Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  06:30:10 AM  Show Profile
goodmorning angie, i am like you i want to be ready. it was great learning on the baby goat thread about iodine for their feet. i have no suggestions except we give bo-se shot when they are born. the extra for baby gives them a boost. they seem to thrive better with it. i am thinking you know more than me. i am learning everyday on this site. LORI i am wondering how your calves are doing. are you haltering them? it would be fun to have 2 at once. KRIS hows maizie doing? are you still getting some milk from your girls? i thought i would be swimming in milk now. but since the billy was shooting blanks no babies for me.now with my buck they are bred now. I HOPE LOL happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  07:05:09 AM  Show Profile
Today the sun finally showed itself through the clouds.I am so excited to see the sun. Am so tired of the grey skies and rain and snow. We had tons of rain just the other day and now its cold and snowing and the sun is peaking out at the same time. How weird is that. Oh well hope the sun does more than just peak out. My greenhouse heater has been running like crazy this winter because of the cold and clouds.Its a small one 7 by 9.9 but its still not cheap to heat. With the sun peaking in and out it will heat up fast in there and the heater will shut off automatically.

Countdown for my first doe to kid is Feb. 12th. I am getting nervous because she is a first timer. They always make me so nervous. Last year was so rough with Snackcake and almost losing her to monster triplets. I hope she only has 2 and they are small and not over 11 lbs a piece like Snackcakes were.
The doe that is due to kid soon is Named Molly she looks like a double stuffed oreo !! She's black with a white belly band.She is such a sweet doe. I have everything ready just waiting for that date to come.

Well I am off to make bread because I am completely out. At least I don't have to grind the wheat this time because I ground up 15 lbs last time and put it in the freezer.

Have a great day.
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  2:25:22 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, Mazie is doing good so far. I did notice a slight udder this morning. So she is getting closer. And both does are out of the milk business right now. Both are due in 2 1/2 months. Sandy is really noticeable but not so much Abby. So maybe Sandy will have twin girls and Abby only a single girl. Here's hoping anyway. Too bad none of your does had any yet.

Linda, is Snackcake pregnant this year or is she one that's getting the break? And this is Molly's first time? My friend up the road bred his doe and this will be her first time. She is not even showing yet. She had 2 1/2 months to go too, if she is pregnant. But with the first one she may not show til closer. I am glad you saw a little sun today. Better than none at all.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  3:37:02 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kris,

the sun ended up staying out most of the day. It ended up being a cold beautiful day! I made 4 loaves of wheat bread and getting ready to have that with our tomato/veggie/beef soup. I actually got more done today I think because the sun stayed out. Even planted some lettuce,basil, swiss chard,and Choi Joy in little pots in the greenhouse. I have spring fever in Febuary !!!

Snackcake was one of the ones who is getting the break for sure. Molly the first timer thats due in 8 days in definately showing. Her udder is already forming (it a cute little barbie udder) and she has dropped. I am nervous but also getting excited. I know she has at least twins and hopefully no more.

have a nice evening
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  06:04:56 AM  Show Profile
Well, we got a little more snow last night. I went to put the dogs up after dark and the whole yard was covered and it was still coming down. It was so pretty and quiet. There was still a little on the ground this morning. But now it's raining. So it will be gone soon. It really was pretty though.

Linda, a group of my friends all make bread with the whole wheat berries. We just ordered enough wheat to last several years. It will be here in March. I ordered about 450 pounds of soft white, hard white, hard red, kamut, oats and pinto beans and brown rice. So I should be set for years. The wheat is actually the same price now as when we started this about 12 years ago. But a few years ago, the last time I ordered, it was about $35. for 50 pounds. Big increase. But now back down so we ordered lots. How do you get yours? ANd what kind of grinder do you use? I have a Whisper Mill grinder and a Jozurushi bread maker and a DLX mixer that came with a flaker to make oatmeal, which I LOVE.

I am glad Snakcake is getting a break. She sure had a hard time last year. How old is she? And how old is Molly? I know you said she's a first timer. And that she's really big.

I do believe that Abby is pregnant now. She seems to be getting a bit bigger every day. I am so excited about having new kids again. And with only 2 does, this will be strange for me. I hope they go close together to get it over with. Both of these 2 does have always kidded by theirselves with no help from me. And always at night or early morning. I go in to feed and there are some kids, all dried off and nursing already. Just the way it should be, right? I hope Mazie's that way.

Y'all have a great day. I hope it's not bad weather where y'all are.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  09:49:00 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kristin,
the wheat I buy is Montana wheat and its the hard white wheat thats my favorite to use. Usually the Amish thats about 40 minutes from me orders it in 50 lb. bags for me. The last time I purchased it is was $38 dollars. Believe it or not Walmart got some in 25 lb bags for $12.85 so I bought 4 of them just the past few months.If Walmart does what it usually does they will sell what they have and never order it again. They do that all the time.

I have 3 grain mills. One attaches to my old kitchen aid but doesn't grind as fine as I like but is great for cornmeal. Then when Y2K was looming I traded a Ktec electric grainmill for a pasturizer and I also ordered a big handgrinder in case the power went out. We didn't even have a glitch in the power. I was ready for a big shutdown and nothing happened which I guess was good. But I sure worked my bum off preparing. I use my kitcheaid to help with mixing the dough.

Snackcake is going to be 4 yrs old this March and Molly the first timer will be 2 years old in March also. I know Snakecake isn't that old but she really needed the break she still walks a little funny.Other people don't really notice it but I do.

Where are you getting all your wonderful grain from? It sounds like your getting alot of wonderful stuff.If its not local and its a internet company that ships I would sure be interested. What is it costing for that much stuff if its not to personal?
What is Kamut and what do you use it in?

Hope your does have girls this year. Hopefully Mazie will do great also.

catch ya later
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  10:52:46 AM  Show Profile
Linda, we get our grain from Montana too. Kamut is a really old grain. It's very expensive. It's $32.50 for just 25 pounds. The The hard and soft white and the red wheat are all just $13.60 per 50 pounds. The oats are $22.50. And I am getting 100 pounds of each kind. But just 25 pounds of the Kamut. So I think mine is about $350. or so. But that will last a LONG time. I only make bread about once a week. I did find a local family that grows the soft white wheat in Ga. I got a 60 bag for just $30.00 a few months ago. I just wish they could grow the hard red and white too. I also have a hand grinder that the grands love. SO when they are here I let them grind up a bunch and put it in the freezer. keeos them busy. Otherwise, I just grind it when I am baking.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  2:06:08 PM  Show Profile
Kris are you having it shipped from the company UPS or some other way and how much are they charging you to ship? I would love to try the kamut. What do you use it in? All that sounds really nice. I would like to try it also.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  2:23:10 PM  Show Profile
We have to get a semi trailor load for them to even deliver it. And it's about $50. for my shipping. It's delivered to Chattanooga and we have to pick it up there. There are alot of people ordering. The kamut is used in bread. It gives it a really nice flavor. We only use about a cup per 3 loaves. It's way too expensive to use too much. It also gives the bread a yellower tinge. It's really good. It comes from the Montana wheat company too. You also might be able to find it at a Whole Foods store if you just want to try some first.

I just went out to feed and I think I almost got frostbite in my fingers. It's freezing out there. And I wasn't outside but maybe 10 minutes. I also got 3 eggs!! In the goat barn. 1 on the floor, 2 under a hay rack. Silly birds. I am so glad to be getting a few every day again. I made a frittata for breakfast this morning. So good to have eggs for breakfast again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  6:03:48 PM  Show Profile
the flour sound yummy kris, where is it coming from? i sure hope you have those fires burning to keep you from getting frost bite. you take good care of yourself. you have had enough owies lately. happy you are finding eggs. happy baking sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  6:29:49 PM  Show Profile
My first kid goat of the year was born this afternoon,it will be my first Nigerian Dwarf.
Usually they don't get the drop on me but I don't know when she was bred as I purchased her from a lady who let the buck run with the does and my doe didn't show any obvious signs of giving birth today and then a little after noon I went out and all my other goats were staring intently into the little woodshed and that's when I heard it.
I expected more than one kid from this doe but after another forty minutes she passed the afterbirth and that was that so I have one very vigorous and healthy black doe kid that is solid black except for a little star of white on her rib cage behind her left foreleg.
Mom and baby are doing well,I'm so glad she didn't do this when it was twenty below!!!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  6:31:22 PM  Show Profile
Oops,I meant to say in my first line that it was my first Nigerian Dwarf KID,I also have Nubians and one other Nigerian Dwarf doe due to give birth any time now!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  04:40:57 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn, I am so happy allwent well for your doe and that you have a healthy happy new doeling. Lucky you! How many more are due now? Do you milk them? I still have a ways to go. I did not want any born when it's so cold. And I couldn't find a buck til the end of November anyway. SO it worked out ok. So congrats on the first kid so far.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  10:05:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kristin!
All went well with the birth,this little kid was one of the most vigorous ones I've seen,she was up and ready to tug on a teat in no time and she's been very active and vigorous since.
I have one other Nigerian Dwarf doe that is due to kid anytime,I'm keeping a close eye on her,she's looking pretty close and I'm hoping she won't be too far behind considering we've got another little cold snap coming up with temps in the single digits coming.
This is my first year with Nigerians,I also have two Nubian does and have kept Alpine goats before,I like the Nubians and Nigerians for the high butterfat content of thier milk.
I practice natural rearing methods so I leave the kid on the Mom for about a week then gradually start seperating them for the night and milking the doe in the mornings before turning the kid back in with her for the day,this gives me enough milk to fool around with making cheeses and yogurt.
You sure did alright by breeding later,my Nubians aren't due to kid until April and I'm glad of it,these little Nigerians came from a gal who let the buck run all the time with the does so I didn't have any real idea of when to expect them to kid,I've just been eyeballing them for signs of it,I knew this one doe was close but didn't see anything that morning to suspect she was going to kid later that day but then she's about four years old and a seasoned pro at kidding.
I think April and May are ideal kidding times,some years ago I had an Alpine doe give birth when it was near twenty below all week,she had a somewhat weak kid,I got it warmed up and then the next night I was out drenching the doe with powdered seaweed and molasses because she had gotten milk fever,that wasn't a good experience at all and I learned then to time the breeding better.
Anyways,you did alright breeding later,I'm sure that all will go well for you and your goats!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  1:30:35 PM  Show Profile
I just noticed you're in Pueblo. I have a neice that lives there. Don't really know exactly where. But my sister lives in Lol. Springs. I just talked to her this morning. She said it's been warm then cold then snowing then raining. Just miserable weather there. We are freezing here. I think we have had way more snow here though than she has there this winter. So I hope it's not too cold when your others kid. My heifer mazie is due around the end of march. I hope it's warmer then. I did breed her so it wouldn't be in the middle of winter. But just watch. We'll have a march blizzard when she has her calf.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  2:47:53 PM  Show Profile
oh kris, maybe you will luck out and have a warm nite. we sure did last night. 42 degrees. so good calving weather. i am going to learn how to post pics. then you can send me an email and i could post the pic. i think goats are the cutest too along with calves and pigs. LOL ah babies are cute. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  3:33:19 PM  Show Profile
It has been miserably cold here,the snow isn't so bad,just the chill factor,we have had some nights down to twenty below and I'm so glad this doe waited until a reasonably warmer day (34 degrees) to have this kid but more snow is due tonight so I made a little jacket for the kid to keep it dry and have rigged up a heat lamp in the shed,I got up several times in the night last night to check and see that she stayed warm enough.
March can be really nice here or we can experience our worst storms in March,it can go either way,turbulent Spring weather but I'm sure all will go well,I think it's just that the weather creates more discomfort and worry for us than our animals!
I'm keeping an eye on the other Nigerian doe,she just might try for it tonight from what I'm seeing,one of my Nubians has been having soem colic problems so I've been mugging her and giving her milk of magnesia and yogurt,it could be a long night!

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  5:35:50 PM  Show Profile
wow kathryn, you are a busy farmgirl for sure. i so hope all goes well. so i am fairly new to goats. i have been so wrong so many times this yr. its not funny. so do the does pins widen and show like cows? betty boop is surely preg. her udder is larger, she looks that way. so now the vulva is swollen. she wants in the stall at night with ginger. it will be a surprise. when the buck broke out and was in with the does i thought she was bred already. so i never wrote it down.learning as i go. so what is mugging? is it like drenching a cow? why does she have colic. i so hope you have a quiet night. i am so excited that we have so many new farmgirls sharing stories. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  04:47:25 AM  Show Profile
I have a question ladies... My one doe was arching her back, kinda like my older one does when you milk her or when she nurses her kids. I wonder if this is something important?

I am noticing more pronunced utters on all of them, and they are really loving my attention and lots of hay.
I am keeping the doe in on cold days and all nights. We are really cold here.
I hope all of you are staying warm and dry!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  05:36:42 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, you can tell if they are close by putting your hand around the tail bone. You should be able to touch your fingers when they are just about ready to kid. And you will see long slimey stringy goo. And they will go in a corner or want to be alone. Some does don't get an udder til the day they kid. Some get them alot sooner. It's just the goat.

Katheryn, any more babies?

Angie, I have no idea why a goat would do that. Maybe she's just stretching? I know my goats just about fold in half when I milk them. I have seen goats turn their heads around and touch their backs. Maybe she's lacking something. I hope someone sees your question that knows.

Don't ya just love kidding time? I am so excited. This is the first time I have only had just 2 goats. I love hearing about all your goats and kids.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bambitski
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Bambi
Ashley IL
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  06:33:06 AM  Show Profile
help....
I have three does. They have all kidded this last week. 8 babies in 5 days. One had 4 (she had two the last time), one had 3 (she had one the last time), and one had 1 (this is her first time). All three left them to die in their sacks, except one was washed from the one who had 4. I got out there too late since I was working all three times when it happened. What could of caused them to all do this? It is not understandable to me. Will they do this the next time around? And it has been around a year since the last time they kidded, so I don't think it was too soon for them to kid again.
Thank you so much,
Bambi

Trying to live the country dream.....
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  06:58:14 AM  Show Profile
Hey ladies - been dealing with weather and kids off from school because of it. Here in Arkansas, we are prepared to deal with much winter weather, so just a little brings everything to a grinding halt! We got 3 inches on Friday, which is quite a lot for us. Now it is all melted and we have an abundance of pure mud.

The new calves are doing wonderful. Daisy, the Jersey, trusts us enough now that we can pet and love all over her. Sylvie still isn't sure. You can sneak a scratch on her nose while she sniffs and "tastes" of you, but unless she is eating, that is it. We moved two older beef calves out of that pasture Saturday, so now they may let us be more familiar since the bigger ones are gone.

We are waiting on a goat to be born, also. Not a dairy goat, she is a Boer cross, but I said almost 3 weeks ago there was no way she could go another day. This is our first year for goats and sheep, but we have raised cattle forever, so we kinda have an idea of what to look for. We have kept her in a birthing pen in the barn for the last couple of days because the goat pasture is a muddy mess, and the weather has been droppinig well below freezing at night, and she is not happy with me right now. I keep telling her the sooner she has that baby, the sooner she can go back out and play.

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  10:01:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!
Sorry I've been slow in catching up,I still haven't got a kid yet from the other Nigerian doe,she's pretty close though I think and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll do that before we get down to the single digits as is forecasted,fresh wet kids in single digits or below freezing can really complicate things.
Angie,I have had does who arched thier backs when being milked,sometimes I think it's apprehension about us handling thier udders and I sometimes wonder if it's kind of like it is with us,when we breastfeed our infants the first few days we feel that tingling letdown response and it also stimulates contractions of the uterus,nature's way of helping it tone back to normal size after birthing,I wonder if goats feel this also.
As far as signs of kidding,I look for the flesh around the pinbones to soften,looking almost as if the doe has lost weight,the does appearance will change,sometimes they can look hugely pregnant and then in the few days before kidding,dramatically change to not look big at all as the kids get into position,like Kristin said,you should be able to pinch around the pinbones and feel almost as though you could touch fingers.
I don't look at the udder too much as a sign of impending delivery,there are some books that say that a doe's udder will "bag up" and be tight and swollen,I have found this usually (in my experience) to not always be the case,some of my high producing Alpines would do this reliably but I found more often than not a doe with just a modestly built-up udder can surprise you with a kid.
To complicate things,some does show very little signs at all aside from a few small changes,my little Nigerian who just gave birth showed no discharge,no bagging up,no real indications that anything was different and an hour later she squirted out a kid and was near cleaned up from the party when I arrived.
I'm sorry to hear about your kid goats Bambi,it's a big letdown to anticipate babies and then lose them,I would suspect that there's something going on with your does that caused them to abort,I don't think it sounds like a kidding mishap so much as spontaneous abortion and that there could be some disease circulating in them,I would consult with your vet before rebreeding.
I would sure get your vet in on this and see if he/she might help you identify some reason,there are a few diseases and toxins that can cause spontaneous abortion and that's a serious loss for all three does to have such a thing happen.
Sorry this is such a long post,I just wanted to address a few things,I wish you all luck with your kidding and calving,try to stay warm!

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  12:51:46 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn- thanks. I was thinking it was something like the tingly feeling. I wonder if she is just practicing for the real thing. Anyway, I am watching and feeling pinbones and see only one showing any change. The other two are still pretty firm.

Bambi- I agree with Kathryn, I think you need to sccop up the kids and caal a vet. There needs to be a reason or this.

I am praying all my girls wait another week or two or even three! Which three weeks from now was my estimated due date for them.
I really want it to be warmer.
I hope you all stay warm and dry!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  1:15:27 PM  Show Profile
Bambi, I am so sorry you lost all those kids. But how are the does right now? Poor things. That's a lot of babies to have lost all in a week. I bet the does are depressed. Have you gotten a vet out to check them? That is strange that they all lost their kids. I guess weather has a lot to do with it. So sorry. Please let us know what you find out.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page