Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  08:44:15 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
so sorry to hear that you ladies are having bad weather. It is beautiful here! My goats are out soaking up the sun. lol
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  09:07:20 AM  Show Profile
What kind of cheese will you be making, Kris? I need to start making more too. I want some mozarella. And ricotta. Then I'll make lasagna. And the rhubarb pie sounds good. I found a recipe for rhubarb bread on Chickens in the Road blog. Now I just need to find some rhubarb to make it.

I am glad you are having nice weather, Channah. It's going to be nearly 90 today. And I have to go get a few truckloads of hay. Yeah! What fun. Ya'll think of me this afternoon sweating and hot and nasty.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  10:04:33 AM  Show Profile
I would love to be sweating right now but instead shivering in the rain.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Go to Top of Page

littlebrookfarmgirl
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Sandy
Maine
1 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  11:31:09 AM  Show Profile
I'm new to the farmgirl connection & was wondering if any of you have dairy sheep. We have a small flock (17 ewes) of east friesian dairy sheep. Until this year, we sold all of our milk to a local cheesemaker. Unfortunately, the bad economy has take its toll on her business. Now, we're trying to decide whether or not to keep them. I haven't had time to read through much of the blog yet, but I am looking forward to it!

Sandy
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  11:50:28 AM  Show Profile
Sandy, I am sorry to hear that the local cheese maker has not been buying the milk. Its always sad when things change like that. I have heard about milk sheep but don't know anything about it personally. When I had sheep, I did have to decide to keep them or sell. We love lamb meat so I hated doing it but finally did make the decision to sell them. I had 6 ewes that last year. Sold most of the lambs - they were those sheep who have 4-6 lambs at one time. (don't remember how to spell the name)
I am making Cheddar cheese today. I am milking it with Nibs sweet milk so I am looking forward to tasting it -- in four weeks. The pie was very good - I got the needed time mixing the butter and flour so the crust was flaky. Took 1/4 of the sugar out and added about 2 cups more rhubarb. The farrier loved it. : ) A warm front has moved in...we may get more rain but it is milder outside.
kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  1:25:32 PM  Show Profile
wow you girls have been busy bees. kris are you home and dried off yet? you all have so many babies. i am still waiting waiting waiting. the cow in the pasture ida is due the 18th. i thought she would calve early. see hoe much i know. lol she is dialated. i need to go see her. she is ay our sons place.its 70 here today. such a fine day out there. i have to get irrigation on today. i miss happy baby goats. mine are not due till fall. just cows now.i miss milk and cheese. sandy sorry to hear about the cheese maker too. you would think folks with home made stuff would do well now. its a hard market.sorry you all are wet too. well i gotta dig plants now for farmgirls. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  3:40:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sandy and welcome. Sorry the economy has thrown a wrench in your milk sales. Maybe things will turn around and you won't have to make that decision.

I finally forked out the entire metal barn today. It was hot and muggy and I am not one for hot weather. I get heat sick very easy. I can work like a horse when its cool. I should live in Ireland or up north. Ohio is to hot and muggy in the summer. I still have one more smaller barn to clean and then the buck barn. After that will work on the chicken house. By then my grass will be knee deep. I do feel better getting the bigger barn done today. Will sleep good tonight for sure.

Hey Kris I know about the hair chewing. One of my babies was fooling with my hair while trimming its mothers feet and when I turned to make her get down she had a nice swatch hanging from her mouth. She chewed it off completely!!! The hairdresser today that was cutting my hair wanted to know if I had been cutting my own hair.....lol. Nope I told her its compliments of my goat kids and they didn't charge me a thing.

Lisa will probably see you at the festival. I plan on going if nothing crazy pops up here. I plan on eating some of that grilled asparagus(sp). Well gotta go. I tried a new recipe from the Pioneer Womans website for her meatballs. They smell so good cooking in the oven. I am going all out and having mashed potatoes with them. I am absolutely starving. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  4:20:14 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the forum, Sandy. I don't have sheep anymore. There was a lady in Chickamauga that had some shhep that were dual purpose and I cannot think of the name right now. I will later. I was going to get one but they were $500. So no, I don't think so. I hope you can figure out what to do with all the milk. How much does one sheep give each time?

I am back from getting hay. 80 bales this time. My friend lets me stack it in her nice big old barn. My 2 DD's helped me. Plus several other people. I am pooped. I am so glad this is only a few times a year. I think I will get about 40 more bales. Last year I only got 120 but they were eating it all spring and summer. I don't know why I did that. So I ran out in Feb. and had to get about 20 more bales. And they didn't like it. I still have 4 bales in the milk room. I hope I can sell all but 2 of the does. Then I'll get round bales for the cows. And the guy up the road delivers it for me.

All the goats are up front now. The grass is almost as tall as them. I can't see the kids. That will last a few weeks I hope with the 10 of them.

Kris, your cheese sounds good. I haven't attempted cheddar yet. I am still into the easy cheeses now. I have made lika a farmhouse cheddar but it was easy. And it aged for 3 months.

Sherrye, I thought you were milking a few does. Did you dry them up? And a few cows too.

Linda, doesn't that feel good when you get something marked off the list? But then there are 100 more things so really, it's an ongoing thing. I hope ya'll have fun at the festival. I want to hear about it when you get back.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  5:10:36 PM  Show Profile
hey there kris. i am digging plants tomorrow afternoon. i am sending some your way too. and the shpg for kombucha. i dried the girls since the cows calve in a few months. i also dried ginger up too. so NO may i say it again NO MILK HERE. i wish. i have to wait till aug for isabella the 3 teat cow rescue. i bet the cheese is sooooo good. happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  7:00:55 PM  Show Profile
Are you talking to me now, Sherrye? I am confused now that there are 2 of us Kris' here. I will have to go back to Kristin. And it was Isabella I was thinking you were still milking. Aug. seems so far away. How's your Kambucha so far? I am really enjoying my kefir. I have some just about every day with my fresh strawberries and a little tiny bit of maple syrup in a smoothie. It's so good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  7:11:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I almost forgot another amazing thing that happened today. I had all the goats up front. I had to go get my hubby this evening. It was almost dark when I left. The goats were all in the pasture when I left. When we got home it was dark and I didn't see or hear any goats. They usually start up a racket when they see me. But there was nothing. I noticed where my DD had hit the fence and we tried to repair it with a section of picket fence that it was moved forward. So I knew right then they had all gotten out. And I had a bad feeling. All the plants I had been planting in the yard. I just knew they had eaten every single thing. And the 2 grape vines I still haven't planted on the table by the garage. And the little fig tree I just planted today. And the clematis. And 2 little maple trees. All this is on the to the back pasture. I had left that gate open for some reason. And all the goats were back there laying down. It had to have been dark on the way back there because NOTHING was touched! Nothing! All my plants are still here. Even the grape vines that it took Abby about 2 seconds to strip every leaf off of once. And they were all in the back. I was very lucky this time. I have the worst fear they will get out in the yard and just eat every thing I have planted. So this time I am safe. I need to be more careful from now on. I did have a little lock on the gate though.

So has anyone ever had something like this happen? Goats get out and tear up the yard?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  9:15:05 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Wow Kristin! You are one lucky gal let me tell you! My goats didn't get out but we had some wild sheep that game through and ate all of our garden. Mom had worked so hard and spent so much time in it but these sheep came in the night and by morning they had eaten everything edible. :( Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  07:06:50 AM  Show Profile
I got an email from my ad on Craig's list! She lives in Rome, not too far. She said she could come Thurs. or Fri. I hope she can get them both. That would be great. And maybe she'll take Sadie's buck too. She makes cheese so Sadie would be great for her. Ya'll wish me lick. I need to sell these goats. I jsut want 2. That's all I need. But it's going to be hard to let these does go. Faith not really so much. But Sadie will be tough. Because she's an escape artist and I'll be worried she'll get out and get lost or something. Anyway, I hope this will be a good situation for her.

I have the does all up front again. Kids are out back. I fixed the place where they got out the other night. I hope, anyway! Ya never know about these goats. I will start milking every day now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  07:19:38 AM  Show Profile
oh i hope it goes well for you kris, i know how hard it is to move them on. those fences and goats whew is all i can say. i am going to check my pasture cows today. i have a calf due in 2 days. she has calved before so feeling she will be fine.i think i will only keep ginger here with my milk cow. i will send the other girls to pasture with the boers.i think the buck is done. happy days sherrye keep us posted on sadie

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  2:23:30 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I am so sorry to hear that you are selling some of your goats Kris. Hope all goes well for you!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  3:11:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sherrye. This lady is really close to me and she makes cheese. She sounds like a responsible goat owner. I hope she calls me. The reason I am selling 2 is because I don't need all the milk and I have only one customer that just gets half a gallon a week. And the grands are only here every other weekend and not here all the time now. And Kansas is not drinking alot. So I just want to keep 2. That's plenty. Plus the fridge in the milk room quit working so I don't have room to put large gallons of milk. So that's why I am selling some. And these 2 so far since I have had them have always had bucks. Anyway, it's getting to be alot of work. And I would like to be able to go camping this summer and fall. My parents bought a big camper to stay in when they come here and now they just bought a house here. So they gave us the camper. And I would love to use it. So 2 goats would be easier to get someone to come milk rather than 4 or more. And just milking these 4 once a day now I am getting 2 gallons a day. So I am only milking when we need it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  3:21:22 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I see your point Kris. I wish you luck!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  7:41:48 PM  Show Profile
i sure understand the time. papa says its 365 days a year every day. i know i dont want what i do to get so hard its not fun anymore. so 2 milk cows and 1 milk goat fresh is enough for me. that will not happen till aug. by then we will know where we will live, such is life. hows the garden? happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  05:09:19 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, that's just it right there. I don't want that either. I want to enjoy what I do and when it becomes "work" then it's not fun anymore. And when I have to fight my way through 10 goats to do anything around here, it's not fun. And right now I feel like selling every one of these stinkin' chickens too. I have done alot of work lately on flower beds and herb gardens and a border in the front of the house and for what? The chickens have scratched up just about everything I have done. I put impatienns around a maple tree and in the front of the little house and every day I have to go replant them. I have netting over them now. Ugly. And the mulch in the border is scratched up off the plastic. It looks awful. And the little bird bath flower bed is covered in netting too. I had to put rocks all in the herb garden to keep them from scrathing up all the herbs. And I planted a little fig tree and put a little branch fence around it and the momma hen and her 2 chicks fit just right in there. They have scratched it up a few times. Now I have sticks all around it. And rocks around all the other things to keep mulch in. ANd it's not just chickens. It's the cats and dogs too! I can't win for losing here. I have spent too much time and money the past few weeks trying to make it look pretty around here finally and I get this. So yaeh, when it gets to be a job then something needs to be done.

Channah, how are all your kids these days? I don't know what's going on anymore. And Sherrye, how's all the moving going so far?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  06:15:03 AM  Show Profile
hey there kris, we are good here. not sure we will move now. i have to talk to wells again. papa will have 2 years of work on a jail going in. so now we have the income. i may go ahead and try to modify a really bad loan we have. if they will make it good we will stay. if not we are gone. so should i stay or should i go now? lol i feel like a boomarang. today i have a friend coming to help divide plants. i tried by myself and i feel like i am moving mountains alone. so i recruited help. so strawberries daylillies and lambs ear are getting dug today. i love help. still no calves here waiting waiting.
oh kris dont give up on the yard yet. when the plants are bigger they can survive more of the attacks. i know its discouraging. FIGHT BACK GIRL. get those chickens in. i know how ya feel though. i am so glad they never ate your azaleas. where i lived here on the ocean as a kid. rhodies, azaleas roses lilacs all grew wild. so beautiful. i am taking out my rhodies etc. i am afraid a goat will get to them and die. i am not careful enough. when i am sick i am famous for leaving gates open.waiting for monas cow and my 2 to calve. hope you have an awesome day. happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  08:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kris!! Everyone is doing great here. It is a little diffrent having 6 goats instead of 3 but thats fine with me. lol I am enjoying them so much and holding them as much as I can because there already getting bigger and soon I know I won't be able to hold them. :) Yesterday I found a clean place to sit in the grass and Eli and Elinor came over and layed down in my lap and fell asleep. :) It was so cute! Gosh, I love my goats so much. When ever I am down there all my goats follow me. :) It's so funny to watch. It's like I'm the leader and then you see 6 goats all in a row following me. lol I feel so blessed. :) God has given me such a wonderful gift. I thank him every day for them.
And yes I am still very silly, and I visit Faiths grave everyday and say a little prayer for her. Do you think thats nuts?!? Maybe I am being weird, but I don't want to forget her and I don't think I ever will. I do still blame myself and I know thats wrong but its really hard when it was you first year kidding and you want to do everything right and then when one dies you wonder where you went wrong.
Anyway, lol They are all doing fine.
Hugs!!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  09:49:40 AM  Show Profile
channah that is so great you are having all that fun. i think God knows your heart and loves you more for your kind loving nature. my mama was so sweet that way. i hope i am following her lead. you seem to me from your posts to be a fine farmgirl. so happy for you happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  2:40:56 PM  Show Profile
Kristin I did go to the asparagus festival and watched Lisa(nubiedane)play in the Libery band and enjoyed the break from working my bottom off. Seen another farmgirl their also. Febuaryviolet and her daughter Violet she is such a cutie. It was a nice sunny day and everyone seemed to be enjoying the festival. After that went home and mowed for 2 hours.

I sold 2 buck kids over the weekend. They went to their new homes. I can tell they are really good homes. They were so excited and had everything ready ahead of time.

April the doe that had trips this year is down to just her little spotted doe Dottie which I am keeping. This morning I went out to feed and noticed she was bagged up for the first time in 11 weeks. I was so excited and ran back to the house to get the udder washing bowl and a milk pail. I milk about 7 cups from her and left some for her little doe Dottie. I finally have fresh goat milk....I am so elated !!! In about 2 more weeks will sell 2 more boys and will have 2 more does to milk. That should give me more than enough milk plus some extra for a friend. I will be dreaming of chevre cheese and hope to be able to make some this week.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  3:05:27 PM  Show Profile
Good for you, Linda! That's good that they are going to good homes. I worry about mine sometimes. But most have gone to good homes so far. I am glad you had a good time at the festival. Good to meet the farmgirls. I bet that little cutie Violet is just adorable.

I am putting my does up in the morning til about 4 or 5. Started that yesterday. Abby's milk is not very good now so I give hers to the chickens and dogs and cats. Her buck is the oldest and that could have something to do with it. He should be going to his new home soon too. I noticed tonight when I was milking her that her very long beard was gone! Just gone. I bet I know how. Her kid is the worst one about nibbling my hair and I bet he's nibbled hers all off. I had to look twice at her to figure out what was missing, it was so weird. Silly goats.

Channah, so glad yours are all doing well. I bet they are growing like weeds already.

Sherrye, I hope you decide what ya'll need to do. This would be driving me crazy, all the not knowing. But with your hubby getting this good job ya'll should be ok. I hope you just have a peace and know the right way to go.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  3:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks so much Sherry and Kristin!
Glad all your animals are doing good.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page