Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  3:47:45 PM  Show Profile
Linda- Congrats! They sound so cute. I would love to see pics!
Well my girls are still holding on to their babies. That is fine for me, I need rest. I have taken my parents to Indy twice in the past two weeks. I am getting really worn out. This last visit was to put in stints in his neck. He did great!

I hope all of you are enjoying the weather. I hope we see lots more of it!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

donnat
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

donna
redmond oregon
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  1:01:31 PM  Show Profile
hi farmgirls, we had a power surge and i burned up my computer cord. waiting for new one. miss you all. happy days SHERRYE
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  2:38:47 PM  Show Profile
I wish I could post pics but my internet is so slow and my camera does high resolution pictures that it makes it nearly impossible.
Angie sorry to hear your father had to have stints but glad the procedure went well. Get your rest while you can cause mine sure has ended the past few days.........lol.

Bean had her babies yesterday morning. She had triplets, 2 does and one buck. They were all pretty big with the smallest being 9 lbs and that was the boy.

The only bummer is that one of the does was born with a parrot mouth( upper jaw is over shot compared to the lower jaw). I had this one time before about 17 years ago and haven't seen it since. The other does here have been bred to this buck except for Bean, this was her first time bred to this buck. All the kids she has had the past 5 kiddings have been perfect. I guess the cross had a double recessive gene.
Many of the goats born this way can't nurse and taking a bottle is equally hard or impossible if they are really bad. This little doe is doing great. She can nurse from her mama if I hold up the teat for her. She is a little pig. I have seen parrot mouth in Nubians before at other farms and they were really bad. This doe I think will be okay and will hopefully make someone a really nice pet or she will just stay here. She is a really pretty color. Its kinda like a frosty, pinky brown. She is beautiful in every way and a really big strapping doe.
I know some people told me to put her down but I couldn't do that.She has a place in this world. She is really a sweetie.
Anyway I will have a break until March 8th and thats when Luna is due. Hopefully we will have and me.

take care
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  2:41:38 PM  Show Profile
Hey sherrye hope you get your new cord soon. I hate power surges, we get them often. We had to put surge protectors on alot of our stuff.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  4:23:53 PM  Show Profile
Linda- I am so glad to hear your little doe is doing good. I wouldn't put her down, unless she was struggling and there was no other way.
I once hand raised a little mini ausie pup. He was born with water on the brain. He had a fontenl [sp], and one eye had ruptureed due to pressure. I raised him, he was doing fine. Then he fell and he died. It was heart breaking for me. But his year with us was rewarding. God truly menat for him to touch our lives.

Sherrye- I am sorry to hear about your cord. I hope a new one arrives soon.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  8:15:27 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I bet the kids are just gorgeous. ANd I have never heard of that before. I'm sure she will be well taken care of there with you. I can hardly wait for kids here. 2 more months at least.

Sherrye, I hope to see you back here soon.

I just found out tinight that the girl I sold Faith and Sadie Mae to sold them. I am so upset. I just want to cry. I told her when she bought them that if anything ever happened and she couldn't keep them anymore that I would take them back. Now they're gone. I am going to call her and see if there's any way I could get them back. It just makes me sick. And I was just going to tell her that they both have trouble kidding. I always had to be with both of them while they were in labor.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  04:58:29 AM  Show Profile
Angie he sounds like he was a real sweetie.Sorry he had to leave you so soon, its so hard to let them go.Been down that road a few times myself. I should say to many to count.
The little doe is not struggling at all she is thriving. She eats like a little pig as long as I hold the teat for her so she can latch on. Sometimes their little jaw on the bottom will start to grow and match up to the top and they grow out of it. I don't know if she will but am hoping for the best. But if she can nurse with help she will be fine for sure. I have faith.

Kristin sorry about the does. I have had the same thing happen to me several times. I sold the does and told the people the same.
This just happened to me this past year. I sold this young lady 2 really super nice does. I really hated to part with them but thought she would really give them a good home by the way she talked. I dropped the price for her since she bought 2 and said she was a little tight on money. She told me she would sell them back to me if anything changed and not to worry. I went on her website and she was selling them for $75 dollars more a piece. I have been so upset and she won't sell them back to me for what I sold them to her for. I found out she likes to buy and resell at a profit. She sure pulled the wool over my eye. I feel so sad for my does and stupid that I didn't see this coming.

I hope you can some how find them and let them know about their kidding.
Did the lady tell you why she sold them and didn't call you first?? Good luck Kristin and let me know what you find out.

take care

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  07:58:45 AM  Show Profile
oh wow, things have been happening while i was gone. congratulations on the baby goats linda.i am thinking your little doe will turn out to be very special. thanks for missing me girls. kris that is so sad about your goats/ i so hope you find where they are. i am still waiting. in this weather i can wait. snowing AGAIN we received 9 inches of snow in less than 10 hours. whew. power out phone off NO INTERNET no water then the big surge and computer cord died. i am so grateful its not here all winter. my heart goes out to those like grace who handle it all season. all our time outside is spent overcoming new challenges. i will catch up on all the posts later. wanted to pop in and say a howdy and boy did i miss you all. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  06:09:14 AM  Show Profile
Well, I got her loaded and she's ready for her last ride to town. Well, her only ride to town. We had all kinds of help here yesterday and we could have gotten her loaded then but I didn;t want her in the trailor all day and night. So I went out this morning and gotter done. Apples are great. It's a good thing my girls like them. They have helped me get cows in plenty of times. So hubby will take her this morning on his way to work and I will go tell her goodbye later today. And I want to get everything back.

Has anyone ever used the stomach for rennet to make cheese? Or is it just calves that they use that for? I had thought about getting a little just to try it. And I get the bones to make broth. And all the scraps for the dogs. The organs too. With cowboy I got them to cut up the tail. That was good.

Anyway, poor Mazie will be by herself now for a few weeks til she has her calf. I might have to put the goats out there with her for awhile. She is getting huge. I am so excited to finally have a little calf around again. And to get some of that good milk.

When I was out feeding the masses, Sandy the goat was by herself at the gate. I called for Abby but didn't see her. She is always the first one there. The greedy pig goat. SO I let Sandy in to eat and went to look for ABby. SHe was in the barn laying down. Didn't even get up. Then when she did she only came a few feet out of the barn. She never came to eat. That is a sure sign she's not feeling good. She even pooped laying down. It wans't running, just normal poop. She doesn't feel hot. So I will keep an eye on her. MAybe give her some yogurt. I am going to town so if anyone has any ideas as to what to give her, please let me know and I will pick it up.

I hope y'all have a great week. Looks like snow in NY. It's been warm and dry here. I just have a feeling this ain't the end and we will get slammed with some more snow soon. I am so wanting to till the garden and get that going soon. We are going to get a little rain which we do need though.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  06:50:09 AM  Show Profile
oh kris, what a good hob loading. those cows love their treats. its always hard for me to say goodbye to one of our animals. i do love the steaks though. excited to hear how heavy it is. i so hope your goat is ok. is she due maybe she is just feeling fat and preggo. hope you have wood in for a cold day or two. we were sure hit hard here a few days back. so excited about all these calves being born on mjf. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  3:44:50 PM  Show Profile
Abby is still not eating. I have talked to a few people and they all mentioned ketosis. I have looked up several places about this and most talk about does that are undernourished or too fat and real close to kidding. Abby has 2 months to go. And she gets a quart of 16% all-grain and free choice hay every day. Plus whatever they can find to browse.

So I gave her some plain yogurt and molasses water when I got home. She was still in the same spot in the barn. She wouldn't drink the water. Then I brought her into the milk room up on the stand so I could check her out. She looks extremely bigger today than yesterday. So maybe bloat? I forced some baking soda in her mouth. Then I just gave her a 2ml shot of B-complex and force fed her some of the molasses water.

What I did read was several of the goats that had ketosis had swollen ankles and walked like on eggshells. She doesn't.

And also while she was on the stand I noticed she had a little white discharge from her vulva.

I am so worried. I have no idea what this could be. But a friend had pigs in the same area as her goats and she lost alot of goats. And she said it was awful. My pigs are in the next stall where the goats are.

So if anyone has any ideas please help. I may just take her to the vets in the morning. I really don't want to lose her. She just turned 9 Feb. 9th. And I had said this will be her last pregnancy but not like this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  5:21:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!
I'm trying to get caught up with all the going-ons around here,Kris,I'm sorry to hear about your goats being sold on down the road,that's upsetting,I've sold goats and horses and have made people sign forms stating that I have the first right of refusal if they should decide to sell the animals and so far all of them have stuck in thier home (I don't know about those I sold years and years ago though) but I heard it's really hard to enforce those conditions,even with signed papers,I hope you manage to find your goats and recoup them,I don't know why people can't just be honest!
I hope your other goat is alright,I would give her milk of magnesia,about 2 ounces at a time,usually a dose or two will help resolve indigestion (colic) or constipation and then I would follow up with either some Probios or yogurt.
Rennet is made from the stomach of a milk fed calf,I understand it that if the calf has had any hay or grain it's potential for rennet is ruined so I think it's just the stomach of very young calves only that rennet can be made from.
Well,I hope all comes out alright for everyone,I hope the milk of magnesia helps you,I have one goat who gets a chronic sour stomach and that usually helps,if she had any possibility of overdosing on grain then I would instead use baking soda and water as a drench.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  7:14:35 PM  Show Profile
Katheryn, she's not overdosing on feed apparently. I just got off the phone with the lady I got Abby from years ago. She is a vet. She said it sounds like Abby maybe has triplets or quads and has not been getting enough food and will probably need to be induced before she dies from this. So I am just going to take her to the vet here in the morning and see what they say. I am so upset. I had no idea that this could happen. I didn't know that goats with multiple kids needed extra feedings. I sure don't need to have animals not knowing anything about them and what could go wrong. I wish I had known. Now I will probably lose her and the kids.

So I just went out to check on Abby. She got up and drank all the gallon of molasses water! So I went and got a pan of grain hoping maybe she'd eat it but she didn't. Sandy did though and Abby didn;t like that. That's her usual mean self. Trying to get Sandy away from the feed. But she didn't eat any. I had a little hope for a minute. At least she drank the water. I put more fresh next to her. This is so sad.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  8:23:32 PM  Show Profile
oh kris, i just saw this. i am so sad for you both. give her all the molasses water she will drink. the vit. b will help with strength and appetite. can you hear her ruman gurgling. are her ears cold or hot? have you checked her temp? she could be in pre labor. watch when she is resting on the ground if her belly tightens. does the inside of her mouth look pink or white-ish? maybe braxton hicks sp.? contractions are hurting her? i am so glad she goes to vet tomorrow. please let us know how she is. will send a hug love and a prayer your way. kris, you taught me that they love bread. have you tried some bread or foods she loves just to help her get by till morning. i am so very deeply sorry you are having to endure this. love ya sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  04:50:56 AM  Show Profile
Kris sorry I haven't been on the computer for days due to problems at the barn.

Sounds like Keto to me. I usually increase the feed slowly over their pregnancy and more if they look like they are going to have trips. She is also an older doe and that increases the probability for more trouble. I would go buy some keto gel and would also give her calcium/niacin supplement they give cows for milk fever. They seem to need all these ingredients when this happens. Also keep up the yogart with some honey or brown sugar in it. If she will eat apples, cookies, anything you can get her to eat. Make sure to give her probios if she is not ruminating. If you want me to call you and talk more send me your phone number. We can cover more ground.

Goodluck and hope she responds

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  07:11:49 AM  Show Profile
waiting to hear from you kris/???sending hugs sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  07:26:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kris!
I guess I missed the previous post before I posted the last time,I sure hope that all turns out well!
I thought from one of your previous posts it sounded like she had some indigestion,I have one goat who gets this often for some reason I have yet to discern,it could very well be ketosis,does she have acetone smelling breath?
I start feeding blackstrap molasses in the last couple months of pregnancy and I keep propylene glycol on hand in the case that I see any symptoms.
Please don't feel bad at all or think you shouldn't have your animals,these things happen to anyone who raises animals,you don't have to keep a caprine medical encyclopedia in your head at all times,we all just do the best we can and we learn the more we experience these things.
I once lost a goat to milk fever before I even knew something like that could happen,sometimes these things just get the drop on us,don't feel like you have no business keeping these animals especially since the symptoms of one thing can be exactly like another,even with alot of experience sometimes you're still left guessing as to what mysterious affliction your animal might have developed right on the spur of the moment!
I sure hope the vet can help your goat,please keeep us updated,our thoughts are with you.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  11:54:32 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I am thinking of you and Abby. I hope all works out! Let us know!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  12:05:58 PM  Show Profile
I have talked to Linda twice today. I went to the co-op and got the things she said I'd need. Abby was out several times today. Had eaten bits of graham crackers, coffee cake, some corn and grain, just a little. I gave her the Nutra drench, calcium, probios, Keto gel. She's pooping like crazy and it's normal. She will get up and move when I make her. She tries to be her mean piggy bossy self with Sandy but it's just a weak attempt and Sandy knows it. So I am going to keep trying to get her to eat lots of cookies and anything else I can think of. I just don't understand how she just looks like she could explode any minute now. She's never been this big before. She's only had twins and singles since I have had her. I so hope she gets over this.

And I still do not understand this ketosis thing. Is she going to get better? Is she going to lose the kids? Should I go ahead and have her induced to save her? I still have so many questions. I did not take her to the vet this morning. I do think I will take her to the lady I got her from. She's about an hour from here. I can take her to her house. Just to see what she thinks would be best for Abby right now. I mean, she's got 2 more months to carry these little monsters. I cannot see that happening as big as she is right now. And I had no idea all this could happen. But as Sherrye always says, we learn as we go. I just don't want to lose as I go.

Thanks so much for all the advice and help and prayers. She will need it if she's going to pull through this. I am going out to check on her then I have to go walk. Then we will go see the vet.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  12:33:58 PM  Show Profile
i am so glad to hear from you kris. if i understand ketosis right it is when they are burning protein for energy not carbs. thats why you give glucose and molasses. normally bodies turn our carbs into our power. when their are not enough carbs the body starts using protein. when i am sick with my porphyria i get ketotic. when they give me the glucose i am better. so its wonderful she will eat the cookies. i so hope you find out what is wrong. it is wonderful linda was able to help you. keep up the good work kris. please let us know how its going. i am checking on and off all day. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

SweetTsEarthlyDelights
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Tina
Old Town Florida
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  2:20:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls, I have been wanting to get some goats, But I want them for mostly dairy. Im not sure I am ready to start killing them for meat. There is so much I need to know. What are the best goats for milking, cheese, and soaps? Also any ideas on pricing? I live in Old Town florida and I want to get the best kind for my area. As you know summers can be brutal in Florida. Any websites you can turn me on to? Or better yet any of you girls sell them?
Thanks
Tina
Farmgirl #2649

www.FineArtByT.com
http://tinasartisticramblings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  2:30:49 PM  Show Profile
Tina
I have Nubians, & I adore them. They are an African breed and do well in the summer.
Linda (woolispinner) breeds Nubians & sells them, but I think OH may be a bit far. Unless you are up for a farmgirl road trip!
Kris
Good to see you talked to Linda. That girl KNOWS her goats.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  3:27:48 PM  Show Profile
Kristin how is she doing tonight? I will call you tomorrow after you go and see the vet. Hoping and praying she starts improving overnight.

She can get over keto if her body responds. This is a metobolic condition when they are pregnant and shortly after they have babies. I have had a few have this and pulled them through but takes time. So far have not lost one to this but thought I was going to.I just about worried myself sick. Hopefully your vet can look at her and be able to tell if you can ride her through this with treatment without inducing. Praying and hoping for you both.

take care
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Feb 23 2011 04:38:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  3:40:30 PM  Show Profile
I got her to eat 4 slices of wheat bread and she's eating some hay. I had to force some water in her. And gave her more probios. Man, I don't know about y'all, but this is work! And really I have hardly done much. SOme of you are dosing and checking every few hours. I have been checking on her all day off and on. Making her get up and out of the barn so she's moving around. I still don't know what to do about the kids. I don't want her to suffer for 2 more months if she is.

Sherrye, you have been a great help. Thanks for 'splainin' all that. I just need to know what's going on and that helped. Linda said she needs whole kernal corn too. It has the middle in it that she needs. Cracked corn does not.

Tina, I have had lots of lamanchas. They are so sweet and quiet. I just have Abby now. And I have only had 1 Nubian, Sandy. And will always have her. She's my baby. I have had her since she was just a few days old. She's almost 4 now. I love her but she is crazy. Hates to be alone. If anything happens and I lose Abby I will have to get another goat that same day. Or Sandy would have to move into the house with me. She does not like to be alone. Now Abby would love to be an only goat. That's how opposite those two are. But I love them both. And Lamancha are "American made". These 2 breeds give the most milk and the most butterfat. Great milkers.

Hi Lisa. I have missed you here. Yes, Linda is great. I was just typing this morning and she called! I was so glad to hear from her. I am just so confused about all this. So she was a great help to me.

And so far Mazie, the big red cow, is doing good. She hasn't been bellowing. So I hope she'll be ok a few more weeks by herself til she has this calf. I was able to go in and actually pet her and rub her tummy "in person" and not over the fence. With Roxie around I was always too nervous to go in with them. Now I can. SO I hope to be able to milk her now.

I hope y'all are having some of this wonderful weather where you are. It's been great here the past few weeks. I have not had any heat on. I love this. I am trying to find someone to come til my gardens.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  7:54:18 PM  Show Profile
well i am so glad to hear she is better. you can buy ketone test strips at the people pharmacy. they work like ph. test papers. you tickle the vulva and usually they will pee. you get urine on the paper. there is a chart to see if there are ketones in her urine. this time of year there are a lot of cows having this. cold weather and not enough carbs to keep the motor running. when they burn ketones -protein- not carbs the rumen stops working. thats why molasses is so good. i think it needs to be people grade not animal to get enough sugar out of it.i learned on kfc that the dry molasses is corn with the molasses BY PRODUCT sprayed on. i tasted it it is bitter. belle hates it. so i tried animal grade liquid.-yuck- so we use people. you can use corn syrup in a pinch. i sure know how attached we can get to these girls. goodness i love them all. happy to hear mazie is doing good alone. i find they bond to me better when i isolate them from the herd. then i can work with them easier too. sending you hugs and love. sleep well sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page