Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Where do you go to find . . .
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Where do you go to find . . . Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  10:32:39 AM  Show Profile
old/antique things for your house like . . . claw foot tub, farmstyle kichen sink, wood stove, etc.?

Like everyone else, I'm looking for great prices, not fancy, and I don't mind restoring and all that stuff. I just don't know where to start looking. The auctions around here usually aren't the best place, probably, because antique dealers go and they have much deeper pockets than me. Where do you find stuff?

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  11:26:32 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
hey patti-
i get everything for my house at flea markets and thrift stores. also look in the paper for things under "Household Items For Sale" i also love love love garage sales. you will find that prices are very cheap. also don't forget to talk them down a bit if you can. or at least say if I buy all this can you give me 5 or 10 dollars off. sometimes it takes looking through bins and many shelves. I find I either have great days where I find a ton of stuff or bad days when I find nothing.

good luck!

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  11:33:28 AM  Show Profile
don't need those things .. but when friends ask .. i have some dealer friends who have great resources .. be they antiques dealers or farmers .. that usually have what they are looking for.

"I" am looking for wonderful and HUGE flat stones for our walkway. Have a friend working on that one for me now! xo

good luck in your search! ask neighbors and farmers in your area. xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  12:46:06 PM  Show Profile
Patti -

We go to salvage yards, junkyard type places, garage sales, used furniture stores, etc. See if there is a salvage place in your area. Lot of times they are just trying to unload the items that they took out of an old house/business before they tear the building down. We have salvaged door handles on our front door, we go shopping for the glass door knobs at the salvage place, etc. They are wonderful resources. I also find if I go to a used furniture/junk store, I find better deals on old pieces then if they advertised as a antique store.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  1:05:21 PM  Show Profile
Talk to remodeling businesses. also plumbing companies, when they take things out of houses they have to get rid of it.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  4:24:39 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Flea markets and salvage yards. Around here... word of mouth will tell you who is using an old claw-foot tub as a water basin for his cows.
Go to Top of Page

Northerngal
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Gale
Iowa
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  5:52:15 PM  Show Profile
Farm auctions are a good place to look for antiques. It's not usually the antique dealers that bid something up, but someone in the family that wants a particular piece because it's been in the family. I go to antique stores to get an idea what certain pieces are going for given their condition, etc. I've noticed that usually a dealer won't go much above half price of what the piece sells for in their store. They have to make a profit to stay in business.

Rummage sales are another good option. Sometimes people don't know what they are getting rid of and you can score a really good deal. Thrift stores are great too. I once bought a whole bunch of the old blue mason jars for a couple of bucks versus what they go for in an antique store.

Another option is if your town has a cleanup day in the spring when anything can be left by the curb for city crews to dispose of. I found a wonderful antique stepback cupboard this way. Of course the feet had rotted off and the crown molding at the top was damaged, but once I made new feet and replaced the crown molding, it looks really nice. I also had to clean it and repaint it, but I'm happy with it.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  6:21:38 PM  Show Profile
Great ideas, ladies! I guess you know what I'll be doing every spare chance I get -- auctions, garage sales, salvage yard visits, etc., etc. This will be so much fun! Thank goodness my Tracker gets really good gas mileage.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2006 :  05:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Also, if you have a Habitat for Humanity store, try it. (Look up their site: http://www.habitatforhumanity.com ) They take donations of used building/housing items from remodels and sell them for pretty cheap from what I hear. I'm still trying to find time to go visit ours, we have two in the Tampa area.

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  5:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
Does your area have a penny saver newspaper? That is were I see a lot of stuff like that. I know my dear other half's mom has a penny saver in her area that always has Claw foot tubs in it.

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  10:29:24 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
Frannie, It is rock picking time.. at least up here! Each time a farmer plows, up some more stones, even bolders.. Each spring i drive through the country side and scan the fields. I have not met a farmer yet who did not appreciate my offer to pick his rocks and get rid of them. But I have a van full of kids so I of course have to ask... no stealing rocks! and I also have many hands to make short work!
Definately search out the remodlers, they would rather sell fixtures for a small bit than to have to pay the dump to take it away.

-Tami
now ladybugsmom7, the newest farm girl Danielle elizabethwas born March23, Danielle Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Where do you go to find . . . Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page