coconutcakes
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Emily
Summerfield NC
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  2:20:31 PM  Show Profile
Does anybody here do your own tomato cages? Got any advice as I am about to launch on such a project myself? The best height? The best gauge of mesh? Any advice would help!

In the past, I've just done stakes, but we've moved to a location where the deer like to get a hold of my just vine-ripened tomatoes. (Can't tell you how frustrating it was to go out to my garden last summer, see an almost perfect tomato but put picking off until the next day. . . and the next day, the tomato had vanished or there as a bite taken out of it! And of course, the deer prints in the soil. . . )

Thanks,
Emily

"After a long period abroad nothing could make me more homesick or emotional than an American magazine ad of a luscious layer cake, except one, and that was a pictured lemon pie." Irma Rombauer, Joy of Cooking (1943)

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  2:43:41 PM  Show Profile
I can tell you about my tomato cages, but don't know if they are deer-proof. I use cement reinforcement wire. It's 5' high and I think the squares are 6"x6". I cut off a length of 11 squares just before the next verticle wire, then roll that wire length into a circle, and use the protruding fence wire to bend it over the verticle end wire to secure the circle from top to bottom. I do use this kind of cage on my fruit trees also to keep the deer out because deer don't like to stick their heads inside anything wire. Many of my trees have branches that stick outside the wire chewed off, but not inside the cage - so the tree has a chance to at least grow UP before it gets chewed DOWN. I stake all cages with a t-post so wind and storms don't knock them over as my tomato plants grow up and over the tops of the 5' cages (the tomato fruits will be well inside - usually next to the tomato stem). Everyday, as the plants are growing, I push any outside tomato plant parts inside the cages (and as the plant flowers, I rattle/shake the cages daily to pollinate the flowers). Good luck.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  05:44:35 AM  Show Profile
I use soft mesh like fencing. It comes in rolls of various lengths and I unroll it around wooden stakes that are placed in the ground and tie it with string. After my tomatoes are done, I untie it, roll it up again until the next time it is needed. It has been very effective in keeping out racoons and rabbits and birds, but I have not had deer. However, if they do not like to stick their heads in places, this mesh like fencing would work. I even put it across the top for the birds to stay away. It is light weight and easy to store.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

HorseyNut
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Allena
MO
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  07:26:54 AM  Show Profile
Emily,
You could just stake your tomatoes then make a chicken wire round enclosure to protect them. Another option that you could use is to make a smaller garden for critters that is more secluded. If you plant clover for example along the edges of wooded areas deer prefer to eat that to tomatoes and such because they can feel safer.

Another idea is my old favorite electric fencing. I use 1/4 white electric tape. It is cheap to put up and once something has been zapped it will STAY AWAY completely. It is highly visable so the deer may jump it ten times before they touch it but once they do they will stay away and not go near it again. You can tie strips of cloth on the posts to attract their attention so they get a zapp that way. I use this mostly to keep my horses in but I have fond that the deer stay out.

I would try planting some good forage along any tree lined or brushy areas if you have any. You can buy grass mixes that are for deer usually hunters plant it because the deer like it so much they establich a eating pattern. But this really works, I've never had much trouble with deer and I think it's because I always lived somewhere that had yummy clover in a safe spot. Deer only get brave when they don't have that really lush forage. Anyway it's an idea. rabbits also really like clover.

Also you might try noise to deter them. If you tie plasic walmart type sacs all around it makes enough noise in the breeze that they can't hear well so they won't feel safe and will leave. Over time they will quit coming.

One other thing you could do if you have one, is take your dog around your garden to potty on the paremeter or you can do this yourelf if it is private enough (or use a cup) Do it in the evenings so it will be fresh. Or you can saturate strips of cloth and tie them every ten feet or so. The deer smell it and think you are still there. Also keeping your dog tied by the garden for a night or two will deter them. They are really shy and you should be able to discourage them.

I think if you plant an alternative food plot and put the urine out you can easily elimate the source instead of trying to keep everything safe. These are all the tricks I know that work. I hope some of this helps.

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do...but how much love we put in that action. - Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

coconutcakes
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Emily
Summerfield NC
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  11:35:42 AM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies for the great ideas and advice! Another reason I wanted to do cages this year was to avoid having to tie my leggy tomato plants to the stakes constantly, and I had difficulty finding tall enough stakes. I'd even tried the method where you weave twine down the row of staked tomato plants at 1 foot height intervals, and that drove me batty too.

And for awhile, I tried to tell myself, "Oh you've planted plenty for you and the critters. They've gotta eat too." But I guess it's hard not to be stingy with a ripe tomato!

Thanks y'all! I think I'm going to use a variation on the wire cages. And you know, I'm not going to tell my husband, but I'm going to do try the urine strips of cloth. The good news, my closest neighbor is putting in a garden, and maybe, just maybe the deer will like his garden better. I noticed he was putting it fairly close to their path. . . Bad,bad me!

Emily

"After a long period abroad nothing could make me more homesick or emotional than an American magazine ad of a luscious layer cake, except one, and that was a pictured lemon pie." Irma Rombauer, Joy of Cooking (1943)
Go to Top of Page

coconutcakes
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Emily
Summerfield NC
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2006 :  11:28:03 AM  Show Profile
I just wanted to update y'all on how I decided to do the tomato cages. . . Using galvanized fencing mesh (5'x (6 or) 7', with 2"x4" openings), I'm just forming a cylindrical cage. I'm going to have to cut out some mesh here and there to get bigger openings for harvesting the tomatoes. I couldn't find any 6' tall fencing mesh, so 5' will have to work. I'm going to put the cages over the tomatoes, sinking the cage down into the soil. Then I'll stake the cage on two sides and use twine or plastic ties to secure the cage to the stakes (to prevent cages from blowing over). Hopefully, that'll work.

Emily

Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2006 :  10:15:24 PM  Show Profile
I think it will work beautiful. Can almost taste those tomatoes now!

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  12:17:37 PM  Show Profile
Emily
About 8 years ago we made concrete wire cages and we are still using them. We stake ours with rebar so when the plants get tall and heavy they will still stand. If your plants stay inside your cages deer will not reach there noses in to eat tomatoes. So the plasic mesh probably is not necessry. If you ever want to see our cages and farm email me (I'm probably only 35 miles from you)
The garlic lady

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Tomato Cages! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page