Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 A few questions for you goat ladies!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic A few questions for you goat ladies!! Next Topic  

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  9:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi There, I have a few questions about goats...

1. How much alfalfa should I give a pregnant goat in her last month of pregnancy? Right now I am giving her a handful or two every other day.

2. How much grain should I give her? I give her about 1 to 2 cups every other day.

3. When should you dehorn a baby goat? I read somewhere where you should do it right after it's born.

4. When should you trim it's hooves? Right after it is born?

5. When should you worm a baby goat?

6. How much grass should the pregnant does get? I have to go out and cut it for them because we don't have all of our yard fenced in and we have lots of rodies and other things.

I will prpbably think of more later. Thank you so much!!!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  11:39:05 AM  Show Profile
1) Some people only give grass hay- more physiologic for the goat
2) I would give grain daily. I can't remember what we gave but it was at least 2 cups daily if pregnant and dry, at least a quart if in milk. depends on size of goat.
3) Some people do not de horn. It is not imperitive to de horn at birth and to do so may interrupt bonding
4)The hooves will be soft and not in need of trimming. I think they were not trimmed for 6 months or more but do not quote me
5)We never wormed any of our goats and they were very healthy.
6) We let them out to graze- I'm sure a pregnant doe would eat as much grass as you gave her. We had alfalfa hay in the feeder at ALL times- but if it were today, I would give grass hay.
~ MAry LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  12:39:30 PM  Show Profile
wheres kris

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  3:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Mary!! They have free choice of hay at all times and have a mineral block and water at all times. I don't want to get her fat but I want her to get all the stuff she needs for having a baby and stuff. I was going to do the dehorning paste. Would it interfear with bonding? Thank you again!!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  4:02:58 PM  Show Profile
Well I will be the one that does not follow the books.

I NEVER dehorn a goat - it is their protection, their way of cooling themselves and if you do not know what you are doing you will seriously hurt the animal.

They do not need to get their hoofs trimed for almost a year - also if the have access to hard rocks and such they keep their hoofs under control. They are also like people, some grown their nails quickly and others don't. Their diet will also determine their hoofs.

Feeding grain and rich alfalfa is a tricky dance because you can make their systems toxic in the last stage of birthing. I feed good hay, some alfalfa pellets about 1 cup daily and only 1 cup of grain for those carrying several babies or for my very old girls - that means the 17 to 21 year olds. I limit corn, soy and alll my feed is certified organic including my hay...

I do not give normal wormers but rather herbs - I also do not give shots. Have not done so for 10 years and never lost a goat. Now I know that is not what others do so again as I have said in past writings you have to educate yourself on what you are doing and run a very clean farm..

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  4:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Grace, what type of herbs do you feed your goats? I really really want to go all natural but felt since I didn't read alot of info that I should not play around. So should I cut down on the grain and alfalfa? I don't give it to them at the same time.
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  7:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
is it cheaper?
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  05:50:56 AM  Show Profile
Channah, can I just put my two cents in here? I have only heard bad things about the dehorning cream. It's VERY painful for the poor kids and for a long time. Can you imagine acid being put on your head? I dehorn because I have milk goats. I sell them, too. No one wants a horned milk goat. It's too hard to get their heads in the stanchions and they can be dangerous to other goats that don't have them and also to people. So I dehorn. BUT NOT at birth! The horn buds need to be at least an inch long but no longer otherwise they might grow back. I use a dehorning tool called a burning iron. It takes no more than a few minutes on each horn. Yes, I am sure it is painful but for just a few minutes. You can use a box or hold them between your legs which is what we do. After the deed is done they are sprayed with the yellow spray to keep flies away and it's an antibacterial thing. Can't remember the name. Then they are put back in with mom and they forget all about it. BUT don't do this yourself until you have been doing it awhile. And it's not for the faint at heart, either. I cried the first several times. Now it's no big deal.

Also I bought all but 1 of my does already done. So I will continue to do it. I had a friends doe last year because she didn't want to milk her. She had horns. She used her horns. All the time. It was not fair to all mine. She used them on me, too. The only good thing horns are for is to use them for handles. That's my opinion. Or if they were out in the open fields unattended for protection.

And your vet can do this for you in just a few minutes for not much money. They might put them to sleep which be less stress and pain for the kid and you. You could think about thay. I did this with my Nubian, Sandy. But you won't need to worry about this til they are at least 3-4 weeks old. ANd if it's a buck and you want to castrate him that can be done at the same time. We cut and pull. Takes 3 seconds on each side. They get sprayed, put down and back with mom in less than 2 minutes. No problems.

But PLEASE don't use the cream. You will probably end up having to have them burned off anyway because it didn't work. And if it's a buck they are harder. I have had to redo bucks a few times and still the horns grow back. The last 2 years I have had no luck. I waited too long last year. You just have to know when the right time is.

Oh, and I worm my does like the NEXT day after they kid. That's when the larva of the worms are active. This way the kids will benifit from it, too. Just do it the day after kidding. Last year I did not do this and I had the worst worm problem a month or so later. It was awful. Rounds and rounds of worm meds every few weeks. A few had bottle jaw which will kill them.

Sorry this is so long. Just had to speak up here. And you may get lucky and have naturally hornless kids! It can happen. I've had a few.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  05:54:13 AM  Show Profile
Channah, for a natural wormer you can use apple cider vinegar in their water. I put about a cup or so in a 5 gallon bucket. I've heard garlic is also good. You have to be careful when using wormers to check the milk letdown. That's why I like to do it right after birth because I don't milk for 2-3 weeks when the kids are on them so that's a greta time to do it. With Cydectin there is no milk withdrawal time. I do however wait a week when I use that nasty stuff. But it sure does work.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  06:20:50 AM  Show Profile
1. I used bagged alfalfa and put out a 3 gallon bucket each evening for my does to share, while they are milking or preggers. I keep hay available year round.
2. I feed both does about 1 lb of feed, twice a day on the milk stand and about 1 cup in the evening, when I pen them up for the night.
3. I burn the horns at 2-3 weeks, the paste can spread to other parts of the head and any other goat they rub their heads on.
4. I do not trim the hooves until it is necessary, depends on the kid. We had only bucks last season and they went to the processing plant at 6 moths and did not need a trim before I sent them off.
5. I use the rubber bands to castrate, usually 1 week after dehorning.
6. I use and herbal wormer Verm-X, available by mail order in my area (Texas) is has been used for years in Europe. I put it in my does food while they are on the milk stand, once a month. No milk withdrawal needed. Also, I worm the girls a week or two before they are due to kid, that way the kids get theirs from the doe. Also, a clean barn helps keep the worms down. If it is too cold or wet, to clean out the barn, I put down diatomaceous earth when I put down stall sweet powder. I sprinkle DE first and then the stall sweet right on top, this also helps with flies during warm weather.
7. Preggers or not, my does are let out of the barn to the pasture every day and allowed to eat whatever they want, how much they want. Goats are not prone to overeat like some other livestock.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  07:26:21 AM  Show Profile
I second the advise given about the dehorning paste. If you're going to dehorn, use an iron made for that purpose. I always had a young 4H teen who had done it for years. I never had the stomach to leave the iron on long enough to get the job done.
As for alfalfa, yes they need it in the last couple of weeks and after delivery. If you've ever had a doe go down with milk fever, shaking and almost comatose, you'll never forget the alfalfa. In Arizona, I used to have access to good alfalfa hay, but in Arkansas that was unknown, so I bought pellets.
As for grain, I milked all my does, so I gave them a goat dairy feed mix (about a small coffee can) as I milked them. They would need about the same if nursing growing babies.
Have fun. I miss my goats so much!

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  12:47:21 PM  Show Profile
My vet says that they should be dehorned at 2 weeks of age and he has always done mine and they have never grown in funny or had any problems with them. He does use a the burning tool. He also will band them if you want your male castrated at that time also. He likes for them to have their first shot at one week before he does this so they have no problems. So get yourself an experienced person or vet to do them at first. Mine little guys and girls are nigerians so they are even smaller than the goats used for dairy and they have never had a problem with any of this being done at 2 weeks. They get over it very fast and go on nursing and running and jumping and having fun just like before... hoofs don't need trimming till much later like already said and the other things have been covered also...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  4:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh boy.... I am sorry but I just don't know what to do know.... I already went ahead and bought the dehorning paste but I really wanted to use the iron but it cost so much... But now I will not use it... Thank you all so much! I will have to re-read all this and think.... I just want to do whats best for my goats and it's so hard to figure out what way to follow.
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Laur
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Laurie
Boonville MO
32 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  4:30:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Channah, Dibudding baby goats is my least favorite job in the world but,I've done 100's of them. I have only used hot irons, I usualy use one designed for disbudding, but I have used a thick type pipe heated up with a blow torch once or a fire when there was no electric.
Hoeggger supply has a non electric iron I've used too, I bought it when I couldn't afford and electric one. The key to doing it right is do it before the horn buds get too big and making sure the iron is hot enough, it may need to be reheated between kids sometimes. Sometimes on swiss(Saanen, Alpine) buck kids that can be a day or two after they are born if they are doing fine! I like to get them done before the bud is raising up much, so less stress. A good copper colored ring is important.
Again, Fiascofarm.com has explanations about how to disbud and great, clear pictures too!!

You asked about feeding. In the last month before a doe kids I try to very gradually increase her feed a little as the babies are growing fast, in the case of a doe with multiples in there this is important. There is delicate balance in the rumen(the stomach where all the feed is fermented) so I try and change anything I do very gradually!!!! Loose goat mineral is in my experience very important too!
Worming when they kid is very important as mentioned above. The change in the does hormones signals the worms to wake up and get growing.
Sending you a big hug, sounds like you are trying so hard to get everything ready and right for your goat!!!!

Edited by - Laur on Feb 14 2010 4:38:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  4:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you so much Laurie!! I am trying very hard!!

Well Ladies, I have decided to get an iron for dehorning. :) :) I guess I was not thinking when I got the paste but hopefully we can take it back to the farm store. :) Thank ya all for your help!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  4:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
So worm them when they are a few days old??
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Laur
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Laurie
Boonville MO
32 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  4:51:54 PM  Show Profile
Worm just the doe the day she kids. The kids will be fine for 3 weeks or longer depending on you climate and management.
Give me some idea about your climate, management ,and current worm history and I'll give you some ideas on what might work if you'd like.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  4:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Well it is very wet here. But we don't have big worm problems here my dad said. Thanks so much for you help!!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2909 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2909 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  6:51:32 PM  Show Profile
Channah, my friend Linda, who I consider to be the regional goat expert, also uses an iron, & while she, like Kristin & the others, does not relish the job, it is over & done quickly & the babies do very well.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  9:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Wow!! I guess I am making the right choice as 10 people have told me to use the iron. I hope I have the guts to do it.
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic A few questions for you goat ladies!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page