Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  2:08:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kristin, I will keep working on it. I hope to get her to a half gallon a day. That would be great. I can make some soap and cheese!!!I wish someone who had an ND would post some info. too. But I will just keep working at it till we all get the hang of it. Thanks so much for all your help.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  2:17:59 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
kris send us some of that rain please??? it is so dry here in alaska that there are forrest fires everywhere! we got so little snow this year that fires from LAST year started back up!
sadly my goat milking got busted by sending her to be bred. they said they would milk her and didnt!! grrrr. now i am waiting for butter bucket (dexter cow) to freshen within a couple weeks. i bought an electric milker and will be going next week to a 4-h leader to teach me how to use it. i figure that one of us (cow or human) ought to know what we are doing when its time! *grin*
i see someone was feeling lazy and didnt wean the kids until 7 weeks? heck i am TRULY lazy as i didnt wen mine till 5 months!! i just couldnt get out there to milk her in the cold until i had a milking machine. sadly i also didnt play with the babies enough and they are pretty wild. hopefully now tha they are being tied out daily they will settle a bit. i go out to pet them several times a day but they still dont like it after 3 weeks!
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  2:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
kris send us some of that rain please??? it is so dry here in alaska that there are forrest fires everywhere! we got so little snow this year that fires from LAST year started back up!
sadly my goat milking got busted by sending her to be bred. they said they would milk her and didnt!! grrrr. now i am waiting for butter bucket (dexter cow) to freshen within a couple weeks. i bought an electric milker and will be going next week to a 4-h leader to teach me how to use it. i figure that one of us (cow or human) ought to know what we are doing when its time! *grin*
i see someone was feeling lazy and didnt wean the kids until 7 weeks? heck i am TRULY lazy as i didnt wean mine till 5 months!! with my health problems i just couldnt get out there to milk her in the cold until i had a milking machine. sadly i also didnt play with the babies enough and they are pretty wild. hopefully now that they are being tied out daily they will settle a bit. i go out to pet them several times a day but they still dont like it after 3 weeks! peace connie in alalska
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  2:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Sorry but what does ND mean?!?
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  3:38:49 PM  Show Profile
Well, the guy came but he didn't get the Nubians. I guess because they are not 100%. They are probably 90%. Then the girl called a little after 5 and she said she was on the way from Chattanooga. Not here yet. I have been outside mowing. Almost finished and ran out of gas. Shoot! And it hasn't rained in a few hours either.

I would love to send some rain up there to Alaska, Connie. I have had enough for a few weeks. Mud all over again. That's a shame the people said they'd milk and didn't. Ya just can't depend on anyone. That's why I like to have a buck here to breed and not take them to the buck.

Kris, sounds like you need an extra fridge. I had one in my milk room but it was old and finally quit on me. So I need another one. It really comes in handy not only for milk but cheese and things that won't fit in the house fridge. I really miss mine alot. But it sounds like you doe is settling in to a routine. She'll be fine and so will hubby. Does he not like the milk?

Angie, I am making some more Chevre. That's about the easiest cheese to make. Only a few steps. And it's so good. And it really makes alot of cheese.

Channah, ND is Nigerian Dwarf goats. Just easier to say ND. Sorry.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  4:06:23 PM  Show Profile
I went out to milk Tango again, and her little buck Casper got in and milked her dry on one side! That so sucks. Oh well. He is a little baby. If he keeps squeezing under gates, I will tie him to a post so he can not get out!He eats grass, hay, feed and one 20 min. time with mom. That is plenty at his age.
Well done crying.
I hope you have good luck selling your goats Kristin.
Channah, sorry we lost you. Glad Kristin answered your question.
Love to ya all!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  4:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
no problem. :)
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  4:59:57 PM  Show Profile
Yeehaw!!!!!!!! She came and she took all 5 and she's gone!!!!! And they're all gone!!! Oh, that is so nice. I still have Durango but my friend just called and said she can come get him before lunch tomorrow. So. That's that. All done with kids now! I am so happy! Now if I can sell 2 of the does that will be a load off me. But of not I'm ok with that. I just wanted all these bucks gone. And they went to a huge 500 acre farm in Tn. not too far away. They raise Boers and some other kinds of goats all on pasture and lots of room to grow. They also raise free range broilers. She told me about a heritage bird I had never heard of before but they take about twice as long to grow. They are Labelle Rouge. Anyone heard anything about them? And she said I could call anytime to check on them. I know they will be well taken care of. And I am so glad they all went together. Even Sadie's boy that had all the problems. So they should all be happy boys.

I am draining my Chevre cheese roght now. I hope it turns out ok. I love that stuff.

Angie, those goats can get out of the smallest places. And when they want their momma they will get her. That's why I put mine up front away from the moms. It's really better if they can't see them or hear them. But that's not always easy.

Thanks for all the good wishes. It worked!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  7:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Glad everything went well Kristin!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  9:09:39 PM  Show Profile
oh yeehaw is right good for you kris. all gone in one load. hows milking going? sounds like all you gals are in the cheeses. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  06:35:30 AM  Show Profile
Its a good idea to get a second frig for milk/cheese - we'll see. Glad that the selling of kids went well. I remember when my lambs were all gone at the end of summer - good feeling.

You guys, I had such a fun moment. Yesterday I had a meeting in the evening, so I wanted to milk early and then milk again when I got home. That second milking, of course, Nibs had only a bit of milk. When I put my hands around her teats, I felt her let her milk down. It was fun to feel. I reminded me of how I felt when I nursed my sons and could feel the milk rush down. Silly, I know but it was just a moment of delight. Have a good day = Miss Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  07:14:00 AM  Show Profile
So glad you moved all your kids Kristin. I am so jealous. I think I am going to run an add in the paper. I have way to many does and need to cut back myself. I have over 22 goats right now. I am so overwhelmed.

Anyway I'm off to the doctor today. My stomach and intestines have been messed up for over a week now and I am feeling weak and dizzy. I am worried I picked up something when I ate a salad out. I started drinking goat milk and taking probiotics thinking I would get better but it didn't do a thing. Hopefully the doctor will figure this out. I have never had any intestinal problem last over 2 days before. I just don't usually get that kind of trouble its rare. Arthiris, muscle and back pain tend to be more my troubles......lol. I know he will ask me if I am drinking the goat milk raw or not. I do drink it raw but I don't think thats the problem.

Take care
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  07:22:39 AM  Show Profile
linda thats a lot of goats. wow . hope the dr. can figure out your tummy. let us know how it goes for you. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  08:48:34 AM  Show Profile
Linda, hope you find a easy good answer to your insides! take care - Miss Kris

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  09:25:38 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I hope they can figure this out and get you back on the right track again. I know they look at us like we are crazy for drinking raw milk. And yes you do need to sell some goaties! I sure feel so much better. I like having the kids around for awhile but boy can they get irritating after too long. My friend just came to get her boy, Durango. So they are all gone now! Let us know how it goes for you.

Kris, I'm glad the milking is going good for you now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  9:26:39 PM  Show Profile
The dairy goats are new to our acreage this spring so I sent out an email to family inviting them to try goat's milk while they were out for my son's graduation. My mom had the reaction of "what, RAW Goat Milk?"

Yes, Mom, just like the RAW Cow Milk you fed us for the first 18 yrs...

I had to laugh at her reaction. I expected it from my 'city slicker' bro's and sis's, but not mom.

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  8:37:08 PM  Show Profile
Penny, your mom said that? That's strange after she gave ya'll raw milk. I can't drink anything else. Did anyone else drink it? I have to bring some when I go to our family reunion. Everyone expects it now.

I was gone most of the day today. I had to get the rest of the grands. They are spending the night. So I had several things to do when we got home so didn't go right out to milk. It was about 7 before I got started. Abby is usually the first goat at the gate but she wasn't there. So I went ahead and milked the first 2. Still didn't see her. So I milked Sadie. Put her back out and went to look for Abby. She was in the barn up on a ledge-shelf with her head in the corner. I called her and she barely moved. She tried to get up but couldn't. I saw that her right foot was wedged in a small hole. I have no idea how long she'd been like that but right above the hoof was a little swollen. She was there awhile I guess because she was so hungry. She hobbled out of the barn and went straight up the hill and started eating grass like she hadn't eaten in days. She did not follow me to the milkroom. I couldn't get her to come in and get milked. She just stayed up on the hill. I fed them all some hackberry leaves. I guess I'll just milk her in the morning. She was walking better when I went in. Poor goat. I hate that when things happen to them and I'm not here.

And it's so quiet now without all those kids. Kind of strange. But really nice!

Linda, any news yet?

Sherry, how are you tonight? I'm so sorry about your cow.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  04:04:18 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, I am glad she was no worse off. When she didn't come up for milking is a sinking feeling. Hope she is better this morning. It always is scary to have to look for an animal when they are not doing what is normal. I have had that so many times. With horses, it usually means it is bad.

Take care everyone, Miss Kris

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  6:24:29 PM  Show Profile
I had all kinds of things going through my mind when she wsn't there. Lamanchas just don't make a lot of noise. So it's hard to tell sometimes. But now if that was Sandy I would have known right when I got home! She is THE loudest goat ever.

I didn't milk tonight. I am so tired. I had all 3 grands last night and the oldest has a hard time sleeping so she was up and down all night. And I cannot sleep. So I didn't do much today. So I decided to not milk tonight. They really aren't that full right now anyway. So it will be fine. And it's way too hot and I am drenched with sweat when I am done.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2010 :  07:56:54 AM  Show Profile
I milked this morning and Sandy really didn't have much more than she does TAD. Faith had a lot more. So with just those 2 that's a gallon. I am still testing Abby's milk. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not. And I don't even taste Sadie's anymore. Just goes to the chickens, cats and dogs. So I think it will be ok to milk once a day from now on. It sure will be cheaper on feed.

I am going to take Mazie up the road sometime this next week to meet her boyfriend. This is exciting. I just hope they like each other. I will have to keep Roxie with the goats while she's gone. She's not too big right now so she'll be ok with them. And hopefully eat the grass down where the goats don't eat.

Abby is back to her old stingy goat self again. It sure doesn't take her long to recover.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2010 :  12:38:38 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, I am so glad abby is ok. I hate it when their is an injury, but it does happen.

Sherry, sorry about your cow. We lost our three mini herefords last fall, it still haunts us. My hubs and I still cry over it. Hugs to you!

Linda, are you getting better, whta is wrong? I hope it is not serious.

I am milking Tango, TAD. I am getting just over a quart a day. I am giving it to my friends for their baby. She is a little squirmy when other family members are out with us, is this normal?
The buck kids are fine with out her. Mytwo little does are sooooo beautiful. I am so very proud of them.

Hope all is well with all of you.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2010 :  5:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Kristen,

Glad your goat was okay. It is always scary when they don't act/show up like they normally do. You will be SOOO glad you are milking once a day, such a relief! I started milking my Toggenberg this week, her milk isn't as good as my Alpine's is and she is so hairy!! DH and I tried to clip her today to help with the heat but she just looks like she has had a bad haircut now! LOL!! I think I am going to try to sell the Togg, I bought her last year when I was doing all the baking for the Farmers Market but I just don't need that much milk anymore. I took some of the Togg's milk and gave it to the chickens today, they never even touched it!! LOL!! I got one gallon plus one pint from my Alpine this morning, can't imagine how much I would get with TAD milking!

Sherry, sorry about your cow.

Linda, keep us posted on how you are doing.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  05:38:01 AM  Show Profile
Angie, I have one doe that is very nervous around other people and another one that I have to watch because she will head butt. So yes, I think they just get used to certain routines and people and when things are different they don't like it.

Candy, I wonder if everyone who has Toggs have nasty milk? I just give all hers to the animals to drink. It's usually all gone every day so I know someone's drinling it. But I sure can't!

I had to milk all 4 this morning with one hand. I cut my left pinky last Friday right above the nail on the bone. Friday and Sat. it was fine but Sunday it was all infected and huge and throbing and hurts. I have been soaking it in Epsom salts and put aloe and turmeric on it. Today it's hard as a rock all the way to the palm. And very sore. Mom said I should go to the doctor. I hate doctors. I think the aloe and turmeric will help with the infection. All a doctor will do is give me antibiotics and I am not taking them. So I will continue to soak it and see what happens. I kno it has to get better soon. I hate cutting myself. I really need to be more careful with knives. With anything really. I get hurt way too much. Also have a broken toe still. No fun getting hurt.

Happy Monday ya'll!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  06:54:40 AM  Show Profile
Penny,
We used to drink raw goats milk all the time when I had goats and after we moved I bought a share in a cow so that I could get raw cows milk. However, the price kept getting higher and higher as organic grain went up and I finally had to stop. I am trying to get my husband to let me have 2 milk goats again. I haven't been working so I do not have the money on my own. But I am going back to substitute teaching in the fall and then I will get them on my own. I really like Saanens as far as milk goats. Anyway it always amazes me on how people believe all the garbage the government tells them without researching it themselves. The main thing with any milk is more of a question of sanitation than anything else. By the way I am not really commenting on what you mom said more of a general overall census of most people.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  2:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Kristen,

I know how you feel about doctors and all but keep an eye on that finger and don't let it get too bad! If you have to go to the doctor, do it. That would be better than losing your finger! Have you tried any tea tree oil? That usually works pretty good around here.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page