Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  06:23:10 AM  Show Profile
Channah, I think I knew that but must of forgotten thinking I'd never have any anyway. But they loved it. I am so glad it didn't have leaves. I did cut off the sunflower leaves I have planted between my tomatoes and gave them to the goats. My goodness, they really went for them.

Sherry, at the dairy up the road where I used to get milk they fed the cows cut up corn cobs. When my gardens are done I let the cows and goats and pigs in there and they devour everything that's standing. A few years ago when I had the 4 pigs out there, they would stand on the stalks to knock them over. It was so cute. Very smart animals. But the goats have a hard time chewing it up so I would cut them up as small as you can for the goats. Do you have a calf yet?

This morning while I was milking Sandy the Nubian, she kicked the bucket and spilled all the milk. I was almost done too. I couldn't even finish I was so upset at her. So tonight I am going to tie her back legs together. She is so touchy and nervous. But I have been milking her for 3 years now. I have to be on my gaurd with her. Faith gave a half gallon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  07:10:47 AM  Show Profile
thanks kris for the info. i thought it would be ok but needed to be sure. those darn goats can be difficult. well today just cloudy so hopefully no storms now. hope you alls day and wkend is good. we are staying home.might be our last long weekend here.
So no calves yet. vet was here to help a friend with a baby goat. he said maddie has a while yet. he also said if its a boy it will take longer. so on tues. she will be 2 weeks past due. i need some boys on the ground for future meat. is your hubby gonna be home for the weekemd? hope you have fun. i could use some warm weather. i am thinking since we are desert i am going to get up one day and it will just be summer and HOT HOT HOT> happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  06:45:23 AM  Show Profile
Is anyone making kefir? I have so much right now. I am trying to use it all up. I use it like buttermilk. And I make smoothies. But I also just like it plain. I put a little spoon of honey in it this morning and it's so good. I have noticed that I am not getting indigestion lately. Which is a very good thing. I wonder if it's because of the kefir. It's very creamy and tangy and I just love this stuff. It's not quite as thick as buttermilk and last a long time. I have about 3 quarts in the fridge right now.

I have been tying poor Sandy's back legs when I milk her. She has been very good. Tonight I won't and see what she does. I hate to do that but goodness, I hate milk all over the floor too.

I talked to my friend yesterday that is getting one of the bucks. She knows someone who is looking for a wether. Mine are just 10 weeks now and are still able to be wethered. So I told her I'd sell them for just $35.00. I hope she wants one or 2. Also told her about the 2 does I need to sell. She knows lots of people so maybe can get them sold for me.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  07:18:32 AM  Show Profile
howdy kris, i bet the kefir is helping you. its like kombucha. lots of good stuff. i sure hope the goats sell for you. we sent the 2 rescues out to the big farm last week. mr. bill went home too. now just ginger and my boer doe betty boop. then maddie the preg cow and buttercup the mini due in oct. nice and quiet. well for a little while. lol we are going this am to get 2 wiener pigs. they will be in the goat barn.IT is insulated. i will hang a heat lamp. they were housed in a building. we are still cold here. so they need cozy. then i bought 25 of the regular cross. i know most dont like them but my customers want them. i get a cross that is strong. i grow slower.then if maddie would hurry up. it will be quiet for a little bit.lol so did dandy behave or is the milk on the floor? happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  2:33:15 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, you're getting pigs? I wish I could find a few for a reasonable price. I have goat milk all over. I am starting to freeze some. Sandy was good this morning. No spillage. And I have not gotten my turkeys yet. I want turkeys.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  11:32:31 PM  Show Profile
HI all!
Has anyone clabbered milk? I'm getting a supply of raw milk from my neighbor's cow (she was just dumping it out!!!), and I've tried to clabber it twice to make cottage cheese. Both times worked, I'm using the clabber like a starter for each new milk batch. Just unsure of how long the clabber keeps? Is there any danger from bacteria after it is clabbered? I save out a cup from each batch for the next new gallon. The cheese is like feta in consistency, after cooking and draining it. My mom says my great-grandma used to hang it on the clothesline to drain, has anyone heard of that before?! Worried about Crohn's disease, I've heard you can get that from raw milk. I'm a newbie, so any advice would be helpful...thanks so much!!!

-Greenhaven Gardens
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  06:29:47 AM  Show Profile
Hello Elizabeth, I really don't know the answer to your question. I hope someone else does because I would love to try it myself. Can goat milk be used to make this? I would like the recipe if you have one or the instructions. My friend has a Jersey and she has a lady from the Ukraine that wants the milk right from the cow not refridgerated at all. I think this is what she does. If I can remember I'll ask for her # and call her to see what she does. It sounds like what you're doing.

There's a blog called Chickens in the Road and she just got a cow. She has been making clotted cream with hers. She just does so much with her milk and I always go check out her blog to see what she's done next. Goats just don't make that much cream. And I can't make yogurt or buttermilk with goat milk. I do make cheese though. Which I need to do in the next few days because I have alot right now.

It's been raining here off and on all morning! It's nice to see everything look so happy. Well, everything that's green. The goats aren't liking it too much.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  06:16:02 AM  Show Profile
I finally got enough milk to make some chevre. It turned out awsome!!! I ended up with about 2 1/2 lbs total.
Now I am not getting as much milk from April. I sold 2 of her 3 kids and she still has one on her. I was getting half a gallon every morning. Now I am lucky to get 3 cups. That little girl of hers Dottie is taking about 3/4 of a gallon a day. I can tell she is turning into a little fatty. In the next week or so I have 3 more bucks going so maybe I will have more milk.

Kristin you can make yogurt and buttermilk with goat milk. I have always used cultures I have bought from either Caprine Supply, Hoegger, or New England cheese Catalog. Anyway the new england buttermilk culture I used made awsome buttermilk. For the yogurt I used Dannon and also one I purchased. Its not as thick but its still good. I found that if I used starter from the store it didn't turn out very well. I think the dry cultures you buy are much stronger. If you get a chance and the extra money you should try the buttermilk culture called (New Englands Buttermilk culture).......it really has a super good flavor. I am not even a buttermilk fan but I loved this. You can strain it in a cheese cloth and make buttermilk cheese.Its really neat.

We had a light shower while I was doing chores this morning. Just enough so the goats won't go outside. So I stuffed thier racks with hay after graining them. I can hear them through the monitor. They are all laying down now chewing their cud and singing. Nubians sure do sing and make noises.Its kinda soothing to listen too.
Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  07:01:46 AM  Show Profile
good morning linda, i would love to know about the new england buttermilk culture.my jersey isabella will come fresh in aug. i am so looking forward to the milk.how many milkers will you have? my barn is far from my house. wondering what kind of monitor you are using?

Kris did you get your bucks sold yet? we are still raining here. warm light rain.

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  08:09:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi ya'll. It's been raining here a lot the past few days. It looks like it could rain some more soon. But I ain't complainin'!

I looked out the front window awhile ago and the buck that;s supposed to be leaving soon was on the other side of the fence where the garden is. I ran out and got him out of there. He just went under the fence. So darn easy to do since the fence is off the ground a few inches. I am not a good fencer. I just might end up taking him to my friend's if she doesn't come get him. He's getting big too.

I'm glad you are selling your, Linda. I have not sold any others yet. And the cheese sounds good. I need to make some more. I was just talking to a friend that has Jerseys and she is swimming in ilk right now. One of her cows just had a heifer calf and she's leaving the calf on during the day and milking her in the morning and getting about 5 1/2 gallons. So I am going over sometime this week to help her make some hard cheese. She made moz. and ricotta last week. Lots of her customers are on vacation right now.

I have ordered stuff from Hoeggers before. I think I have a buttermilk culture in the freezer. But I have been making kefir and using it like buttermilk.

I am taking 2 gallons of milk and a half gallon of kefir to the grandkids today. So I'll have more room in the fridge. I need a new fridge for the milk room. It sure comes in handy to have one in there so I don't have to run to the house after every milking. And my fridge in the house is getting full.

Hey Sherry. How's the sick cow today?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  10:04:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kristin!
Clabber is used in place of starters like rennet to make cheese,
just like some use buttermilk.
Here's the directions I followed for clabbering milk:
Leave RAW milk on counter 24-72 hours, covered with a cloth or paper towel
(this lets it "breathe") in a sterile stainless or glass bowl.
When it "sets up" (thickens like solid yogurt), and you touch the top,
it will spring back. When it's set, a knife will pull out fairly clean.
Whisk it, and refrigerate it, use in place of buttermilk.
Pour the clabber into a colander (I use a stainless one), let it drain a bit
(the whey that drains off is great for dogs, cats, chickens - mine LOVE it!
and pour half a teakettle of hot (almost boiling) water over it. Stir the curds
quickly, then pour the other half kettle over it again, stirring fast. Rinse it
very quickly with cold water to prevent the cheese from melting. You want to
cook the curds, not melt them! Drain them well, salt to taste and refrigerate.
The curds are like dry cottage cheese (you can add cream to make cottage cheese!).
You can use them in place of goat cheese, ricotta, farmer cheese in recipes.
I like them on salads with nuts! Great in lasagna and stuffed noodles, too.
Very easy, but takes a little time to do.
I don't see why you couldn't use raw goat's milk, I skim off the cream anyway
to make butter & ghee. It must be RAW milk, pasteurized doesn't have the good
bacteria needed to make clabber.
Clabber was used to activate baking soda in recipes before there was baking powder!
(ex. "Clabber Girl" baking soda brand) The acid content activates the b. soda.
Have fun!

-Greenhaven Gardens
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  4:57:56 PM  Show Profile
OK, I just milked the goats and have a gallon of fresh raw milk strained on the counter with a cloth over the top. So I let that sit 24-72 hours. Then I whisk it and refrigerate it. I can use this like buttermilk at this stage. Then I get a little confused about the rest. I can strain what I have and it will then look like cottage cheese that needs to be washed twice with hot water then rinsed with cool water. It is then cottage cheese? So there are 2 separate steps to this process, it looks like to me. I guess I could use half a gallon for buttermilk and the other half for cottage cheese. My friend with the Jerseys is going to let me just get some cream. So that will be good to put in the cottage cheese since I like it creamy.

There is just so much to do with milk. I just took 2 gallons up on the mountain for my 2 grands up there. So milking 3 goats will give me 2 gallons a day now. Sometimes more. I want to make some hard cheeses too. And chevre. So this will be a good cheese making summer.

And I did not know that about the Clabber Girl soda. Very interesting.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  8:43:34 PM  Show Profile
oh how i wish i had milk. i love making cheese. our cow isabella will hopefully calve in aug. you girls are so lucky.
Butter ate some hay tonight. she drank some water. tiny poo. still lifting back leg. tomorrow i am hoping to draw blood to see kidney function. i think it could go either way. hoping for a good out come. she is a sweet cow. thanks for asking. i feel bad your pkgd. is so late. be sure to cut off the slimy parts. sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  10:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Praying for buttercup and you Sherry!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  01:29:57 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I think I have difficulties on the one side due to my hand. It was severly roke so not great grip now. I think this maybe my issue. I will have to start limiting the boys' time with their Mom. I was thinking it would be easier for me to milk in the morning too. So I will start putting the Mom in my stall and allowing the boys to stay with the junior does all night.
Thanks For all the help.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  10:37:39 AM  Show Profile
You've got it Kristin!
It's pretty simple once you get used to the process.
You can use a cup out of each batch to activate the next raw milk you use,
(before you drain, cook & rinse - or just use the buttermilk as starter),
then it will clabber in less time. My first batch took 3 days to clabber.
Remember to whisk the clabber into the new batch of milk until blended,
and then cover and set it out.
It works a lot like sourdough starter! :)
After a while, you need less to activate each new batch of milk.
(like 1/4 cup). Yes, the curds you have after cooking & rinsing
are cottage cheese, or "farmers cheese". You'll get more curds
(and lose less) if you line the colander with muslin before draining.
Good luck! I think it's fun! My kids love to watch me make it.

-Greenhaven Gardens
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  11:28:58 AM  Show Profile
Sherry the monitor I am using is a fisher price model.Its probably 15 years old. Some days the static can be quite annoying so I turn it down and other times its crystal clear. My barn is not to far from the house. If it were another 50 feet or so further I don't think it would work. Childs monitors aren't made for great range and I think the dampness doesn't help either. I am thinking about looking into a barn monitor maybe before the next kidding season. They are pricier but maybe the reception would be better. I am amased this monitor has lasted as long as it has being its a childs monitor.
I will be milking 3 just in the mornings starting tomorrow. A lady will be picking up her 2 bucks today. Each mom will still have a doe on them. So hopefully I will get some milk and just leave the babies on them so I will only have to milk once a day and everyone will be happy that way.

Take care
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  12:53:44 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, I got your package today. It's just full of plants! The horse radish was still real wet but the strawberries were a little dry and so were the little bulbs. But they had new growth on them. It's so wet here right now so I just went out and stuck them in the ground in temporary spots til it dries out enough to put them where I want them to be. So now tell me what kind of strawberries they are and when they bear. Also what are the bulbs? They look a little like day lillies to me and I was wanting more of those for my little corner garden.

Also the soap looks great. I will put them in the shower to start using tonight. I know I am not supposed to thank you for plants but I will say I appreciate them very much and they will be well cared for here.

How's the cow today? I guess youe are busy with her today. I hope you can let us know what you find out soon.

Angie, all my goats seem to have more milk on their left sides or else my leaft hand is not as strong. I wish I had one of those Udderly milker things. I think that would be nice to have. My hands hurt more after milking Sadie. She seems to just keep making milk the more I milk her. I am pooped after her. Thank goodness she's last to milk.

Elizabeth, I hope this works. It's not even been 24 hours yet. So the first time might take a lot longer to set up. It sounds pretty simple so far. I will have to remember what page this is on so I can come back here to look.

Linda, sounds like your back in the milk again. I finally did separate the boys last Friday and they have been good do far. The girls are ok with it too. They were noisy for a day or two but now they are back to normal. I hope to go to OAD soon. They aren't eating as much right now because of all the rain. If it would stop long enough I'll put them in the pasture with the heifers for awhile.

It's so wet here right now. After it being dry it's weird walking on water again. Hope ya'll have a great Tuesday!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  3:21:36 PM  Show Profile
hey kris, there is no horse radish in there. that is lambs ear. it is a herb. sun part after noon shade. will spread. stays ever green. the strawberries are june bearing. then a few through the summer. they make a lot of runners. if you want big berries. cut the runners off. the bulbs are a day lily yellow orange. of one of the old farms here. gets big spreads nice.think it is not ok for cows and goats. the felt soap bars are fun. let me know what you think. papa loves his. they do get soft eventually.
I tried a hand milker once it was harder then by hand for my thumbs.
So buttercup is not real good today. very little cudding going on. so vet is coming in am to draw blood. check kidney function and cbc for bacteria count also. so have to wait and see. thanks so much for asking. happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  4:59:52 PM  Show Profile
That is so sad. I would not know what to do if my girlss got sick. Well, when I had them both on the rye grass first thing this spring and they got the runny poop, I just freaked out about that. But they are both over that. I hope I learned my lesson on that. But a sickness like this has to be so hard to deal with. I am so sorry for her and for you. I hope things are better when the vet sees her tomorrow. Keep us posted please.

So the long plants in the baggie are lamb's ear? It doen not look like the lamb's ear I have here. It's soft and velvety and a grayish green color. I just thought you were sending horse radish and I had never seen that before so just assumed that's what it was. So when it dries up I will put it in pots in the herb garden. I'll have to read up on it now. And I love day lillies so much. My mom got me 3 for my birthday. I told her to tell everyone I want flowers and a garden bench. So these will be a nice addition.

Those darn bucks are getting under the fence and into the big garden now. Well, there were 2 of them out there. So I took a bunch of old electric fence posts and sunk them down to push the bottom closer to the ground. I think I got that fixed. I am going to take The black buck over to my friends tomorrow. I am tired of that big boy.He seems to be the ring leader.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  5:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Good luck Kris!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  7:13:02 PM  Show Profile
ok now i am confused too. lambs ear is soft and wooly and gray. so i am thinking it could be the vine ground cover. is it green and has other plants growing off runners? if so it is vinca major. ever green. blooms now here. blue purple trumpet shape. maybe that is what it is. how funny i forgot. still plan on sending horse radish. gotta get some dug yet.
Y es its hard since she is a pet.she would be sorley missed. the tube ones are a day lily.
May be you will have to eat one of them bucks. i pick up my pigs on friday now. i bought 25 fryer chicks too. happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  07:31:58 AM  Show Profile
ok ladies... I kept the buck kids from mom all lastnight. Then milked her this morning. The two boys are 6 almost 7 weks old. I was able to milk a little over two cups from Tango[MOM]. Does this sound right, or should I have milked her longer?
I plan on milking her twice a day for a while then getting it down to once a day later. I will be letting the boys nurse on Tango once in the middle of the day, supervised. They are really getting bucky!
How does this all sound?

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  10:05:23 AM  Show Profile
Angie, with ND I would think that's pretty good. Are you milking her all the way out? It's ok to do that. The kids will have enough. And the kids should be weaned at 6-9 weeks old. All mine are about 10 weeks and I finally got them separted last week for good. I was being lazy. But now I am milking TAD. My Nubian will give about 1/2-3/4 of a gallon for the day. The Lamanchas about a gaooln each a day. So for a ND you will probably get a good 1/2 gallon a day? Maybe a little more. I hope someone with minis will tell you more about this.

I put another ad on Craig;s list last night and had 2 responses already! A guy just up on the mountain wants to see the Nubians and a lady wants all the bucks. So whoever gets here first can have them. I hope the lady wants the does too. She said she lives in Dunlad, Tn. and wants to increase her herd. So wish me luck ya'll. I need it.

Elizabeth, my clabbered milk looks really clabbered this morning. I just went ahead and whisked it all together. Now do I refridgerate it?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  1:24:57 PM  Show Profile
I am hoping the best for you, Kris, but you sound like it is going good. I hope the selling of your animals goes smoothly.

Nibs has settled down a bit either that or we have trained her a bit to be SOMEWHAT quieter. Who knows. You guys will shake your head at me but I am throwing some of her milk when I get to much. Working full time, I can't deal with it. Besides the DH starts to bug me about it piling up in the frig. I have 3 batches of cheese aging. 2 are from Nibs sweet milk so I am excited to taste it.

Having a spot of trouble at work....I so hope it is resolved well. Miss Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page