Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  3:20:06 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I hope you get those worms under control. Sounds like me last year. It was a mess. This year I think I have it taken care of. I hope.

I had the does in the other pasture so I could milk tonight. Sandy the Nubian is so vocal. And so are her kids. They will stand at the fence all day hollering for "MA" and she hollers right back. It's so funny. So after I milked I let Sandy in first and those kids were all over her. Then a little later I was over there doing something and they were all laying down together. They love their momma so much. It's so cute. She's the best mom.

I am going to fix the fence and put the buck kids up front next week. This weekend's too busy so I'll wait. I just need to put barbed wire across the top so they won't jump over in to the garden. That's not going to be fun at all listening to them all whining and hollering for their moms. This is the worst part of having goats. The weaning.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  12:15:14 PM  Show Profile
good day girls, i have a question for you all. the 2 does i rescued a few weeks back are settling in. still need a wormer. is there one i can use for pregnant goats. had one that looked like rolled pellet. do not have bag now. darn. any ideas. next question.. i tried to do the old mama rescue goats hooves. oh my goodness. she kicked, jumped. that was in the goat stanchion.so i put her in the squeeze chute.she beat me up anyway. wow kicked. now i see why her feet are so BAD. do i need a farrier? is their a way to hobble her?she is so strong.has horns.husband could help. you think its hopeless to try.the hooves are so thick. i will need hoof nippers.kicked my wrist in the chut. tried to tie her leg. she is a maniac. do i need the vet to give her something.they have to get done.any thoughts welcome. she still has no name. i am learning who she is first. she is the matriarch.she leads even betty boop the boer doe.so the new game is finding all the different ways the buck mr. bill gets out.happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  6:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sherry! Well you know I am all for natural. I do know that Fias co farms wormer is ok for pregnant does. If you don't want natural SageGuard goat wormer is ok for pregnant does too.
About the hooves. You can hobble her the same way you do cows. I also give my goats a little grain while I do it too. Anyway, I am sure the other ladies here will help you out more.
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  6:24:46 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh, and another thing about safeguard wormer. Do not give it to does that are milking.
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  7:16:48 PM  Show Profile
Yes, make sure she has plenty of feed to keep her busy while you trim. You might need to lay her down and sit on her. I had to do that with a ewe once. Her feet were awful. The lady I got her from had never trimmed her. It took me and her hubby to do her feet. My goats are real good now. They might kick once but that's it. Just be careful. They can do some damage. And you need those hands!

I am not sure about wormers for pregnant does. Fias co farms has a great website that tells all about each wormer and how long to wait to milk and if you can give it to pregnant does. Check them out first and get some ideas. Good luck.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  9:00:29 PM  Show Profile
thanks girls, i forgot about them. i want natural. so ok going to send mr bill the buck home. not buying him. he will not stay in. pushes every fence. see all the fun is done. the girls are bred. he wants out to eat my yard. nope he goes tomorrow.lol happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  10:07:28 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
sorry to hear that Sherry.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  6:19:43 PM  Show Profile
Well my Goats are home! I have a 4yr. old Doe with two buck kids at her side [they are 2 weeks]. Then I got two little 8 almost 9 week old does. Thay are so great! I bottle fed the one little doe, she is very clingy and needy. I will wether the on boy kids. His name is casper, he is all white but does show some signs of champagne beige coming in. Then the other buck is white and fawn, his name is carmel. Their mom id Tango. Then the two little does are Twinkle [solid black with a white star on forhead], and cotton she is a very broken cham., aminly white with speckled ears and some little speckles here and there]. I love them all!
Today was a cold day, so everyone stayed in the barn.
Well just wanted to update ya all!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  06:42:22 AM  Show Profile
Angie, you goats sound so cute. What kind are they? I probably have already asked a hundred times but my brain is getting old. So please bear with me. Are you going to keep one of the bucks to breed? I need to wether all my boys now. They are all going on 8 weeks old. I have been fixing the fence out front to put them all in so I can start the weaning process. I don't like this part. All the crying kids and moms. But it has to be done and they are old enough now. I will probably keep moms with them at night and milk in the evenings. I am only milking now when we need milk which is nice because I am only milking about 2-3 times a week. Once I wean it'll be twice a day 7 days a week and I don't know if I am ready for that yet.

Sherrye, how are all your goats?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  03:38:13 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, I have Nigerian Dwarfs. One of the boys will be wethered. The other one will remain our buck. The one named Carmel will be the buck for the two young does. I will give their mom this next year off, no money for a buck for her and she was not taken great care of, so I think a year off will do her good.
I will need to be milking Tango soon and seperating the boys a little from her. Probably start with morning feedings.
They spent all day yesterday out. I love watching them. I went out and sat in their pasture twice yesterday. It was great. The girls come up and sit on my lap!
Today is all rainy and windy, so stuck in the barn they are!
Thanks again Kris, I am very excited about these guys!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  04:52:04 AM  Show Profile
Angie, that sounds like a good idea to let her have a year off to get back in shape. SOmetimes goats are not done right. They are treated like a machine. Poor things. Then people like you come along and rescue them and they have a much better life. I know she will be well taken care of from now on. And good luck with the milking.

I am so not really ready to be milking twice a day yet. But the kids are getting ready to be weaned. I am really dragging my feet here. I just don't know what to do with all the milk I will be getting every day. At least 4 gallons between the 4 does. I have got to sell 2 of them and get to a reasonable number. That will help alot. Or else find some more customers or get some pigs or a calf. And then that's just more work. So I will leave the kids on as long as the does let them. Then go from there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  04:58:28 AM  Show Profile
I really hear you, Kris. I am thankful to only be milking one. Nibs is giving one gallon a day - the volume keeps growing a bit each day. Her teats are getting bigger too so milking is becoming easier. My hands still cramp which I didn't expect cause of milking Nanny all these months. Have a good day every one. Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  07:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Hey Kris!

You don't really need to milk twice a day. I have been milking once a day for three years now. The reason I do it that way is like you say, what to do with all that milk! Even milking once a day we sometimes have too much. Anyway, the goats will adjust. They will produce to the level that is asked of them. If you milk once a day, they will produce less milk. My Alpine last year gave me a gallon a day when I first weaned the babies and then gradually went down to half a gallon a day. She was still giving that much when I quit milking her so that she could have some time off before the babies were born. Hope that helps you some.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  09:21:59 AM  Show Profile
I will have to give this some thought - milking once a day - I understand it and agree with the process, they will only make as much milk as needed. Still, will think about it. I have been supplying my mom with milk and now a fella(I don't sell it). So would have to figure out just how much I can do without. Thanks for the idea! Kris

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  12:07:30 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kris, just a thought but I would keep milking twice a day because she is a new milker and it will help to expand her udder and teats. But it is up to you!!
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  4:04:04 PM  Show Profile
Candy, I think I will go to OAD after a few more months because these girls get huge. I did do that last year after a few months and they did fine. Except they slowed down alot til I dried them up. Which is ok. But I do want the milk. I will be giving a few gallons a week to the grands up on the mountain and then I will make cheese. I love milking. And I know my does are a little confused with me doing it this way, only milking when I need it. But it's working for me. I think they are ready for the kids to go too. They are getting quite big now. And drinking them dry!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  7:03:55 PM  Show Profile
You guys are giving great advice! I love to read all this info.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  07:47:55 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
We try our best Angie. lol
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  1:10:12 PM  Show Profile
I think for now I will continue milking twice a day to make sure I develop the udder - but some day I may milk once a day. I too, love reading the information. Kris

Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  1:42:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I know what you mean about the does being ready for the kids to go! You can tell when they have had enough, especially with the little boys, they can get kind of rough on the old udder!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  4:13:45 PM  Show Profile
Well, I got the fence fixed so I hope they won't get in the garden. I will put the boys out front in the morning and keep the does out back til I milk then put them up front for the night. Yep, they are ready for them to go I'm sure.

Kris, I have missed a milking every once in a while when I am TAD milking. They don't like it but stuff happens. They get over it. I just try not to make a habit out of it once I get started full time. I think that's why I'm dragging my feet right now. I know I need to do it. And will eventually. But I kinda like this break.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  06:19:56 AM  Show Profile
Is anyone else getting the rain like we have?
The past few days we have been getting hammered. We had 5 inches in one day. My barns are at the bottom of hills as well as our house. I shouldn't say at the bottom but about half way down . The water was running through part of the barn like Niagra Falls. We have stalls built in our barn like decks so the does can be dry. But the main area and the walkways are soaked and so is all the bedding. It will take days to clean it all out. Hopefully today the rain will hold out long enough to work on the worst parts.

The kid goats think its fun to run in the mud/manure and then jump on me. By the time I was though with chores this morning I was covered in about 100 muddy manure prints. I had to take my clothes off at the basement door before I could even get into the house. I love my goats but the kids are driving me crazy. All 12 of them were ramping off me this morning.They have barn fever. Thank goodness I can let them out today.... we are getting a small break in the rain.
I guess its funny when you think about it but boy is it hard to get it out in the laundry. I guess it will all seem worth it once I start getting the milk....lol. Well off to the barn before I lose my momentum.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  06:32:21 AM  Show Profile
Hey Linda. I know what you mean about the rain and mud. I hope it stops soon and you dry out. My little chicken-goat barn that we built is right in the flood plane here. We should have waited to build it because it just gets all the water and mud when it rains.It's at the bottom of the yard. And we really don't have much hilly spots but it does get it all. We had to put plyood down so they'd have a dry place to stay. The other little barn is out back and up a little higher but has leaky roofs. Plus with all the goats peeing in there it's a little wet.

I went out last night to check on the hen under the bench in the goat barn and I have to lean over. By the time I was done 2 of the kids had my hair in a mess from chewing on it and jumping on my back. I was shoving them out of the way but it wasn't working. Then this morning I had to carry all 6 of them to the pasture up front. They are heavy. Broke a fingernail and was wearing a black shirt so hair all over me. So I think I will start milking once a day today. Keep the kids up front and put the does in at night. I will put a sign out front to try to get these guys sold.

Life on a farm! Ya gotta love it, right? I hope you have a good day anyway. And I hope the sun comes out and smiles down on you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  06:34:57 AM  Show Profile
HA HA HA Linda. I bet that one litle boy was having a field day! He is a stinker! We're getting hammered too, but thank goodness my barn is dry. Chicken coop, that's another story.
Got your message last night. I'll try to call here soon. Just been W-O-R-K-I-N like a fool.
Are you going to the Asparagus Festival Sat? Our band plays at 12.
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  08:19:46 AM  Show Profile
We have been getting the rain too. The barn are dry though - Thankful - The last place, the barn got wet. The farrier is coming today - he called and said he wasn't cause of wet horses, we kept them in last night and this morning so they would be dry. I also made a rhubarb pie .... so he is coming after all. : ) I also plan to make cheese today. Kris : )

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page