Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  08:33:02 AM  Show Profile
angie, thanks for the reply. i am going to try it today and see what they do. we are warming up out of the negetive numbers. we are 2o degrees now. mmmmmm warm.LOL had a rough night last night. so here it is 8:15 and no chores done. just got up gads. sun is out so tractor work today. i have been locking betty and ginger up. hoping something will happen in march. i hate not knowing. i have been giving warm molasses water to the girls and calves. tired of the bucket hauling. now we need hay again. so ready for some green grass. well then i need to learn about grass tetany. any knowledge here it on girls? i put out extra hay last night, so glad i did since i am late. kris that sounds like soooo much fun. wish you all lived closer. what did you have for lunch? what did you buy? happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  08:35:30 AM  Show Profile
hi debbie, so glad you joined us. storeys guide to goats is a good book. there is one for meat and one for dairy. i still use mine. of course coming here and reading and asking questions is awesome too. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  12:19:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!
Sorry I haven't been around the last few days,I've just been busy,trying to do all the things my doctor said I shouldn't do with a fractured hip,I've fallen behind on my trimming work so I've been trimming goats,trimming horses and even managed to get back in the saddle the other day.
I'm still waiting on babies from my other Nigerian Dwarf,I think she's going to go forever,I think she's got twins in there but I could be wrong.
It would figure that my one poorly bred fishtailed teat rescue goat would be the one to have multiples,I've been trying to figure out what to do with her since she isn't any good for breeding further and her babies won't be any good for breeding,I'm hoping someone will want some pet Dwarf goats and take them off my hands,I've thought about culling her and her babies out but I just haven't had the heart to do it even though I know I should.
Anyways,Kris I hope your doe is doing much better,sounds like she's coming along,sometimes they're a little slow to get going but I think all will ultimately go well.
Alfalfa is high here too,I've been buying 3x3x8 bales of grass and then straight alfalfa when i can get it,when I can't get good prices on bales I buy the bagged cubes and then soak them for the goats,offering them free choice grass and soaked alfalfa with thier grain and beet pulp in the mornings.
Well,I hope you've gotten babies by now Angie,take care ladies!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  2:45:13 PM  Show Profile
Wow Kristin, what a great day! I hope to meet up with some of you ladies someday.
Sherrye- let me know how those wood chips do. I was pricing straw today. I think I may have to go with wood chips. I have a relative that owns a company I can get them for free. They are clean, no metal. So I may do that. Just scared.
Kathryn- nice to see you here again. Don't go at all the normal stuff to fast. I would hate you to get hurt again. I have had some great injuries!

Well no babies yet. But man was the one doe, cotton acting crazy. I will be watching her close. Her vulva keepps like pulsing. Both her and twinkle have very thin, soft pin bones, and they also have almost rounded out vulvas. So I would say it has to be soon. I love having all of you to bounce this stuff off of.

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  2:47:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah... My one buck seems to have a hot like spot on his front leg. He is not putting much pressure on it. I coated it with bag balm, and wrapped it. I was thinking I would shave it in the morning and see what is going on. I can bend it. And I do not feel anything broken.
Any sugestions?

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  6:30:53 PM  Show Profile
welI FINALLY BABIES.. we are happy to anounce BETTY BOOP is a mommy. at 1:30 TODAY BETTY HAD 4 KIDS. THEY CAME WHEN I TURNED MY BACK FOR AN HOUR. trimmed her hooves and went and fed cows. came back and there were 4. one was drowned in bag already, one i resuscitated 2 were fine. they are 2 bucks and a doe. so far the runt one that was stuck in sack is slow. i held him up to nurse. he latched on and drank for about 4 minutes. i gave bo-se shot which really helps them get a good start. about 15 minutes after bo-se the runt nursed. dipped their navals and their hooves in iodine. mom ate alfalfa and hay and drank warm molasses. they are in barn in hut with heat lamp on. so very very cute. happy days here sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  6:38:17 PM  Show Profile
4! Wow. I can't even imagine 4 kids. But only 3 are living? I bet you are so happy to finally have some goat babies. I hope it got a little warmer there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  7:07:26 PM  Show Profile
yes kris, i think if i had been there sooner i could have saved the 4th. he drowned in the bag. i saved one with help from my dear friend mary. she came by to see if i needed help with chores. little did we know betty needed us. we heard a kid cry and went running. so 4 in less than an hour and a half. she just drank another half gallon strong molasses water. she ate 6 slices of bread too. she is very happy and busy. so barn is all lit up. i will go through the night and check them. it is 20 degrees now so warmer yes. i used a heating pad on babies today with a towel wrap to warm them fast. it sure helped the stress level of all of us to see them warm. one is a cry baby wow noisy and i think 2 have the toggle thingies.lol they look all boar for sure. they are so narrow and tiny. this is so fun you guys i think the lamancha will be next her name is ginger. happy days here sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  02:19:20 AM  Show Profile
Wow Sherrye - that is great! I am glad to hear you saved one. I think that is my big fear, drowned babies. Especially with new young moms.
No kids yet.

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  05:44:10 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sherrye. How are the kids this morning? And still no kids from Angie's yet? They should have had something by now, I would think. I went to your blog and they do look really big. Are they eating?

It is SO hot here. ANd it was yesterday too. But inside the house was freezing. I had to turn the heat on to get the chill out. Then this morning it is very warm out there. And windy and trying to rain. On the news it says we could have severe weather. It's supposed to get to 74. Man, that's kinda scary. We have tornado watches out in Tn. which is right up the road from here. But the rest of the week will be dry til Friday. Then more rain. We do need rain but no tornadoes please! And I have got to get up on the roof of the goat barn. When it's really windy the tin at the South end is flopping up. It's noisy and it could be blown off. Then wet animals. Not good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  06:16:22 AM  Show Profile
Angie if your doe has been leaking fluid that long I think you have a problem. Anytime my does did that more than 12 to 24 hours their was a positioning problem. The fact she is acting the way she is would be a red flag for me.
I would check to see if she is dialated. If she is fully dialated then you need to check out whats going on inside or find someone who can. I may be totally wrong but what you are describing makes me nervious and felt I should say something. Back on the other page you mentioned she had a brown discharge. That is old blood and is not normal either. Anyway I am not trying to freak you out but please check it out.
I hope everything is okay and she has her babies fine.Let us know how they are doing. Good luck to you all.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  06:38:00 AM  Show Profile
OK calling the vet!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  06:43:30 AM  Show Profile
oh my angie, please keep us up to date. so hoping things are ok with her. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  08:04:52 AM  Show Profile
hey farmgirls, can the goats and cows eat yew and be ok? can betty boop feed 3 babies? should i try to supplement one? should i pull one? so far she is caring for all 3. they seem ok today. they are so thin. one big boy one bigger girl and one runt boy. wondering about the runt getting enough food??? what do you think? thanks sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  09:03:43 AM  Show Profile
Who hear milks a cow and can anyone give me pointers I have been buying Raw milk for about 1 year but I have to drive 3 hours one way. I have 2 jersys that we use as nurse mama's for calvs around the ranch and want to start milking. Do I have to do any test on them and if so what kind and also how do you get the milkto cool down fast. Just in general pointers on all of it. Thanks so much hope to hear from yawl soon.
Susie from Texas

Be Safe & Be Blessed
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  09:27:59 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I have only had 1 doe that ever had triplets. And she did fine with all 3. I did try several times to help them with a bottle but they didn't want anything to do with it. They were all 3 big and healthy kids. When I put Holly on the milk stand they'd all come in with her and nurse her really good then. Because sometimes she'd walk away while they tried to nurse. Maybe with the littlest one you could supplement at least one feeding but make sure he's actually nursing. You made sure they all got colostrum?

And yews are very poison aren't they? That's what I have always heard. Along with azaleas and ivy. And wild cherry.

Susie, you have 2 Jerseys and you're driving 6 hours to get raw milk? I would for sure be milking those cows. You can put the calves up at night and milk in the morning. They should be fine. And you can put the strained milk in a bucket of ice water to cool it down real fast. You could have them tested but that could take time to get results. I get raw cow milk from a friend and she doesn't. I have goats and their milk has not been tested. Have the cows ever been milked before? Do you have a place to milk them?

Angie, any news yet?

Linda, how are all yours?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  2:18:51 PM  Show Profile
The vet came on out and took a look. She is just starting to dialate. The vet tested the fluid it is just vaginal secretions and urine. She thinks delivery will be in the nest 2-5 days. she agrees she will go first and she is very ready. But the babies are still doing good, moms are still eating good and their have good attitudes. She does think the pushing is more of discomfort due to first time moms and they are pushing the kids into position along with pushing the mucus plug too. But both small does still have their mucus plugs. So it sounds good.
She also gave me a shot for my buck it is for his injury to his upper leg. It is hot so we are doing antibiotics and steriods to be sure it heals well. Nothing is broken. So it was well worth the 60 dollars!

Thanks for all your help. I am glad to have youn ladies.

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  4:01:11 PM  Show Profile
Yes I have milked them for the baby calves before they are gentle to the most part. Yes I have a shutte we use to work our cows in but my Husband Doug said he would fix me a more cleaner please to do that. He just needs to look at something to go by. One jersy came from a dairy and the other was raise on the place you can mil her but not as good at being still. If you oyu have any more advice you would like to give me it would be wonderful. Thank you so much for the help.

Be Safe & Be Blessed
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  04:45:31 AM  Show Profile
Angie glad they are okay. When I was reading your discription in the previous pages it didn't sound good. But I am glad the vet checked them and they are okay. Sorry you spent the money on my suggestion. I was hoping you could check them yourself or have a friend check them. Anytime my does have had fluid coming out they have always been in labor and the squatting part means they were pushing.
Its hard to help long distance when you can't see the animal and only have discriptions. Anyway I hope they do well and once again so sorry. I know Nigerians are a hardy breed.

I went to your blog and looked at their pictures and they sure are sure cute. Best of luck.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  05:12:15 AM  Show Profile
Angie, I am so glad everything is ok. So really, any day now for sure! And I did notice you have 2 bucks. They could have been "playing" a bit too rough and that one got the brunt of it. I hope he recovers and is back to normal soon. These animals can sure give us a scare more than we like, Or can afford. But for your piece of mind, I think $60. is a good way to do it. So now we just wait for good news.

Susie, I was hoping some cow milkers would get on here with more advice. I just know how my friend has her milk room all set up. She has 2 Jerseys and has a machine. Her hubby made a lean-to on the side of their little storage barn. Put concrete floor with a drain in the center. They have water and electric. And a place for the cows to eat while being milked. Once they do this a few days and they know they get good feed, they come running to be milked. Hers can hardly wait to get in there. I wish I could post pictures and I could show you.

My house is old and it came with 3 rooms to the side of the house. The first room is where I feed my cats. It's a storage room also. The middle in the garage. The end room is the goat milk room. I have their stanchions in there. It has a door and concrete floors for easy cleaning. I store hay in there as well. It just makes it so much easier to have a dedicated place where the cow or goat knows that's where she goes to eat and get milked. It also has their feed barrel. I hope you get your going soon and get that good fresh milk right from the back yard.

Now Sandy is acting strange. Just nibbling at her feed. So I gave them both some more Probios and Nutra drench. I just put them both up front where the new grass and clover is coming up and looks so good. I'll leave them there til I go to Bible study at 12:30. They have 6 weeks to go and I hope it flies by if it' going to be like this the rest of the way.

Sherrye, how are your kids this morning?

And Linda's?

It's a beautiful day here. Yesterday was really scary. We had several tornadoes. A few people were killed in mobile homes. Trees crashed down onto houses all over. Cars crushed. And my hubby was right in the path in Kemball, Tn. in the Walmart parking lots. I was talking to him warning him that it was coming right for him when it started hailing and just pouring sheets of really hard rain. His truck was rocking back and forth like crazy. It lasted about 10 minutes. Then headed to Chattanooga. The power was knocked out all over the place. But right here in our valley we just got rain. But the winds the night before were a little scary. I am so glad it's gone. But so sad those men lost their lives. Just sitting in their recliners in their homes. Just like that. Gone. You just never know when it's your time.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  05:57:14 AM  Show Profile
good morning farmgirls, had the vet here yesterday. we did bangs shots for 3 calves. 2 dexters and sophie the jersey. now they are girls for sure with their ear tags. we made the new calf a steer. he did the cut and pull. boy was mom not happy. baby barely made a noise once caught. our vet walked into the field and lassoed the calf. good job jake. then he checked betty for me. said all is good. wants me to feed her extra since there is 3. so i think we have a time to go for the others. the babies are soooo cute.KRIS i am so glad you are ok. stay warm and cozy my friend. ANGIE still no babies? waiting on linda too. well the vet caught the calf and cut him, did 3 bangs and checked cocoa for breeding then checked betty and i bought 50.00 worth of dog wormer. the bill was only 168.00 counting wormer. very affordable.oh we checked freckles wart. he thinks it could be a vaccination gone bad at injection site. maybe not a wart? so he rubbed it hard and wiggled it to irritate it. hoping it may fall off. we shall see i may have him operate and remove it later. it looks awful. she is so cute otherwise. the vet visit was 40.00 then the wormer was 50.00 so he did all this for a good price. well gotta check the kids. hope all the goats and cows are good today. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  06:28:13 AM  Show Profile
hi susie, thought i could share how i milked. papa built me a room with a concrete floor and drain. all recycled lumber. i have a very strong head lock for her. now i really do not need a head lock most times but, there are times i do. i would change the feed part if i could. belle is headed up to the wall. she has a 2 by 4 foot bin to eat in. i have seen where a 50 gallon barrel is cut. when done correctly you have no mess from uneaten food to draw mice. mine has a loose bowl that scoots. very noisy as she pushes it back and forth to get every bite. as you know cows bend take a bite lift head drop half of the food and chew. LOL my bowl needs to be deeper and not scoot around. she has learned to get her own bowl for me though on command. so very cute. we made our milk room to small for belle. so size matters. she manages to wiggle in each day. i wish it was a walk through. so cow enters milks and leaves out different door. belle backs up turns and leaves the way she came in. more difficult on icey days for her. i do have a round metal frame along her sides. it keeps her from rocking and shifting too much. when she first freshened and was full of edema it helped keep me safe. i use a machine. then strain through gold screen filter and into 1/2 gallon jars. well i hope this helps you some. there are many ways to do things. lots of girls hand milk. my hands will not let me. i am still learning as i go here on the farm. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

JenStewart
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jenny
Armada Michigan
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  08:11:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Susie. I hand milk my Jersey cow everyday. I love it. I had the vet come out after we purchased her and he said she needed no milk testing. She had her proper ear tags. I am able to milk her anywhere. But I prefer in the barn. She comes running to get milked.
My routine: I show up at the barn with 2 milk pails and enough half gallon mason jars(for the milk), 2 litre pop bottle full of hot water, bowl and scrub rags, carrots for treats, funnel,baby calf bottle and 3-4 cheese cloth rags. I already have her hay, brush,grain and a few 5 gallon buckets in the barn. So I walk in and give har a few carrots and kisses as I scoop up all the poop from last night. Then I spread new bedding down. I then brush and scratch her. Next I pour the hot water into the bowl and wipe her udder clean and dry it. It usually is clean but once in awhile she will have manure on her udder. I then clothespin my muslin rags to the milk pails. Fill the 5 gallon buckets with the ice cold well water. I give her hay and grain. Then i carry in my 2 milk pails and proceed to milk. As 1 pail fills I then pour it into the large one and strain again as it pours through the muslin. I cover that with another rag so the chickens leave the foam alone. When i get to the point where she is not giving any more milk I stop and carry the milk pails out.I put all the milk into the large milk bucket and I go back in and let the calf out of her stall. I open the barn door to the pasture while the calf gets comfortable and picks what side she wants to nurse on. Wash my hands and then start milking on one side while the calf nurses on the other. I place an old white 5 gallon bucket behind her feet and for some reason the calf will not come to my side with that there. The calf is 7 months old and huge. I get about a gallon from her while i milk with the calf and then let the calf finish nurse/stripping her. I then pour that milk through the muslin and let it strain into the large milk pail. Some mornings the muslin starts to freeze between pours of milk. Next I put the large funnel on the 1/2 gallon mason jars and pour the milk from my large pail into them. Screw on the lids and submerge them in the 5 gallon buckets with cold water. I also fill the baby bottle for the new calf we purchased and feed her.Afetr the calf is done nursing I wipe her udder dry and cover her with bag balm. I usually do this outside because while I am feeding the baby calf they walk outside. I then finish the rest of the barn chores and take milk prestrained and chilled milk to the fridge. I hope that was helpful. It sounds like alot of work but it just becomes a habit and I really enjoy it!! I do hope in a few years to build a milking parlor but we have a lot of other things we need first. Jenny
Go to Top of Page

JenStewart
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jenny
Armada Michigan
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  08:25:36 AM  Show Profile
Oops~I forgot to mention that before I collect any milk I squirt each teat 3-4 times each so fresh milk comes out. Then I squirt a little on the back of my wrist and taste the milk from each teat. It must be sweet. If it tastes salty it is starting to get mastitis. I do this with out thinking and I guess it is gross to some people to see me do that. It is a habit for me. You can use a strip cup instead. Goodluck!!
Go to Top of Page

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  11:40:44 AM  Show Profile
Thank everyone so much it has help alot. Everyone on has been so sweet. I will let you know how it goes.

Be Safe & Be Blessed
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page