brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  3:57:19 PM  Show Profile
Knitting with 5 needles looks a lot more complicated than it really is - you only actually use 2 at a time, the rest of the needles are just hanging there waiting for their turn..

If you really don't want to attempt it, though, there are sock patterns for two needles - you seam them up the sides when you are done.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  12:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Stacey, I can knit a scarf AND a discloth!! LOL! I guess I'm officially a knitter, too, then. COOL! And I just learned about Ravelry yesterday while at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. Did any of you go to that festival??? It's WONDERFUL!!!!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  12:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
And Catherine, you're just like me. I can knit a discloth pretty easily now, and a scarf, but I'm a little scared to try something like a sweater. I heard that knitting socks from the toe up isn't real hard to do.... but someone told me yesterday that if I can knit a dishcloth I can knit a sweater or a shawl or something, so I may get brave and try! I bet your daughter is right!!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  06:13:55 AM  Show Profile
I did a quick washcloth the other day just to try to crochet around the edge. Just a plain square one. Didn't turn out so badly.

Here is my favorite dishcloth pattern.... http://www.mielkesfarm.com/dishclth.htm It's round and it looks very pretty all worked up!

I love knitting socks on multiple needles. I like the way they feel in my hands.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  8:10:07 PM  Show Profile
I saw a neat recycle pattern for coasters crocheted from plastic bags on the country woman craft site. I knit but dont crochet. Does anyone know how to convert something like that to knitting?
Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  06:38:26 AM  Show Profile
I knit a bunch and love, love, love it!! Anything circular I do with just one circular needle set - I love not using 5 needles and being able to do the thumb on a mitten with 48" #2 needles. It's an awesome method and very easy to learn (there are U-Tube videos and lots of internet material on it).

One of my big "blahs" in knitting has always been the Dreaded Second (sock, glove, sleeve, etc); I've recently learned (not mastered) the two at a time magic loop knitting technique!! Oh hallelujah!! no more dreaded second.

Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  6:52:59 PM  Show Profile
Bart, Please share with me what is the two at a time magic loop knitting technique?
Go to Top of Page

JudyT
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Judy
Southwest Wisconsin
USA
196 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  05:16:57 AM  Show Profile
I'm a knitter and I also crochet.

Judy~Farmgirl Sister #599
I was born a city girl, but I'm a "farmgirl" at heart, sharing my life at...http://dailyyarnsnmore.com
Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  08:21:25 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by chick-chick

Bart, Please share with me what is the two at a time magic loop knitting technique?

Well - it's knitting both mittens, socks, sleeves, etc. at the same time on one giant long circular needle. So.. say it's socks - you buy a 60" or longer if you want circular needle with the needle size your pattern calls for and you cast on both socks.

The videos are your best bet for learning it. They're all over the internet. If you're a member of www.ravelry.com you can look up the group "two at a time" (or there are other groups too- and they'll give you a bunch of links.

It's confusing as heck, at first, but becomes very clear once you have the first couple of rows done.
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  5:01:08 PM  Show Profile
I am knitting and learning more and more. Not brave enough for the double points yet tho! Lol! Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Sourceress
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Elisabeth
Thurmont MD
76 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  11:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Sourceress an AOL message  Send Sourceress a Yahoo! Message
I totally have a mental block about socks. It's not the double-points - I've used double points before. It's just..there's something about socks. Maybe it's a subconscious excuse to have to go visit my girlfriend for a weekend so she can hold my hand and walk me through it. I don't know. I have started to knit socks like 4 or 5 times, and always ended up getting stuck and pulling the whole thing out. I'm like that sometimes - some things I pick up like breathing, and other things I just can't wrap my head around for the longest time. My husband really wants a pair of handknitted wool socks, and I would really like to make him one, but..I just can't get past my Sock Block :P.

For those of you feeling nervous about the double points - try making legwarmers or something first - a legwarmer (or an armwarmer, for that matter) is just a sock with no foot on it, for all intents and purposes. If you can do that, you're halfway there ;-)

I mostly knit dishcloths because they're quick and easy and useful, and I can make them when I'm between bigger projects or waiting to afford the yarn for my next project or whatever. I am the Dishcloth Queen, because I make so many dishcloths! I have also made some scarves, and a hat and matching pair of mittens for Galen (they don't fit him anymore, so I'll have to make him some new ones for this winter), and one sweater, which I absolutely love, and which I get compliments on every time I wear it. It's a really basic, easy sweater - it's the "Skully" sweater from "Stitch n' B!tch". Lots and lots of stockinette. A lot of people don't like the monotony of a plain stockinette sweater, but I kind of enjoyed it. It made it possible to sit in front of the TV, put my brain in neutral, and just *knit*, without having to keep stopping to check the pattern. I have really got to make another sweater soon...I've promised sweaters to both my husband and Galen (he wants this one in a book of Fairy Tale knits I got that looks like a chain mail shirt - it was, in fact, the reason I bought the book.)

Anyway, it's late, and I need to go to bed. I'll enthuse about knitting more some other time!

Lis
*the Sourceress*
unschooling mama to
Corwyn (4/99)
and Galen (5/01)
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  10:20:47 AM  Show Profile
Me too! Guilty of knitting! :-)

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Mother Hen to The Knitty Gritty Farmgirls of the Inland Empire
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  7:03:33 PM  Show Profile
I tried to knit socks once, but I barely got started and was confused!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

nelliesue17
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Nellie
PA
USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  04:38:48 AM  Show Profile
I'm a knitter too. Current project is a prayer shawl. Making it for my mom so when she reads on her victorian farm house front porch swing it will keep her warm and give her a hug from me at the same time!

Life is a bowl of beautiful bright berries
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  11:08:24 AM  Show Profile
I'm a knitter. Also on Ravelry... as atkinst2. Been knitting for 52 years.
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  6:39:15 PM  Show Profile
Knitting madwoman here, now working on a lace cardigan with fingers stained from berry picking and canning. I knit cardigans, pullover sweaters & lots and lots of wool socks, 90% of which of are for me. This and Ravelry are the only 2 forums I belong to - any more would take too much time away from my endless projects!

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  09:18:16 AM  Show Profile
And what pattern would you be using for the lace cardigan?? I love to knit lace.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  7:20:55 PM  Show Profile
It's called pretty plumage from Vogue stitchionary 5, I am adapting it in a pattern written for stockinette - If you are on Ravelry email me & I will link you!

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  9:36:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I am on Ravelry but I'll have to see if I can remember my info. Never go there hardly. Too busy with stuff.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

weaverbird
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Anne
Virginia Beach Virginia
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  6:15:34 PM  Show Profile
I'm knitting my very first cable down the front of a sweater! And it looks like a cable!! The first sweater I knit was for my daughter (then five) for Christmas, when I learned the hard way about not binding off a neckline too tightly. I can still hear her saying "ow, Mommy, stop!" Fortunately a much better knitter fixed it for me. She's now 11, and I've only knitted her cardigans and socks since then.
Go to Top of Page

Boisesue
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Susan
Boise ID
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  2:39:33 PM  Show Profile
Me too!.....I'm a knitter and on Ravelry too as BoiseSue

Boisesue
Farmgirl #1731
Go to Top of Page

Jackie Ferri
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Jacqueline
Trumbull CT
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  8:25:43 PM  Show Profile
I too am a knitter. Currently I'm knitting these cloud soft lounging socks for my daughter. Can't wait to finish them, so I can move onto my next project, a scarf with a starburst pattern, using Hemp yarn by Lucci, that I just bought. Didn't I tell myself no more new projects? Don't we all have a stash of unfinished or not started projects at home? Of course my knitting is done between canning, needlepointing, reading, sewing, oh and housework,and many other things!
Happy knitting!

Jackie Farmgirl Sister #1664

Resourceful Creative Organized Mom
Go to Top of Page

reddhedd
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Kate
Lawrenceville Ga
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  2:01:35 PM  Show Profile
New knitter here. I long to do socks, and skirts, and such. I'm on dishcloths, scarves and the like though.

I plan to knit these wrist warmers from Lion..simple rectangle, then stitch up the long sides, leaving a hole for the thumb. Sounds simple enough, right?

"It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato." --Lewis Grizzard
Go to Top of Page

RIgardengirl
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Monique
Woonsocket RI
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  08:53:12 AM  Show Profile
I am a knitter in public...I bring my knitting everywhere. My kids think I am crazy and they are sometimes embarrassed when someone asks me about my knitting. My mom and I have decided (yesterday) that we are going to have a craft night at her house. We are going to start teaching the grandkids how to sew, knit, crochet, etc. Skills that they will need in the future.

The way of cultivation is not easy.
He who plants a garden plants happiness.
- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  6:46:51 PM  Show Profile
huge time knitter, taught myself just over 4 years ago, have since taken up spinning and dyeing as well. Hubby always asks of something is wrong if i happen to be sitting and not knitting. Friends no longer take it personally if i bring knitting to a bbq to do as we chat by the fire, in the car, etc. Just a relaxing habit, kind of my security blankie!

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Gathered Up: Previous Topic any other knitters out there? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page