happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  6:05:54 PM  Show Profile
DH had to make a phone call so I've got a few more minutes to write. The road man (the guy with the bulldozer) finished the road today, so that's a huge improvement. We're going out tomorrow morning to meet him so we can tell him if we want anything else done. We also decided against the tent after all. My fil offered to go 1/2s on a cheap camper that we could live in while we're building, then he'll take it to the land he owns (where he and his brother-in-laws all own huge plots of land and have a hunting cabin) to have more sleeping space during hunting season. We bought the camper today and will pick it up tomorrow. It's old, 24' long, sleeps 6 (packed in like sardines ), and needs to be cleaned from top to bottom. But it's sturdy, has no leaks, and is better than a tent.

Everything we're putting in storage is there, except one last load. Then I need to try to consolidate all my craft and scrapping supplies so there are less boxes, and then we'll take them to my in-laws'. I was worried about the pictures getting hot and sticking together if I put them in the storage unit, so my mil said I could put all of that stuff in her spare room.

Well, dh is off the phone and ready to go. I just thought I'd let you know what's going on. We're still closing on our house Thursday afternoon, and then we'll be living on the farm!!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Edited by - happymama58 on Apr 24 2006 8:16:45 PM

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  03:33:22 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
That's so awesome! I'm glad you all got a camper, does it have an a/c for those extremely hot days? (They can get super hot in the summer!) Sounds like you've been busy, busy, busy!!! I can't wait to hear more about the progress of your farm!

One question though, where do you have to go for internet access once you move out there?!? lol Hopefully you'll still be able to come around pretty often! :)

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  07:57:32 AM  Show Profile
Patti, I'm so happy for you! Sounds like you have a busy summer ahead of you. Keep us posted on the progress. Would love to see pictures.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  09:08:23 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations on the progress - how fun to see things going on right in front of your eyes!!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  12:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
Patti im so happy to hear your good news!! Keep is posted as often as you can! Cant wait to hear how things go!!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  6:38:58 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure how far I'll have to drive to have internet access -- at least 20 miles, I think. I'll probably check in once or so a week after Thursday when we move. I'm hoping to get some pictures posted on my blog before we move. Wait til you see my new home -- the salesman said it was 24' long, but it's really 18'. Very cozy!

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  07:16:28 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Patti- I am so glad to hear things going so well for you. It is also so wonderful to hear the joy in your voice. Many blessings to you in this new home!

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  07:43:53 AM  Show Profile
thats great patti, sounds like its going well. Glad things are working out.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  12:58:54 PM  Show Profile
How exciting to read your farm update-sounds like it is all coming together. Keep us posted as you can! :)
Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2006 :  09:18:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi, ladies! I'm in town at my mom's for at least part of today, so I'm using her computer (dial-up connection, which I hadn't used in ages and had forgotten how slow it is ) to check in. We spent our first night in the camper Thursday and learned real quick that there is no way we can share the bed that supposedly sleeps 2. It may sleep 2 people, but they're either extremely small or extremely fond of each other! And yes, I love my dh dearly, but every time he moved a bit, much less turned over, I had to move or turn over, too. HIs alarm went off at 5:00 and he informed me that I needed to get up (I slept on the "outside" because I can't stand feeling "trapped") so he could get up. So, last night he slept in that bed, and I slept in the bed that is made from the table. I was very comfortable there and got a great night's sleep, which I needed.

We have a battery hooked up, so the lights in the trailer work, and the water tank is filled, so we have running water (tastes nasty, though, and we think the pipes in the trailer must be the reason since it's good well water) and a working toilet. The well guy is coming out Monday to check the pump, get that working, and do a water sample. Also, the electric should be ready early next week -- they're moving the meter to the pole closest to the building site; then dh will put a small electric "box) on the trailer and we'll have electricity. I can cook inside -- we have the 2 propane tanks filled and the stove & oven both work. THe only thing that doesn't work is the refrigerator, but sil gave us an older refrigerator that we have sitting under the awning outside, just waiting on electricity to plug it in.

I worked on organizing everything in the trailer and then doing some clearing of branches that overhang our gravel road (finally measured -- we're .6 miles off the blacktop road) yesterday, but it's raining today and supposed to rain through Tuesday, so I'm in town today with my kids & mom. My dd is staying with her until we get the basement done, and ds is home from college this weekend and staying with her.

The last 2 nights dh & I have sat inside playing cribbage and backgammon until bedtime. It's quiet, we can hear the tree frogs, etc., and I'm enjoying spending our evenings so peacefully.

Oh, about the A/C. When we first brought the trailer out to the country, we parked it at my in-laws so we could hook it up to their electric and clean it out, etc. The A/C works (so does the heater), so as soon as we have electric we'll be able to turn it on. We haven't needed it yet -- cool, slightly breezy days and very cool nights.

Well, I need to check other threads and see what-all is going on with everyone else. Feel free to write anytime to my regular address:

Patti Miinch
P.O. Box 1014
Cape Girardeau, MO 63702-1014

This is our temporary address until we can get the mailbox up and an address from our mail carrier. That will hopefully happen on Monday or so, when dh is off again. I love regular letters and will write as soon as I can. Ladies, I truly do appreciate all your support and friendship! Very few people irl (in real life) understand what we're doing, so you're more encouragement than you could ever know. God bless each of you!

Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2006 :  09:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Patti, it sounds like this is going to be such an exciting time for you all, seeing your dream becoming a reality!!! Thanks for "updating"! :)

About cooking in the camper, you might want to rethink that once it starts to get hot. You may have A/C, but it will get SO hot in there when you cook! You could bring a gas grill to set up somewhere (along with some picnic tables) and make yourself a lovely outdoor kitchen. Just a thought!

I'm hoping for the best for you all! I soooooo miss living in the country, and I think it's great you're getting to do it!

Katee

Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2006 :  2:35:08 PM  Show Profile
We've got the bar-b-q grill on the "patio", which is what we call the grassy area underneath the awning and plan to cook on it when it gets warmer. Last night and tonight, though, dh doesn't get home from work until close to 8:30 and it's pretty cool then, so the small amount of heat in the camper is welcome.

We figure once it gets warmer, we can cook almost, if not everything, outside. I'm not a real adventorous cook to begin with, so everything is pretty basic stuff.

Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2006 :  03:51:05 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
I don't know how long it'll be until you get a permanent house, but I found this link and thought it VERY interesting, and thought of you too! :) It's some really cool "prefab" homes, I didn't explore further on prices, but will when I have time.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/architecture/prefab/

Katee

Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - May 01 2006 :  10:58:27 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello Patti,
Congrads on starting your adventure. We have spent many summers in our summer home (1977 remodeled Ford motor home). I am sure you will enjoy yourself. We lose our summer home in about 3 weeks as our new home should be move in ready. YEAH!!!!! 6 months late but better late then never.You might want to flush your water tank and an RV store will have an additive to add to your water to keep it fresh. If you are using the indoor toilet I would suggest not putting toilet paper down. Even though they say it composes it takes up room in the mean time. A cover can with a liner we found to be a much better option. Can't wait to hear about your adventures.
:>)

Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Quick update on our farm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page