karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  10:38:51 AM  Show Profile
Knitting-yes! I can remember when they said Grandma's skills were a dying art but boy were they mistaken! I taught my son & daughter how to knit. My daughter still does it but my son won't admit that he ever picked up needles-doesn't think it is macho enough!!!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  12:24:31 PM  Show Profile
I love to knit but I'm self taught and not really great at it. As long as I keep it simple it works out and I have fun, which is the important thing for me. Thank goodness for patterns that look complicated but are really easy. My favorite things to make are baby blankets and scarfs and I'm working on the wrap that was in the MJF magazine a couple of months ago.

Judy

*Love one another*
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  08:13:31 AM  Show Profile
Hey all you Sock Mavens out there...I just got this great new book last night. It's called "Socks a la Carte". It's a flip book! Remember those books we had as kids...well some of us...LOL Anyway, the kind with the pages split into three... I remember dolls, monsters, animals. You could change the pic by change each of the pages. Same idea. There's a cuff, body, and foot of the sock in the split pages with instructions for each "set" (17 cuffs, 20 bodies, 18 feet) in the beginning of the book. Then at the very back there is a gallary of 20 different socks in a variety of Tofutsies colors.

Some of you may have this book already. The coolest thing? I got it in the used section of my bookstore for only 8$ (orig $23).

Lucky for me I have a huge tote bag with sock yarn just waiting to be stitched!!!
Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  5:05:04 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried knitting two socks at once on circular needles. I tried reading through a book about it but it really looks confusing!

Debbie

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  5:33:50 PM  Show Profile
Hey you knitters check out this site http://www.bugknits.com/gallery/garments3.htm. This lady uses wire for knitting needles.
It's really amazing, sweaters smaller than a dime.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

cjeanjellybean
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Cassie Jean
Plant City FL
USA
71 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  6:54:15 PM  Show Profile

I am fairly good at crochet, but have not been able to get the hang of knitting. I tried a kit once, but it used those looped together needles & it was very awkward. Does anyone have a suggestion for a website or book with really nice basic instructions? I'd like to teach my daughters, but I have to learn it first! You all seem very excited about knitting..crochet is a little limiting at times, & doesn't carry the smoothness of many knitted items. Ther are some really precious knitted toys out there! (I've got four little ones...)
Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  2:18:27 PM  Show Profile
Instead of investing in a pricey book right off you could just try buying a knitting magazine off the rack. Knit Simple is pretty good...there are basic knitting instructions in the back of every issue and they usually show hand positions. Just a few tips...practice your casting on for a while until you get used to it and like the way it looks on the needle. Relax...I can't stress that enough. Relax when you cast on so your casts are not so tight that you get frustrated just trying to get them from one needle to the other. Also, when you start knitting again RELAX!!! You don't have to pull every stitch tight...just knit away and soon you will develop a rhythm and your stitches will be smooth and even. And lastly, remember that knitting is a hand craft...it will never be perfect...some stitches will be looser and some will be tighter but that it the charm of hand knitting. If you want it to look perfect you may as well buy a machine knit garment at a store. I'm by no means an expert knitter but I can make respectable socks, mittens, scarves and simple sweaters. If you need some help along the line just drop me a line and I'll be happy to see what I can do. I subscribe to this section so I'll be notified by e-mail whenever a new post is added. Good luck!! Debbie

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

hikerchic
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Stacey
ravenna oh
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  06:59:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh I love seeing all the knitters here! I just started back to college so it will be small projects for me for a while, mittens, scarves, socks. I think the only thing as relaxing as knitting for me is hiking. Combine the to and it's bliss!
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  6:36:19 PM  Show Profile
25 yrs ago I did a ladys hair every Sat in my salon. She would set under the dryer and her needles would fly. I didnt know at the time one project was a wedding gift for me. It was a beautiful afghan I still have. I think of her when I use it to wrap up in on the couch, in the winter' while I knit. She always said I could and I didnt believe her. I think she'd be proud of me knitting now although I am not in her class.
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  08:56:11 AM  Show Profile
I taught myself to knit a few years ago when I suddenly was out of work...and I love it! I adore socks and lace but seem to never have enough time to do what I want. I don't know anyone around here who knits or does any of the crafts I like to do...thank goodness for online crafting buddies!
Catherine
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  06:34:23 AM  Show Profile
hey i guess i'm a little late in finding you-but i knit as well i just love it. i have been trying to teach myself to make socks but with little success. i will my starting another bag here soon-i love felted totes. if anyone knows some good sock suggestions let me know

whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  08:40:25 AM  Show Profile
Mary Jo, I've made quite a few pair of socks...what are you having trouble with?

Debbie

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  11:46:24 AM  Show Profile
do you mean what am i not having trouble with??? i have tried 2 socks on one really long needle- 1 on 2 needles and one on double points- i taught myself how to knit and so i am trying on my own to make socks. maybe i'm just not patient enough or maybe i just need to practice more. i guess i'm just having trouble all together!!

Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  4:06:16 PM  Show Profile
I have a really good pattern that I've used many times I could e-mail to you if you would like...it's for five double pointed needles which sounds daunting but after the first few rows it's really easy. Debbie

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  07:29:20 AM  Show Profile
sure i would be willing to try it- maybe i will finally get it in my thick head. i heard that once your make one it isn't as hard the next time

Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  1:21:45 PM  Show Profile
OK, I'll scan it in tomorrow and send it your way. It's true after you get the first one done and you can see how it all fits together it does get a lot easier. Debbie

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

grammagoose
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

sandy
exeter rhode island
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  07:02:28 AM  Show Profile
I have been knitting for a year and beyond basic I,m never sure. I will be knitting a childs hat on double pointed neddles- a first! I belong to a knitting group that makes all things possible. Many libraries have these groups for free which might be helpful.
Blessings,
Grammagoose
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  5:52:01 PM  Show Profile
thank you for the pattern i'll try it and see what happens. thanks for offer of help too i just might take you up on it-to bad you don't live closer

Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  08:36:42 AM  Show Profile
OOOOH I would love to have an easy sock pattern! Can I get it tooo?????? Please please please! I to have been sock challenged. I can do mittens so I know I should be able to do socks but just haven't been brave enough to try them. Help!

Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  3:13:00 PM  Show Profile
Let me ask you ladies a question, do you have to use the double pointed needles to make socks? Just looking at them gives me a
feeling of UGH!, I thought I was doing pretty good when I started knitting on circular needles for a bag, but five needles
with all those points? UGH!! I've been knitting for a couple of years, simple stuff but now I think I want to try socks
Do you think I'm ready? lol
Liz
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  4:31:06 PM  Show Profile
Socks really aren't that hard and double points just look complex they aren't any harder than any other kind of needle. Just remember not to slide the sts off the back end and you'll do fine. I know there is a technique of knitting them with two super long circular needles but I've never tried it.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Jens Farm
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Jenny
Grand Marais MN
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  6:38:25 PM  Show Profile
I knit also!! I agree with Liz, socks look really scarry!! But the pattern yarn looks so tempting...I'm working on my first sweater for my youngest son. A simple pattern so far. I do all my kniting while I'm on the internet, we have dial-up and sometimes it takes forever to download pages...so I knit...a lot.

Hats off to all our Knitters!!!!

Jenny

Farmgirl Sister #1339
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  08:28:01 AM  Show Profile
I knit too! It is soooooo addicting. I am going to try socks this year!

Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  10:13:33 AM  Show Profile
I enjoy knitting ... I'm just not very good at it LOL!
I mostly make quick things like dishcloths :) . My daughter keeps telling me if I can make a dishcloth that I can move up a bit and make a bag or something. Of course she taught herself to knit and crochet and makes both of them look sooo simple. she's 12!

http://lovelivingsimply.blogspot.com/

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  10:18:05 AM  Show Profile
I have done mittens & such but just haven't taken the time to do a pair of socks yet! Maybe this year!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Gathered Up: Previous Topic any other knitters out there? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page