Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  4:33:48 PM  Show Profile
Kristen,
I know how you feel abou the dr. But please do no twait too long! A severe infection could be horrible.
Candy is right, tea tree oil is the best. I use it alot.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  5:00:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ya'll. I have been soaking it as much as I can in Epsom salt water. But some friend's scared me today about tetanus. The last shot I had was about 20 years ago. Then my step dad had lost his thumb because of the same thing. SHoot! I told them if it still looks like this tomorrow I will go. It sure hurt like heck to milk 4 goats this morning. And I should have worn gloves or covered it while milking. I got some medical tape today and will wrap it up tonight with Nepsprin. I don't have tea tree oil. I'll get some tomorrow while I am out. But I am so tired. And that's one of the symptoms. But that's all. Probably because of the infection. But I will keep an eye on it. And thanks ya'll, for your concern. I get so mad at myself for being so careless. I knicked my middle finger a few days before while trimming goat hooves. And broke my little toe a few weeks ago. I am always doing something to myself. I need to wear gloves al the time anymore.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  5:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I hope you feel better soon Kristin!!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  6:52:15 PM  Show Profile
well kris golee girl. i think i will send you some gloves.lol i am a glove user. i am irish german thin fair skin. i can get a splinter looking at wood. you take care of that finger girl. hope its easier to milk tonight. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  06:02:15 AM  Show Profile
I forgot to say that Friday 2 black cats ran in front of me while I was out at 2 different times. I am not superstitious but then all this happened to me. Anyway, it looks a little better this morning. Of course I have whacked it a few times. I have soaked it and now it's all wrapped up again.

Milking went a lot better too. I could use my left hand more. So I hope that it is better in a few days. Thanks so much for being such nice farmgirl friends.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  06:57:25 AM  Show Profile
good morning farm girls, i brought isabella back from pasture. it was time and with buttercup gone i needed a cow. she is soooo much bigger than my jersey girl. i think she will settle down for me thought. she is not due till end of aug. still no calves here. i am wondering if maddie is preg. or not. i sure hope so.
Lisa and i went and picked up a cow for beef. she goes in tomorrow. yum.its been quiet on barn yard. you all must be out doing instead of typing. so many summer chores. heres hoping all is good.happy days sherrrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  07:27:41 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sherry. It's been so hot here all the critters just sort of hang out in the shade. I can't walk outside without getting drenched. I wish we had a pool. Heather brought over Kansas' big rectagular pool. I need to get it blown up and filled up and jump on in!

I went to the docto Sunday. There's a walk in clinic there. I got to thinking about how I got the cut and why it got so infected in the first place and I got a little scared. I was cutting some meat off bones I had gotten from a slaughter house that day. It didn't smell too good. So I probably got some bad bacteria from that. Then a few days later I went out and pulled weeds from the garden bare handed. That's when it started getting swollen and infected. So the doctor ordered a big strong antibiotic shot and a prescrition. It already looks better. Kind of like a real bad burn blister now. I will try to be way more careful in the future. Especially around knives.

It's been real quiet here since the stinkin' bucks are all gone. Mazie went in heat a few days ago. So yesterday a friend came and got her to take to his bull up the road. He said the bull chased her all over the field. But didn't actually see any action other than that. So she will stay through another cycle. Kansas will be going to day camp across the road from where Mazie is so I can check on her. Poor Roxie is missing her friend bad. She will go for a visit next March.

I hope ya'll are having happy milking times on your farms.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  09:21:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kristin - Glad your cuts and hopefully breaks are feeling better. I don't like doctors either but sometimes...you have to go. I have learned to be more careful with knives because of past cuts. the last one seriously injured a nerve. It was the last time I did anything without thought. I don't like antibiotics either. Glad you are healing!

my goats are okay - we still deal with a loud Nibs when she is wanting something or just cause she hears you. The water treatment has improved the situation, for which I am thankful. Listening to her and the DH is really to much for one person. She is coming out of heat again so milking will be easy for a few weeks. she kicked during her heat cycle. see you guys Miss Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  2:05:51 PM  Show Profile
hey girls, aint it great. i love dirt and animals. hard yes rewarding yes disappointing yes and so it goes. the cow we bought for meat goes tomorrow. isabella is settling in. she is very bossy and pushy. i can tell i will need my hollow stick. she does not kick though. ginger and betty boop look pregnant. when do you girls think they start to show.they are 2 months pregie. lol both are acting very sweet these days. i am so amazed at how the boer betty can almost turn her head all the way around. goofy goat.the little steer is healing nicley. so glad i did not have to shoot him. he had his head stuck upside down in the hinge side of a gate and post. lisa got him loose. his bruise was the size of a basket ball. vet said he would like. good thing he weighs 650 pounds. would not been good to lose him. we call him crooked neck. i got a good deal on my kill fee for the cow. FREE and i do not have to haul or do it. they are running a special. cut and wrap is 62 cents a pound. i think she will hang at 400 lbs.

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  2:10:00 PM  Show Profile
well i had more written and it only posted part. i was wanting to know if kris had to have your finger lanced or did the antibiotics work?
Miss kris i am going to remember the water idea. well i need to check all those barn buddies so i can run to town and get veggies. it is so cold and windy now. geez yesterday 80 last night 27 now freezing butt cold. no other way to say it. still using my fire. any hoot happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  2:40:40 PM  Show Profile
My finger is so much better. I can almost bend it now. Thanks so much for asking.

Kris, goats are such funky animals. My Nubian Sandy is so loud and always gets louder when she sees me. I have grown used to it. Sometimes she just goes on and on though. But she is my favorite goat. I could never get rid of her. I have had her since she was just a few days old and she's 4 now. I will always have her.

I will check on Mazie tomorrow when I take Kansas to camp. I hope she's pregnant. We'll know in 21 days. And if not now then maybe then. Then the waiting starts. I know I will be a nervous wreck by March.

So Sherry, I though you had a pregnant cow due any time. What happened to her? And now you have a new cow that you will be taking to butcher? And I wrote on your post about my pigs. They will eat anything that they get ahold of.

We just had a strange storm come through. It was mostly to the east of us heading north toward Chatt. Lots of lightening and loud thunder. It's gone now. I hate those Alabama storms. They are bad. My sunflowers were on the ground with the wind.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  7:20:15 PM  Show Profile
yes kris i have 3 cows due now. no one seems to be ready. i am still waiting for aunt jennys mona to calve. i havent heard anything from her. hoping things are ok. the cow i am butchering i bought yesterday. she comes from a clean herd of grass fed dexters. she is not a good calver. so we bought her to butcher. i need meat right now. isaballa is the 3 teat cow i rescued last year that lived. she is a pretty good girl. way bigger than buttercup was. she will calve in end of aug. so now i am looking for a cow in milk. i should have known the chicks would get in the pig pen. i thought i had them separated. darn. such is life.i am glad your finger is better kris. well happy days on the farm here sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  3:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
YAY!! So glad you finger is better Kristin! Thanks so much for keeping us updated.
This Sunday is the first day of trimming Eli and Elinor's hooves. Cross your fingures that it goes well.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  6:43:56 PM  Show Profile
Channah, just be sure to wear gloves! I was trimming the last bucks hooves before he left and got my left middle finger. I will be wearing gloves from now on for sure. Good luck. There really isn't alot of hoof yet on young goats. It's very soft too.

Does anyone feed the cut off hooves to their dogs? Mine were with me the first time I ever trimmed and they were eating them as fast as they hit the floor. They loved them. Also when we disbud they eat them too. But the girl that does them for me has dogs that love them also.Just wondering.

Sherry, I almost forgot about Isabella. Not much longer for her to go now. I bet she's fat and sassy.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  6:56:56 PM  Show Profile
she is getting there. she has already sweetened up to me. she likes her eyes and nose scratched. for me she is huge. buttercup was very small. i do have buttercups heifer calf. she is part corriente. i would never have done that. she was bred when we got her. so buttercup lives on in cocoa. cocoa is just about a year now. isabella is due end of aug. if she is bred. never checked. we think she is. so counting her we are waiting on 4 calves. i am soooo tired of waiting. my dogs love the hooves too.
Channah good luck trimming. kris is right they are so soft. take off little bits at a time.
Well dinner the crooked neck steer is better. he and isabella are friends now. he slept with his head on her back today. he is such a baby boy. he is almost 2 but just a baby.lol anyway life is good here. lots of planting going on. had my first strawberry today. actually i had 3 happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  5:11:02 PM  Show Profile
I am going to have to milk Faith TAD. She has so much milk it takes forever to get her all milked out. So I will start milking again TAD. Just her though. The others are good OAD. She had about a qt tonight. So I hope she'll be easier to milk in the morning. And they all like their alone time. I always brush them and spend more time with them. And there is so much I can do in the stanchion. Like trim feet and trim hair. The udder hair gorws so fast.

Roxie, the heifer, is doing great now with the goats. I have a red halter on her. She looks so pretty with it on. She's black. She looks more like a Jersey except the color. I petted her all over the belly awhile ago and underneath. She just stood there and let me. I hope I will be able to milk her when she calves.Which won't be for a few more years. She'll be a year old the end of Aug. I need to move her up front to clean up the chicken yard so I can get the turkeys out there soon.

Mazie is looking good. I finally saw her Thursady when I went to get Kansas from camp. I brought a bucket of apples for her. All the other cows ran but she came right to the fence. She's such a good girl. They guy said he thought she got bred the other day. We'll see in a few weeks.

I hope ya'll are having a great weekend. It's just me here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  9:35:46 PM  Show Profile
i sure am hoping she is bred for you kris. i still worry isabella may not be. we have seen no signs of heat though. she has settled right in. even the GKids could pet and love on her.buttercup only liked me. i think she will be fun. so i am thinking isabella needs a new halter she has butters old one. i bet red looks good on black. how are your tuekeys doing. i remember aunt jenny was going to be gone a while. i am still wondering about her cow mona. hope all is well for them. heres to a great farm day happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  06:24:36 AM  Show Profile
Well darn. Faith has foot rot. The past few days I have beeb soaking her front feet in half bleach and water while I milk her and the others. So a good 30 minutes. Then I put some LA200 in the hoof. I had trimmed them up really good before this. Then I put the foot in a baggie and tie it up. I have her out in the back yard where it's dry. I read that foot rot is caused by extreme wet conditions and heat and humidity. We have had rain lately. But the water line we had fixed last fall is now leaking at the faucet that is in the "holding area" right before coming into the milk room. It's like a mini swamp right there and they have to walk through it. So we have got to get that fixed. I need to also put rocks in the path. Anyway, it's dryer in the back yard. She's getting better.

I had noticed Abby a few months back doing the same thing but she was better the next day. I just thought one of the other goats hed rammed her and she was bruised. Maybe. But the others are just fine so far. It is supposed to be contageous so that's why I put her in the back yard by herself. She can still see the others there.

I moved Roxie up front to clean up that little pasture. I was trying to get the rope on her halter and she kept trying to head butt me. I finally went out and did it through the gate. Then I had to drag her across the yard. I got her in the pasture and tried to get the rope off and she lowered her head and came at me hard. I had a big stick and whacked her good and she did it again. So I got on the other side of the fence and got the rope off her. But I was so mad at her. I just hate to have to carry a weapon with me when I am in there with her. I had to do that with Mazie when she was younger. She has settled down a lot since she's gotten older. And I hope once she is pregnant she will be lots better. But I have a ways to go with Roxie. She's just 10 months old.

The turkeys are doing fine. I had to put the long feeder in the cage because they kept knocking the bowl over. And I put a bowl of loose dirt in there too. And got a little handful of grass and cut it up and put it in the cage. They ate that up. They are so pretty. A kind of brownish pinkish color. They are getting their pin feathers.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  6:20:07 PM  Show Profile
your a busy farm girl kris, so how are they this eve? did they all stay put? is it still hot? we had a hot day yipee. i pick up chicks in the am sure had a nice day with isabella. she loved my rubber curry comb. i think she is a sweetie. this has got to be a fine life for her. after her life in a back yard before we rescued her. she is calm sweet and slow. i love her. we went and looked at 5 acres for sale today. we liked it. if we lose this i need to know i have some where to go. some know our story. anyway happy days on the farm here. waiting on ida to calve hopefully by morning.sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  08:53:36 AM  Show Profile
Yes, it's too hot here. All the animals are where they should be so far. I forgot again to turn on the light for the turkeys last night. But they were fine this morning. I have got to figure out where to put them in a few weeks. I'll need to build anothe long cage to put them outside. They are growing. I need to order some meat birds soon. Have you gotten yours yet?

How's your laboring cow? Had a calf yet? I would be a nervous wreck. I know I will be Mazie is ready. But I have 9 months to wait. That 5 acres sounds good. Is it a good price? I have been thinking of selling this place and getting a little closer to town. Me and Kansas went riding around yesterday on the way home and looked at houses. We saw an old house with lots of land for sale that I liked. But there is still so much to do to this place before we could put it on the market. And no monet to do it with.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  7:59:26 PM  Show Profile
well the cow is still laboring. we now have 3 calves due when the moms are ready. i am anxious some. so much else to do so stay busy. i hate hot. yes we have 15 fryers now and 50 coming tomorrow. we bought 6 pigs so far. we are going in the butcher hog organic range grass fed pork. along with cow and goat milk. they are a perfect fit. still need to plant tomatoes out and other plants too. need more energy and daylight.lol happy days sherrye very sad aunt jennys cow is not pregnant. i told myself next year i am going to do the tail bleed and know for sure. we will see what we get now too..

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  06:22:05 AM  Show Profile
Morning - I have been busy with life outside my farm. How I wish I could just be busy with my farm and not my (other)job. I have been so empty that I have not spent any time with my goats other than to feed and milk. Besides, with the noise problem between DH and Nibs...I try to stay away from them during the day cause she talks to me when I get close.

You telling about being head butted reminded me of the ram I kept for my dad a few years ago. We shared him for my ewes and his. Because Dad was getting older, I decided to care for the ram. He thought I was fair game and would come after me when ever he had a chance. One time, he really hurt my hip, knocked me down - well, he got a good spanking from a big hard stick. I brought the stick in with me every time after and he never connected again. Man, that hurts.

We have been raising meat chickens for years but have found a place that raises them on grass and can buy them for as much as it cost to raise them. So, we are going to try that. Then we don't have to worry about them dying when it gets hot.

We have had many inches of rain here........flooding everywhere. Take care - Miss Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  3:41:53 PM  Show Profile
I know about those darn rams. Had that happen to me too. Never again! I hope Roxie will settle down as she gets older.

And that woould be a great idea about the chickens. I am really not wanting to raise any right now. I just don't feel like doing anything else. I am wondering what to do with these turkeys now. They are getting bigger every day. And it has been about 97 every day. I don't know if it's too hot for them outside. I'd hate to lose any to the heat.

Faith's foot is better. I put down alot of driveway blacktop in the paths that were staying wet. I really don't think I need to worry too much about it being wet anywhere else.

A friend called today and wants goat milk for her puppies. She's coming in the morning to get a few gallons! I am so glad to sell some milk. I am trying to save as much money as I can from eggs and milk and produce for my daughter. She needs to have surgery and needs to pay her deductiblw first. I just hate how people with insurance are treated.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  4:25:39 PM  Show Profile
I just got done cathing up on the last pages. I haven't been on the computer for awhile. Between my intestinal disorders and the wedding plans for my son I just got too busy. My sons wedding was last Saturday and everything turned out well. I finally feel like my guts aren't twisting up anymore. Still having some trouble but each day a little better.
I have missed reading this thread so much!!! I feel like its been forever. Hope everyone is doing well. Sounds like everyone is busy with summer chores,gardens, and animals. Its been so hot here also. I do not handle heat well so I try to get my outside work done by 11.00 and then head inside for the day. I am watering the animals 3 times a day. I sware I could have boiled eggs in the water at 2.00 this afternoon. It suppose to be in the mid 90's again tomorrow. Today it was 97 degrees. The barn fans are running on high trying to keep the air moving.
Anyway I'm off to do chores and see if anyone has any milk for me tonight. I still have 7 babies and 10 does and 2 bucks. I think after the heat breaks this weekend I might take the big fat babies away from their mothers overnight and milk them out and then turn them back with their mothers the rest of the day. Those babies are so fat its pathetic. Pattycake looks like a black and white beached whale. She is 14 weeks old and weighs over 90 lbs. She hardly eats grain its all from the tons of milk she drinks from her mother........lol.Her mother is the one I almost lost due to delivery trauma. She is doing really great now. Anyway I'm off and running take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  5:27:12 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I am so glad the wedding was good. And I hope you get all straightened out soon. That's no fun. Do you need some kefir grains yet? I would be glad to send you some. Mine are growing like crazy right now. Let me know and I will send ya some. It's SO good. I am drinking it all the time plain. It really works wonders.

Yes you need to separate the little fat buggars. Goodness, sounds like they are all just waddling around.

It's been in the very high 90's here and will be for awhile. No rain at all. I don't have fans out there but they do have planty of shade. They all take afternoon siestas. It's so cute. Then back at it again. I went ahead and put Roxie and the does up front and they got in the big garden. I don't care. They can have it. The weeds were taller than me out there. I have the other garden so it's ok. Less work for me to do. Although I will miss all the corn.

Have a great evening. Hope it cools off for ya'll up there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page