farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  04:58:24 AM  Show Profile
Our getting chickens is currently being discussed!! After reading and rereading the city codes (which we either didn't understand before, or they have changed) we actually can have chickens here.

Cross your fingers that it works out and I get a big fat YES!

I should explain - my family and my parents share a home in order for both parties to save money (both working to move north to a farm). My parents own this house however. We live in city limits (they've annexed out so far its ridiculous). There are a few codes we are in violation of, and because of that I was giving up having chickens. I didn't want anyone showing up to see we had chickens (I was thinking they weren't allowed) and finding out all the other things we have here that we aren't supposed to.

Now I find out they are allowed. We pay a good chunk of the bills here (since my parents don't have a lot of work) but its my parents house so I figure the obvious right thing to do is get their permission.

SO - cross your fingers!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  06:45:23 AM  Show Profile
I so hope you can get some. You can probably only have 4 or 5 anyway so that's not such a big deal. And no rooster so that helps. Although I love my roos. They just add a little more farm to the farm.

So good luck. I am crossing mine, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  09:05:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks - actually you can have 20 chickens for 5 acres according to the code here. I really think they changed it because I don't remember seeing anything about that when I looked two years ago. Do I have to ask about roosters? I didn't even think about it! It doesn't say anything either way as far as i know...or do I not want roosters....help me out! I love chickens, but I'm super green at this. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  09:18:05 AM  Show Profile
I thought you might be in town. They do not allow roos in town but will allow up to 5 hens. So you have acerage you might be able to have a roo. All farms need a rooster to tell them to get up in the morning! I love my 2 guys.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Waynette
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Waynette
Sunbright Tennessee
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  09:30:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amy:

Roosters are wonderful unless its a RIR they can get hateful. Zeke was flogged a few times before we got rid of him. We now have a very nice barred rock. Never had any trouble from him. I think the reason Kris was talking about is most cities ban roosters because of the noise. Your neighbors may not want to be awake at 5:00am HA. Around here "pepper" wakes us about 4:30am. But thats okay since we milk at 5:00am. I love my chickens. We get lots of nice eggs and meat, then they also keep ticks etc out of the yard. Good luck with yours. We really like the RIR for egg production, they start laying early and almost everyday year round. I am expecting 15 new Bourbon red turkey babies in a few weeks. We already have a good flock but wanted to add some new blood. Good luck

Waynette
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  6:37:08 PM  Show Profile
Cool Amy, hope it works out. We had to get rid of our roosters, they are allowed but lordy, when the rest of the country went off Daylight savings they stayed on, if the bathroom light went on they thought it was the sun, and if they got started they went for 45 minutes at least - I couldn't make eye contact with the neighbors for a month. I love our hens though - great fun!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  6:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I hope everything works out for you!!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  1:41:20 PM  Show Profile
Amy, you probably will not want a rooster. Well, okay, I may just be down on roosters right now. Mine flogged me for the third time. It doesn't feel very good either. I love my hens though, They are very sweet girls.
Good Luck1

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  3:24:30 PM  Show Profile
i hope it works out for you too!! I love my chickens!

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  4:00:09 PM  Show Profile
That's funny about the RIR rooster being mean and the Barred Rock not. I had just the opposite experience. My RIR roos were grand dudes and I had them for a long time. I like the sound of them crowing and my roos and the neighbors used to have crowing wars. My last one died of old age this winter so I only have chickens now. I kinda miss the old bugger. Have fun with your chickens. By the way - I always name them Stew Pot so they know exactly where they stand if they get too aggressive....

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Crossin' my fingers.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page