Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

Bambitski
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Bambi
Ashley IL
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  6:37:58 PM  Show Profile
The does seem to be acting like it is just another day. They are eating fine, drinking fine, fussing with each other as usual. The only thing that I noticed with the three of them was that they really didnt seem to care about the babies. They were more interested in the food when I got out there. I really didn't think that it was time yet for them to deliver. But you can never really tell exactly when it is time, for when they were bred, I still had the buck with them. he is now in a different pen that we built for him, he kept getting through the girls fencing so we put him into a stronget pen. I will see if I can get ahold of one of the farm vets around here. I don't really know if there are any who deal with goats. But I will look into it.
Thank you so much ladies. I hope that I can find out some news on this situation. I really hated that I lost so many in such a short time. Hopefully this will all go in a better direction in the future.
Thank you again,
Bambi

Trying to live the country dream.....
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  8:07:00 PM  Show Profile
Bambi, was the buck in there with the does at the time they had the kids?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bambitski
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Bambi
Ashley IL
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  03:54:30 AM  Show Profile
No I had moved him out about 3 months ago.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  06:02:16 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I thought you said he was in with them when they were kidding. That could have had alot to do with the does not cleaning the kids. Bucks are relentless if they are in there with a doe when this is happening. I learned that the hard way once. Only once. That buck was trying to mate the doe as soon as she had given birth. It was horrible. I had no idea that would happen. SO I don't even keep a buck at all now for very long.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  10:47:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi Bambi,I'm glad your does seem fine and that you haven't had any other complications,it sure can be hard to find a vet that deals with goats,I've had that problem too,I've had to learn how to do alot of my own vetting for that reason but I've had to resort to vets for mystery ailments or emergencies that I just didn't have the know-how or equipment to deal with,right now I have a vet who's mildly interested in goats and I have my fingers crossed that he'll be able to help me when it really counts!
I was reading up on spontaneous abortions in goats,from what I understand they usually occur late in pregnancy,the kids may be born alive (and die shortly after) or dead and it can be caused by liver flukes or Bang's disease but the Bangs really isn't that common.
Having a vet do a blood test would be good and I would ask him/her about the liver flukes and whether that might be the case.
Usually when a kidding goes bad and a kid is born dead the doe is very concerned and tries to tend to it as though it were alive but in the case of a miscarriage (which can seem like a kidding when it's full term) a doe will just kind of go on with her life if there are no complications that compromise her health so that's not unusual and I wouldn't really expect them to behave that way next kidding season if they give birth to healthy babies.
I'm not an expert but I've raised alot of goats and have seen some unusual things and goats with varying personalities but for the most part they've always been fairly consistent,to have all three of your does reject thier kids in such a short space of time is unusual,I would suspect something is amiss that caused those kids to abort.
Kristin,I had the same thing happen once with a buck getting to a freshly kidded doe,it was terrible and luckily my doe or kids weren't injured but it was one of those unsavory buck keeping experiences for sure!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  4:39:07 PM  Show Profile
Sorry for you loss Bambi.
That is really strange they were all in their sacks dead. I wonder if they were born dead or did they die after they were born. I would for sure talk to a vet and see what he or she thinks. I know some vets can do a test to see if they Brucolosis, Chlamidia or Lepto which can cause abortions and still borns. Glad the does are okay. Did you say one was alive and is it still alive?

I have a doe named Dottie that is 10 months old and she stopped eating 2 days ago. She has no fever, her eye color is good. No lung congestion or runny nose looks good in every other way but she just stopped eating totally. I wormed her anyway just in case. Gave her a dose of pepto and probios twice yesterday and today. Today she is still not eating and the temps. here are dropping fast. We have an Artic clipper moving through tonight and the next few days. Not a good time to stop eating. Everyone else is eating like hogs. I drenched her tonight with a high calorie supplement, yogart, milk and sugar combo. I listened to her stomach and there no rumen function. I am completely puzzled what is going on. Anyone with any ideas?

Well off to the barn to check on her again.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Bambitski
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Bambi
Ashley IL
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  6:45:53 PM  Show Profile
The one kid that was alive, was freezing. I brought it in and tried to warm him with heating pads, heavy blankets, and lots of rubbing. I tried to get him to move his legs around some. I got him to take some of the colostrum that I had, and he was faintly bahhing. he just gave up and died on me about an hour after I brought him in. Needless to say, my 4 year old cried for quite a while over it. He loves the goats and gets attached to the babies quickly.
I figured when I find a vet, I will need to get them checked out and blood work done. It is possible that there is something going on with all three of them, and I have no idea what it could be. I wont breed them though until I know what is going on. And I had planned on buying a couple of more does this spring, but first I want to build a new area for them away from these does.

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  03:20:54 AM  Show Profile
Bambi- I think you are making the right decissions. There could be something going on, it could have been food related. It could have been stress, maybe from weather issues or a wild animal. I hope you get your answers. I hate it when we lose any of our babies. Even chick!

We are really cold in Indiana today, I am in in Indy with my parents for a VA hospital visit. My hubby called me at three am and said my does are still prego and doing good. I am praying all of them stay prego till the first week of march. That is the approximate due date.

PLEASE EVERYONE STAY WARM AND DRY!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Bambitski
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Bambi
Ashley IL
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  04:19:26 AM  Show Profile
yeah, it is really cold this morning here too in Southern IL. I pray for the best with your goat babies. No one really needs any botrn with this cold front coming in right now.
Bambi

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  05:37:25 AM  Show Profile
We got about an inch of snow yesterday. And schools were closed. It's very cold out there this morning but the sky is so blue and the sun is shining! Beautiful day. But everything's frozen solid. I hope it warms up so I can use the water hose later. I sure do not carrying water buckets all over. I hope everyone else is having such a pretty day so far.

First thing this morning I look out the front window and there is Mazie and Roxie in the garden. The guy that brings the round hay bales put it too close to the fence that connects the garden to their pasture. And I had a feeling it was too close. SO they had hay everywhere and they had it pushed up under the flimsy field fence and undid it enought to get out into the garden. Which there is nothing out there right now. But I do have grape vines, blueberry bushes, apple and pear trees. They would have them eaten to the ground in 2 minutes. I don't think they were in there very long but Mazie was already at the gate that goes out to the driveway and down the road. ANd she looked like she was going to push it open. I got them back in their pasture and I hope they will stay. I really need a gate right there. Or a cattle panel would do the job also. Now I am afraid to go anywhere and I need chicken feed. Always something going on. If it's not the cows then it's the goats or the pigs.

How are all the new kids on the block? I hope they are all nice and warm.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  05:39:42 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I forgot to ask how Dottie is. I just saw that. Have you tried Kaopectate? That works wonders for me. Or yogurt. Sounds like she might need soem good bacteria in her gut. But you said you don't hear anything? I hope she's ok today and you have it figured out. You just never know what they could be getting in to that could mess them up really fast like that. Please let us know how she is.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  2:58:03 PM  Show Profile
Well, I think my goats are having quads. They are getting huge. It seems like every day they get bigger. Sandy for sure ihas got to be having triplets at least. I can hardly wait to find out what they are. I know they will all be so cute.

So where is everybody? I miss you all. We got to take a walk out back this morning with the goats and Bubba. That was fun. Then I let the goats stay out back in the brush. They loved that. I think I'll let them out there a little every day.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  6:44:10 PM  Show Profile
hi there kris, its been crazy busy here. we moved all my cows to here. had the one calf born. hauling hay and trying to get the cows used to me in the field. so i have been sitting on a rock in pasture with the calves. i know for sure bettys preg.lol lisa thinks so too. so we shall see. are the goats due before maizie. did your goats have quads and triplets last time? i would be happy with one dad burn baby at this point. did you get my email? the gal could not log on so could not ask about the wheat. hope its ok. it is so windy here i am a little worried. have a fine eve. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2011 :  2:39:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kristin,

Sounds like your cows like to take a walk about.Thank goodness you caught them before they walked to far away. When are your does due to kid?

On Dottie the doe kid I did the yogart, pepto, electrolytes, Banamine for over 4 days. She finally started to eat Friday morning and is now acting fine. I wormed her but I don't think she really needed it. Her eye color was super duper pink and hardly any eggs in her manure culture. So I have no idea what happened. She gets the same food and hay as everyone else. I was really getting worried she would not pull out of it. I just wish I new what made her stop eating like that.

My doe Molly was due today but no signs of labor yet. She is a first timer so sometimes they go over. Her little udder has started filling out more today. So I am keeping the monitor turned up and checking her often. I guess she will go when she is ready.

I am thankful that the tempatures are not fridged anymore. We have been slowly getting warmer the past 2 days. Today we made it to 50's. It feels like spring outside. I spent sometime cleaning out my little feed barn and raking up the loose hay that falls when I carry it to the barn. Scrubbed all the fiberglass feed pans out and let them dry in the sun. And yes we have had sun for the past few days also. So when Molly does have her baby at least it won't be so cold.

Sherrye we have had the wind today too. Its been sunny and warmer but the wind is terrible. I hope it stops and goes away.

Hope if anyone else is due to have babies they do it while we have a little break.Hope everyone else is getting a break from the weather also. I know its been kinda of a rough winter here. We usually don't have this much snow and ice and frigid temps.

Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  04:08:58 AM  Show Profile
We had crazy wind her lastnight and a this morning. So far my girls are doing good, staying pregnant. I really think it will be closer to March, but we will see, they are getting in milk now. My older doe who was ultrsounded as just one kid, is huge! She has a family history of quads, so maybe the others where just hiding.

I am really busy, with the construction in our basement for my parents' apartment and my Dads medical needs, and the house is a mess, not to mention trying to get more real estate going. I am crazy busy. I pray everyone has good kidding and we continue to get warmer!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  06:10:10 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I called her last night. And I have only ever had one goat have triplets here. Sandy and Abby have both had twins before. Sandy's only had one single the past 4 years. Abby has more singles. She would not go in the milkroom this morning to eat. I hope she's ok. Sounds like you have been getting a workout lately. I need to get hay today if I am going to get any.

Both goats are due the middle of April. So 2 more months. They kind of just dried up on their own this time.

Linda, I am glad Dottie is better. That is so scary when they are sick. You just never know about these goats.

ANgie, how much longer do you have til the basement is ready for your parents? I bet you will be glad when that's all done and they are there.

I have some windows open this morning! It feels like spring outside. I love it! I am so sick of the cold. My turkeys got out yesterday. I went to church last night and when I got home they were all up on a saw horse thing. And I did not feel like carrying 5 huge turkeys back out to their coop. So they stayed out. They are all here this morning. All over the yard. So I guess they will be outside now. I might herd them back in this evening. Just because the silly tom stayed on the ground. Every time I looked out the window to check on them he was on the ground standing up with his head under a wing. Silly bird.

I hope everyone has great weather this week. And happy V day! My hubby is in Iowa right now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  10:02:17 AM  Show Profile
Kristin- crazy turkeys! We are hoping we will have the basement done by March 1st. I really hope, I am so tierd of messes.

Happy Valentines day!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  1:10:53 PM  Show Profile
I just herded the turkeys back into their coop. It's just too much trouble to have them out. The hens were all up front 10 feet from the road. ANd the tom was in the little pasture closer to the house. I don't know why the hens don't want to be with Harper. he's such a handsome bird.

It's the most perfect day here. I am loving this. I am going to go up the road to walk with some friends in a few minutes.

March is in just a few weeks now. I bet you are tired, Angie. Thank goodness the goats are waiting a little longer.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  8:45:36 PM  Show Profile
The past 2 days here have been warmer but the winds have been crazy. It was gusting so hard today it made it hard to be outside.

My doe Molly the first freshner went into labor early this morning. Around 1:20 today I helped her deliver twins. The first one was a big buck and it took awhile to ease him out. The little girl came rifling out 15 minutes later in a huge mess of goo. Thank goodness I was there or she would have probably drowned. I liked to never got the goop off of her. She is quite small and looks like a little half pint. They are both healthy and Molly is doing good so far. She drank her warm brown sugar water, cookies, and her grain. She is still out their talking to her babies. I just came in from plugging them on their mama and making sure they are all okay.

So I am off to bed for a few hours and will check on them in about 4 hours. The temps. here are going down to around 20 degrees. I was hoping it would stay a little warmer than that. But its suppose to be back up in the 40's tomorrow. My next doe Bean The Wean is due next. I know its a funny name but there's a story behind that. Will tell it later.

Nite all
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  07:36:55 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I am so happy to see you have some goat babies! How fun. And it was good you were there for them. I bet that buck is big. I hope you got some good rest last might. Looks like it's just beginning for you. Have fun!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  10:55:15 AM  Show Profile
Kristin,

rest was not in the cards last night. Molly kept wanting to lay close to them and would smash them between the wall and her. I ran out to the barn about 10 times last night. I would hear them scream and then she would scream because she didn't understand what was going on. The one time she had layed up against the little buck to where his lungs couldn't expand I about had a heart attack before I got to the barn. He's okay cause I got there in time. She's a pretty good mom she just doesn't understand about not laying so close as to mash them against the wall she is just trying to keep them warm and fuss over them. I ended up putting a bail of straw half way down the back wall so she would not have room to fully lay against them. They ended up laying in the space between the wall and the straw and she was able to lay with her head over them. So after that I managed about 3 hours of broken sleep.
The buck( 9 1/2 lbs.) is a chocolate color with silver/brown ears with some white on the top of his head and side. The little doe( 5 1/2 lbs.)is black with silver ears and a white topknot. She is such a little cutie. The buck is really striking. I think I will leave him a buck.

I hope they let me sleep tonight because Bean is due Friday or even a little before. She is really big and walking on the slow side. She looks like she may have trips.

Anyway glad for another sunny day but the wind has picked up again but not nearly like yesterday. Its around 42 degrees so not to bad for the little ones.I think I am going to go across the river and get goat and chicken feed before the next one delivers. I am getting low and don't want to be short. I go to Mayslick Ky, and its about a 40 minute drive but they do a great job mixing my feed.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Feb 19 2011 05:02:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  09:51:58 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations on your new babies Linda,they sound wonderful,I hope the mum has got it sorted out now and that you've been able to get some rest.
I am just getting caught up on all the posts here,I've been really busy here,I took on a new colt to start under saddle and I'm still healing a fractured hip so all I'm able to do is groundwork with him and then I've been trying to catch up on neglected chores that I've let slide during my down time.
We just disbudded my little Nigerian Dwarf kid yesterday,it was terrible,I really hate that part and used to leave all my goats with horns but these little Nigerians have horns that stick straight up and I've been shanked a couple times by my horned Nigerian doe so I am now disbudding all my babies,I just hate the process,castrating doesn't bother me near as much as dusbudding!
Anyways,I hope that all is going well with everyone's farm and animals,I love hearing about all the new babies!

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  10:07:25 AM  Show Profile
I did get some sleep last night. The straw bale helped and she is really turning out to be a super mom. My other doe Bean has really bagged since last night. She is due Friday.

Kathryn I hope you make a full recovery with your hip and be careful. I hate disbudding too. I know in 2 weeks thats what I will be doing. The little buck that was born 2 days ago had little horn buds when he was born.

Our weather here today is just like spring. I took the mother out with her kids while I was able to watch them so they could be in the sun. Its 60 degrees here.....its absolutely amazing outside.

Well I'm going to go back outside. Its to nice to stay inside.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  10:23:05 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad your doe has got it sorted out,I had one Nubian doe who was so bewildered after giving birth,she didn't do anything dangerous to her kids but she just looked totally horrified and mystified that she had actually popped out a couple kids and every sound they made she propped up like "OMG,what do they want from me?" she got it figured out though and was real good with him.
Our weather is beautiful today too,I've been out working in it but am taking a break,I can get around for short bouts and then my hip starts to hurt,I come in,take some skullcap tincture and then go back out,like you said,it's just too nice to stay inside,I can't waste daylight on a day like this!
I'm glad you had nice weather for your doe to kid and I hope it stays that way for the next one,my doe gave birth the week before when we had all the snow and below zero nights,it was worrisome.
Well,enjoy your day and your new babies!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  3:51:20 PM  Show Profile
It is like Spring here! In the 60's during the day and only 40's and 50's at night! This is great. But people are outside now doing yard work and there is smoke everywhere. Very hazy. It's supposed to be like this til next week. Yay!

Katheryn, I hope you are taking it easy with that hip. I bet that hurts. Disbudding is my very least favorite thing about having goats.But I hate horns more. So it has to be done. And they really do forget about it really fast and love us real soon.

Linda, I am so glad you're having this wonderful weather up there too. I hope you doe will kid while it's nice. Can't wait to hear about some new kids.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page