Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Hypothetical "Career" question...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Hypothetical "Career" question... Next Topic
Page: of 2

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  7:52:52 PM  Show Profile
We're dreaming, right? I'm a nurse and have been for more than 30 years but I do lots of other things on the side. I love to sew and quilt but I don't like to make the same thing over and over again(I think somebody else said that) I get bored and need to move on to something else. I do like to custom make wedding dresses, christening gowns, prom dresses, etc. for people. That's a challenge. I work at a quilt shop 1 day a week and learned to run the longarm quilt machine there. That's fun but I don't really like to quilt quilts for other people. Love to do my own though and I have plenty! I work for fabric(no kidding). I love to garden and raise lots of flowers. I've also worked as a caterer, and still do from time to time but I really prefer smaller groups.

So what do I want to be when I grow up? I want to raise organic herbs and flowers to sell and have a B&B. Maybe have a few chickens. Today I am one step closer to that dream. We'll be moving to our new-old house on 6.6 acres next week. It's just about perfect...location, 100 year old farmhouse, big yard, out-buildings and a creek running through it. PLUS a big place for my DH to park that semi and all his trailers and build his new shop.

Debbie from Rathdrum....I think you and I could go into business together =~)

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  09:45:44 AM  Show Profile
Marcia,

Gosh, I'm the same as some of you. I love to sew and craft but I too get bored making the same things over and over. I guess we should go into biz together. Are you on the east or west part of WA? I even forget about some of the things I've made. Last week, when I was back east, my sil commented that my other sil had the same jewelry bag as she did and that I had made it. I had to go into the bedroom and check it out - and sure enuf, I had. I can't even remember when I made them! I'm not that old! Anyway - I thought hmmm, maybe I'll make some more of those.

I love fabric too. In fact, met an uncle of dh's last week that is some kind of renowned quilter and fabric artist. He lives in Dallas area and is gonna send me some vintage lace. Yippee.

I like the fact that we have so many old timey and craft and gardening,etc, interests.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  11:22:59 AM  Show Profile
Eastern WA.....120 miles south of Spokane. Not that far away from you. Two of my kids live in Spokane so we get up there fairly often.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  1:50:31 PM  Show Profile
Marcia,

Will you be able to go to the farm fair this year? I am going with either a couple of friends or dh if the friends can't go. Since it's 4th of July weekend, a lot of folks go camping.

Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  4:39:36 PM  Show Profile
I would write - probably children's books of wonder that also included a craft of some kind that would teach them to be creative.

Each time I read a bio on the bookjacket of an author that says, - she lives in Maine (or California, etc.) and writes from her home, I always feel so much that I would love to do that, too!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  7:50:53 PM  Show Profile
Yes Debbie, I'm going to try to go. I took a friend and went last year and we had a good time.

Marcia

Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - May 14 2006 :  9:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
If I could do anything I wanted I would hold workshops for crafts, cooking, gardening, and creating for children and women (men too if they were intrested) to share the simple ways of life. I would love to not see handcrafting become extinct. It's amazing how many young people do not know how to cook, garden or create. How many older people need the companinship of others who do those things.

Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  3:26:48 PM  Show Profile
Betty Jo,

That would be wonderful. The things you mentioned are the things that make me most happy. Well, that and dancing. And there are so many older people who I think would be happy to teach and share with us.

Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  07:08:37 AM  Show Profile
I would have a much bigger farm house and more land - greedy ain't I? I would be totally involved in an herbal business, plants, products and I would teach classes to those wanting to learn. Plus I would make SOAP lol
And I would run a wildlife rehab and a no kill shelter for cats most definately.

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  08:51:21 AM  Show Profile
Patricia.........I am going to be a pseudo grandmother this summer and I would love to buy something really original for the baby. Let me know what you would think of that???? \
As for a job. I am a secretary for a Teachers union right now and the personality conflicts going on right now in my small office are making me sick to my stomach, so I've been thinking of what else I could do. I have absolutely no talents........I have sewn a little, crocheted a little....tried knitting a tank top and that didn't go so well....have taken photos for a living, but don't want to be staff photographer anymore.....I love gardening, but at 51.......what can I do with that? My personality is such (VERY shy!!) that I could never run a B&B.........aaaaaaaaKKKKKK!! I'm stuck!!

"We need the tonic of wildness, to wade sometimes in marshes where the bittern and the meadow-hen lurk..." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  08:50:06 AM  Show Profile
I am opening a farm store and CSA, and love it, but I'd love to sell my pen & ink and watercolor artwork and write regency novels! If I could get the store up and running, and leave it for hubby and the kids to take over, that's what I'd do! :)

Stacked Stone Farm
feel free to follow my blog: www.stackedstonefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  09:24:01 AM  Show Profile
I'm enjoying reading all the posts as to what dreams would be. I have been retired 2 years and enjoy my time at home...in and out. Being a retired RN, I always enjoyed my profession caring for people. Too often I would see lonely patients...visitors none, family maybe coming for a few minutes...and the stoicism that patients would take to just "buck up." My time with patients was precious for me...and hopefully for them. It was a time, they could relate stories of their past, their families etc. SO...what I would like to be is a historian for the old...before they are gone. It seems that these stories are a way for some to be "remembered"...by someone. I think I would have one of those blank books, and I would allow them to tell me their stories. Hopefully, someone in their family would love it and appreciate that each had a life, from little boo-boos scraping their knees at the creek outside the house, to climbing Rainier or Denali..and how they felt. Anyway..that is what I would do.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Hypothetical "Career" question... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page