Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  1:04:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!
I just signed in and have been getting caught up on all the news,it's just terrible about those tornadoes Kris,I'm sad for the people who lost thier lives so suddenly but very glad you and your loved ones are well and safe.
How's your doe coming along,is she much recovered from her bout of ketosis?
Congrats on the babies Sherrye,sounds like you got a little bumper crop of kids there and I hope they're all doing well!
I finally got a kid yesterday out of the little Nigerian doe,she had a hard time of it and like the other one,showed no mucus or other warnings and then an hour or so after I last checked I was out long reining this colt I'm training when I heard her crying out,I tied him up and went to look and there she was in the middle of the pen,sprawled out with two little feet sticking out of her.
All went well,she had a hard time of getting his head out,she got up several times and repositioned,it seemed to take a long time but I could see the kid's tongue flick in and out and his nostrils flare so I knew he was alright and just waited it out,once she got past the eyes he just plopped right out,a tiny buck kid,he's just adorable and was up and moving in no time.
The doe has been mildly negligent of him,not enough to be dangerous but she kind of just left him sitting there after birth and my older Nigerian doe cleaned him up then when he started squalling and getting to his feet more his dam came back and he was able to nurse.
She just doesn't have the mothering skills the other one has,she's been nursing him and taking care of him just enough and he's very vigorous so I'm not concerned but she does seem rather unconcerned about him and leaves him for long bouts of time and doesn't always respond to his calls.
She's my rescue goat with the double teats,I always planned to eventually cull her out,this little buck kid is so cute,I plan to castrate him and find him a home as a pet or maybe keep him as a pet,not sure what to do with mom,she shouldn't have ever been bred and I need to find a place for her where she won't be bred or I might cull her out eventually.
Anyways,this is long so I'll get wrapped up here,nice to read all the cow stuff,I don't have much experience with milk cows except for a short bout when my Dad bought me a real bucket kicker snorty jersey from the sale barn,I do range cattle work all the time for alot of cow/calf operations around here but I would have to do some studying before I took on a dairy cow.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  3:06:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi Katheryn. Both does are much better. They are still not 100% yet. But Abby is a whole lot better. She turned around and head butted Sandy on the way out of the milkroom earlier. So she's alot better! Tahnks for asking. I had lots of wonderful help from Linda here. She's a good goat mentor. Sounds like you are getting some new babies out there. Wonder why some does just don't want to be mammas. I have not had that problem yet. It's kinda sad. I hope it kicks in and she does better.

That's good cow milking advice, Sherrye and Jenny. I hope to milk Mazie when she has her calf in a few weeks. Never have milked a cow yet but it can't be too awful different than a goat. Bigger and 2 more teats. But not too much.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  4:27:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris,
I'm sure glad to hear that your does are doing better,I figured they would considering you're giving them such great care.
My little doe is doing alright with her baby but she's just not as attentive as my other ones have been,she's very independent minded and just doesn't seem too concerned about him but isn't doing anything dangerous or that will compromise his health,I just like to see a doe show more interest in these first days and so far she hasn't impressed me much but I think he'll get along alright anyways.
Well,glad to hear all is going well on your homefront and with your does!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  04:04:17 AM  Show Profile
Linda- do not think twice about the advice. I was happy to know they were still good. I didn't want the two younger does breed this early, but bucks can be such a handful sometimes. The peace of mind was well worth it not to mention, since I let the vet come out on her schedule, she didn't charge extra. I was also glad to have my bucks leg checked. He is improving. But I have to keep him in his pen. He is not crazy about that!

Sherrye- that is a great price for the vet. Don't you just love the vets who come out, do all the hard work and still keep the prices low!?

I am getting ready to go to the office, I am glad my oldest is here for a little while. I hate to leave the goats with kids due soon. We have been doing split shifts. We check on them every two hours. I keep a monitor with me also. My dd takes the 8pm-1am shift, so she gets up every 2 hours and checks on them. Then I take 1am-8am and do the same. We then do chores and still check every 2 hours during the day.
Yesterday we cleaned out stalls and buckets. I am glad to get it all done. I still have pastures to clean up and plant.
Well I got to go.

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  07:00:33 AM  Show Profile
Catching up on the thread. Have not been on in a few days.

We had so much rain and I finally got most of the mud slides cleaned up. I had to clean the barn everyday for 3 days because the water went through the front half. That doesn't usually happen unless we are getting torrids of rain.I need to buy more straw. Thank goodness half of my barn is raised stalls. They are about 2 ft. off the ground just incase of water overflow. Living in a hilly area has its drawbacks.Glad none of you had any tornado damage there. We just had the flooding and wind.

My 5 goat kids are doing pretty good. The little parrot mouth baby, I named her Peggy, is able to nurse her mama by herself now without my help !!! Her mouth is not as undershot as it was. She's not quite 2 weeks old. I think she is growing out of it slowly. She is very smart, sweet, and very amazing to me. When I hold her she sings and it makes my cry with joy.

Yesterday it was finally sunny and about 12.00 I put them outside with their mamas in a outdoor pen. They really enjoyed running and sidewinding down the hill. I am going to let them out again today when it warms up a bit. Its suppose to not rain until Thursday night and then for a few days. I just hope its not to the extreme it was last time.

My next doe to kid is March 7th or 8th. She is very big and started to act a little off about eating so I started giving her shelled corn,brownsugar water,and cookies. She is eating very well now and I am going to keep up the treats. She didn't stop eating but started acting picky and laying around too much. That makes me nervous so we will see how it goes. I think she is going to have trips again this year.

Well I need to start lanudry, sweep, dust, and 20 other things that I am behind on. You all have a super day and hope its sunny your way too.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  4:56:25 PM  Show Profile
Yep, Miss Abby is back to her mean ole self. I am so glad she is. It's good to see that again after all she's been through. I got them some more sweet snacks. They love the cookies now.

Mazie is looking like she might have that calf any day now. Her udder has doubled in just a few days. And her back end is looking a bit bigger.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  3:35:27 PM  Show Profile
Angie, any babes yet? What is up with these goats? They are just taking their time aren't they? I would be crazy by now.

I just checked on Mazie and she has an udder! It's so cute! I can't even get my whole hand on it now. I am so excited I can hardly stand it! Since yesterday it's gotten bigger. And her back end is getting floppy and loose. Oh my goodness, we could have a calf real soon now. My friend up the road is coming over on the morning to tell me how to sow some fescue up front and I'll get him to check her. He used to have a dairy and now has beef cattle. I am getting more nervous every day.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  3:41:58 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to say I got my cow back from the butcher today. She was 375 hanging. I got alot of meat. Plus 2 briskets. And the tongue and heart and a lot of bones. And it was only $156.00. Not bad.

It sure is quiet here today. Maybe y'all are helping birth babies? Can't wait to hear.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  06:06:56 AM  Show Profile
glad you got your beef back. that is a good amount of meat. are you keeping it all? we have a cow that we cant get bred back. she goes in on monday. your price sounds good too. they are having a sale here. no kill fee. so i save $55.00 thats always good. she is an older cow. not sure she will taste that good. i am going to try her meat BEFORE i pay to have her cut up. then if she is not tastey i will burger and sausage her. i hope she is good. i need to sell some of this girl. my freezers are getting full. we will be doing a pig soon too. hope all the calving and kidding is going well for all. my next cow to have a calf is due in may so a while yet. the goats i think a few weeks. our goat babies are doing super. wanting to jump and play now. mom is so calm and sweet. she is feeding all 3 just fine. cleaning barns today and getting ready for some rain. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  10:23:23 AM  Show Profile
Lots of rain and clouds today. But we are in the upper 40's so it is ok. I will take mud over snow anyday!

Still no babies, but I think we a are close. Now as twinkle lays down her vulva is rounded out. She is losing her mucus plug for sure. It has been a white think string! I still see the babies move on the right, so we are still good. She is eating and moving around. I am ready when she is!

I hope all is well at everybodys place. Safe deliveries!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  11:22:23 AM  Show Profile
My goodness, those girls sure are dragging this out aren't they? Geeze already! I would be an absolute mess by now. I bet they are ready but the kids must really like it in there. I must admit, when I saw you had posted, I was hoping to see they had had them by now. Oh well. Can't be too much longer now.

I am waiting on my friend to come seed my front pasture with fescue. I posted on the garden area about this. He was saying it's best to do this in the fall but he was too busy with hay. So he did it a few weeks ago and his is coming up. So he's going to go ahead and do mine. I want to put lambs out there when my friend's ewes have their's in a few weeks. It should be up and looking good by the time they are weaned and come here. I can hardly wait. I love lambs. These are Suffolk so they will be meat lambs but I would like to keep a few ewes for more. And I want a few fiber sheep too. But I need to have more grass for them first. It's supposed to really rain this weekend so hopefully it will be a good time to plant.

Maize is getting more ready each day. Sorry to bore y'all with her progress, but this is so cool. I didn't see her this morning when I went out and I called her. SHe came running up, without a calf. SO she still has some time yet. I hope she waits awhile longer til the rain is over now.

SHerrye, I hope your cow is good. I have only ever done them when they are 1 1/2 years old so far. Looks like that's about the age that we will be butchering ours. I bet the goat kids are so cute. I like Boer goats. And they are made to be able to have more kids because sometimes they have more teats.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  2:53:22 PM  Show Profile
well i am going to try again to post a pic of the new dexter calf of hippos. he is so cute

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  2:57:43 PM  Show Profile
oh it worked yipee so here is a few of our fur babies down on the farm first is this years calf curly from hippo.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  3:00:20 PM  Show Profile
so this is isabelle and her calf sophia bluebelle isabelle is a rescue cow. she has given us a nice mini heifer and lots of good milk from 2 teats. we love her dearly

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  3:02:15 PM  Show Profile
so now here is the goat family. i have no photos of the new kids yet. but mom is betty boop a boer goat and so sweet she has 3 kids that are 5 days old.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  3:04:02 PM  Show Profile
ginger is a reg. la mancha she is due in a few weeks we hope. she is very quiet. last year we got almost 3 gallons at her peak milking. i had to help her on the milk stand. lol

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  3:07:16 PM  Show Profile
i wanted to post my white park calf. she is so cute. she is the one with warts. yuck. she is hippos calf from last year. she is with her mom and her brother from the tear before. dinner is now dinner. happy days sherrye i just so wanted to share a few pics from the from. i just learned how to move them around. love those daughter in laws. thanks amber

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  3:20:46 PM  Show Profile
ok so 3 times i tried to post and messed up. i wanted to ask you, kris are you having steak for dinner? there is noting like the first steak or bite of our own meat. great pride. good job kris. our sows are due in 4 days. boy i hope they are pregnant. so i had fun practicing pics. can you tell? LOL i think i can do it again even on a different day. i figure it out then days go by and i forget. hope you are all well and chores are easy tonight. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  3:30:09 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I just love that pretty little white speckled calf. Just gorgeous. They all are but she's so cute. I am so jealous that you can put pictures here and I still can't. I have got to get my daughter out here to figure this out. It's killing me to not be able to show off my critters.

My hubby will be here this weekend so we will have some t-bones! I need to take some out of the freezer tonight.

I hope your pigs are pregnant and you get lots of nice healthy little piglets soon. They are so cute when they are small but they sure do grow fast. Mine have 6 weeks to go now and they better start putting on some pounds.

I wanted to ask you if you see a big size difference between male and female pigs. Because my 2 females are just not very big so far. My males seemed to be huge at this stage. I don't know if they will even be 150 pounds by the time they go. I am feeding them lots of bread and gravy and I keep them in a stall. But they just seem really lean to me. Just wondering what you thought.

I got my pasture seeded just now. Man, that machine was huge! We had to take the gate off to get it in there. I had a little bit of fertilizer but only for a few turns. So I need more. I hope my hubby can get some before he comes home tomorrow. Save me from running back to town. So now I wait for nice pretty green fescue to come up soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  3:40:21 PM  Show Profile
wow kris, it will be so nice to have new grass for your critters. we do see a difference in size from boy to girl. also if there is a big size difference then the smaller just dont seem to catch up. when we send the bigger ones to butcher the little ones eat more and grow fairly well. well once i got my photos in a file on my puter it was easy to understand. maybe i could help you too. it will be fun to post pics and i would just love love to see your critters. enjoy your steaks and the hubbie this weekend. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  05:07:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sherrye I loved all those opics! Thanks for sharing. You have some beautiful animals.
I am going to plant grass seed today. I am also looking into some chickory seed and some dandelion. They are so great for the goats.
Well I am a busy lady today so I will see you all later.

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  05:48:24 AM  Show Profile
It's sprinkling here this morning. Just right for new grass seeds. What kind are you planting, Angie? I didn't think about putting other seeds in with the fescue. This will be mainly for sheep. I sure wish we could have gotten that big ole tractor and seeder out back but all I have is a walk through gate. We really need to get a big wide gate put in back there so we can get tractors in to bush hog and seed. It needs it bad. But maybe by fall.

Mazie is really getting floppy! This is awful, all this waiting. Every morning I look out there hoping to see a nice pretty calf but nothing yet.

Sandy is huge. I am thinking triplets for her maybe. Abby is back down to looking like just a single kid. If she has twins they'll be very small. I am thinking what made her so sick is she ate a small azalea that day she got out. I was looking at them all and saw one with just a little branh left. So I bet she ate that and got sick. I am surprised it din't kill her. They are very poisonous for goats. SO y'all watch out. She looked like she had 2 basketballs poking out each side. Now she looks normal. I hope it didn't hurt the babies. We shall see soon.

I hope y'all have a great weekend. And some babies!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  05:50:23 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, Ginger looks like one of Abby's girls. I was wanting to get her but the ladie's son kept saying no, that was his goat. She was beautiful. So I got Abby instead. I'm really glad I did though because she is the best easiest milker ever.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  06:23:24 AM  Show Profile
thanks for all the nice words about our animals. we do love our stock. so angie is planting seed too. wow. i think its time for us to start some cabbage seeds etc. wel i am wishing maizie would have her baby too. so exciting all the new life. please let us know right away. the rain will be good for your seeds for sure. cloudy and 45 today. a good day for cleaning the barn. hope its a fine day for all happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  05:20:28 AM  Show Profile
Angie, still no babies from yours yet?

It finally quit raining yesterday morning. I am so glad it didn't rain anymore. Now I will wait for the sun to come out and draw up all those grass seeds we planted and all the fields to green up. I can almost see it already.

Maize still hasn't had hers. I guess she might go another few weeks now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page