Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  05:59:45 AM  Show Profile
This morning Abby was outside. Still had to go get her to bring her to the milk room. I gave her all that stuff again. She now hates me. But while Sandy was in their she didn't eat anything. I don't know if it was because she was in there alone or what. So even after we came in she still didn't eat. I went ahead and dosed her with all that stuff too just in case. Geeze, she's like a darn bull! She had me all over that room. Good grief! Abby is way bigger but no real problem. So they have warm molasses water and they are both out back trying to get to the sun. It was about 35 last night with a light freeze. I am going to try to find some alfalfa today. I called a guy yesterday but he has a 10 bale minimum at $8.50 a bale. So no. I just want a few right now.

I have got to clean this house. A bunch of the MJF farmgirls are coming to Desoto State Falls just up the road and will be coming to my house. Ugh! SO I have got to get out there in the yard and clean up the burial ground. It looks like a cow was butchered in the front yard with all the dog bones out there. I had hauled a wagon full of the older bones way out back in the woods a month or so ago. And one by one, that darn Bubba jumped over the fence and carried every single one of them back in the yard. So they will have to go to the dump. I am looking forward to them coming but what a mess I have to clean. So gotta go now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  06:14:20 AM  Show Profile
well you sure are up and running early. i sure hope your girls are ok. that will be fun to have farmgirls over. sounds like you have things under control. it is a lot of work sometimes. hope you have a fine day. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  07:40:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!
Kris I hope your doe is getting better,sometimes ketosis treatment can be a little slow,don't get discouraged just keep feeding her up and doing what you're doing,I've had a couple does afflicted with ketosis and as long as you notice the symptoms before they actually go down and slip into a coma the chances are real good that she'll start coming around,I wouldn't expect you to lose her or the kids.
One way to treat ketosis is by giving propylene glycol orally with 40 units of insulin IM,this is what I do when faced with a really bad case but mostly I just up the feeding with COB (Corn,Oats Barley) with extra blackstrap molasses and honey or molasses water given free choice.
Tina I have Nubians and Nigerian Dwarf goats currently but I used to keep Alpines and Saanen,I did have a couple Oberhasli does as well,all are great goats with thier special charms and benefits,my Alpines and Saanens were the heaviest producers but the Alpines have a bit more of an aloof personality.
I like the Nubians for thier old world appearance and they have good heat tolerance,they give a slightly lower milk yield than some of the other dairy breeds but they have great butterfat content to thier milk which is great for home dairying.
Alot might depend on what is available close to you,you could try looking up the website of your local American Dairy Goat Association chapter,they usually have listings of breeders,you may be able to find someone close to you.
Whether you buy purebred or crossbred goats I recommend buying from a reputable keeper who can provide papers stating the animals you purchase are CAE free and who can offer future breeding services or referrals to someone who can provide buck or AI service.
Good luck to you in your goat venture,let us know if we can answer any questions for you!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  09:57:17 AM  Show Profile
oh kathryn i am so glad you are here with us. i love all your hands on knowledge. its so great we can all share and be one big brain. LOL hope all the goats are well. i have never heard of the insulin pro-gly. im before. i think i would be pretty scared. i love the real molasses. yum so does belle. she gets a lot of it daily on her alfalfa pellets in milk room. do you know of a good dairy mineral salt? i use redmond and loose kelp. but kfc. says its not enough for milk cows. need some more cal and mag etc for her? thanks girls sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  10:06:55 AM  Show Profile
Abby's outside enjoying the sunshine and eating grass! I so hope she gets over this. I can't imagine her not around. I let the pigs out at noon and tried to get the goats up front but she wouldn't come out. Sandy did. I have been cleaning up the yard. I wish I had a heavy duty blower now. That driveway is a mess.

Katheryn, thanks for your input too. I hope it was ok to give Sandy all that I did this morning. Just to be on the safe side. I will go get the corn, oats and barley. The guy just called that had a 10 bale minimum on his alfalfa. He said he'd go ahead and sell me a few bales! ANd he's near where I get my feed.

Sherrye, how are all your girls? Any goat babies yet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  4:39:47 PM  Show Profile
Y'all are probably tired of hearing all the news about my goats. Sorry. But this is a good way for me to see what's going on too. And when.

I went to get some alfalfa hay. No wonder that stuff is so expensive. It weighs a ton! Goodness. I get all our hay and it's a pain to load then unload and stack. It's heavy but not this heavy. I can't even imagine getting to laod a hundred bales of this stuff. It would kill me! And I woul dhave to charge $20 a bale. I hate to see the poor guys who work with this in 30 years. They probably won't be able to stand up straight.

Abby was out back eating grass most of the day. Then while I was feeding the chickens their evening scratch Sandy came over. I gave her a handful and she scarfed it up like water. So I brought her in and gave her a quart of that. Then had to chase poor Abby all over to catch her. She is associating the milk room now with bad things going on in there. I probabky should not have given her all this horrible stuff in there. So amyway, caught her and brought her in. She ate some of the grain. Tehn dosed her up again. Then brought them each a flake of alfalfa hay. They were both eating that when I left the barn. So I think Abby's improving! I am so glad. I am broke now.

Have a great night. American Idol is on tonight. Any AI fans out there? There is a very local girl still on. She's from Rossville. Lauren Alaina. By the looks of the previews I don't know if she made it through the Las Vegas round. I hope she was just crying happy tears.

Night all. Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  5:31:06 PM  Show Profile
kris so glad they are better. hey they will get the runs from alfalfa. you need to ease them into it i think. i could be wrong but my cows get the runs. want your goats to be ok. so glad you got all your stuff done. very happy they are better. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  04:47:23 AM  Show Profile
I am glad to hear Kris' goat is doing good. I know how it affects us when they are sick. Two of my does that are due soon were very restless lastnight. A lot of noise and moving around. I checked on them late and was fine. I think they are really close. So keeping monitors on all the time. I am getting ready to go check on thm soon.
How is everybody holding up with yet another bad weather system? I so want spring. I am sick of the cold weather. I am just asking for the 40-50 degree mark. Just a couple of days!?
Oh well!
Saty warm and safe

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  05:16:42 AM  Show Profile
Well I am back from checking on the girls and doing chores. One doe, cotton has a sticky wet like tail and the other Twinkle has a mucus looking substance haning from her. So I do believe any day is a for sure thing. They all have milk bags and all are way needy. I know the milk is not a for sure, but I think with everything else it is a sign.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  05:37:38 AM  Show Profile
Angie, how exciting! New babies! If Twinkle has a mucos string, she's not far off. We had a storm here late last night. Real strong winds. Lots of rain but it moved real fast and didn't last too long. The rain. But the winds were all day yesterday and last night. The satellite didn't go out and I got to see that Lauren Alaina made it through to the top 24!! I am so excited for her.

Abby is eating again! Not like she always has, like gobbling it up like she'll never get more. But slowly. SHe ate lots of bread and an apple. I got whole corn delivered to my house last night. The feed store hadn't gotten their delivery yet when I was there so they brought it to me. Isn't that good service? So why does feed taste better in a big red Folgers container than in their feed trough on the milk stand? Silly goats. SO I gave each one a can of their own in the trough. They ate like pigs.

And they DO NOT like the very expensive alfalfa hay. Those goats are SO picky about their hay. They will only eat my friend's hay. But that's ok. I am just glad she's eating period. She was out alot yesterday/ Lots of new grass coming up.

When I got home yesterday, Mazie, the big red heifer-soon to be cow, was in the garden. I looked all over to see how she got in there. There is a section of field fence (with barbed wire on top to keep this from happening) that she pushed down and climbed right over. So first thing I had to get that fixed. I tell ya what, if that bif red cow girl wants out, she gets out! And nothing can stop her. I want to put her in the front pasture but the whole front part is very old wooden fence. Alls she'd have to do (and she has) is lean against it and there it'll go. And also she had torn up the corner of feild fence and was out in the other pasture one day. SO I need some new fence before I put her out there again. I want to get some ewes too.

My hubby was in Memphis last night at a truck stop with an empty trailor. A sitting duck. They were having really severe weather there and have already had 3 tornadoes. I need to call him and see if he made it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  06:11:08 AM  Show Profile
farmgirl adventures at your house kris. lol darn cow anyway. so glad the goats are getting back to normal. how much did your beef steer hang at. i remember you took him out. maizie is probably looking for her buddy. maybe when she has her baby she will settle for a while and not push your fence. one more time storms here. now we are going to be -2 degrees tonight.its 16 right now.brrrr. please keep us informed. you have lots of babies coming soon. yipee happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  06:35:55 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kris, sounds like your does are starting to eat again. I would back off on the Keto-plus and maybe just give her a little nutra drench or brown sugar and warm water for a few days and see how it goes. I think I would offer her the brown sugar water everyday just to keep her carbs up and maybe a cup of corn a day along with her regular feed. So glad she is eating better. It sounds like she is straightning out.

We had rain all day yesterday and it poured all night. I was out at the barn from 10:30 to 11:30 digging trenches trying to divert the water from running through my barns. The hills above them were running like waterfalls. The news guy said our area had already seen 1/2 inche of rain. My jaw fell open because we already had 2 inches of rain and 4 by 11:00 and it poured all night. I don't know where he got his info from but we were flooding like crazy here. This morning went out and there are mud slides around my barn. Spend about an hour shoveling them away but my back couldn't take it anymore so I am taking a break. Will work on it more over the next few days. Hopefully hubby will help this weekend and my son if they don't have to work.

The temp dropped to 31 and it started snowing big flakes. This weather is so weird and I just want a few days of sun. But I can see we will get a break tomorrow and then rain for many days. I hope everyone else is getting better weather.

Angie sounds like your does are in the first stages of labor. Good luck to you all and hope its a easy delivery for all of you. Can't wait to hear what they have.

Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  10:47:13 AM  Show Profile
Kristin- that cow is funny! We had a cow who would never go far but always looking for an out!

Sherrye- do you have aby babes coming, I was thinking you did, but I forgot.[THAT IS MY OLD AGE!!HA HA]

So I was thinking it would be soon, but she is really relaxed. Now not wanting me at all. Which is abnormal for her. She is a lap goat! LOL LOL
She still has mucus, but it is not clear, now it is brownish. And it is not stringy, just like 1/2 an inch. Does it not get as long for the small goats as it does larger animals?
I keep going out and checking. I think I need to go get some more heat bulbs. I have two burned out. At night we are gonna be in the teens.

I have been watching goat deliveries on youtube, man some of those people don't have a clue! Flies everywhere, deliveries at fairs, not to mention other animals walking around!

That was another question, all three of my girls are together. When they go in to hard labor should I move them so they are seperated. But I will not be able to keep them seperate. So should I still seperate them?

Well drinking coffe and chillin for now. I hope you all are doing good and staying warm!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  10:58:20 AM  Show Profile
Angie, mine always went a few days apart so I always tried to keep them in a stall for a few days after kidding. Just to keep the kids safe. Then when they are about a week old they all go out together like one big ole happy family. Ha! The kids all get along but the mothers are another story. Now with just 2 goats I hope it will be easier. I hope the pigs will be gone before they have the kids. The pigs have a date with the butcher the middle of April and that's when the kids are due. I might have to move the goats up front if they go earlier than that. Then hopefully the 2 turkeys up there will be in the freezer. I need more room!

I looked out the window awhile ago and there were the pigs nibbling on cow bones. I had to run out there and put them back in the pen. They were nipping at my legs the whole way too. Then there were a bunch of stupid chickens in the pen and all but 3 got out. I had to go get some milk to occupy the pigs so I could shoo the rest of the stupid chickens out before they were dinner. Always something around here to keep me busy. If it's not chasing pigs and cows it's fixing gates and fences. Those pigs sure keep the goats up and running.

Maize never goes too far either. She's miss me too much if she got lost, the big baby. I have been rubbing her belly and pulling on her teats so she'll get used to it. She just stands there and lets me do it. I need to start brushing her too. She's such a sweet girl.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  12:26:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh man Kris, she sounds so sweet!
I need to look over our options and see how we can seperate everybody, hmm. Now worring on that!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

dprovence
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Debbie
Little Rock AR
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  1:10:06 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon!

I want to start raising a few dairy goats and was wondering where to start. Do any of you ladies have any suggestions on books or anything like that for me to read up on or blogs or just posting on here. I have not ever had an animal that needed to be milked so I am a TRUE green horn and need all the help I can get. Thanks in advance for your advice!!! :->

Huggs and Smyles,
Debbie
Farmgirl Sister #2636
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  2:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Hey Linda. Sorry bout that. But Bubba has been known to scratch up some car doors and I had to stop him quick. I didn't get a chance to ask you if you got all your mud cleaned up. I bet you're pooped. I know we need the rain but I do not like the mud. So while I was outside talking to my company I looked over at the camper and saw something orange on the ground. Not moving. I went to look and it's a dead Buff hen. That darn dog must of gotten too crazy with her and brike her neck. Whenever anyone comes up the driveway Bubba starts chasing anything that moves and it just happens to be chickens. He's never gotten hold of one but today he did. And of course he doesn't know what he's done is bad. So there goes another hen. Couldn't have killed a stinkin' rooster, could he?

Hi Debbie. Books a great but there's nothing like hands on experience. I just got goats then learned all about them. Well, you never really know all there is to know. I learn new stuff every day. If you have read any of the posts here, you know what I mean. Something new all the time around here. I can go awhile with no problems then whammo!, here we go! But if you know anyone who has goats that would like help (and I don't know anyone who would turn you away) go offer your assistance. You'll learn alot just by watching and asking questions. I guess first thing you need to decide if you get milk goats is if you ever want to go anywhere ever again. They don't take vacations!

Antway, I have to go feed the starvin' critters. Y'all have a great weekend.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

dprovence
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Debbie
Little Rock AR
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  2:56:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kris that is a great idea! I do know some folks around here that raise goats but never thought to go and volunteer to help them out. I am sure they will accept!

As for the vacation, I don't know if I will ever get to go on one again if gas prices keep going up. LOL

Thanks again for the help!

Huggs and Smyles,
Debbie
Farmgirl Sister #2636
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  4:07:59 PM  Show Profile
I know that. It's around $3.35 here and that was yesterday. No telling what it's at today. And I have a Trooper thattakes about $60. worth. I haven't been anywhere in years. My parents started coming up to my house for Thanksgiving and Christmas. They finally just went ahead and bought a house here.

My friend, who's buck I borrowed, just called. Her first doe just delivered twin does! I am so excited for her. She has had the worst luck these past few years with does and kids dying. And to get twin does! I am not going to get my hopes up. I haven't had doe kids in a few years now. Bit I am happy for her. Jealous too but happy.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  8:14:42 PM  Show Profile
how exciting to learn new things. i know i learn every day. i bought a bunch of chips and shavings from an arbor tree co. now i need to know if you all think if i use it for bedding or paths will the cows and goats and pigs over eat the chips or if well fed with hay would they leave it alone ? thought you girls might have a thought. i have grands tonight. oh my. gotta go find a dollie now. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  06:14:13 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I have no idea. I only use shavings in the turkey and chicken coops. I hope someone else will help you with this. I do know that when we butchered those 2 turkeys there was alot of shavings in their craw.

So what about very pregnant cows and alfalfa? Since my VERY picky goat eaters are not eating the VERY expensive alfalfa hay, can I give some to Mazie? She's due middle of March. Just wondering.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  07:58:47 AM  Show Profile
thanks kris, i am going to put a few chips in a pile and see if they eat it first. i feed belle alfalfa. my thought is if you feed her a little amount and get her used to it she could eat the alfalfa. belle likes both the hay and alfalfa. they say they need the hay for warmth and alfalfa is for muscles etc. the other girls might think differently. even my goats like my alfalfa. we were -09 last night. so gotta go turn the goats out of barn. talk with you all later today. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  4:09:49 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, that's way too cold. I am so glad we are not that cold anymore. And I hope we don't get that cold again.

So tonight when I was feeding the goats, I noticed that Sandy had a little goo discharge. I hope they don't miscarry. Abby seems to be so much better. They ate good today. And she is not near as big as she was a few days ago. I think she was really bloated. And she looked like she might have 4 or 5 kids in her. Now she only looks like she could have twins again. So I don't know. It's too strange. But they are both eating so much better.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  05:44:35 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye- I understand shavings like this, as long as they are not really small chips, or chips of trees that animals can get poisoned by then it is safe. But I think I would still offer a littl and see what happens. As long as no ewe bushes or anything like that are in there. Ewe bushes are very, very poisonus! I lost three cows and two calves to those bushes.

That is so cold Sherrye, I am glad we havent been that cold here. We are actually getting warmer! YEAH!

Kristin- That is great news to hear about you friends doe. I hope you are luckier this year.

Well still no kids here. Lastnight I was out there every two hours. The one, Twinkle is still dripping fluids. Not a lot just a little dap always there. And Cotton was arching her back, then squating then arching her back again. Then she would stare off in to space. I think she is feeling something as she is also licking at her sides. I will post pics to my new blog when the kids are born.

Stay warm and dry!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  06:48:20 AM  Show Profile
This morning both goats ran to the milkroom and ate like they's just come out of a coma. Like pig goats again! I am so relieved. I hope this continues and they both go to term and have healthy kids. About 6 weeks to go now.

Angie, I hope you get some healthy kids today. It sounds like they could just have them any minute now. This is the part I don't like. The last minute waiting. Takes forever. But then the minute you run to get the camera or another cup of coffee, you get back and there they are. All done. It's just that fast. And it's happened to me alot. And both Abby and Sandy have always had theirs at night and I go out in the morning and there they are. Brand new little goaties. Love it! So I can't wait to hear some good news soon. Maybe later today? Good luck.

Sherrye, any warmer there yet? I have my windows open here. It was actually warm last night. And warmer outside than in the house. That's why I opened windows. I hope you get warmed up out there soon.

Us Southern gals had a great time yesterday. I met Daizy and her friend Jamie and Kristy and her sister-in-law. All from Alabama. And Kelly Wall from Tn. We all met up at Desoto State Park. Had a great time getting to know each other. I already knew Kelly. Then we all went to Mentone and had a great lunch at a little cafe. Then went to an antique store that used to be a "house of entertainment" way back in the day. It's a huge 2 story white house with transoms over each window and each room had a bathroom. So it was later turned into a motel fo vacationing rich folk. Beautiful old building. Lots of history there. We found some nice things. Then we all went to my house. They all got to meet the critters. Daizy looked at Mazie and said she's got another month at least to go before we have a calf here. So more waiting. But we had a good time and it was so fun to meet more of my farmgirl sisters.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page