Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2010 :  08:33:14 AM  Show Profile
Candy, that really sounds good. Especially on a cold dreary day like today. I think I will cook some of my goat in a few days. I had made a roast Sunday and I am making soup with the leftovers right now.

I ran out of my Hoegger's milk strainer things so I bought a gold coffer filter. I am loving that thing. The milk goes through so fast and catches any little thing. And I can just throw it in the dish washer every few days. It's great. What do ya'll use to strain your milk?

It is a cold wet dreary looking day today. The goats are staying in the barn right now and not causing me too much trouble so far. We'll see about later in the day. I am staying in and enjoying my day at home to get some things done. I hope everyone's having a good day too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  3:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I still use the paper milk filters. Hmmm, I wish WE could have a cold dreary day!! LOL!! We are about 10 degrees above normal this week! I have some ladies coming over this evening for a cheese making class! I'm kinda excited to be able to share with someone! They all have goats but only make the vinegar cheese at this point. I am going to show/talk about Chevre and Queso Blanco tonight.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  3:51:12 PM  Show Profile
i have the gold filter now too kris. i have a half gallon strainer so the hole is small. i cut the gold screen out of the plastic. i use it loose under the metal thing. works great. so clean too. i put in dishwasher silverware spot. all is good here. other than betty being cae. so kris is right on with cae. it becomes an auto immune issue too. so failure to thrive is end result and deformed bones and pain. very sad for the goat. i still think she is pregnant. no goat i have ever seen is so big bellied. she waddles. i think the old girl marilyn may be also. so they will probably come in the dead cold of winter. lol heat lamps here. i have had the nicest couple helping here. these are new folks. HARD serious fast working gal and guy. she has even run a tractor before. yipee. i am trading food for labor. ron put in 55 t-posts in 2 days. getting fencing done. then we bring some of our cows in.hows the buck hunting going kris? busy happy farm days hope you are all having fun today sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  4:14:16 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, you are so lucky to have help. I'm sure you are loving that. I haven't heard anything else from my friend about the buck. I will call her tomorrow. I need him bad. I am getting worried.

Candy, that sounds like fun. I am going to make some Chevre next week. I hope ya'll have fun. Let us know how it turned out.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  10:16:41 PM  Show Profile
Hey Dairy Gals!! Its been forever...my Sass is now 5 months old and getting big! Maizy (mama) is I believe for sure preggos; she'd be about 3 months now. Bella (our goat) is my lovey:) She nestles her nose in between my arm and leg while I'm milking....she's so sweet! Can't believe its already almost Thanksgiving and this will be our first year butchering our very own turkey which we found out is a lady! Hope everyone else is doing well! Gotta get home...expecting snow and around 25 degrees tonight...brrr!

Leanne

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  05:55:48 AM  Show Profile
good morning leanne, its so good to hear from you. i wish my cow was bred back. she is not showing her heats very good. so i am going to being anorther cow home to help me figure it out. i want to A.I. her with mini jersey semen again. we are doing god here. putting the does in with the bucks these days. since no babies here. i am disappointed, but can wait till spring for kids. we went and looked at 2 bred sows and a boer and 3 babies. we might buy all of them. lady needs them gone. we need babies. fair time will be here soon. hoping for fair show pigs to sell. we shall see. lots of money and work for sure. they would go to my friend lisas place she has more land. gonna snow here too. Very cold. had snow yesterday. another snow storm blowing in off north alsaka pacific. heres hoping you all have a fine day. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  04:28:26 AM  Show Profile

I was going to do this a month ago.......time flies. Here is Ivy, born Sept. 28th. That was a couple days after she was born. You should see her now, she looks like a little beef calf. I have her seperated at night,and she is with her momma all day. Yesterday morning I caught her trying to get a meal off of one of my beef cows, the little bugger. I guess momma didn't have enough milk for her yet.
This picture feature sure works easy!
Happy Milking
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  05:20:41 AM  Show Profile
Michele, she is so cute. I bet she is much bigger now. Those Jersey babies are the most beautiful babies ever. Thanks for letting us see her.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  12:09:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness Michele she is gorgeous!

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  07:03:36 AM  Show Profile
kris did you find a buck yet? i have the 2 i was going to butcher. they spent a good day with ginger my la mancha this week. i am hopeful. we shall see if anyone else comes in. i have the bucks next to the girls. with a wire fence between. as they show me they are interested i will shift them in and out of the boy pen. marilyn spoke last nite. i have never heard her make a sound. not sure about her now. at least i have a buck. so sorry you have had trouble finding one. hows your lady doing. keeps ya busy being a care giver for sure.

Leanne did you get snow? we sure have here. moved my chickens so now no eggs. silly birds. belle is doing great. still about 5 gallons a day. lots of cheese and butter. sophie is being halter trained now. she is growing like a weed. our dexter has an eye infection. we are shopping for more pigs. GOT MILK need pigs.lol the ones we have now are 300 pounds. so off to the butcher very soon.

Candy i know i could miss a rainy. but i just love warm and dry. we are froze here. so some warm sun would be great.

Angie are you doing a big turkey? hope all is good for you girls happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

JenStewart
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jenny
Armada Michigan
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  1:58:04 PM  Show Profile
Michele she is so cute. Makes me want a baby jersey now. I sure hope our AI took. This will be our first calf this summer. I am so excited!!! I just love jersey calves and cows.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  3:57:42 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, no buck yet. I might have to go get him myself. I am getting more worried every day now. I want spring kids, not summer. I wish you luck with yours.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

rachaeltolliver
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Rachael
Petersburg VA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2010 :  05:18:30 AM  Show Profile
I am new on here but I have a Lamancha doe, nigerian dwarf doe, a toggenburg buck & a lamancha nubian buck. Both does are due in march & this will be our first real experience with milking goats. I did it a few times when I was very young but this will be a learning experience. This is a great post. Hopefully I can get some tips ffrom those who are more experienced.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2010 :  09:02:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Ivy is very pretty. But she is also a spoiled little brat! I have had the halter on her 3 times, oh goodness does she throw a little Jersey Heifer rage fit. :) That is one thing about leaving them on the cow, they don't tame down like they do when you bottle or bucket feed. Not sure how long I will leave her on. It is nice not being swapped with milk, but there are times I would sure like more.
Snow today

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2010 :  10:18:17 AM  Show Profile
my jersey baby is crazy too. she is 10 weeks. i love the milk yum. she is learning her halter these days. i leave the lead on when i am cleaning stalls etc. she is learning to not pull. hope to figure out posts so i can share sophies pics with you. my friend brought me a cd of isabelle birthing sophie. amazing photos. so sweet. belle is such a god mommy. love love love my cows happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  06:07:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rachael. I have a Lamanca doe and a Nubian doe. I am milking OAD now. I get about a 1/2 gallon. I have cats and dogs who get some too. They love it. Have you milked yours yet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  3:51:59 PM  Show Profile
Candy- I am so wanting to learn to make cheese. I keep reading about, just have not tried it. I just let my only goat in milk dry up, but am pretty sure I will be having some babies in April. So then back in the milk we go.
I have so much canned and frozen and dried, I will not have to buy hardly anything in the stores except butter and milk!I even have some milk in the freezer for the winter!
I hope everybody is ready for the winter!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  3:57:50 PM  Show Profile
Angie, I hope you get to make some cheese. It really is easy. I made feta last week. I am going to make Chevre and hard cheese this week sometime.

I am finally getting the buck Sat. morning!! I am so glad. I was getting a little worried.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  4:09:38 PM  Show Profile
Kris-I really so love my boys! I rub and love on rhem daily. I have to watch them eat and then take away their buckets. Otherwise they stick their heads in the handle and get it stuck on their sides. The kids did chores this morning and when my hubby and I pulled in we seen they had left the buckets in the barnyard. The one buck had the bucket on his side like a giant wort! How crazy it is!
My turkey this year is one we raised, he is probably 15-18 lbs! So not to bad!
I will learn to do cheese just kinda afraid to mess it up.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  12:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Angie - Making cheese is really pretty easy if you stick with the fresh cheeses. I have never tried any of the aged cheeses because I don't have the proper facilities for aging but I love, love, love the Chevre and Queso Blanco! I would recommend getting the book "Goats Produce Too! The Udder Real Thing" by Mary Jane Toth. There are a LOT of great cheese recipes in it and also pudding, ice cream, yogurt and even some soap and goat meat recipes.

Michele - Love the picture of the baby! How sweet!

Kris - Hope the buck works out! I'm pretty sure Madeline is bred, it has been three weeks ago today that she was in raging heat and she is still pretty calm. I guess the next few days will tell! DH wouldn't be happy if we had to go borrow the buck again!

Rachael - Feel free to ask as many questions as you need! Everyone is very helpful here!

One of the reasons I think my Maddy goat is bred is because her milk production has really picked up again! Three-plus quarts a day with OAD milking! Luckily, I am still selling some cheese! Whew!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13645 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13645 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  5:17:10 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Don't have any dairy animals right now . . .but been there, done that with cows and goats. My, the memories!!!
We do have a "hobby" herd of Longhorns but they aren't dairy cows. They go in the freezer . . ymmmmmm . . . nice, lean beef!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  6:20:23 PM  Show Profile
howdy farmgirls, i read your posts and what fun you are having. i wish we would have had babies. maybe spring. i think ginger is preg now. michele your baby is so cute. dont ya just want to squeeze them. candy i wish i had some goat milk now. angie how old are your boys? mine are 8 months and they stink.lol cj thats great you have beefers. happy days sherrye kris i am wondering did you get the buck there?

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  05:24:16 AM  Show Profile
Michele- Love the picture, how cute!
Sherrye- my boys are about eight months alos. They are really smelly! But I do not mind. I just shower after. But sometimes I swear I can smell them on me all day! Oh well!
We had a scare lastnight. My oldest was out haying all the animals. My horse has always been a little pushy, especially about food. Well she kicked on of my junior does square in the side. One of the kids came running to the house screaming. I ran out, by then Cotton was quite. She seems fine. But I moved my girls to another pasture area. We will be amking them a small lean too this weekend to get out of the weather. We were going to make the lean too anyway. But now we will hurry up on it. I gavethe girls two un used dog houses for now. If my horse keeps this up she will have to go. I am sorry to say it like that. I do nto have a lot of acerage, we are not doing anything with her anymore and she is just getting to pushy with my goats and they are my big dream. I love my horse and am glad I rescued her. But I just don't have time to do much with her, all my kids are getting older and really don't want to mess with her anymore. So she just hangs out with the llama. Doe this sound bad? Am I being unreasonable?

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  05:29:26 AM  Show Profile
Angie, I bet that was scary. I hope the goat is ok this morning. Sometimes those bigger animals can be meat. I cannot put my goats with my heifers anymore either because they might hurt them and I can't have that.

I hope ya'll have a great day. I am off to town all day with Mrs. T. This is my day with her. I am taking her to get her hands and feet done this morning then to the beauty shop at noon. Then we usually go eat lunch out. Then to the store later. So Fridays are busy for her.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  05:33:43 AM  Show Profile
Kristen- have fun. And THANKS! Cotton is out running around with the other girls. I will not allow my horse with the goats anymore. She is too mean!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page