Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Hypothetical "Career" question...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Hypothetical "Career" question... Next Topic
Page: of 2

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  06:45:07 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Let's say...you HAD to stop doing what you are doing...For example I make soap...it is my passion. But for some reason I couldnt do it any longer...what would I do??? And like my husband always says "everyone has to have their THING they do" - what would you choose? Personally, I would design and make infants/children's clothes. I use to design/sew everything my girls wore. Made my own patterns...flat feld seams/French seams, covered buttons...double hems. Plus I sewed some for the public. Mostly baby dresses and bonnets (my own designs).

Just curious.

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  07:31:16 AM  Show Profile
If I could do anything, and knew I'd make enough to survive, I'd be a writer. Nonfiction stuff, probably, and unfortunately there's not much of a market for that.

Gosh, Susan, you're a gifted woman! I know people who would pay large sums of money for children's clothing with the features you listed. Did you enjoy doing that?

I don't know of any real "gifts" that I have. I tend to be able to do lots of things just well enough and nothing really well. It doesn't really bother me, though, except now when I'm trying to figure out a marketable skill that would allow me to do something from home.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  07:40:30 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Not gifted...well trained. My mother's sister and my paternal grandmother both taught me to sew. I started sewing when I was about 6. I learned on a tredle machine that I still have. My daughter Rachel also loves to sew! She recently bought a dress form.

Don't say you dont do things well...maybe you havent found what you LOVE to do. And even if you love it doesnt mean you will do it naturally...like sewing...that takes training.

You should maybe look further into the writing thing...there very well maybe a market out there for you.

Susan

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  07:49:11 AM  Show Profile
Susan
Don't be taking on a new career until I get my soap.HA
If you really love sewing, you could do both, go like crazy and spend two weeks on soap, then two weeks on sewing, then you could sell both, TA DA!! I need a couple long skirts anyway.
Speaking of soap, did you get the order I e'mailed you on Monday,because one more hour and the special is over.
In fact maybe doing some sewing while you are recovering would be a good idea.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  07:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
just sent you and email!!

Susan

Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  08:00:38 AM  Show Profile
If I couldn't farm full time I'd write full time. And vice versa. Right now I farm full time and write part time. If I ever can't have a market garden and greenhouses will someone please just toss me in the compost pile and put me out of my misery? =)

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  08:31:02 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm, If I no longer had my day job …. then my farm would be full-time employment.

I’d go far and wide to promote our farm tours, get the farm store built (with a demonstration room/classroom on back). In the store, we would sell our various farm produce: herbs, vegetables, meats, eggs, raw milk & honey. Of course there would be our farm crafts: milk soaps & lotions, hand-spun yarns, weavings, fiber, blacksmithed items …

But until the kids are out of the house & hubby has medical insurance, I’ll have to keep doing the above part-time …. Now if I can just find time to squeeze in basket making!!

Cyndi
Say NO! to National Animal ID
http://www.NoNAIS.org
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Illinois_Against_NAIS

Joshua 24:15

Muller's Lane Farm
http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  08:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
If I had to quit what I do now (Glorified Travel Agent)and could afford to I would stay home and take care of my hopfully soon to animals and Garden. I also quilt to so I would make quilts and sell them. When Dear other half and I have kids I will stay home and hopefully by that time we can afford that.

Valerie
Alaska Girl all the way
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Go to Top of Page

rosebud74a
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Stacy
Maryland NY
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  09:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Send rosebud74a an AOL message
If I could jump out of the rat race and if reimbursment was not an issue I would see patients at my house in the mornings five days a week and all day two days a week. The rest of the time I would tend to my miniture farm which I would open to touirsts on the weekends. My farmers market would be open every day run by my secretary who would schedule appts and keep my clinic running. I think I would also have a consigment type farmers market and sell things for local farmers. In my spare time I would like to finish writing my non fiction novel which is only a page long at this point...lol. As you can see i haven't put much thought into this ..lol

Stacy

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt, 'This Is My Story,' 1937

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  09:33:04 AM  Show Profile
I would love to have a small CSA. That has always been a dream of mine..with a little farm store too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  10:40:35 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
thanks susan for making me think. I am a teacher by trade but now sit behind a stupid desk which i hate more and more everyday. i hope that the new shoppe and garden are what i have always wanted to do. i never had anyone teach me things like sewing and cooking and gardening which is why its taken me so long to finally get this done. it's funny when i think back on the day that I first picked up MJ's book and how much my life has changed. Much that I have learned has been through all of you. What amazing women you all are.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  12:26:15 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Hmmm...well, in my "current life" I'd be a certified teacher instead of an instructional assistant. (My "goal" is that anyway, probably will go back to take some classes in the Fall.)

In my "dream" life, I'd live on about 10 acres with a big B&B and a small pond. I'd have a couple of horses, ducks, chickens, sheep, goats, rabbits, a milk cow and a steer every year. I'd have a big garden, fruit trees of all kinds, and a beautiful flower garden. I would sew, knit, can produce, and sell all kinds of things like that. On the side, I would write childrens' books.

But, my husband is in the ministry and there aren't many youth pastors who are also farmers. LOL And God has placed us in suburbia, so my ten acres would cost us about a million dollars---that's not going to happen on a youth pastor's budget! haha So, I've learned to be content in "whatsoever state I am"...and enjoy my life. Working with kids and teenagers, it's something I would have a hard time leaving too!

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  2:18:38 PM  Show Profile
Okay, since we're dreaming, I would like to have a small cafe/coffee & tea shop. I would have one or two homemade soups each day with fresh herbs, interesting sandwiches and a beautiful relaxing atmosphere. I would have a section with local crafts for sale and a section with gently used books for sale. It would be hard work and maybe I wouldn't make much money, but so much more rewarding then sitting at a desk and being stressed out. I like to make things nice for people and take good care of them. It sure would be a pleasant change.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  5:15:52 PM  Show Profile
Susan, I've had to hold a lot of "survival" jobs in my past 34 years (started working at 16, yep, I'm sixty next week) and now I'm lucky enough to be able to earn a living (small tho it may be) by doing just the readings, which I adore doing. It's great to not have to supplement with survival stuff.

Now, I'm launching my own line of children's clothes called Bebe Couture and Vintage Bebe Couture. My own designs and using real vintage patterns (some go back to the 20s!) They can be a challenge but it's a kick, too! This satisfies the artist in me and I'm having a ball. I just hope I sell some so I can continue to justify making them!

I learned a long time ago that if you really want to do something, especially creative things, you must do it - even if it's only in your "spare" time. You must nurture your dreams.

I wish everybody much good luck in all their ventures! We are such a creative and diverse group!

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  5:38:02 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Funny how i just wrote in earlier about hating my job, or should I say my old job. At the end of my work day I was called in the conference room and told I was on suspension for missing work this past Monday. My 4 year old was sick so I stayed home. Well as far as I am concerned if they don't understand that then I will work elswhere, or as sweet susan said to me, no more soap for them ! hee hee. so maybe my dream of my own shoppe just got alot closer. maybe this is the push I needed. I was actually told i should bring him to sick daycare, I personally have a problem with this. If my child is sick he needs to be home with his mom in his own bed! besides, they don't pay me enough to afford "sick daycare" which is like 50.00 a day around here.
So thanks Susan for reminding me that I can do this and that I have your support. Granola anyone?
Tomorrow I will be sewing and working on dolls etc. Please be sure to check my etsy account this weekend cause I will probably need the dough! You never know.... might just tell them to take their job and shove it!

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  06:32:38 AM  Show Profile
well .. since i'm RETIRED .. would i have to give THAT up?

my "job" now is to PLAY! do i have to give THAT up?

i think if i HAD TO do something ELSE now .. i'd choose for honey hunk and i to be a 'war correspondents/photographers' .. and write of those adventures!

YEP! that's the truth .. i'd really do that!

o.k. .. hmmmmmmmm .. maybe my sugars are low and i'm thinkin' CRAZY right now .. but 'in my youth' i used to think how adventuresome it would be to travel to these countries and write 'the peoples' stories .. i WOULD TRY to be very fair to everyone.

but with that said .. let me SHOUT: GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  09:15:51 AM  Show Profile
Beth,

"When one door closes...." It's so sad that in this day and age, we are still made to feel guilty for staying home with sick children. We go in sick so that we can use days for our kids. Too much guilt. Anyway - what is the url (is that the right term?) for your etsy account? Will check it out.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Northerngal
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Gale
Iowa
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  09:53:26 AM  Show Profile
Patti, since you are a teacher, have you ever thought about private tutoring? Sort of like that large chain of centers that are only in big cities, cost an arm and a leg for your kids to go to, but your center would have a personal touch and be more affordable? If you came up with some sort of seminar for kids to take before the ACT / SAT that would improve their test scores, that would probably be profitable. Just a few ideas, anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Northerngal
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Gale
Iowa
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  10:23:48 AM  Show Profile
Back to the original question, which is a good one by the way. I used to think all I ever wanted to do was be an architect. Now in the middle of the thirties decade and having worked for a couple architects, this is not how I want to spend the rest of my life. So, I'm going to night school for a bachelor's degree in accounting. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd end up doing this. It's not the career of my dreams, but I know it will be a better living than doing CAD drafting and will help me get to wherever is next. Going to class is much more enjoyable at this age. For one of my classes we had to draw up a complete business plan for a business we would start. Not only did I learn a lot from this, but it was a lot of fun. Somehow putting everything down on paper, including the projected financials, makes you realize a lot of things may not work. And I had several business ideas. Coming up with the ideas is never a problem for me, so maybe someday I'll find the right one to pursue.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  1:35:45 PM  Show Profile
My passion is horses. I walk/talk/eat/sleep/live/breathe horses. I've been a horseshoer, a trainer, and a college instructor, all about horses. If I couldn't do horses anymore, I have a hard time imagining it, but I'd probably just garden my brains out, enjoy the woods and wild places, and enjoy my dogs. And fool with my house, maybe get a real estate license, etc. I'm good at sales, but I dislike cold calls.

I've been lucky in that there was only a very brief time in my life where I ever had to work, and that was before I met my husband. We've had some tight times, but we agreed to having a full time parent many years ago. I've never had to work since, although I've taken jobs I've enjoyed.

Yeah, I guess gardening would be my passion. It still is, but it sits in the shadows of a much larger passion.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  3:08:17 PM  Show Profile
If I had my dream job.... I would start businesses, get them off the ground, then let other people run them, making huge profits, which I would gladly share with them! LOL.

I get bored doing any one thing. I enjoy designing clothes and knitting them on my knitting machine but know if I was tied to it for 40 hours a week I would soon hate it.

I like making jellies and jams - but just enough to give for gifts at Christmas. If I had to do it all the time I would be fed up with the hot steamy kitchen and how long it takes and how little profit there is....

Same with gardening - I love it- but if I had to make a living at it I would probably end up with a crop failure, because I would miss a spraying or weed-pulling at a critical time because I would be too busy doing something else.

I love sewing but when my neighbor asked me to make her an apron it took me two months to finally get it done!

I like people - except when I prefer to be alone....

I guess I like my current job because it is something different every couple of years. I am in information technology/project management and things change fast enough that I have already had to re-invent my career several times. Of course that means I am always training for something new... good thing I like to read!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  1:53:12 PM  Show Profile
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I used to think I wanted to work for 'BIG Business' climbing up the corporate ladder. Well in a way I did, I'm a direct report to the VP and Treasurer of a large company and now that I've seen it at the top. NO THANKS. I have a great boss but the rest of it? I don't know why he does it.
Lately, I've been craving my 'Nature fix' and I'd like to work with kids. We won't be having any kids and by working with them I'd still get to feel like they were mine in a way. I don't want to work in a 'traditional' school setting but I would like to be able to teach them about nature or at least introduce them to it. But how to do that and survive financially? Hubby is a cop and he doesn't get paid very well, I make most of the money. I'm trying to cut back on things now so we can get out of debt and then maybe I'll be able to seriously try to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.
Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2006 :  2:56:44 PM  Show Profile
Right now I work at a small local fabric store. Some days I love it and some days I hate it. But mostly it makes me spend way too much cash, lol. and I make pillows for someone, weekly.

I love to sew but I find that I have trouble making just one thing for any length of time it bores me after a while

I love to cook but that can get boring also, I know sounds weird.

I have always wanted my own store front. I have talked about this many times with my daughter. What we both came up with is our dream store.....
Home made clothing and accessories, etc. We would carry used well loved books, used vintage clothing, shoes etc. And also have a small seated area for coffee, tea, and possibly soup, pasta, cookies,.... lets face it nothing would be them same twice unless we felt like making it again and as far as the food goes it would be whatever we felt like making the night before or that morning.

Does any of this make sense to ya'll??
Go to Top of Page

hammondfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julie
New Caney Texas
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2006 :  6:20:58 PM  Show Profile
I would love to give up my corporate job it is very stressfull. I want to have a small shop somewhere.

Best Regards,
Julie

Hammond Farm
www.hammondfarm.com
People Tested Goat Approved, tm
Go to Top of Page

rockinhorse
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Robin
yucca valley Ca
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  9:41:50 PM  Show Profile  Send rockinhorse an AOL message  Send rockinhorse a Yahoo! Message
I would become a horse breeder. When I nolonger work my day job.. I wish I had the talent all of you have. I am starting to sew again, and I want a garden (desert preditors are the problem last year) But if I could no longer work as a phlebotomist I would do full time equine breeding and Embrio transfer. I love putting the perfect foul on the ground.. heehhee. long time goal learn to embroider.

Happiness must be grown in one's own garden!
Go to Top of Page

hennessy
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Melissa
Minnesota
USA
19 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  7:16:55 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to take the old barn on my property and remodel it into a Bed & Breakfast. I'd use natural products and serve food from my garden and from local producers. I'd have local musicians out to play around a bonfire and display works from local artists. Oh, it's so fun to dream...

If you lived in your heart, you'd be home by now.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Hypothetical "Career" question... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page