Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  07:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
They are doing so well Kris! I feel so blessed! They are very small but with Esthers rich, yellow milk I think they will do fine. :) I spend most of my day out their caring for them all. lol With milking 2 does and taking care of six goats it keeps me busy! lol But I enjoy it so much! It is such a neat story because when Esther was with her other owners they never let her be a mom because they didn't want the babies to get attached to the moms for some resone and would take the babies as soon as they were born. So Esther was never able to be a mom so I didn't know how she would do with her babies. The owners said that it was breed out of their does ( they had Esther since she was little and when I got her she was almost 5 years old) to be mothers. But come to find out Esther is a wonderful mom! She is so gentle and licks and talks to her babies all day! I just know that when I look at her that she is smiling! She is letting them nurse and everything! And she won't ever leave her babies for long! They are so cute to watch!
Anyway, I need to go and start milking!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  09:57:43 AM  Show Profile
Channah, that sounds so like Sandy. It must be the Nubian. The Lamanchs could care less if they don't see their kids. But the minute I take Sandy away from hers to milk her she goes bazerck! She's getting better now that theya re almost 5 weeks old. And the aren't so bad either. I hate to think what it will be like when I take them away for good. I'm so glad your kids get to stay with their moms. I will never take kids away again.Not that the does really care after a day or two, but it's alot of work to bottle feed when the moms can do so much better. And the kids are so much healthier and grow much faster too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  10:11:46 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Wow it sure does!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  1:08:15 PM  Show Profile
channah that sounds so sweet and fun. you are a good goat mom yourself. it is fun to hang around the barn and watch families. we have a cow hippo. she is belted dexter. she is short and wide. her first calf dinner is still with her. he is weaned. she has a new calf. a white park heifer. dinner is a good big brother and watches out for freckles the baby. that calf can run like the dickens, happy days on the farms sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  3:12:10 PM  Show Profile
When my doe had kids, they were going to the breeder. They had a healthy start with mom, because of the bag growing uneven, I decided to bring the kids to the breeder sooner than first intended. This morning was the first time I had to milk her out all the way. Oh my! What a struggle. My dad kept telling me the teats would grow if I took the kids off....well, I just put them in the barn (two does which are mother and daughter) and looked at the bag. The teats do look longer and wider. This morning it was like milking a small sweet pickle, slippery and jumping around. Milk was every where.
I hope this is progress. Kris, thank you so much for talking to me. It was good to just someone else, was there and knew what I was saying.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  3:15:50 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks so much Sherry! I love them to bits!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  3:47:50 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I have not separated the kids since the other day. If I do it again when I need more milk it will only be for about half the time. I could hardly milk Faith she was so big. She could barely walk to the milk room! I sure hope it gets easier for you. It will the more you do it. You'll be a pro before ya know it. And just think of all that good fresh milk!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  4:27:15 PM  Show Profile
wow Kristin I wasn't thinking bottle jaw. Hopefully you will be catching it in time. Sorry I didn't check back in but the inlaws are here and don't have much time to myself. Anyway hopefully they will be okay. If you have some red cell its good to help build their blood back up.Even a vitamin drench. Goodluck and let me know how they are getting along. At least you figured out what was wrong and you can get them taken care of.......thats super great!! Gotta run.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  05:34:45 AM  Show Profile
Hey Linda. I was going to give the buckling a dose of Ivermectin this morning and I can't find my record book with all my info in it. I can't remember how much to give a kid. His neck feels much better now but still has some puffyness. I am going to email you with my #. If you get a few minutes, will you call me? Thanks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  06:45:03 AM  Show Profile
My little buck is doing much better. I will give him another dose Friday. He still has some puffiness under his jaw but looks better. I really appreciate all the help. And it was so good to talk to Linda on the phone the other day.

I am so needing to sell all these guys now. I just put an ad on Craig's List and in our Ga. Market Bulletin. I also want to sell 2 of my does. I really don't need all these goats. I think 2 will be enough for us and 1 customer and to make cheese. I am making some more Chevre for a lady in a Bible study I have been going to. She's from France. I told her not to expect some great tasting cheese. But she's so excited to get it. But really, I think 2 does will be plenty. And so much less work. I really shouls sell all 3 Lamancha does and then buy 1 Nubian. That way I have the Nubian buck and I won't have to have 2 different bucks.

So if anyone lives near me and needs a really good milk doe let me know. I may even deliver her or a buck or 2!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  07:38:40 AM  Show Profile
oh kris i wish i lived closer. they could live with ginger. is your hubby home? papa just left for kf.will be home on weekends. job lasts 2 weeks. there maybe union work local coming up. fingers crossed. sunshine today. so outside for me do chores for a gal this afternoon. kris i saw you have trouble sleeping. i do when papa is gone i hate it. we now have 6 does 2 with kids. 2 kid bucks and 1 doe. then there is smoochie and daisy the pet kid does. full house sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  07:43:27 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I don't know why but sometimes I'll wake up and have to go to the bathroom then cannot go back to sleep. So I get up and do things. It doesn't happen alot but when it does I hate it. The other night Bubba woke me up barking at nothing. At 3 am. And I am never really afraid. Hubby has been driving now about 18 years so that's not the problem at all. It'll probablt get worse when he's here all the time! I need to get outside and plant my new maters and peppers and that flat of cabbage. So I'll talk to ya later! I hope ya get lots done too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  08:24:13 AM  Show Profile
Some goats owners take the babies away to prevent CAE. They don't want the babies to get it from the moms if they have it. It is spread through the milk.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  11:35:34 AM  Show Profile
I have a question about a term that was used in an article I was reading in a goat jornal. What does it mean to slug feed or not to slug feed? Thats the first time I have ever heard that term.

Also Kristin what do you feed your Nubian does as far as grain goes. I think somewhere back you might have said sunflower seeds and alfalfa......I can't remember. Also how much would you give a doe thats milking well on that kind of mixture? I have been thinking about all the gmo feeds and been wondering what other choices there are and keeping the doe in good shape. Is oats and barley also gmo or is it just the corn?

Glad your goat is doing better kristin. Sounds like he going to be just fine. Take care everyone.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  12:11:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda. I have no idea what that means. Never heard of it before,. I hope you get an answer.

I feed my does when they are in milk a 16% all grain. It's actually a horse feed. It's cracked corn, oats, barley and molassis. It also has soy meal or something soy. Which I do not like soy. But I guess I could just mix my own without corn and soy. And I do mix sunflower seeds in the 10% all grain I feed them while they are pregnant and dry. Plus hay. But now not so much hay unless it's raining. I put an ad on Craig's list for the bucks. ANd in the Ga. Market Bulletin for the bucks and a few does. So maybe I will sell them and get down to just a few does.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  3:35:45 PM  Show Profile
I need to move some goats also. I have 13 kids, 12 does and 2 bucks. My feed bill is really high. I hope to move some babies in about 3 weeks. I have to many goats. My problem is I am attached to some of the older does and retired does. I can't sell them. I would like to get back down to 15 total.
Thanks for the answer. I think I will do a search and maybe I can find out what slug feeding means.Boodluck on your adds.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  06:40:09 AM  Show Profile
Hey Linda. Lisa said she got some good pictures of Snackcake and her baby and will be posting today. I bet she has grown. I hope you have good luck with getting yours sold to good homes. I am so ready for mine to be gone. They really are some good kids and I am really becoming fond of Saide's kid. He's so lovable and sweet. I do feel a little nub on one side of his head. I hope I don't have to redo his after all he's had to endure so far. I did have to redo Faith's 2 bucklings. They had several scurs on them. And I did it myself! But Sadie's kid still has the very bowed legs. And I have given him several rounds of worm meds. He's lots better but still a little slow. Oh, and I was thinking that since I used Sadie's kid buck to breed them with last year he could have gotten to Sadie although I had her away from the others because I didn't want her to breed with her son. I don't think that happened. But I did use her mother's son. I wonder if that had something to do with the way he is.

I have got to fix some fence up front around the big garden in the next few days so I can put the kids up there. They are just about ready to be weaned. And that means I will be in full time milking mode. I need some customers or to sell 2 does. Really bad. I put all the does in the backyard awhile ago so I can milk this afternoon. I am almost out. And I will need milk for this weekend.

I hope ya'll are having happy milking times. I think all the goats have kidded but now we are waiting on Miss Mona to have her calf. Not much longer now.

Happy milking, ya'll.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  10:26:00 AM  Show Profile
Kris she did get a few pictures but it was raining outside so the lighting in the barn was not great. I am trying to hold Snackcake's baby who is now 8 weeks old but she is such a fatty.Her official name is going to be Pattycake but her nickname is Fat Pack.
Lisa got my face in the picture and I look horrible. No makeup and my hair was a mess. I had taken a nap because of not sleeping the night before due to storms and my dog wining by my bedside all night. So I look pretty wimpy in the picture but I told her to go ahead and put them on anyway.Maybe she can photoshop me out.....lol Hope it doesn't scare anyone to bad.....lol.

The baby with the bowed legs..... have you tried a little Bose shot? That may help with the bowing of his legs.

I dehorned my last 2 babies today and another lady who needed hers done.I gave them all a shot of Banamine to help them feel better. I am glad to be done for the year. I hate dehorning but a few friends of mine have had horrible things happen at their farm with horns. So far I have not had to redo any yet.......knock on wood so to speak.

I did sell one of the buck kids today. He went to his new home. The lady wanted him sooner but I wanted him to be at least 10 weeks old before he left. He was a beautiful buck. But mom still has 2 left with her. In about 2 weeks some of the babies will leave for new homes and I will finally get some milk. Can't wait to make some chevre !!!

Take care
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  10:30:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh I found out what slug feeding is. Its when you pour alot of feed to your animals at once trying to keep up with milk production or flushing. They simply stated it was bad for the rumen and said if you needed to feed lots of grain for body condition to make sure you feed hay first. Also to break it up into 3 to 4 feeding a day making sure they get hay first each time to keep the rumen bugs happy. So it was an interesting article. I just never heard the term before. Never to old to learn something new.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  8:53:23 PM  Show Profile
Linda, good for you. I am so happy when they go to a good home. I had a call today from the girl that bought one of my does last year. She said Ocho is going to kid any day now and what should she be looking for? I told her I had never seen her have kids. She always had them when I wasn't home or at night. Never had a problem as far as I could tell. She would have all the classic signs and I would put her in a stall then wait and wait. I was so happy to hear from her. She is one of her favorite goats. She bred her to a Sanaan so that should be interesting. Ocho is half lamancha and Togg. She said she'd call me when she has the kids and I can come see them. She lives right where I had to go Sunday to pick up my buck.

I guess I need to get some of that Bose. Just to have around. You just never know what will be needed from one week to the next. And you did not look scary in those pictures at all, Linda. You look just like a farmgirl should look when she's in the barn holding a big ole baby goat! WHo is just too cute BTW.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  9:32:56 PM  Show Profile
kris hows your cow doing? are you getting close yet? i am not going to milk maddie.she will calve this month. i think she is too pasture raised to settle down to milk.she has horns and like to fling her head around. i need to focus on the move anyway.i do keep bose on hand and i give within the first 24 hours. i think you can go an additional day. i did not catch up on the post so maybe someone said this already. i just jumped in.we have no selenium in our soil well actually its volcano basalt rock. so we always give it. just a thought. i had a fun goat day. they are so joyful. sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  05:25:23 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, you must be thinking of Jenny's cow Mona. She's due in a few weeks now. I am going to take my heifer Mazie down the road to her new boyfriend in June. So I have no babies due anymore til next year. I am going to attempt to milk Mazie when the time comes. I'll see how that goes.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  07:17:32 AM  Show Profile
i am confused. it is jenny. well i am glad you have goaties with milk for you to make cheese. isabella the 3 teat cow freshens in aug. so no milk here. darn.happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  08:14:33 AM  Show Profile
Kristin how did you see the pictures I don't see them posted yet? Did she send them to you by email? Wish my computer wasn't so slow and I could figure out the photo bucket. Someday maybe we will get highspeed internet available.

I am now fighting worms in the two does that had triplets this year. They have pale eye lids and I have given them ivomec and cydectin several days apart. Started them on redcell also to build their blood back up. They get an herbal tonic and herbal wormer throughout the year. They are eating well and hopefully this will get it under control.
My pasture is very lush and we have had lots of rain. Even though they have their hay they still are loading up on the pasture which is where they are picking the worms up I'm sure. We have so many deer, turkey,and rabbits here its not funny. They are in the pasture like they own the place.Don't get my wrong I love the wildlife just wish they would stay out of the goat pasture and stay on the other 40 acres........lol.
When we have company over they ask me if we are running a wildlife sactuary because of all the animals they see. We saw 2 fox kits yesterday so I am not going to be able to walk our dog Toby that way for awhile because he is a coon/shepard cross and am afraid he will kill them. They are too cute. Wish I could bring them home.
Well gotta run have to cut my grass before it gets too much longer and I have to bail it.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  08:27:21 AM  Show Profile
I see now she posted the pictures on a different thread. I thought she was going to post them here. Oh well at least I found them. Now this time I am really going out to cut the grass.....lol.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page