Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  06:28:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Angie,

I don't think you are being unreasonable. Maybe you can find a new home for the horse where she will be ridden and used more. I think horses are generally happier when they have a job to do anyway. Glad your goat is okay!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  3:23:07 PM  Show Profile
I finally got the cute little tiny buck this morning. ANd Sandy is in full on heat too. I don't know if he is going to be tall enough to actually do the deed though. I had to go up the road to get my friend's doe and take her to my other friend's buck. He si the son of my Lamancha doe Abby, so I cannot use him for her. Then I picked up my other friend's buck for my girls. He sure has been trying all day. Abby gave up and has been sitting around watching the show. Sandy's giving him a run for the money. I hope this works because the bucks are sparse this year. I think everyone's put theirs in the freezers.

We will see the end of April. Wish them luck!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  12:30:09 PM  Show Profile
Sherry- We sure got some snow these last two days. Bella and Sass made it through their first snow storm. When I went out to milk last night it was 0 degrees and the cows all were covered in ice on their backs. Its supposed to be freezing for the holidays. I had to save three chickens that couldn't make it back to the coop so they bunkered down underneath the porch poor things! It just might be a true Montana winter this year for us so trying to see how else we can get the barn and coop insulated this winter to keep everyone from freezing. Gosh it was so pretty last night though. The moon was bright and it was finally still outside an owl was hooting. I think that alone makes it worth going out at 1200am to milk when getting home from work because it is so peaceful and the nice thing about milking is that leaning up against my Maizy I can still stay pretty warm...hoping that ya'll are having a great week!

Leanne

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2010 :  07:23:55 AM  Show Profile
leanne more snow coming your way. we are going to be 1 degree tues. night. i guess winter has come to stay. my helpers strung fence yesterday again. almost done. then we need shelters for the cows and calves we are moving. you work that late and go and milk ?WOW farmgirl i am impressed. when you work what do you do? i dont remember. i was able to close the barn up tight last night. good feeling knowing all the critters have hay and warm spots to sleep.still one more fence line to do too. have been so busy the pigs have been enjoying the extra milk. no time for cheese making now. all 4 go to butcher on wed. then we have 6 more to grow. with lisas cow and mine we need the piggies so no milk waste. the 4 are already sold. they should be so good. main diet milk eggs alfalfa. with pig pellet in there for balance.we sold at 2.25 a pound hanging weight. thats the going price here. still have fryers to do and one steer. NO EGGS. we moved the girls to new coop. so no eggs these days darn. down to about 10 a day. will cull them out this yr. also.

So how are all the critters doing out there. are the goats bred back yet kris? mine are doing great. NO babies. go figure. they look like they may have babies in the dead of winter. such is life. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  09:50:35 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Everyone, missed you all alot. How is everyones animals doing? Any babies due yet?
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2010 :  07:18:31 AM  Show Profile
well howdy farmgirls, its a warmer day here today. we are 20 degrees. that beats -6 anyday. at least the cow pies are easy to pick up. frozen hard.lol we just finished 6 acres of fence and cross fence. i found an out building on craigs. we have it delivered today. this is so exciting for us. to be able to stay here and live in our home. then with the cows across the road on pasture. wow i have wanted to use that land for 18 years. its now part of our farm circle. belle loves it. we move calves soon. 3 go in there plus 2 cows. and of course belle and sophie. lisa and ron who help us here out did themselves. a fine job of helping us. i know you are all busy today. thinking of you all and have a happy day sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2010 :  10:51:35 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye- You sounds so busy, I am like jealouse! I want acres upon acres!
Maggie- nice to see you, here again. I have missed you. How is everything?
Kristin- I hope the buck works for you. I think he will figure it out. I know of little ponies getting horses prego.!
Leanne, Sherrye- Wow you guys a really getting the winter weather. We are staying cold, but no snow yet, just freezing rain.

Ihop all of you had a great Thanksgiving. Stay warm!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2010 :  7:53:31 PM  Show Profile
oh angie, i am with you. i want lots and lots of land. we have 2 acres is all. i use all the neighbors land friends land and my sisters place. for my stock i am excited to get some closer to me. the calves will be sooo fun to train. so i am with you angie. i share the food we raise with those that share their land or their muscles. we all get great food. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2010 :  8:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Angie, I missed you too! Everything is going well here. I just breed one of my girls last month so I am expecting babies on March 28th. :) Really excited!
I have also joined the 4H showing goats so I am getting a pure breed Nubian in March also. I'm super excited about that! How are you doing?
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!
Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2010 :  11:14:18 PM  Show Profile
Sherry & Angie- We are getting quite a start to winter. Just about @ days break and now they are saying snow likely the beginning of the week. At least it is around 30 degrees during the day. One of the nights was below -10. Pretty darn cold. Sherry- I am a CNA at one of the local nursing homes. I work from 2pm to 10pm. So I milk at about 12 pm and then at 12 am if its not below 0 degrees. If it gets too cold I let the cows together after the first milking so that they can huddle and keep warm. I was pretty worried about Bella our goat because it had gotten so cold and she started shivering pretty bad...but she made it through that first arctic freeze. Cj-that sounds like fun having longhorns...they are always so fascinating to me! Well its getting late gals...have a good Sunday!

Leanne

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  07:48:42 AM  Show Profile
we have a slight break in weather today. little warmer. still froze at 22 degrees. better than those minus temps. i am missing kris sherrill these days. hay kris where are you? i hope miss T is ok. have a LOT of milk today. so cheese day for sure. hope you are all well and warm happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  08:05:21 AM  Show Profile
Hey ya'll! I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Sounds like there is alot of really cold weather out there. I hope everyone's got good heat and are staying warm enough.

I am going to take the little buck over the hill tomorrow for a few weeks. There is a lady over there needing him for her girls. I will get him back in 2 weeks and see what happens. I hope my girls are pregnant by now. He's been a little over a week now. And they all seem to be getting along with no fighting at the moment.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  1:15:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Sounds pretty cold out there! We are going to be below 20 for the first time this year, gonna leave the water trickling to keep the pipes from freezing. If the wind would just quit, it wouldn't feel quite so cold! LOL!! I actually had to pour out a gallon of milk this morning. My friend who usually gets a gallon from me every week hasn't picked up yet and I just had too much, even with making cheese. It really hurt me to pour out the milk. Cold and windy here today, goat meat posole is on the menu with some homemade tortillas. Yum! Ya'll keep warm!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  3:16:52 PM  Show Profile
I know what ya mean, Candy. I am so glad I have chickens. But I also have several shelves in the freezer of gallon bags of goat milk I am saving for some pigs I will be getting soon. So I really never have to throw out milk. Chickens love soured milk. I hope ya'll stay warm.

We are supposed to get about 3 1/2" of rain in the next 24 hours here. I am not looking forward to the morning. I hate to have to go out and feed the animals in the rain. And the goats will not come out to go to the milk room for milking. So I will have to milk in the barn or just wait til Wed. I think they will be ok til then. But we need the rain. There will be no goat deliveries tomorrow though. Will also have to wait til Wed.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  12:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Jeez Kris! Hope you don't float away! That's a lot of rain!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  1:41:33 PM  Show Profile
So Sherrye we are in the same boat! I wish I had more family that would share some of their land, but the ones who have it [alot of it] do not share! Oh well if the good Lord meant it to be it will be.
Maggie- we have been good. Very busy but good. We love our shows with our local 4H. I know you will love it and do great too!
Leanne- I feel for you, I hate the below 0 weather. We are suppose to get some rain and snow and blistery weather this week.
I am sorry to hear about Bella, I am glad she pulled thru, have you ever used heat lamps?

I hope everyone [ even your four legged ones] stays warm!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  04:25:23 AM  Show Profile
Yep, we got some rain. My whole front property was under water. There was a raging creek going through the back to the front and it was full. Making lakes and ponds everywhere. I can stand in the yard and here waterfallls coming off Lookout Mt behind me. I could see several waterfalls on the way to town to pick up my granddaughter from school. Lots of water all over the place. My poor turkey coop is a muddy mess. I am going to have to move them because they cannot stay in there. Even putting pine shavings down doesn't help. I don't want them to get sick. So that's my big major job this morning. Not looking forward to that at all. They will go into a bigger stall in the goat barn.

I couldn't take the buck yesterday so will also do that today. So he had one more day to try. They were inside all day so maybe he got them again. He'll come back in a few weeks though, just in case.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  07:35:19 AM  Show Profile
glad you did not float away. ya those turkeys dont like to be wet. now we are expecting snow. we are moving an out building over for the calves in next few days. then we have 3 calves to get bangs tested and moved. they are such cute little dexters. 2 are white with black spots like the white parks. hope you dry our kris. it sure looks like winter is on us. all the farmgirls are talking snow wind rain. we are thinking all the goats are bred. lol we shall see. the 2 bucks are against the fence of the girls. i should see something from ginger soon if not.

Candy, do you make cheese with your cow milk? i HAVE to make some today. i made mozz a few days ago. i need colby. i am looking for stainless steel cheese presses. they all seem to small. anyone have ideas. i have looked at leeners.com and a few places with no luck. belle is doing great. we decided to breed her to our dexter bull. so after milking today i will take her over to pasture to meet him. his name is mr. bullseye bill. he has a cute rag top of hair in between his horns. typical to dexters.bill is also jet black shorter legs and very wide. he is in his first year of breeding. so far so good. 2 cows done WE HOPE and 1 to go. i will keep the fence between belle and bill today. she is not in right now anyway. he has ida our reg. dexter right now. we think he covered her last month. hoping hard. so down on our farm the work goes on. we are moving the building soon. im so glad. i can take a breath after we run the calves through the chute and bangs them. then we can turn them out to pasture here. i am hoping you are all warm happy and full of love. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  7:02:34 PM  Show Profile
Well, I got the little guy over the ridge to his new temporary home. He has 5 big girls to keep him busy for a few weeks. He should be a happy fella. And very tired! I think I might try to find a bigger older buck. But I hope my 2 girls are pregnant.

And I hope my goats don't get sick. I went walking this afternoon and when I got back the turkeys were all out. I went to see how and the door was open. And all the feed was eaten. So I know the goats got in and ate it all. I have a hanging feeder that was about a fourth full this morning. Surely that wasn't too much to make them bloat, was it? They seem to be ok. Geeze, those goats sure love to eat.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  06:21:27 AM  Show Profile
kris, are your goats ok after the chicken food? hope they are ok. well we have snow everywhere. we moved the out building just before the snow hit. its set up and ready for the calves. so next vet visit, bangs needs to be done. then we move them over to my field. one is a white dexter, the other is a little black one,both heifers. then we will bring freckles home. she is 7 months old. fat and sassy. the calves will live across the road in pasture. then i will run sophie back and forth to be with them. we moved bullseye bill and ida the other day. so they are in the neighboring pasture. i like having them close. in the past they were at lisa. she live about 15 miles from me. plus i can share more in the work and care of them this way. my friend bryce gave us a wine fridge. it has an adjustable thermostat. i needed something to age cheese. i am going to try it. so my next food project will be cheddar to age. i love trying new things. hope everyone is having a fine farmgirl morning. its snowing and very cold here. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  07:08:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sherrye. Yes, they are fine. Of course greedy pig Abby ate it all. The next day she would not go in the milk room and ran the other way. SO I didn't milk either of them that day. I checked on them that night and Abby had some runny poop. But the next day she was fine and went to the milk room. Lots of milk that morning. But the next morning about a pint from the both. That's it. It's finally picking back up again. This morning almost a half gallon. I still have to fix that gate. I got a few of those little latched that have a hook over the latch so it can't come off. I'll do that today. It's COLD out there though!. I want to stay in and hibernate. I hope you stay warm. And sounds like you are a busy farmgal these days. Nothing like moving around to keep ya warm, huh? Be careful out there. Keep a cell phone with youa t all times. You never know when you'll need it.

I hope you get lots of cheese made. I would love to make cheddar. I might get some milk from my friend and try it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  6:34:56 PM  Show Profile
i tell ya the stuff we go through with our critters. i am so glad the goats are ok. its so scary when they get out. our 2 pregnant sows got out today. lisa just calls and they come like dogs from the neighbors pasture. how cool is that. we fixed the fence done deal. how are all the farmgirls doing today? today my first calf steer born here on our place went to butcher early. he was born from my belted dexter cross. he was only about 18 months. he had been hurt this spring. he caught his head in the gate. we did not want him to go through the cold winter. he was still gaining weight. dinner was his name. he listed to the side when he walked. we figure he had nerve damage. he also had limited vision. so when we opened his neck there were 5 bones fused together. so he had broke his neck for sure. he was my first calf. i will truly miss him. i will enjoy his steaks. he hung at a guess of 300 pounds. maybe less. he was not very bug yet. tomorrow we are hoping the A I guy glen will come. we have to haul the squeeze chute from our farm east of here 20 miles to this pasture. so we can give her a shot. she wont breed back. 2 bulls have tried. so we know she was A I ed once before and had a successful calf. glen thinks she has a fertile egg in a cyst. the cyst kills every fertile egg coming in. so we give her a shot to stop that and then bring her in with hormones and A I her. boy i hope it works. she is a registered kerry dexter girl. full of attitude. noisy head cow. she is across the road from me with our bull..bullseye bill. but since hes been with her 2 cycles we are going to try drugs and hormone. she has been open a year. she is getting a free ride. i need calve or i eat her. lol

Candy how are things for you? angie are you staying dry in this storm?
we are deep in snow. cold out. so far our goats appear bred. we shall see. i sure hope so no boys yelling at the girls on the other side of the fence. marilynn was in on thanksgiving. so hope we are done. well happy days here sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Arctic Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Marjorie
Nenana Alaska
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  7:24:13 PM  Show Profile
Hello,

As a new farm girl I found this conversation and wanted to ask about goats. I am really interested in milk goats and would like some advice on where I can get good sound information for raising them in my cold climate of Alaska.

Thanks,
Marjorie

Farmgirl #2416

Believe in the power of Love!
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  10:35:50 AM  Show Profile
Well welcome Marjorie! I am not an expert. But I would start with some library books on goats and going to the ADGA site here is a link http://www.adga.org/
I hope you find what it is your looking for!

Kristin- I am so osrry to hear about your floods! That is crazy! I am glad your goat is ok. I agree with Sherrye, it is amazing what we go thru with our farms!
Sherrye- good luck on the AI.I have always been interested in getting certififed to do AI, but never have.

We are really cold out here, temps are between 8-20 with wind chills in the negatives! YUCK!!!
All my animals are doing good. We lost one young chicke to an owl this last week. But I know it is how it all goes around a farm.
I hope all of you stay warm and have a great holiday, and Merry Christmas

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Arctic Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Marjorie
Nenana Alaska
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  10:53:32 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Angie. I knew nothing about that website. I can see from just visiting there I have a lot to learn about raising goats. I love a new challenge.

Blessings to you,
Marjorie

Farmgirl #2416

Believe in the power of Love!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page