Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  6:29:29 PM  Show Profile
thought i would pop in and say. the girl was with a cyst. so the cyst is a undeveloped fetus. it kills all fertile eggs coming in. so bull bred her last night. so we ran her in the chute today. just like clock work. wow he palpitated her. found the cyst. could tell she had been with the bull. so we gave her the shot to kill the cyst. she has had it for a whole year. i thought she was bred. gads. so now either this will take or we ai next 18 day cycle. the cyst will be gone then. i learn as i go all the time. i agree with artic flower. i love a challenge. happy days to you all. i am tired. will share more later. love all the new farmgirls on the threads. so fun here. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  6:14:37 PM  Show Profile
Well we are suppose to get a big ice storm for the next three days. So I did all my errands I could today and will finish tomorrow. I hope to get all the heat lamps and new straw and hooves done tomorrow befeor the really bad weather.
We loaded a steer from my mom and dads stock of minature cattle and he is being processed right now then it is freezer for him! Yeah! I need more meat in the freezer. I hope all of you ladies enjoy yourselves this week and stay warm!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  6:47:24 PM  Show Profile
hi angie, what kind of miniture cattle do you all have? we have dexters. i butchered a little guy that had hurt his neck. he hung at 350 pounds a few days ago. do you enjoy the cattle moving and such? i sure do. we are moving 2 calves tomorrow. i hope you stay warm and dry through your storm. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  2:13:57 PM  Show Profile
Hey all! Well we've warmed up here in Montana somewhat...still getting the freezing rain etc though! All the animals are doing fine...just not fun when you don't get any eggs! We got my brother-in-law's cow yesterday. She is a Charlois (spelling)? He had named her Frappe because she is so blonde! Frappe is due to calve in April. I am so thankful for getting her because that means we will only have to be one month without milk rather than 2 to 3! This is going to be Frappe's first calf so I'm kinda excited. She is a quiet thing and very skittish. So for the next several months I'm gonna be working with her to try and get her used to being milked....we'll see how it goes. I cannot wait for the summer to come again...our mini farm is growing each year and it just keeps getting better!

Leanne

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  05:43:43 AM  Show Profile
hey there leanne, i was wondering what you will do to start her training? i am going to start training calves in the next few weeks. i need to put a ring up in pasture. i am excited to start.there was a video on kfc for desensitizing a steer using a glove on a stick. thought i would try it.they are dexter first year heifers. two white park dexter and one regular dexter. they eat out of our hand now. frappe sounds very pretty. the chickens stopped laying. their light in the coop went out. we are going to cull out free loaders today. gotta get the light back on. we are going to start with new hens in a month or so. when ever i can get them shipped. i think i will buy 100. so the pork is ready to pick up. had one customer say it was excellent. it was the leanest i have ever grown. yum. hope all the farmgirls are having fine days. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  06:17:26 AM  Show Profile
Aren't Charlais meat cows? They are the white ones, right? My neighbor had one and it was a little crazy. Just wondered how yours is. I have a Red Angus heifer, Mazie, that is due in March. I am planning on milking her also. I have been rubbing her belly and teats whenever I can. She's ok with it so far, I have never had her on a halter or rope at all. And I only grass and hay feed. I am planning on milking her when I feed hay in the morning and keep the calf on her all the time. Just milk when I need it basically since I have the goats. I know meat cows jsut don't give as much milk and cream as a milk cow but it's still good milk. I can hardly wait for her to calve.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  06:58:16 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye- my parents raise Miniature Herefords. I do believe the hanging weight on Charlie was around 700-800lbs. We have not heard from the butcher latley. We lost all our breeeding heifers to a horrible accident 2 years aog. We tried to save them and it was not going to work. I miss them here everyday. I can not believe I am saying this, I love the smell of cows. I lvoe the way they are. I love cows. My parents are still raising theirs. I just wish we had ours. But now I have my dairy goats, and I love them! Plus they fit on our limited land so much better.
All you ladies seem so busy! I hope you all stay warm and dry.
Enjoy!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  07:26:39 AM  Show Profile
hey there farmgirls, hope you are warm and dry. kris are your feet warm? hows mazie doing? she has to be showing big by now. i am so excited for you. do you have your emergency kit ready? rubber gloves towels blanket molasses. i even have cmpk in bottle with iv tubing. my friend lisa said a,,we wont need that. well we did 2 times. i think its helpful to have a high sugar grass hay for calving. when making milk any cow steals from her own body. ketosis and milk fever need to be prepared for. you just can run and get it all. i started my kit about the time frame you are now. you need iodine for calf belly button. if you need ideas as to what is in mine feel free to ask. i would be tying maizies leg while she is in stanchion. just to get her used to it now. she is going to be so busy with figuring this out. if she is used to having her leg tied it would make it easier. isabella is a seasoned milk cow. she kicked and stomped and shifted sideways. mostly because she was so full and sore. she is a sweet cow. they change after calving. i will always work my cows in and out of the milk area and feed them while mimicking milking moves. now this is just this old farmgirls opinion. so take what can help and throw the rest out.

Angie that is a fine hanging weight. mini herefords are so cute. i am looking at a jersey calf for sale here. i am sorry you lost your cow girls. it is so sad when things like that happen on the farm. i do love goats too. i have a few. well gotta feed sophie. snow everywhere. i hear her crying for milk. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  08:00:12 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, in my cow dreams MAzie is going to calf all be herself and the calf will be fine and healthy and she will need no help at all. The calf will jump up and nurse and be wonderful. Mazie will have tons of nice rich milk and all will be well. That's the way I am hoping it will happen anyway. I am not going to worry. She is getting really big. She's going on 6 months now I think. I see her teats now but no udder development yet. When I see her from the front, she's like a truck. She's wide. But that could be from the bog round bale of hay they have out there right now. And they don't go far from it. It probably won't last a week at the rate they are tearing it up. Thay are both fat girls.

Sandy looks lots better. And she's giving so much milk right now. They are nice and warm and dry in their goat barn. I fixed the opening so it's all closed up not. The turkeys are in there too. In a separate stall. It's supposed to rain and sleet later today.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  08:39:03 AM  Show Profile
you know kris, your always saying how busy i am. WELL farmgirl you are as busy for sure. its a busy healthy life. its so great to have friends like we have here to share with.i am worried about the calf on the other post. anyone with ideas. hard when kids are involved too. i am so glad sandy is ok. more milk wow. must be the cold and getting settled. my goats love clear cold days. i gotta run the sophie girl across road. so far the 2 dexter calves ignore her. very sad so far. guess it takes time. happy days sherrye snow white with blue skies and clean air here

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  10:06:43 AM  Show Profile
Hello girls! I love you all so much and feel so blessed to have all of you to talk to and read all about your lives.
We had quite a scare here on Thursday. I had to go to a closing on friday morning three hours away. So I went a day earlier and stayed with relatives in the area. My daughter calls just as I am arriving at my destination. One of my younger does got herself all tangeled in the electric fenc and was not walking.
I was scared to death! My daughter called her work and told them she would be late. I called my vet and he rushed out and checked her over. Well since the fence is off right now, no burns or broken limbs. He didnt even find severe bruising. He did say my girls are a little fat! Well I think it is prganancy not fat, but plan on a vet check in late January to either confirm or deny. So I am so thankful my little girls is all good. She just happens to be one of my favorites, like there is not something I love about each one!
If I am right on who is prego and who isn't, I am looking at at least two does delivering in March, maybe three! Oh how busy I will be!
It is a beautiful sunny day here, a cold 17 degrees with wind chills at 7, but the sun is so bright!
Stay warm and dry!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  2:21:19 PM  Show Profile
watch this... I dare ya!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4_EdJ-XkUA

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  3:34:44 PM  Show Profile
OMG, I just LOVE goats! Taht is so cute. Thanks for sharing that, Karieann. I can't wait for some kids in spring.

Angie, I ams so glad your goat is ok. Thank goodness your electric was off.

Mine are getting fat and sassy. Abby is the meanest goat when I am feeding them treats. She has to get in front of Sandy and she has head butted her in the bekky one too many times. I get so mad at her. Do aany od y'all's goats do that? I know there has to be one that is the head goat, but they are so mean.

It has been a great dry day here. Almost warm. It kinf of doesn't feel like it's almost Christmas at all. But I am fine with that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  4:42:11 PM  Show Profile
My senior doe Tango, is really pushy with my two junior does. She will head butt them so hard the yell out. I get aggrivated with her too, nut she is so sweet to me. She loves kisses! What do you ladies do when your goats are getting heavy, too fat?

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  4:49:30 PM  Show Profile
Kerriann, the farmgirl I bought two of my does sent this video to me, isn't it great!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  5:25:19 PM  Show Profile
I can't help giggling every time I watch it.... boing boing... boing boing... boing

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  6:55:41 PM  Show Profile
i am so glad your goats are ok angie. what a cute video of baby goaties. made papa and i smile and laugh. thanks happy days sherrye oh and we just got 6 inches snow today we have 4 more coming tonight.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  07:00:21 AM  Show Profile
karrieann you are so right. i watch it when i come here and laugh again. it also reminds me all this snow is temporary. so for me day before yesterday was the start of a 2 day struggle. filled with frustrations and joy. i felt like i was getting emotional whiplash. snowing hard with 6 inches out there to walk in. i had forgotten to lock belle in the stanchion. so as i am out feeding the gang alfalfa and she is quietly milking. the machine going whoosh whoosh nice to hear. she decides shes done. out she goes with the can hanging, kicking, irritated, milk going everywhere. GADS LOL well i had to fuss with the pulsater to get it going again yesterday am. so first vapor lock in copper fitting for my suction valve. here comes papa. i have milk every where. belle DOES NOT LIKE HAND MILKING. my hands do not bend that direction. papa was gone when i first encountered my challenge ahead. i started with a cute half gallon bucket to fill. well milk everywhere but the bucket. so i got a 5 gallon water bath pot. i am milking she is dancing sideways. kicking. papa made me a seat with one legs. i strap it on my butt. this way i can move when she kicks. it stays strapped on. oh so funny with this one pole sticking off my butt in back.she did catch my knee once. well with papas help i was able to trouble shoot and fix the pulseater. i did what every farmgirl out there would do. when all else fails BANG it and HIT it. it worked. the pulses were too fast but we were on a roll. so with poop in the milk room yuk and me fighting the milker. the piggies got the warm milk belle got her alfalfa and i came in. poop on a lotta stuff including me. lol so hot bath clean clothes and a fine hubby. well here comes my lisa. what a farmgirl she is. she brings me her only working pulsater. wow. she takes mine to fix. i went last night and milking was like clock work. 18 minutes we are done and in house. rich warm milk. i am so very blessed to have her in my life. so many good fine loving folks in the world. today i drive in the snow a little nervous. papa says go slow ma it will make a small dent is all. lol well i was sideways a few days ago.lisa was sideways yesterday. well talk at you tonight.hope this is not too long. thought youd enjoy a visual of belle running out the barn with the can hanging AGAIN. stay warm dry cozy. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  06:56:57 AM  Show Profile
howdy farmgirls, i must be the chatter box this week. everyone must be busy with the holidays. just thought i would post that isabella was with the white park bull for the last 2 days. i think this combo will make a very cute calf. we think the beefyness of the bull with belles smaller jersey stature will make a fine calf. i am hoping its a girl. if so she would be the last calf for now that i will keep. i am going to train all the calves to load a trailer and other things that help make life easier. i think for the ones i sell it will help me get my asking price. i think betty hurt her leg on the ice. she is such a big boer girl. she has been limping on her back right for about 3 days. i put her up yesterday in a stall area. the walk to the hay manger is long steep and icey. will be going out to check her soon. hoping all is well with you and that you have fine happy days ahead sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  10:32:19 AM  Show Profile
Howdy y'all. I hope everyone had a great Christmas. I had all 3 grands all week. And making all my Christmas gifts too. We had fun. I got it all done Christmas eve night. I am so glad it's all over now for another year. I really had fun but I am TIRED!

My friend's up the road went out of town for a week so they brought their doe here to stay. They had the wether butchered a few days ago and didn't want her to be there alone. SHe's doing great here. I bring her in when I milk Abby and Sandy and put her on the stanchion to eat. I have had to pick her up so far. Hopefully she'll learn to jump up there soon. It's fun to have 3 goats. Abby is being the biggest bully though. SO I have her locked in a seperate stall.

Happy new year!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  6:07:36 PM  Show Profile
so glad to here from you kris. i was missing your posts big time. glad you had so much fun. i knew you were having family stuff. its the time of year for it for sure. so glad your goats are all doing good. isabelle was bred back on the 23 of dec. to a dexter white park. sure hope it takes. hows maizey doing. she must be huge now.lol hope you have a good night happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  8:11:39 PM  Show Profile
Het Sherrye. Mazie is huge. She is due in March. It started snowing Christmas eve here and just stopped awhile ago. We got about 6" here. When I went out to check on all the animals tonight the cowgirls were both across the field in the shed. I'm glad they are smart enough to get under a shelter right now. And I have been trying to keep the goats in the barn but they have other ideas. Silly goats. The chickens stay in when it's so cold. It will take a long time for all this snow to melt. It's supposed to stay cold all week. I am so ready for spring. Do you have snow there yet? And wow, 9 months is a long time to wait for a calf. I know I am anxious to see Mazie's. I sure hope it's a bull calf.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  08:39:30 AM  Show Profile
I got the little buck back last night. I also have my friend's doe still here. They should be back tomorrow and might get another doe from up the road. We'll try to get her bred with this little guy then. He'll be going home Monday. So when I put him in with the does last night he went right after Adabelle. Didn't even look at Sandy. She does look pregnant. Then I let Abby out this morning and they immediately started head butting. Really hard. Now they are best buds. So I think they all must be bred. I'll just put him and Jessie, the new doe, in the backyard til Monday.

So lots going on here. The snow is finally gone!! Now rain is heading our way. It's a nit warmer today. With nights in the higher 30's we should be ok on the freezing water. I sure hope so. I am tired of hauling 5 gallon water buckets all over. I am able to turn on the water faucet outside to fill up the cow girls water trough.

Mazie is getting bigger every day. She eats like a pig. I have another post about feeding pregnant cows. I think she's eating way too much hay. I have bought 2 round bales of hay in the past not quite 3 weeks and they are both gone already. Between 2 heifers, I think that's way too fast. They are both pigs.

I hope all is well with all you goat and cow girls these days. Hannah, have you had kids yet? I know some of yours were pregnant and due in Dec. And how's Betty Boop, Sherrye? Are any of your goats pregnant?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  7:39:10 PM  Show Profile
angie i wanted to get on here and say so glad the doe is ok. wow and wheres leanne these days? probably hauling 5 gallon buckets of water like the rest of us. KRIS enjoy your warm spell. here it comes. we are 2 degrees now. last night 8. very cold. we break the ice 3 times a day on tanks that are out in pasture. i drive my jeep over there and kick it. some we have tank heaters. like for our 3 new pigs. what fun. we let them out to run around today. when they saw the hot wire was off they ran so fast. up and down the lawn. one white hamp slipped on the ice and landed on his butt. they ran lickity split all over the snowy lawn. then back in for my special hot soup and milk served 2 times a day. keeps them warm i think. happy pigs. well betty boop is better. she is definitely prego. she is getting around better. it ended up being her rear hock. i think she twisted it and sprained it. i also trimmed her feet. we are keeping her and ginger in a small loafing shed hut at night. cozy. in case i ever get a baby. i know that marilynn is not bred back. she is a boer nubean cross. she is old. i dont think she can. the boys tried 2 months worth. i think the other 3 are. we also have calves due in march and 2 sows due in march. isabelle was bred 3 days ago. so jersey dexter white park calf in sept. 2011. ida who we gave the shot to, to kill the cyst was in with the bull this end month also. if she does not breed back now we will butcher her. we have tried cyst killer shots a real bull for 2 months then no baby so now she gets one more try. i hope it took this time. she is bossy, noisy, but a registered dexter irish dexter. so hoping for a heifer calf if it takes. well thats my story and i am sticing to it. oh i also brought freckles home. she is a white park 1 yr. old she is being halter trained now. she can be stubborn. she has a quarter of the belted milk cow in her also. may be a good milker if we could get under her. she has no legs and a wide body. but i love her. she is the cutest calf. well i need to learn how to post pics. kris i am glad your boy is home. all the family together. i put our 2 bucks in with all the others. so far so good. i separate at night.what percent protein is your hay? i know those beefers are easy keepers. i wish you could post a pic of maizie. i love seeing pics of others animals. alees horse is so beautifl lets see some more pics here. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  08:03:13 AM  Show Profile
kris, did the buck leave today? mine are in with the does. so far all quiet still. hows cowgirl maizie doing? i wish you and i knew how to post pics. its super cold here. supposed to get better next few days. hauling lots of water to stock tanks with my car. tooo cold for tractor toooo slick for golf cart. so car it is. where there is a will, there is a way. LOL my folks were big on sayings. so kris did you get that snow? i am with you i am ready for spring climate. do you want more strawberry plant? you pay shipping. i am digging early spring. still not done with that bed yet. tons of berries.hope all you farmgirls are warm and doing well happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page