Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  8:51:54 PM  Show Profile
thanks kris, we feel ok these days. whatever happens is ok. i am a control freak so at first i was really afraid. the post here really helped me when i needed it.all the farmgirls had good advice. and i am sure the prayers helped too.so i am calmer. i went to the pasture today. i was checking on ida our cow due tomorrow. well i think we have a bit yet. she is dilated and getting loose in the hips. not totally slab sided yet. teats are prominent but bag is not filling yet. she looks uncomfortable for sure. het tail head has risen a lot. so really now its anyones call. will be her second calf. our cow here at the house has a ways to go yet. she is hurting for sure. but no real action yet. waiting is hard. i want to see whats in there.
on a different note. we have hippo. she is belted dexter cross. she is a hippo close to the ground. lol well the kids said NO we NEVER see her first calf dinner nursing. now mind you she has a 6 week white park heifer calf now. dinner is 1 and 1/2 years old. i am moving cows and the goaties up the pasture. looking to see how they are all doing. i stop to say howdy to hippo. she gives my hand a big lick. freckles her heifer calf comes up and starts nursing. DINNER comes up between hippos back legs and latches on a back teat. she has no cuts or sores from him nursing BUT really he has to almost lay down to nurse. so i will have to pull him out of there. she has plenty of milk but really. kinda grown up for that. lol happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  07:36:31 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I am officially going to start milking full time now. I have separated the boys from the mommas this morning. Darn, those kids are big and heavy! Had to carry them about 100 yards. So Sandy is now going balistic. Every time I walk out the door she starts in. And she's LOUD! The others just don't care at all. And the kids are all fine right now. I hope the milk starts to taste better when the bucks aren't around anymore. It should. It did last year when I took all the bucks away. So wish me luck. I will need it. I would like to find a newborn calf and bottle feed it with the goat milk. And still thinking about some pigs too. So the milk will be used for sure one way or another.

Also was wondering about goat milk when they eat pecan leaves. I had to trim my pecan tree this morning. It hangs way over too far into the garden and it needed more sun and I hardly get any pecans anyway. SO I threw some of the branches to the does. They really didn't eat too much of it. I hope it doesn't make them sick.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  07:56:22 AM  Show Profile
well i am happy for you kris. glad for me i am not milking today. kind a sick today. any hoot its fun rewarding and darn hard work.now i know you know this better than me. with your hubby gone so much you take on a lot. i wish i felt safe enough to milk maddie. i think it would be a dangerous rodeo. she still has not bagged up. are you going to do goat milk soap again. i really am enjoying the soap you sent. i have not sent yours or your plants yet. sorry. they are dug wrapped and i need to feel better and get to p.o. i would say my favorite soap is the brown one so far. it sure lathers up. i hope those kids stay in for you. have you sold more yet? happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  08:43:23 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I'm so sorry your not feeling good. Is it maybe all the bad weather you're having there? I hope you feel better soon. I was thinking of getting a Jersey cow before I got the goats. I had the money. But I kept thinking of all the work compared to goats. So I have goats now. I will try to milk either Mazie or Roxie. I'm taking Mazie in June up the road to breed her to a friends Black Angul bull. Then next year I'll breed Roxie. She's 9 months old now. I was thinking she was just 8 months. And they are both fat and sassy girls. My goodness, the flies are all over those 2. I have to spray them every day. I hate that. But they are all over their poor faces. I have am organic spray that I use.

I guess you probably shouldn't milk a cow there by yourself. Especially if she has not been milked before. Too dangerous. I thought about that too. I would hate to get kicked in the head and just die right there.

I am not in any hurry for the soap so just get better. I need to make some more and try to take all I have already to the farmer's market. There was one lady that had soaps and lotions there but they were the melt and pour soaps. So I at least could try it and see.

No, I have not sold any goats yet. I am putting a sign out today. I had one call from my ad in the market bulletin but she wanted a registered buck. Darn! I guess if I don't sell these guys they'll just be dinner soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  1:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Kris, how can you eat them?!?!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  05:02:25 AM  Show Profile
Channah, it's not that hard. Especially when they become more than annoying little pests. All they did yesterday was call for their mommas. Ans the mommas called right back. This morning the does are fine. They went back into the goat pen and are happily eating away paying no attention to their kids at all. The kids are hugging the fence though and still calling. That will eventually stop soon. But I hate this part. It's so sad but has to be done sooner or later. And might as well be sooner.

Sadie and Abby's milk is AWFUL so far. Sadie's was pretty good then she's started jumping over the fence intot he field next door. But Abby doesn't. I hope since her buck kid is not on her anymore it will get better soon. So now it all goes to the critters. They like it.

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  07:18:14 AM  Show Profile
channah, we 2 kinds of animals on our farm. those that work for us and or we eat them. then there are the ones we use as pets and mothers. i choose to control what i eat and how it was raised. so i need to be able to kill what i eat. for some they choose to not kill and be vegetarian.
so i want to share a short story. this is how i was taught. when i was around 10 years old. my dad came to me and said. sherry you eat meat everyday. you see me gather it. you know what it takes to bring the food home. now you need to know the sacrifice the animal makes. i was to go hunting with the men. in the 50s woman made camp. men hunted. so while we were leaving camp all i heard was DO NOT SHOOT IT IN A CANYON. well i got so excited i shot my first buck in a canyon. he left me there. i cut its throat and had to try to get it out. BIG LESSON. the men came and saved me hours later. i then had to dress it out. we hauled it home. cooled it, cut it up, wrapped it. gave the dogs the bones i have deep respect for life. i am very good to all my livestock. i do my own killing mostly. we do all our cutting up that i can. the animals have a quality of life here that is good. then i eat them. or i gather their eggs. or i milk them. it all comes around. happy days sherrye just my way we are all different and that is good

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  08:51:32 AM  Show Profile
Channah - those a good words from Sherry and Kris..... We, too, eat what we grow except the horses.

its part of life, has been and with any common sense will continue to be part - good story, Sherry!
what a lesson!!

take care, Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  09:45:34 AM  Show Profile
Sherry, I totally agree with you. And Kris too. Mine also have a good happy life here. I have only those anilmals that will produce something. Meat, milk, eggs. That's why I don't have a horse anymore. I did have a horse but she cost too much and I didn't have enough room and we couldn't eat her. So she had to go. I am ok with raising an animal for meat. I love them and talk to them and do all I can for them. But that's what they are here for. I think the hardest ano I had to part with was Cowboy. I had him from just a few hours old and bottle fed him. He was a great cow. But I knew when I got him that's where he would end up. In the freezer. I really do appreciate what these animals do for us.

I just have to confess to ya'll. I caved. I cound not take the noise anymore every time I stepped out the door. I took the does up front to the kids and there is no noise anymore. I am so mad at myself. But it sure is quiet now! When I sell the kids it'll be so much easier. The kids won't be here to call to the does. I wish my friend would come get her buck soon. He's the oldest and the loudest and biggest baby.

Sherry, good for you for being able to butcher your own. And for shooting a deer. That is something I don't think I could do. If I keep a few of these bucks to butcher, I will not be able to watch that part. I can skin them and gut them and cut and all that but not kill them. I can a chicken or turkey though. SO much different.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  10:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I was just wondering. lol I love my animals so much that I would rather eat grass for the rest of my life than eat them. Even my 2 bucks I could never eat. But hey, thats me. I am a vegetarian so I don't eat meat.
But if you ladies can do it go ahead. I won't stand in anyones way. I'm not a farm girl in that sense. lol I could never kill anything I raised.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Edited by - maggie14 on May 24 2010 10:30:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  12:54:22 PM  Show Profile
You guys....it has turned very hot here quite suddenly. its in the 90's, with the heat index. At noon I put the girls (goats)in the barn - there is a breeze through there and it is a bit cooler. But Nibs milk was done about 1/2 a quart - is that normal - is there something I should be doing different - they had plenty of water... thanks, Kris : )

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  5:18:36 PM  Show Profile
My Kids are getting sooo big! THe two bucks are going to keep their horns. We got them at two weeks and we were not readyto dehorn. So they will retain their horns. I am not swayed either way to leave or dehorn. But do feel if you can handle it, leave them.
The girls are great!So tame, and loving.
I have questions,I want to milk the boys' mom Tango. She is very wigly, and I can milk the one side, but have difficulties on the other side. Should I limit the boys' access to mom? They are now 4 almost 5 weeks. And how often should I milk? Do you have to milk twice a day? Do you have to milk in the am? Are these stupid guestions?
Any help is appreciated!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  5:19:45 PM  Show Profile
hi kris, well if they were my goaties i would supplement. i give dry molasses with seaweed and a crushed vit. b tab. i feed it off my hands. they love it. it just gives them a boost. but shade and fresh water and a breeze are so very good too. maddie eats it off my hand like candy. she is just starting to bag up a little. so she needs the minerals and sugar.plus she is in training. hope this helps sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  6:44:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sherry! I have added in the kelp and that cream colored earth - I don't know how to spell it. I added sunflower seed (black)too. with oats and a goat feed. they are getting mountain salt. they have a crumbly molasses in the goat feed but they don't seem to like it. they are getting alfalfa hay too. What do you think? Kris : )

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  6:53:55 PM  Show Profile
It was so hot here today too. In the low 90's. Too hot especially working outside. I am lucky there is shade for all the animals. And nice cold well water.

Kris, how long have you been milking her now? And the kid is still on her too? I feed mine 16% all grain. ABout a small coffee can right now. And with the kids on milking OAD I get about 2 gallons from all 4 does. You need a high protien feed to get good milk production. You can also mix in calf manna and alfalfa pellets. Mine do not like pellets so I don't waste the money on them. And the heat does affect production also. Plus if she is in heat. So try a high % feed.

Angis, my oldest kid had horns too big to dehorn him so he is a horny goat. 2 of the others have lots of scurs and I wish we had not done tham at all. The other 3 look pretty good so far. I have had the worst luck the last few years with the horns coming back. Have you tried putting the kids up at night and milking in the morning? Why do you have dificulties with the one side? Is it larger than the other? Are the kids not nursing that side? I am only milking right now when I need the milk. I prefer milking in the morning. But when the kids are gone it will be TAD til I go down to OAD and that will be mornings. But that's me becasue then I have the rest of the day and I don't have to rush home to milk. So it works good for me in the mornings. And no question is stupid. We are all learning as we go. I still ask lots of questions.

My kids are 9-10 weeks old now and still with their moms. It is working out good this way right now for me. I just really wish I could get the boys sold and out of here.

And this is just what I do. Everyone has good advice.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  8:15:31 PM  Show Profile
hi kris and kris and all, i agree with kris. i was just referring to the heat concern for the goaties. it sounds to me they are very well cared for. when i am milking i also use at least 16 percent protein. what kris said happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  03:54:01 AM  Show Profile
we wondered if she might be in heat...she isn't showing it much if she is. the goat feed is 16% protein that I am feeding......they really don't care for it though. Thanks Kris 1. I appreciate it!

Kris 2

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  05:17:35 AM  Show Profile
Isn't that funny how every goat is so different? My goats only like certain hay from my friend's field. They are very picky about hay. And they don't like pellets. They will pick through the grain and leave every single on. I don't know how they do it. And every goat has a different flavor of milk too. And everyone does things different with their goats. It's just really neat how it all works out. And yet they are all healthy happy critters. And also we are all in so many different areas of the country. So lots of climate differences too. We are very hot and humid here in the south most of the spring and summer. And most of the time not so cold in winter. But the last few have been brutally cold.

I hope her milk goes back up for you, Kris. That is frustrating when that happens.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  04:56:22 AM  Show Profile
Ok, the girls are back out in the back again. I noticed this morning that Abby's buckaroo was a little horny. He was all over Abby. So I took her out and he was all over the others and the other bucks were all over each other. So it's time to really do this and separte them for good. I don't want any more kids for a long time!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  06:31:36 AM  Show Profile
sometimes it is trying getting everyone firhured out. i hear you about the boys. lisa and i just got our bull moved. he is still young but can get the job done. we were ready for a big job yesterday moving him. lisa had trained him for a few weeks when we bought him. WELL she is a cow whisperer for sure. we walked the herd up to the gate. opened the trailor and said come on mr. bully. HE DID.. he jump in the trailer and ate his treat. so took him out and drop him off for a loan. then came here and trimmed the rescue goat girls feet. again it took lisas strong hands. marilynn had not been done for way too long. she was finished and we took her and her adult kid out to pasture. whew oh and 4 turkeys went to pasture. soooo glad that is done.

STILL ne calves. they are taking their sweet time. ida is a week and a dat late. must be a boy. today i am cleaning outside. some one coming to see how we live. they have 320 acres. they mat rent some to us for us and my jersey girls. hoping i can get more done this am. i worked alone till 8:30 last night putting stuff away. want to get the patio clean this morning. if i lived closer kris i would take the boys and cut them and raise for food if i lived closer to you. hoping all have an awesome day. happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  2:27:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Whew, I got the collars on the three baby goats this afternoon! My little doeling wasn't too bad but I had to sneak up on the boys while they were nursing! LOL!! I use the plastic chain collars and the goats all look so festive in their bright collars!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  4:09:31 PM  Show Profile
they are so cute with their collars. i put one on ginger with a bell. i want to find her when i dont know where she is. she is so quiet. i still need one for betty. she is a boer goat. she is very big and beefy. happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  5:04:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness ya'll. I just read an article on gardening for goats. In it was a little piece about rhubarb leaves being pretty deadly to gaots. The stalk is ok but not the leaves. I had bought a bunch last week and gave the tops and bottoms to the goats and they loved them. There were a few leaves on them but apparently not enough to kill them or make them sick. They are all alive and kicking. So please beware of rhubarb leaves.

I have milked 3 times in a row so far. I am tired! I am only using Sandy and Faith's milk right now. The other animals are getting Sadie and Abby's. It's just too much milk. I made mozarella (?) and a little tiny bit of ricotta today. Probably about 1/2 a cup from a gallon and a quart and a half of milk. That's alot of waste if ya ask me for just a little ball of moz. and half a cup of ricotta.

It's HOT here. And flies are all over the place. Why did God make flies? I see no reason for their existance at all.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  5:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh Kris, I thought you already new that. :( They are very deadly to any kind of animal. I am glad your goats are still alive.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  6:56:06 PM  Show Profile
so glad your goats are ok. it is oxalic acid in the leaves that make them sick i think. any way QUESTION FEED can i give the goats and cows fresh corn cobs? do i need to cut it up? i fed ginger a corn on the cob raw. i held it for her and she chewed the kernals off. she loved the husks. but can she and the other rumens eat cobs. she was loving it. she was like an old gal with no teeth. she got every kernal off. i saved the cobs if they can have them. how many is too much? thanks girls happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page