Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2014 :  05:02:05 AM  Show Profile
Betty that would be wonderful to have snow only last a day. Ours lasts all winter. Minus 34 this morning, and at least a couple feet of snow out there. Up to my knees. My beef cows are all doing well. I have the barn opened up so they can get in out of the wind. Not too often they choose to do that. Vacuum pump is working, I have a magnetic heater on there, cow is dropping in milk though. Weather extremes factor in with that. Been a cold winter, and hoping for a warm February, and March, and April and May!

just a girl farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2014 :  8:31:45 PM  Show Profile
Today we had sleet with rain and wind. No snow this time around. It covered everything and by this afternoon was melting. But tonight exspecting a hard freeze and back to the 70's in a couple of days. We so very seldom see snow it is fun for us. Except for maybe those who are working in it. The barn critters don't want out in it. Now the dogs are a different story. :)

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2014 :  09:49:02 AM  Show Profile
The past 2 days we have been -15 degrees at night. Its been very hard on my goats and chickens. We only made it up to 7 degrees yesterday and last night I could not keep the house as warm as I would have liked to not that I wasn't trying..... believe me I was but it just wasn't working.
My bedroom was 54 degrees this morning. It was hard to get out of bed and put my bare feed on the wood floors. I put on my wool socks pretty darn fast and then put on the layers of barn clothes. Basically I hit the ground running and wanted to get outside as soon as I could see some light and get everyone their grain and hay. My girls were shivering so bad this morning. Even with extra feed and hay they are having a rough time. I like to froze my bum off this morning literally so I can only imagine how they felt.
We are suppose to make it to 19 today and I am so glad and only 6 degrees tonight. That will feel like a heatwave for sure. Over the next few days its suppose to warm up a little bit everyday. I am so glad for the animals.

I am thankful though we do not have sloppy mudd and our pipes have not froze and so far all the goats and chickens have made it through this cold weather. I go out every 2 to 3 hours to change out water and check on food and hay. And believe it or not those very cold chickens managed to give me 4 eggs yesterday.........I thought that was amazing considering the cryogenic tempatures outside. They are amazing for sure.

Betty its amazing you all actually get some snow there. I bet that is fun since you rarely get it. Enjoy it when you can. Michele we had about 6 inches on the ground but a couple of feet would be crazy. I can't imagine trying to walk through that stuff and your milking your cow to boot. I bet that milk taste super good in the winter. I sure am missing my goat milk.

Well you all stay safe and warm and be careful the ones who are working in this snow and frigid temps.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jan 29 2014 09:53:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2014 :  2:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Betty rain is hard to deal with in the winter, and then to have it all freeze. Good luck. Linda stay warm too. All the waters have heaters here. The cows have the waterer which was a great investment. Then I have a couple of heated buckets for the sheep and a calf, and the chickens have a heater under their water. Oh the cats have a heated bed too! :) There is 3 of them and they make a kitty pile, when they are getting along. My chicken are giving about 13 eggs aday. They are new layers. they have a nice warm coop when the sun is out. their whole south side is windows. Propane cost are over 4 dollars a gallon here now. Not good. We have wood heat, but we have gone through the wood pile this year. May have to fight the snow to get more wood in, for us and my ma and dad.
Keep warm!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2014 :  4:42:10 PM  Show Profile
I can't imagine going out in -15 weather, but then if I lived there I probably would.

We have gone through the wood here. Keeping warm with the fire stove. I just don't like the dust it makes.

My floors are cold since pulling up the carpet, so I wear heavy socks.

We are getting about 11 to 12 eggs a day. The chicken tractor has a heat lamp in it and they all huddle under it warm off the ground.

There is still ice on the ground and in some water buckets this afternnon. Where it is all melted is a muddy mess. All the goaties are all fluffed up and warm. We are getting ready to dry them up till they kid. It will give us a break and some time to go do something for a change! :)

We have gone through the wood here. Keeping warm with the fire stove. I just don't like the dust it makes.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2014 :  6:24:13 PM  Show Profile
I do have a few heated buckets where we have electric. The goats,cats and pyrenese have heated buckets but the chickens do not. No electric that way so those are the ones I have to pack out every couple of hours. I ended up bringing the 2 barn cats in because the heat lamp was not enough. They may end up being indoor outdoor cats if they behave and don't do any potty sprays. They are fixed but sometimes they still do it.

We have gone through tons of wood too and the dirt and dust is bad.Daily cleanup for sure. We are going to have to cut more or we will run out. This is the most wood we have used since 1997.......that was a really bad winter with record snowfalls(32") and then we had the flood which broke 100 year old records. That same winter we had a house fire and lived in a 30ft camper on the farm while the house was repaired that was truly a challenge. That was a truly memorable year. No one was hurt in the fire and all animals were safe so that was a good thing.
Take care. I am going to bed soon. Its actually warmer in the house tonight. I am so glad.Tomorrow is suppose to be a little warmer than today....hooray!!!

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jan 29 2014 6:25:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2014 :  7:41:39 PM  Show Profile
Here is what I woke up to this morning. I thought I would never get all the barns and chicken houses shoveled.I am definately getting a workout this winter. We had about 8 inches of snow and the last snow had just melted and we had temps. that went to 50 degrees. Now we are at 15 again........crazy winter we are having.I have to say the snow was so beautiful all over the trees and it covered up the squishy mudd we had the past 2 days.
This view is from the back of the house looking toward the chicken houses.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Feb 03 2014 7:47:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2014 :  04:35:36 AM  Show Profile
Nice snow fall Linda. Yes the snow is pretty, but a lot of extra work. We have gone through the wood this year too. But the house has been warm usually running about 74. I am spoiled! Glad we don't have to buy the expensive propane. That is way over priced right now. Hope all the animals are doing well.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2014 :  2:07:06 PM  Show Profile
Oh, the snow is beautiful!I am sure you are getting workout with all the shoveling. it has been raining here. Very muddy. Temps will be freezing again the nezt couple of days. The does do not even want to be out of the barn. That is going to be a major spring cleanup job. Didn't think we would use as much wood as we have this year. Didn't have the fireplace hooked last year. So glad it is this year. Those electric heaters cost too much.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  11:14:21 AM  Show Profile
Well kidding season has begun. I had 3 does deliver in 2 days. We have 2 sets of triplets and one set of twins.Five girls and 3 boys so far. I unfortunately caught a cold from my son and was unable to sleep for 2 days due to kidding so got kinda run down. I am bottling one set of the trips due to extreme edema in one doe so that has kept me hopping. But deliveries went pretty good and everyone seems healthy and happy.So I feel super blessed in healthy moms and kids. I get a short break and then have two more does in March to deliver yet.

We have been having such a crazy winter and we are suppose to go back down in the teens tonight and the next few days single digits. I bought heat lamps and hope the kids do okay with the cold.At least they are a few days old so that helps. Glad no one is due the next few days.

We got a load of hay in and more firewood cut. I was getting nervous cause we were running out of both. Now we have a good amount of both. I feel like I can mentally relax now that we have both in store. I only have 14 adult goats and have already been through 300 bales of hay and just picked up another 103 bales. We have burned twice the wood for sure. I am ready for spring. Here is a few pictures of the new babies.Hope everyone is doing okay and staying warm.

Some of these pictures look kinda out of proportion cause my son used a wide angle lens on his camera. The spotted doe looks like she is all head and no body....lol.But all in all he did a good job.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Feb 25 2014 11:17:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2014 :  4:54:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh those mommas and babies are so cute! Goodness three babies to watch over and feed at a time. Does momma know which way to turn? :) At least they have a nice barn to keep warm in. Goodluck with them. I won't have beef babies here till mid march. Sure hope our weather gets better by then. It is back to cold and awful out. have fun with the babies

Michele
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2014 :  4:11:39 PM  Show Profile
I was blessed with a half jersey half guernsey bull calf the evening of Feb 20th. It is soooo nice to have fresh milk again! Momma and baby are doing well. And it's nice to have the guernsey bull, since she obviously didn't take on either of the two ranch dates I had set her up on. Guess the Beef boys aren't her type!
Those are pretty kids and does. Glad to hear everyone is doing well. And that u have plenty of hay and fire wood.
We are having a very mild winter. I don't mind not shoveling snow but we badly need the water! At least we have gotten a few snow showers and a bit of rain in the past month.

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2014 :  6:39:14 PM  Show Profile
Linda~ Those babies are so cute! Our kiddings will begin in a month.

Alicia~ I know what you mean about the fresh milk. Congrats on the calf!

Our weather here has been crazy. High 70's then back down to the 30's at night. Still keeping a supply of wood handy for the fireplace.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2014 :  5:58:10 PM  Show Profile
Nubians are so cute :)

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  09:41:11 AM  Show Profile
Here is a picture of my newest little buck. He was born 6 days ago. I think he is the cutest darn little guy. His sister looks very much like him. Excuse the way I look was working at the barn. I look terrible in this picture but he looks absolutely adorable.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Apr 02 2014 2:50:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  2:20:10 PM  Show Profile
Linda, being out in the barnyard we can't be dolled up all the time! ;) Once I went to the vet and forgot to change my shoes. I was wearing my houseshoes! Love those ears on the lttle guy! We are still waiting for our does to kid. None yet!

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  4:29:52 PM  Show Profile
Linda you and baby look darn cute! Hope your babies are all doing well. I have had 6 cows calve now. 3 to go. 3 boys and 3 girls. I did lose one boy. Had to go to a funeral, and darn if the cow didn't calve while we were gone. I had checked before I got ready and no one acted like they were going to calve. But I guess that happens. Had one back wards, but thankfully those back feet came first. Otherwise all have come the right way! Still lots of snow here, but it is going down. More coming on Friday I hear. take care all.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2014 :  7:18:07 PM  Show Profile
Would love to see pictures of your kids Betty when they are born. I went shopping in chore shoes one time. I was dressed and ready to go and had to out to the barn to check something so I put chore shoes back on. Then I left and went a few miles and kept smelling barn smell and realized I had not changed my shoes. Crazy but I turned around and went home to change because they were that bad....lol.

Thanks Michele I think he is super cute too.But I think they are all cute....its hard to sell these cuties but I can't keep them all.I had 3 sets of trips this year and 2 sets of twins. I still have one to go in May and she looks like trips or quads.......which means more bottle babies. Moms can't keep up so I help her and bottle twice a day and she takes care of the rest.
Our snow is finally gone and we made it to 75 yesterday.......crazy warm. Today it was 62 and we are getting thunderstorms and quite a bit of rain. I have to say I don't miss the mudd or getting poured on doing chores but I am actually glad to see winter go this year. Its been a hard one for us in southern Ohio. Way colder and snowier than usual. At least with this super cold winter we had I didn't get muddy very often. Glad your calving has gone pretty well and so sorry you loss a calf.That is truly a hard loss.

Well I am off to do evening bottling and then off to bed. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Apr 02 2014 7:19:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2014 :  8:44:16 PM  Show Profile
Well, I am finally getting over this awful allergy spell I have been having. Even going out to the barn was hard as it made it where I could breathe. Last night a first freshner had triplets! Buck, doe, buck. The last one came backwards with back feet and made it! Our first set!

Sorry for the lost one Michelle.

Congrats on all the kids, Linda! I still have 14 left to kid since this is just the beginning. I will get some pictures up as soon as I can!

I am trying to get all my swaps done and in the mail since I am about to be real busy!

Our weather has been in late 70's and tonight it is supposed to be 44!

Well, babies have been fed and I am off to bed!

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589

Edited by - Dapple Grey Lady on Apr 08 2014 8:45:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2014 :  6:31:40 PM  Show Profile
And another set of triplets today! But they are all bucks....

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2014 :  05:17:11 AM  Show Profile
Well Betty sounds like kidding season is off and running. I hope you get more does because it looks like so far that the bucks are winning....lol. I forget what kind of goats you have.Make sure you grab some naps while you can because sounds like you are going to be super duper busy. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Apr 10 2014 6:40:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4267 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4267 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2014 :  6:14:42 PM  Show Profile
oh my goodness Betty, you will be busy keeping up with all those babies! Best of luck to you. I had calf number 8 today. So glad for these daytime calvings. Makes life a bit easier. it was a heifer today. Momma was stupid and didn't want to lick her. So I grabed hay and rubbed her down. Then I got some towels and did a better job. I did have to throw a rope halter on momma to get her to stand still at first so baby could eat. But now they are doing just fine and momma is licking on baby. Linda hope your babies are all doing well.
good luck girls.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  9:48:43 PM  Show Profile
Well, so far we had had 5 sets of triplets, 1 set 3 bucks, 2 sets buck, buck, doe, and 1 set of all does! 4 sets of twins. A big first here on our little farm with the triplets.. Tally so far is 12 bucks and 10 does. 1 doe was stillborn. We have Nubian dairy goats.

Also the first time we have had to pull kids with several being backwards. It has been an educating kidding season. My 10 year old grand daughter got right in there helping to clean up the kids and help me catch one. She loved it.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589

Edited by - Dapple Grey Lady on Apr 24 2014 9:51:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2014 :  09:53:40 AM  Show Profile
Okay ladies - my baby goat (about 42 days old) is lethargic and wants to be held all the time. After reading about goat bloat - I think that may be it. He was fine Saturday evening, bouncing around and being silly. Sunday we go to let them out and he is hunched up in the corner of the stall, shivering. I figure it is either the bloat or the big goat has injured him. She likes to ram him and the 10 month old all the time purely out of meanness. She's not staying. Little Maka is back in the house in the dog crate. I have walked him and he has a small bowl of water and a small amount of hay. He is still urinating and has bowel movements. Last night the poo was a bit clumpy, but this morning it was individual berries. He doesn't have a fever, but he does shiver a little bit. I had to leave him at home and I am hoping he is still alive when I get back from work at 7 pm this evening. I left my doxie in the crate with him for company and warmth (yes they get along just fine) Poor little guy - I was up at 530 this morning to take dogs and goat out. When we came back in, he jumped on the couch with me and laid down on my stomach for 2.5 hours until I had to leave for work. I so wish I could have stayed home today!

As far as Ugly Betty goes - she's either going to the butcher or the auction. She is the meanest goat I have ever known. I know she had to have rammed Maka at some point Saturday night/Sunday morning - his left eye has a bit of blood at the bottom of the iris. It wasn't there before.

When I walked him last evening, he followed me all the way around the outside of the house and back to the creek, up on a couple of logs and then back to the house. He stayed with me - if I jogged, so did he. So at least he's moving a little bit. He won't take more than an ounce or 2 of milk when I tried to give him the bottle. I am going to give him the veggie oil treatment when I get home. I am so worried.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2014 :  1:23:04 PM  Show Profile
Do you treat for cocci? There is a facebook page called The Goat Care Unit that has some very knowledgeable goat keepers on you might also ask the question on.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page