Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  09:46:55 AM  Show Profile
Sorry Kristin,

I looked back at the previous post and you did post the info and wrote that you didn't know that much and for me to look at the websites you posted. I apologize for asking you twice. I didn't realize I was repeating myself.

Sherrye I have had goat meat one time. A friend of mine did a wether that was about 11 months old and it was some of the best meat I have ever eaten. I just have not had it in me to eat any of ours yet. I get to attached. But so far the boys have usually gone for 4-h projects so we usually aren't stuck with any. But we have talked about it maybe for next year. I think I would have to have someone else do the deed. I think after that I could process the rest. Goat meat is suppose to be some of the most very healthy meat you can eat. Its very lean. It kinda reminds me of beef and deer cross if that makes any sense.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  6:22:03 PM  Show Profile
kris how was the tenderloin? wanting to know. i am watching these little bucks and they have good bodies. thick like a boer. grass fed only. happy days sherrye kris do you have sheep now? i was given a leg of lamb> no clue what to do with it. IDEAS girls?

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  6:29:06 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, I have marinated the leg in olive oil with garlic and rosemary then just get a pan hot with oil and sear all the sides then pop in the oven for several hours on low. It is amazingly good! And I have a guy who knows someone with meat sheep. He's supposed to let me know. But me and 2 others are wanting to raise 3 to butcher.

And the tenderloin could have been cooked in the oven a few hours so it would be tenderer. It was good but could have been a lot more tender. Good though anyway. I was wondering what you had butchered? You were saying something about all the meat you have now.

Linda, I hope the kefir got there ok. I don't know a whole lot about kefir yet. I guess I should go to that site and read up myself. I need to know the same things.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  6:39:33 PM  Show Profile
kris i butchered a cow dexter that had the bull dog gene. her calves were deformed everytime. she was from a different herd not ours. she had a bull dog calf in her. very weird looking. she was a gorgeous cow. perfect shape. tastes delicous. so am making dog food and rendering fat for soap. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  05:04:22 AM  Show Profile
I have had goats meat, I did not mind it, it was just a little dry. But maybe that is how the person prepared it. It seem to have very little fat. I am not opposed to eating my animals. We have and do butcher chickens and rabbits and cows and whatever! I do not mind any of that. I just love watching the little kids when they are young, I hope not to get myself caught all up and attached. I haven't yet, but never had goats before! I seem to have a soft spot for goats!

Did you wether the goats you planned on eating or just left then bucks? I was wondering if they get a strong smell if left bucks?

Show results...
Best Udder... 3rd [up against Saanen goats]
Milk Prod... Res. Grand Champion [judge very impressed I get so much from a ND 4lbs a day]
3-5 yr. Doe... 3rd [up against Saanes and nubians]
Intermediate Doe [ we had two showing in that catergory]... a 5th and a 7th [out of like 10]
Best of three Does... 8th [judge felt there was to mush size difference between my does]

So all and all, not bad. I learned a lot and really had a great time. It was really HOT!!! But no animals or kids got sick!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  05:37:03 AM  Show Profile
Sherry, I would love to render beef fat for soap. I guess I could get some from the slaughterhouse where I get meat for my dogs. Or just save the fat I get and freeze it. I have read about tallow soap and want to try it.

Angie, I am so glad ya'll had fun at the fair. And that you learned alot too. I have never been to a goat show. But one of my goats, Abby, had been in them before I got her and she won several times. SO I hope next time goes better and they get closer to first.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  07:03:31 AM  Show Profile
Kristin,
the kefer arrived yesterday. It seemed to be okay and was still in the baggie. It was hot because I it had been in the mailbox about an hour before I realized the mail lady had come. I put it in a cup of room temp. goat milk as soon as I opened it. It seems to me thickening up this morning already and 4:00 tonight I guess it will be ready to strain. That stuff sure looks weird. It was kinda slimy and well just weird. I have never messed with anything quite like it. So tonight I will strain it and put it in another cup of milk and start another one. I will refridgerate it before I try it. Have you ever used it in pancake recipes? Wondered if it would work like buttermilk.

I make soap with tallow, olive oil, and a little coconut oil plus essential oils and goat milk. It turns out super great. Next time I am in town I will send you a bar of soap. Its I guess what you call a castile soap. I bought a book that was very inexpensive and thats how I made my first batch of this soap. Its a really good book. Its called ( Making soap and Enjoying it by (author) Ann Bramson. It is simple and very detailed book. Its the best soap book for beginners and novices.

Sherry I also have cooked leg of lamb. I love it. I marinate it also in olive oil with rosemary and Natures Seasoning by Morton. I cook it until its slightly rare and serve it with oven roasted potatoes with he same oil and seasonings on them. Its so good.

Angie sounds like you did pretty good. You placed in alot of catagories. A friend of mine is showing her does she purchased from me last year at the show next week. She has spent so much time clipping them....its alot of work to get does ready for show. Its been so hot here I'm sure they are much cooler with their new hair cuts.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  07:22:07 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I use it just like buttermilk. I don't buy it anymore and just use the kefir for anything that calls for buttermilk. I made a buttermilk pie and used the kefir. It was good. Not a lot of difference but so much better for you. If it gets too thinc add more milk. I think the ratio should be 3 to 1. Milk to kefir. But on Pockets of the Future they put alot of kefir grains in just a half gallon jug. I forgot to say I use the same jar for about 3-4 days. The change it. And I think you can put the grains in the fridge with a little milk when you aren't using them or go away for awhile. My friend did that and she says hers are good. It might take a few more days to get them woke up though.

If you have any questions just ask and I will do my best to answer. Or else I'll ask Catheryn (Urbanfarmgirl). She seems to know alot about this. You could probably email her.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  1:39:09 PM  Show Profile
oh happy days on my farm. now with dinner out with the boys at lisas. i am moving isabel the 3 teat cow across the road to pasture. papa is hanging gates as i type. i am so excited. i do need to fix a spot on the fence. then she will eat for days.10 acres of grass. what a load off. now i can wean hippos calf and get her bred back. such a bummer the 2 registered dexters are not pregnant. such is life. still happy days here hoping all of you are having fine farm days. i am still filtering beef fat and making dog food. i am going to go get carrots etc to add to the meat and organic red wheat. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  6:18:40 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sherry. Do you cook your dog food meat or give it raw? I started the raw meat for my dogs and they love it. I had gotten 10 pounds of ground beef hearts and mixed it with a bunch of veggies and pasta and garlic powder and garlic. They like it. Lately I have been cooking the meat a little like rare because they weren't eating it like thay had. I have to cut it up small for the old dogs and Bubba gets chunks. Anyway, thought I'd ask.

I may be selling Sadie mae Belle. I had her back on Craig;s List and had an email from a lady near me. She's getting 2 other does Monday and wants to come see her then. Her hubby is making everything so they will be ready for the goats. She sounds really neat. She has 5 girls and homeschools too. Anyway, sounds like she might be the right person for Sadie.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  7:05:11 PM  Show Profile
thats exciting about sadie kris. i cook the food. i do because i am boiling the meat and bone to get the meat off. then keep broth. i am grinding red wheat. i will not cook it. i am going to steam the vegies and put garlic in raw. i am not that exp. at this. but i think teresa said with a good dog multiple vitamin they should be ok. they do get raw bones that are not too fatty. still making dog food and rendering. i am sick sick sick of doing it now.lol happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  7:36:47 PM  Show Profile
Was a stormy night last night. It thundered so loud my goats yelled and kept us awake. I made several trips to the barn to make sure they were okay. I have a baby monitor so I could here them. The lightning was crazy. My poor dog Toby paced and wined all night. Felt so sorry for him. In the morning went out to milk the girls and it started up again. The goats calmed down once they had their breakfast and were munching happily on their hay. Tonight I didn't seperate the babies from the moms because I want to get some sleep tonight. I have enough milk to keep things going. I will do it the next night.

Sounds like alot of work Sherrye. You are very industrious and I bet your dogs are so glad you are. Its neat that you make your own dogfood. Mine get dry and either scrambled eggs, raw meat, or leftovers on their kibbles. If I don't put something on their dogfood everynight they would think I didn't love them anymore....lol. I also get a big box of bones from the butcher. I have 5 pyrenese and one coon/shepard cross and its takes alot of food and bones to keep them happy. Giving dogs natural food I think is good for them.

Sherrye what does it mean when your cow had a bulldog calf? I have never heard that term.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  07:30:54 AM  Show Profile
hi linda, a bulldog calf is dna flawed. if the female and male carry a certain gene in their gene pool then the baby is a bulldog. they have no nose really and no lower area for the muzzle. all the face is squished up into the head. i saw her calf she was carrying. it would not have lived in the womb long. they usually only live hours or days. it comes from breeding to close. similar in llamas different name is all. she sure tastes good though. hope all is well. stay cool. i am fixing fence and finishing dog food today. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  08:15:06 AM  Show Profile
The past 2 days when I am ready to milk and get the goats in the milk room Sandy has not wanted to go in. Yesterday she almost ran the other way before I caught her. Then I had to drag her in. Faith wasn't so bad. But it was like she was scared to go in. I had just been in there filling the feed trays and never saw anything. And she did the same thing this morning. She's fine when she's in the stanchion though. It's like she senses something in there and I don't see it.

There is a hen sitting on a nest of eggs right by the door but up on a shelf. I wonder if she is afraid of that? Surely not. I am just hoping there is not a big ole snake hiding somewhere in there. I can't even imagine that. I have been praying that God would run off all te snakes from my property.

And the lady has emailed me saying she isn't coming. She was picking up 2 does today and said that might be all she needs right now. Oh well.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  11:09:27 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I hope it all works out as you want. She sounds neat enough to care greatly for her.
Sherry, Sorry to hear the dexters were not preg. I know how disappointed you must be.
We are butchering chickens today. I think it will be something like 15 or so. We are then having dinner and cake for my MIL, she lives here and is 61 today.
All the goats are sooo happy to be home. No more hot crowded barn.
Hope ya all are staying cool and getting a lot done.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  11:28:58 AM  Show Profile
well kris i would surely keep my eye out for snakes and such. they really are not looking to hurt you. its probably the shade of the building and smell of chicken and grain. such is farm life as we say learning as we go. stay safe. heres hoping you get your goats all calmed down. i was able to move isabel the 3 teat rescue cow today ALONE. well i had a tractor. the neighbor gave me at no charge her 10 acres for my milk cow. we are going to divide it in two. then rotate her and one heifer calf for company for her. i am so happy. i hope she does not try to come home. i hooked her lead rope to the tractor then to her. then drove her across the road. whew. she got tangled in the rope about 5 times scared me a little. but for first time it went well. she has to learn to go back and forth to get milked. the calf we hope is due in aug. she looks so pretty and happy on high green grass and clover. now i am going to clean the cow barn and get set up for fall baby goats. happy days sherry hoping you are all having fun today...angie how did the butchering go. do you use a cone to kill them/ i do makes it so easy and clean. let us know what you did.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  4:34:39 PM  Show Profile
Angie, sounds like fun. I'm glad your goaties are back home too. I bet it is very loud and lots going on at a fair or show. Mine would probably hate it. It's so quiet out here.

Sherry, that sounds like a good idea. I might have to do that to get Mazie home. It's just a mile up the road. She's never had a halter on or a rope so I don't know how well she'd do. I had to get my 2 big SIL to get Roxie back next door and it was still a lot of work with one on either side of her. Lots of work moving animals. I think I might look into getting a Border Collie or Aussie to help herd. If I get sheep they might come in handy. Even moving the goats and cows would be a big help.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  5:42:57 PM  Show Profile
yes kris you are so right. i have to fake being calm and use self talk and stay focused. i have seasoned cow folks next door they say slow slow quiet easy just slow moves and they will usually go where you want. yup pretty right for a cow. my wild goats oh my was that a trick. that lisa is amazing. any way i feel such a burden off of me. i am going to go check her again. i go about every 2 hours. she is fine i am mother hen. so i made teresas lemon muffins. put some chips on top as was suggested. oh my so good. going to take some to the hand that fixed the gate so bell could go over today. did i say she looks sooo beautiful standing in green grass happy. she ran kicked her heals twisted sideways was so happy to be out in a BIG GREEN PASTURE happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  06:54:09 AM  Show Profile
Hope I can join in here as well since I am now starting a flock of dairy sheep. I have three East Friesan sheep. They are the dairy breed of sheep. Our ram's name is Finn McCool named after the Irish hero. He is four years old. Four years ago an aquaintance of mine got in trouble with animal control because he went overseas and left his farm animals on the farm without care...Anyway when they made him come back he asked me if I would take in his nine "ewes". When he pulled up in the trailer I spotted a Jacob ram and asked him about it. He said he forgot to mention there was a ram and the ram had never been separated from the east Friesan ewes so they were probably all pregnant! Anyway the Jacob ram was very ill and even though i nursed him around the clock with IVs and antibiotics he died three days later. Then we decided to check udders and try to get an idea of when the ladies were due. That was when we discovered 2 East Friesan rams in the mix...The other 6 girls all lambed with multiples and I found good homes for all of them. I only kept the ram lamb Finn because he was the runt of a triplet group and he had problems nursing from his mom. After 5 days she shoved him into the next lambing pen and a mom with twins tried nursing him. He still did not nurse well. He would suck but the milk would run down his chin. He developed pneumonia and we brought him into the house to treat him. He did not respond to antibiotics and we ended up hospitalizing him so he could get IV antibiotics and then we had him at home for another few weeks with injectables. Anyway he never learned to suck a bottle either and so i tube fed him for six weeks until he could eat enough grain to survive. He is now a big 250 pound ram and he is my baby. Anyway this summer I decided finally to get two ewe lambs from a sheep dairy and to eventually breed them to Finn and start milking and hopefully cheese making. I have been raising sheep for 17 years but this is my first foray into dairying. The lambs are twins from a group of triplets and their names are Maddy and Amber. Amber is half the size of Maddy and we are going to wait to breed them until they are bigger. I would be interested in any dairying advice! Thanks, Sara
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  07:34:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sara.You are most certainly welcome. And dairy sheep are so neat to have. So you now only have the 2 ewes and a ram? Aren't the Freesian's an all-purpose sheep? Will you have to sheer them? And I hope the ram stays nice for you. He may turn a bit mean when breeding time comes around. So don't turn your back on him!!

I noticed this morning that Sandy the Nubian didn't eat while I was milking her. And she only gave a little over a oint of milk. I could tell by the way her udder felt there wasn't much in there. And she didn't eat. I had put them all up front yesterday. I put them all back up front this morning after milking. I just went out there awhile ago and noticed really green runny poop. So checked all behinds and it's Sandy. I just gave her 2 syringes full of Kaopectate. I'll give her some kefir later. It usually clears up in a few days and was probably from something she ate out in the garden. I hate when they get upset tummies.

Sherry, so glad Isabella is so happy. They do so much better in green pastures. We put Roxie back in the pasture Sunday. It's been empty since Mazie went up the road. So it is pretty high out there now. Lots of grasses to eat. I looked for Roxie yesterday morning and couldn't see her. I thought she's already gotten out. But she was laying down right by the gate in the tall grass! I only could see her ears!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  07:40:50 AM  Show Profile
hi sara, i have never raised sheep. i know nothing. but i will enjoy reading and learning from your posts. i have never looked at a sheep teat. are they little? are you going to hand milk? i am thinking they have super rich milk for cheese. post us stories on your sheep adventures. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  10:58:46 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is so cool Sara. I have heard of people milking sheep before but have never meet one who did. what does there milk taste like?
Hugs,
channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  11:15:37 AM  Show Profile
Channah (so glad you are back!) Pecorino Romano Cheese is made from Sheep's milk :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  2:46:02 PM  Show Profile
I had to milk my young ewe when she had triplets. She was half Suffolk. Her udder was really oily. Not like a goat. I would like a few Icelandic ewes for their fiber and milk. But they are SO expensive. I wonder how much the Freesians go for. And I love sheep's cheese.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jul 21 2010 11:31:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  09:11:47 AM  Show Profile
East Friesans are a triple purpose breed. They have the most milk of all sheep breeds and can produce a gallon a day. They are a medium wool sheep with a fluffy, soft fleece that produces a lofty yarn. The fleece is a dream to spin. They are docile and friendly. Our ram is a real love bug. They are open faced and have clean legs and little to no belly wool. Sheep milk has a totally different composition than cow's milk or goat's milk. Here it is:
Water and minerals: 79.6%
albuminous protein: 1.1%
casein: 4.6%
Lactose: 4.7%
butterfat: 9%
chloride salts: 1 %
total solids: 20.4%
Because of the high solids it produces a very high cheese yield, 2 1/2 times more than goats or cows. I am excited about cheese making eventually. I love feta cheese made from sheep's milk and I have tasted other cheeses as well made from sheep milk. It is thicker and richer when you drink it as milk. I plan on hand milking at first and then eventually maybe moving to something else. I have toured a couple of sheep dairys and seen some of their equipment. I went to one place that was milking Shropshire sheep! They are a typical meat breed and it was interested to seeing that they selected 12 ewes each year to milk and the rest of the flock was used for meat. it is just that east Friesans have a higher yield of milk and produce multiple lambs. Sara
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page