happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2006 :  10:08:47 AM  Show Profile
What irks me most about this entire situation is that the CEO of Exon Mobil made $133,000 per *DAY* last year, according to the corporation's reports to shareholders. Their profit was over $30 billion!

I'm tired of hearing how much they are paying per barrel of oil, like the gas companies are taking a beating or something. I generally do not believe in lots of government intervention, etc., but I think it's time for the Justice Department or someone along those lines to launch an investigation into this whole situation.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2006 :  10:31:41 AM  Show Profile
While salaries in that range may seem excessive, so are the responsibilities of guiding a business that big. Much of the current profits are going into R&D, and they have to figure out how to compete with China. Their middle class is exploding, and their fuel needs are growing exponentially along with their manufacturing. Competition with China for barrels of oil is pushing prices up right now.
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2006 :  1:12:01 PM  Show Profile
Kay,

I think the reason that Canadian oil is so expensive is that it is oil mixed up in tar sands. It is a large reserve, but the oil is more diffficult and costly to extract than middle eastern oil. The oil is also of lesser quality, therefore it doesn't travel by pipeline very well, which is the cheaper way to transport. It also requires more processing to be ready for the internal combustion engine. That accounts for the reason it is more expensive.
Go to Top of Page

Northerngal
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Gale
Iowa
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2006 :  3:12:52 PM  Show Profile
A few weeks ago my boyfriend and I were watching his favorite TV show,"Trucks." They showed how to make your very own bio diesel. I'm not sure exactly how much it cost, but I think the parts were around $200 and if you or someone you know is handy with a wrench, it didn't look all that hard to install. Anyway here's the link if anyone's interested and wants to try to make diesel from restaurant grease. If anyone tries this or does more research on it, please start a post about your results and findings.

www.truckstv.com/ingear.aspx?iid=5674&tid=6

Go to Top of Page

Northerngal
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Gale
Iowa
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2006 :  3:18:10 PM  Show Profile
Ok, here's another link to where you can actually buy the parts. It looks like it's almost $3,000 for everything. Hmmm.... how long would that take to pay for itself if the average tank of gas cost $50. Well, if you saved $40 per tank, it would take 75 tankfulls. Might be worth it to check into one of the seminars.

www.biodieselsolutions.com/home/home.asp
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2006 :  08:22:14 AM  Show Profile
Gas is 3.09 per gallon today, luckily I live 5 min from work. My paycheck should go up as much as the gas does!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2006 :  08:43:45 AM  Show Profile
2.68 here right now...but 3 cents cheaper at least in the next town..sometimes there is as much as a 10 cents difference 7 miles away.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  08:16:57 AM  Show Profile
2.73 down here this morning. Boy, do I wish I lived in a bicycle-friendly distance area (that is, if I wasn't 6 months pregnant!!!)

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  09:29:24 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

It is $2.99 in my little rural Texas town today. I have 2 oil wells and numerous gas wells on my road, but I guess it's all going far away! (lol)

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Kate Talley
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2006 :  3:34:28 PM  Show Profile
Here is Salt Lake City the gas is about 2.70-2.85. Last year after the hurricanes, my family and I decided we would stop driving places that we can walk. I wasted lots of gas on running around, and I would go to the store just for a thing or two. Now, we walk to school, friends homes, church, library. I go to Costco every two weeks, and have my DH pick up whatever fresh fruits and vegs on his way home. I use half the gas I used to. In our modern society we are just used to driving! Try it! It does take some extra time and planning, but it is great to walk.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Northerngal
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Gale
Iowa
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2006 :  6:59:30 PM  Show Profile
Gas has gone down three cents a gallon here. It's $2.72 a gallon now.
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  09:37:13 AM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
Just a little update gas is 3.17 a gallon here now. What is it everywhere else?

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  10:21:48 AM  Show Profile
Gas in my area is about $2.89 per gallon. I had a rude shock when I went to a friends big birthday bash this weekend on an island just off the Seattle and the price of gas was $3.49 a gallon for regular. I didn't get gas before I left home and needed a few gallons to get home. DH had a lot to say about it.

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Outpost: Previous Topic Coping With High Fuel Costs Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page