Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  05:14:06 AM  Show Profile
Kris what exactly is keifer grain? Is a true grain or something else? I tried ordering that from Hoegger last year but their supplier was not offering it anymore and I kinda forgot to check into it this year my mind has been is to many other places lately.

I have been eating yogurt almost everyday but am getting tired of it. I use to love it but now I am just tired of eating it.......I never thought I would say that. My stomach trouble all started the day after the flood we had here. We lost power and decided to grab a quick bite at Wendy's in town. I had a chicken salad and it did not sit with me well. I also accidently had creek water get splashed into my mouth that same day when we pulled the fencing from the creek. Not sure how the stomach trouble started but I was a mess early the next morning. After about 12 days I went to the doctor and they ran some test. They mostly came up negative. Started probiotics and yogurt and very careful diet. I know my nerves weren't great either at the time. I am better and things have calmed down but my intestines are just not right. I wake up with pain most mornings in the left side and am still concerned. The doctor is going to set up an appointment for a colonoscopy(sp) .I am going to hold out a little longer and see how it goes the next few weeks now that some of the stress is out of my life.

I am interested in the Keifer for sure. Maybe that would help with my intestinal tract better than the yogurt. I have always wanted to try it. I have never tasted it before. Our Walmart doesn't carry it or I would have tried it.

Well I need to head out to the barn. I can hear the girls through the monitor.They haven't been making any noise at night anymore. We had a cougar here several weeks ago and it ran right at me. It was back here again the night before too.I don't hear my goats in the barn at night now and the dogs don't bark either.... its really freaky. The dogs are listening and now stay at the barn at night with the goats.
Catch up with you later.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jul 08 2010 05:18:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  06:47:36 AM  Show Profile
Linda, my goodness! A cougar? Please be careful. I know you can shut the goats and dog inside. But I hope that cougar can't get in. I bet the dog will take care of it though. I hope it doesn't come back again.

Ya know, my hubby is a truck driver. He eats all over the country. In June he got food poisoning twice. He was so sick. Stomack hurt like crazy. He felt like he had the flu. And he was really dizzy when he'd stand up and try to walk. He was fine while sitting and driving. But it would take about a week to get over it. We made him go to the doctor this last time and that's what she said it was. She gave him a prescription for when it happens again. Which she said will probably happen again. She also said it is very common anymore. People are not paying attention to cleanliness that work around food. But he has to eat. When he's home he drinks the kefir. He also takes some with him. It's like buttermilk.

So I really don't know alot about what it actually is. I have the grains that I strain every day and add more milk in the morning right after milking. It looks like cottage cheese. The stuff Hoeggar has is the kind you have to start over every time. Mine is continual and grow. And it is SO good. I have frozen lots of strawberries and blueberries and I'll make smoothies. It's so good and refreshing when it's hot out. Send me your address and I'll send you some tomorrow. I need to divide it again quick. I have already divided it 3 times already.

My youngest daughter is getting married in October, we think. But I am not getting involved. They are doing it all. We will help a little with money but that's it unless they ask for help. So I hope I won't be too stressed out. I just need to drop a few thousand pounds so I can find a decent dress to wear. That's srtressful enough right there for me!

Have a great day!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  06:51:02 AM  Show Profile
I forgot to say to go check out www.pocketsofthefuture.com and see their kefir grains and how they do it. They are very informative. Just scroll down to the video on their kefir grains. It's amazing how much they have. But you can see what they look like.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jul 08 2010 06:52:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  06:59:20 AM  Show Profile
good morning girls, i have a friend who drinks kefir everyday. she has the grains also. i think i will give it a try too. linda i used to do weddings when i was in hospitality. i know you must be TIRED now. i love kombucha from kris as well. good for gut and bowelhope you recover quick. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  07:06:15 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I do have kombucha babies too. I could send one also. I drink tat first thing in the morning and sometimes throughout the day. Then the kefir in the morning and evening. It helps with digestion. And I have not had heartburn in a LONG time!

Sherry, you want some grains too? I'll have to see how to ship them before I send them though. Not really sure.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  11:58:33 AM  Show Profile
Kristin that sounds really cool. I tried downloading the video but with my super slow internet I finally gave up. But enjoyed reading all the info tho and the website. I am very interested in getting some grains. I will send you an email with my address. I will send you the money for the shipping when you find out how much it is.

I feel for you hubby. I don't eat out very often because of getting sick and also its does cost extra. Your hubby being on the road doesn't have a choice so he's has to be super careful.Food poisoning is rough. I think thats is what happened to me but it has messed me up really bad this time. I use to work in the food industry for 11 years and I have seen how many people handle things. Today it is so much worse. When I worked in the food industry which is now been over 18 yeasrs ago people cared more and had pride in their jobs. Today its just not the same. Its so sad.

The kombucha..... Lisa has some I could get from her. She told me that you had sent her some and its doing really good. At the time she ask me if I wanted any and I kind of shyed away from it because of the crazy wedding stuff and my stomach. I may give that a try too. I have a really sensitive stomach and intestines.I wish I had a stomach like my mother she can eat just about anything.

I use buttermilk to make pancakes and stuff but never really liked drinking it plain. I don't know if I would like it plain but putting fruit in it sounds wonderful.

I know what you mean about losing weight for the wedding. I managed to drop about 7 lbs before the wedding. It wasn't to hard this time because I was push mowing every six days and working my bum off at the garden and barn. God help me this winter. Thats when the weight usually comes back on....lol.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  4:01:23 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kristin,

I decided to try to download the videos while I was working inside and outside today. It took about 41/2 hours to download the 3 keifer videos. They were really cool and I am glad I took the time to do that. It gave me better insight on how the keifer grains should look. Are the people in the video the ones who have the website? Also they keep referring to a Daum person and their website. Do you know what website they are talking about? Anyway thanks for the website. When I have more time I will read the other links. Thanks so much.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  5:04:00 PM  Show Profile
Linda, try this: http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html. He has a ton of info on kefir. Or try Dom's About Kefir in-site. Hope this helps. I'll send your grains Monday.

If anyone else needs kefir grains I can send some more.

We got about 10 minutes of rain this afternoon!! It's still wet out there too. It's supposed to be cooling off slightly this weekend.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  5:05:38 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I just ried to go there and it says it's broken. But go to the 3rd suggestion and there is Dom's about kifir in-site page.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  5:15:05 PM  Show Profile
Go to "How to share kefir grains" too. That will tell you what to do when you get them. He is just full of great info on kefir. You should go to all the sites that are on that page. I am going to save it so I can go there when I need help.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  4:13:19 PM  Show Profile
well thought it was time to bump this up. we were able to load dinner tonight. we have come to the conclusion that he has impaired vision on the side where his neck is crooked. he is gaining weight though. so yesterday he got out 5 times. it was lisas pasture or burger for him. so i was sooo glad to see him go. he is not mean at all just used to grazing on pasture. his neck is way better so he will be happy with edible we call him eddie and herbert the pet jersey steer. lol when mr. bull comes home from working he will go in with them too. now still no new calves i give up. they must not be pregnant. we are way past due. go figure. i was sure they were. so now i am trying to calm down the doe goat. i am going to try bread tonight and just sit there. i wanted to say too i enjoyed so much teresas post on her heritage. i was raised by a hunter fisherman who LOVED the land God made. i am proud to walk in my fathers steps. this is such a great community of woman supporting each other i say thanks girls one more time. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  6:40:55 PM  Show Profile
First I must say Sherrye, your post touched me. I am so glad to have this site and all of you to talk with about my farm.

I learn so very much. I now want to try Kefir grains. I have alsways had issues with my bowels and stomache. As soon as I eat I go to the bathroom. I honestly just was about to give up on it. I just thought " oh well it is just me" But now I will try this. I hope it will help.

My does are at fair, my daughter is showing them on Thursday. I love them and miss them sooo much.
My bucks are settling into there bucky behavior. They are friendly and I can handle them. I am so happy with all of my animals.
I have 17 meat chicks. They are free rangers. So I do have them around quie a long time; for meat chickes!
This batch loves the llama! She lays out under the mulberry tree during the hotest time of day, and they all line up next to her! This afternoon the bucks were with her too!!!
I am offically getting 4-5lbs. a day from my ND. I would say for her size that is not bad, is it?!
Well I hope you are all doing well and staying cool.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  8:06:54 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, I am so glad you have everything under comtrol. You Dinner sounds like he will be happy where he's at now. How is it going with the new doe? I bet she loves the bread. Mine fight over any I give them. I have to make sure I have enough for all 4 of them. They can get awfully mean when it comes to treats.

Angie, that is so exciting to be showing your goats. I hope they all win something. Let us know what happens. And I would be glad to send you some kefir grains too. I just sent out Linda's today. It was only a few dollars to send it. She should get them Thursday. I have enough to send you some also. Just let me know. And I think that's alot of milk for a ND. I used to weigh every time I milked and wrote it all down on my calendar so I would know when they dropped any and try to figure out why. But I don't anymore. I just milk, throw it all in the big tote, strin and put in the fridge. If it starts tasting bad I have to milk each one separate and see who it is and go from there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  07:49:51 AM  Show Profile
howdy to you all, well now isabel is getting out. she is pushing fences and going where she wants. i am sure its since she is alone. she has goats but its not the same. so now i may need to bring home a cow to be with her. well i can tell you now it will not be dinner. lol gone this am so will see what she does while i am gone. she could get out but only out to our place. so we shall see. kris i dont think we ever get it all figured out.lol its fun figuring and doing.i think it would be fun to show goats too. let us know how it goes for 4H and goats happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  09:26:50 AM  Show Profile
i have to say with out bragging that i am pleased with my self and lucky as all get out. when bell got out she took the garden tour. through the chick area. fortunately the garbage cans for feed were empty. she literally moved the cans around fishing for bites. well the big feed is up at the milk area. i bought an old forest fire hose box for feed. it holds 6 garbage cans metal with their own lids inside. she never found the box nor did she get any too much feed. so lucky for sure and glad things were under wraps. the learn as i go part is now i will use bungies on cans that are out by feed areas. she could have gotten really sick from bags of chicken food. i am sick a lot and do stuff any way. so i leave gates open etc some times. i am hoping now that i let her out on her mini pasture bell will settle down.we went and look at 5 acres on a rock so to speak. we think we may like it \. if we get foreclosed i could live there happily. different there is a well but no irrigation. dry brush and junipers. but i could by it on OWC and have a place for me and mine. it has well and septic no power. we have several generators till we could figure out solar. just thinking out loud here. gotta be ready for the coyotes at the door is what we say here. i like being prepared for what ifs. like a foreclosure that really does look imminent. sorry girls for rambling but my head is so full. i feel safe hear to share and brain storm ideas. if we go there i will sell and relocate the gardens for sure. so they can live on with some one else. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  10:15:27 AM  Show Profile
A friend of ours just came and got the last buck from last year. He was up the road with a doe and wether. We were trying to breed the doe. He's been there a few months now, I think since the end of April. Shouldn't the doe look a little bigger now? I saw her a few weeks ago and she looked bigger then. I felt her udder today and there is nothing there. I wonder if she could have miscarried? Anyway, if she doen't have kids by October we'll try again for a spring kid.

So we are going to butcher the buck this afternoon. I told him to go ahead and do the killing part, then I want to come help with the rest. I'll get half and he gets the other half for doing this for me. I hope the meat's good. He was born last April. One of the 11 bucks born that year. It's so hot. I was hoping he'd wait a little later but he wants to do it now.

Sherry, I am sure Isabel is lonely. When we took Cowboy to the butcher Mazie was awfully lonely. That's when I got Roxie. I really got her for Mazie. I will get her this weekend when hubby gets home.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  10:37:43 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kristin for sending the Keifer grains !!! I am so excited !!!

I was reading on the website a little about keeping them dormant when you don't want keifer. I know I will not want to make it everyday. I am probably the only one who will be drinking it. I wonder if I only make it once a week and store it in the fridge if that will mess it up?
What do you do with your grains when you are not milking and have no fresh milk?

I put 3 of those fat pattywack babies in a stall last night seperate from their mothers so I will have milk when the keifer grains arrive. They could look over the stall into the next stall and see their mothers but they cried off and on all night especially fat pattycake.What a heifer she is....its not like they didn't have hay and grain to eat.These babies are will be 4months old soon. Anyway they weren't to bad until their mothers walked out of the barn this morning when I was getting ready to milk them. Boy did they ever start to screaming then. It only lasted about 10 minutes and I was done milking. I left about a cup in each mother so they would have a little milk. Now they are out with the does for the rest of the day. All is quiet and I have some milk. I hate to hear them carry on like that. Thats why I have held off seperating them. I will only seperate them at night. I don't have the heart to do it all day and not let them be with their mothers grazing out in the pasture.

Sherry sounds like your having a time with your cows. Life on the farm is never boring. They keep you on your toes. Hope the property your looking at turns out to work for you. Sounds like a good plan....and your not rambling at all........its good to bounce ideas around and hopefully it will help you figure out whats best for your family to do.Goodluck in that.

Well I'm off to hang laundry outside. Its pretty hot and muggy here. Hope it dries before tonight.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  10:42:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh sherrye... I know what you mean about being prepared. I always want to be ready for what ifs. My parents are looking at foreclosure... yet they have done nothing to prepare. I wory and pray for them often. I will be praying for you now as well. I couls live with little or no power. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Lots of love!
Kristin... I am not sure I will be able to butcher my bucks. I may change my mind when I get 11 in a year, but I cant see it right now.
I hope he tastes good!
Well lots to do.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  11:14:53 AM  Show Profile
Well, I thought I had written to this already but apparently not.

Linda, I do not know the answers to your questions. I just got mine from a friend back in April. I have divided them 4 times so far. I am back down to a quart. I drink it plain and in smoothies every day. We all like it. If you go to the Dom site I posted he had answers to everything you need to know. But when I dry up my goats next year I will get cow milk from a friend. I will probably freeze some for the goat milk though.

Angie, I will send you some kefir grains next week. And I don't have a problem with eating animals I have raised. I know that' what they are here for in the long run.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  1:53:19 PM  Show Profile
I just got back and have about 25 pounds of goat meat. I didn't get any organs or bones. He was already almost done when I got there. I am going to grind some of the tougher pieces up for sausage. But it looks good. I will make the tenderloin for dinner. Anyone else ever had goat meat? I have a few times and liked it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  2:17:15 PM  Show Profile
yes kris, i have had good goat meat. getting it cold fast helps a lot. we have 2 small bucks we pulled from pasture. wild ones we will butcher. too small still. i like it. thats why we started raising the boer and bbought a herd. we only have 8 does counting ginger. so hopefully a busy fall. going to have the vet out for the 2 cows that are over due. i think they are not pregnant. darn. all this time hoping and even thinking they were showing signs well no calves. we also chose the goats since if we go off the grid on the rock here goats will thrive. it is the last property before blm i think. so way out there. but honestly its only 9 miles to the small town of prineville.so kris good job going over to help. did you like it? were you disappointed he was so far done already. i know you do chickens already. let us know how it tastes. i forgot was it wethers or a buck. my small ones are bucks still. they are about 6 months. angie i think you have some time before you need to address butchering. just my opinion happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  2:20:08 PM  Show Profile
well howdy kris, i wrote a whole post and it failed. so more later. YES i like goat. more tender i think when cooked with moisture. good job farmgirl happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  4:39:55 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, I am cooking some of the tenderloin right now. It's pretty good. I had to taste some. It's got a sweet taste to it. Pretty good. I'll probably be the only one who eats it but that's ok. Although hubby had some in a stew once and he liked it. SO he might get more that way. Or a roast. Anyway, it's good. And I was not too upset that he was almost done. It was too hot. This was a buck. He was only 15 months old. I don't mind all the rest of the butchering except the killing.

I had Boer goats before. But there is just not a market for them. More people wanted lamb. We went to a place in High Point I heard has sheep. I found the place and saw the sheep but no one was home. There were 2 dogs there that were really friendly. When we started leaving the dogs were all over the front of the car. And I had stopped at the mailbox to put a note in it. While I was sitting there those dogs just went crazy! The bigger one tore the fender thing almost off the right front tire! I mean he had teeth marks on the rubber part. So I drove down the road a ways and they just stayed in front of me. We stopped and got out to see what they were trying to get. Kansas got scared and started crying. I thought there was something under the car. We got back in and got to the end of the road and they stayed there. I did hear something under the car. But maybe they just smelled Bubba. It was realy strange. And scary. The dogs were nice though. Just another exciting afternoon!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  4:50:48 PM  Show Profile
i think goat would make great teriyaki jerky too. i think i would have been crying with kansas. i think i will kill these 2 bucks way early. i know my dogs are more aggressive when folks are coming in a gate and out the gate. we never cared for sheep or lamb. so beef and goat are what i raise most. plus i think the scrub if we go live there will be good for the goaties. i bet you are a tired girl tonight. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  05:13:35 AM  Show Profile
That does sound good, Sherry. I'd like to try that. Do you have a recipe? I have a dehydrator. I did go to bed early. Plus the fact that they brought Kansas at 6:15 yesterday morning. Too early!

I am getting 1 1/2 gallons of milk from 3 goats right now OAD. I am giving alot to all the grands. Plus drinking it like crazy. Making alot of kefir. I have started giving kefir to my dogs too. They love it. I noticed Bubba kind of laying around quite a bit. I have been feeding the raw meat and veggies to them. He has been getting fat! I think he was about 55 pounds and since feeding real meat he has gained up to about 75 pounds. He's a Lab so that's about right I guess. Also he hates being outside in this awful heat. So he's inside lounging around. I guess he should put on some weight! But I just thought if kefir is so good for us it must be good for animals too. And I have so much of it. I will give some to the turkeys too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page