Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Grocery shopping only once a month?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery shopping only once a month? Next Topic
Page: of 2

krbrown@rocketmail.com
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Kim
Allendale MI
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  12:31:10 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone only grocery shop once a month? I would love to do this, any tips would be great. Thanks, Farmgirl Kim

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  12:40:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kim!
I don't shop once a month; I shop twice a month, as I get paid twice a month. With just 2 of us, it's easy.
I buy things like meats, flour, sugar, beans, rice, grains, pasta, tea, cheese, baking supplies, etc. etc. Two at a time, or in bigger packages. Lasts us a while if I do it that way.
The only thing that might not do so well is fresh stuff like dairy, and veggies. I only buy produce at the grocery in the cold months, though; during the summer if I need a veggie I run out to the garden.
If I buy meats at the grocery (We raise our own or get organic when we can)I get them in large quantities, separate them in to smaller portions, and freeze them.
I guess it really depends on how much storage space you have, (I have a huge pantry.) and how many people are in your household.
Also, sit down and plan menus for the month. Write everything down, and keep track of it. Account for snacks as well.
That's all I can tell ya! Hope it goes well!

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  3:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I usually try to only shop once a month- but sometimes it is twice a month. I keep the staples on hand- flour, sugar, salt and our main spices. Mostly what I end up buying routinely is fresh food such a fruits and veggies (which keep for quite some time) and things like milk. We go through at least a gallon of milk a week so I buy it 2-4 gallons at a time and freeze the extras. One thing I do is try to plan out a month's worth of meals and buy accordingly. Then there are the left over nights and nights we just don't feel like much of anything so I usually find I "over buy" but we stay in budget and our food budget is between $200-$250 per month!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Perennial
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Bea
Southwest Virginia
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  04:34:51 AM  Show Profile
I do one "big" shop per month or every 4-6 weeks, then in between
I buy any veggies/fruit, milk. When the garden is in season, i buy less veggies/fruit of course. As for milk, my kids and hubby go through 3 gallons a week and then when the kids have their teen friends over, we go through another gallon at least!
Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  06:26:55 AM  Show Profile
I wish I could only shop once a month! Truth be known I am grocery store addict! I love to cook so I get lots of ideas when I go in the stores. I think if it were not for my addiction I could easily only shop once a month. I grow a garden, I dehydrate and can most of my own veggies and fruits. I have a friend that has a butcher shop and I work for him for bulk meats.

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  06:39:00 AM  Show Profile
You have to be really organized (like Alee) to be able to pull this off. Plus, you have to discipline yourself to cook with what you already have. I have done it before, especially when money is SUPER tight. But it's really easy to say, I'll just run to the store and pick up (whatever). I do get really excited if I haven't been to the grocery store in a couple of weeks. The fewer times I go, the more money I'm saving!!! Woohoo!!

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  06:46:13 AM  Show Profile
My Hubby and I shop once a month... he gets paid once a month. It is just the two of us in the household. We use up the fresh produce up within two weeks and make meals from frozen or cupboard stuff... like rice, dried beans, pasta. I have a small upright freezer that is stocked with lamb, chicken, turkey, some beef and veggies. I also bake bread. It always works out just fine and some things carry over to next months.
I am glad to shop once a month... the cost of things gives me fainting feeling, and shopping once a month for us also cuts down on the gas.

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  07:49:29 AM  Show Profile
I do a big shop once a month because that's how I get paid. We have considerable "food storage" so it works out really well.
We have 4 adults living at home with two who wander through on a regular basis. And we always pick up an extra at least once or twice a week.

Like Karrieann, we eat the fresh veggies and fruit till they are gone and then its back to frozen or canned.

It was nice yesterday, I made bread and rolls and then pulled a couple of jars of home-canned soup off the shelf and that was dinner. I have started pressure canning alot more this last few months and LOVE it!!! THen I can buy things on sale and can away. I have done meats, soups, vege's, etc. If you don't can, you can stock up on store bought and work those into your menu. =)

After all that.... guess I am saying it's pretty easy to do! A little pre-planning, a few life style changes, you will be on top of it!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  08:30:25 AM  Show Profile
shopping once a month, or even twice sounds like the most efficient and economical way....however, i have to tell you, grocery shopping to me is therapy! i just do it at my own pace, nothing to distract me....but, i might be getting a job and so i'll probably want to try and be efficient like you guys!!
Go to Top of Page

krbrown@rocketmail.com
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Kim
Allendale MI
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  10:35:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for your advice.
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  11:46:24 AM  Show Profile
Leanne at savingdinner.com has menus and shopping lists for a month's worth of meals at at time (or a week at a time). Her plans are wonderful.

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  3:38:22 PM  Show Profile
...I forgot to mention.. as far as for milk, we're not much of milk drinkers but always have on hand dry milk for times we want some for cereal or cooking.

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  3:56:11 PM  Show Profile
this is a great idea. I would love to shop only once a month...then I wouldn't be tempted to buy things I don't need every time I am there!

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Perennial
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Bea
Southwest Virginia
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  04:12:33 AM  Show Profile
For me it was a cost thing and when 9/11 happened it made me think about being prepared. At that time, we lived 4 minutes from the market so i went once a week and then stopped if i needed anything. We only had a few days worth of food in the house - aside from pasta, but even that - no extra sauce. With young children, it really occurred to me that i needed to be prepared for anything - even mother nature storms, etc. So, i started shopping in bulk for most everything. I still have a ways to go for my task of now making my groceries as cheap as possible. I have almost a grocery store here. When my hubby was out of work last year for 5 months (in the winter), i didn't do any big shop - had enough to keep it to just milk, veggies, etc. I did have to do a sizeable shop when he became employed, but i spread it out over a few months, so i wouldn't feel it as much. I look at what's on sale locally and do buy those in bulk weekly - if it's something we genuinely use. I do need to get back on the coupon wagon again though.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  07:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think that is great, Bea! I usually shop at Costco about twice a year for a big shopping trip (Like $600!) But we haven't done that in a while. It makes me a bit nervous when we start using up that supply- I start worrying about "What if". I am looking forward to the "Free" paycheck coming in April (we get paid 3x) and a big shopping trip coming out of it.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  08:34:06 AM  Show Profile
I raise and grow almost evertthing we eat, but, there is sugar, flour,coffee, spices and pastas etc, plus T.P., shampoo, soap etc that I do have to buy, so I only shop about every 4 months or so.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  3:01:14 PM  Show Profile
We shop once every 3 months. . . yup, you read that right The only thing we need to purchase is fresh milk. I do out a list of the ingredients we use and how often. Then, we stock up once on all of it. This way we save on the gas and don't get caught up in what the stores want us to buy.

It's easy to figure out what your family needs. Just make a note on your calender when you open up something ( like toothpaste or shampoo for example) then note when it is empty. Now you know how often you go through each item and how many you will need for the next 3 months.

Truly helps for when you are on a very tight budget, or like me, not receiving a regular income.

Joanna #566
JojoNH

http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

Perennial
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Bea
Southwest Virginia
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  06:14:52 AM  Show Profile
I have a long way to go - I'm working on my garden this year so it will produce enough so i can can, dry and freeze. I like that calendar idea. I'm also working on making more "snacks" instead of buying them. I'm going to start "tracking" what i'm buying so that i can where i need to make the most changes.
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  05:10:09 AM  Show Profile
A quick tip, use your grocery recipts to help track what you are purchasing and how much you are spending. You will discover that certain items are on sale at certain times of the year, that is the time to stock up on whatever it is in the quantity needed.

Second tip for those waiting on their gardens to help fill your pantry, If you purchase the jumbo size cans of veggies ( you know, the ones that are the size a restaurant would use) you can purchase one can for the cost of a single serving size can. Then, when you are ready to use it, freeze the rest in family size servings. This saves valuable space in your freezer for other items since the cans could be stacked on shelving in the basement, garage etc.

Joanna #566
JojoNH

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  05:16:54 AM  Show Profile
Joanna...great tips!! shopping every three months...that is fabulous! Do you mind me asking what your bill would be that day you went shopping/how many do you buy for?

farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  07:34:54 AM  Show Profile
Kim I grocery shop once every 3 months. I can or freeze most of our vegi's for the winter and early spring. And we eat fresh out of the garden the rest of the time. What vegi's I don't have put up or if I run out of something I purchase cans. I know that frozen from the store tastes better and is better for you but it does not last as long. I buy meat in bulk. Usually, I will get an entire loin or ribeye and have it cut into steaks. Chicken the same. I know that there is no one in my family that likes chicken legs or thighs so I don't buy whole chickens. I know it is cheaper but if I'm wasting half of the meat it doesn't even out. You have to plan and you have to have the storage. As soon as I get home from the store any items to go in the freezer are immediately seperated into serving sizes put in vacuum sealed packages and into the freezer. Don't freeze whole packs of meat or large bags of vegi's unless your family will consume it at one time. I think it is a matter of how your family eats. Instead of white bread we eat alot of corn bread. Sometimes I will purchase sliced bread but most of the time I brake fresh bread. The key to shopping less is designing your eating to facilitate the practice. Check expiration dates, purchase items that give you the longest time to consume. Remember the expiration date is for an unopened item. Once opened things will go bad at different rates. Items that need to be refigerated after opening should not be kept more than 2 weeks. Many times I will buy 2 or 3 small containers instead of 1 large for that reason. Hope this gives you a little insite. It works out well for our family. I am one of those rare women that actually hates to shop. I do it as little as possible.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.

Edited by - EastTXFarmgirl on Feb 14 2010 07:38:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  2:50:13 PM  Show Profile
The total averages out to $250.00 for 3 months of food. There are two of us to cook for, however, I shop with the thought of cooking for 4.
Since we always can count on having a couple of friends, neighbors or my Son coming to dinner on a regular basis.

The key to saving is buying the bulk packages. The first few times it feels kind of silly when you come out to your car with a huge shopping cart full of large items ( or two carts ) However, you soon find out how much money stays in your pocket and it becomes a life style.

If we were to purchase the same items in single serving sizes at the regular grocery store, we would spend $135.00 per week!!! Yikes!!!
Shopping once every 3 months, purchasing in bulk turns out I feed all of us on $21.00 per week or $84.00 per month. (The only thing I do not stock up is milk and cream.)

Hope that helps.

Joanna #566
JojoNH

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  3:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Joanna! You do great! I would love to see a menu of what your family eats so I can get an idea and start following in your footprints!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  3:22:28 PM  Show Profile
yes, Alee, I agree! It is so great to learn from our fellow farmgals!!

farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Perennial
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Bea
Southwest Virginia
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  05:06:22 AM  Show Profile
What kinds of things do you buy/vs. make yourself? Just curious!
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  8:05:20 PM  Show Profile
like teresa i too raise most of what we eat. or we trade for it. like local honey.we have 4 freezers. so it is paper goods etc. we live very frugal right now. no work for 18 months. long time sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery shopping only once a month? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page