Northerngal
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Gale
Iowa
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  04:52:55 AM  Show Profile
I wasn't quite sure what forum this belongs in, so if it needs moved somewhere else, that's fine.

What is the price of mid-grade gasoline where you live? It has reached $2.45 a gal. here in Iowa. In Iowa, the mid-grade has ethanol in it. Thank heaven for all that corn, or our gas prices would be higher!

I try to drive less, so that is my way of coping with the prices. Luckily I have a job here in town, so I don't have to drive a long distance to work. These prices sure are hard on people who have to drive a long way to work, or small businesses that depend on driving as part of their way to earn revenue.

Talking with someone in class last night who works for an oil company, it sounds like we could see $4.00 a gal. gas in the not too distant future.

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  09:58:07 AM  Show Profile
Gale,

We were up to $2.52 the other day. I don't know what it is today! I have an economy car, but dh's pickup is costing a small fortune!

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  10:37:06 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Our "low-grade" gasoline is about $2.60-2.70 right now...UGH! I keep saying I'm going to get a horse. LOL

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  11:14:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
Our low grade is around the $2.75 range. My DF and I live rather close to work, but this weekend decided that a scooter to run errands on around town (that gets 70-80 mpg) will be our next investment. I'm kind of excited to run to the farmer's market to fill up my little milk crate with goodies!

http://farmaspirations.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  11:38:19 AM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
Our gas price right now is 2.83 for low grade and i have to drive 20 mile round trip to work. It is really hard becasue i have to drive and suv type car with 4 wheel drive to get in and out of my drive way in the winter and spring. Dear other half has and big 3/4 ton truck that really hurts to fill up.

Valerie
Alaska Girl all the way
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  1:12:41 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

Good Morning America had a feature on this today, and the economist said that gas prices would reach $3.00/gallon shortly.

Our gas is about the same as Dallas---$2.57-$2.79/gallon for "regular". The lowest prices are available at a Wal Mart and an Albertson's that are having a price war. Albertson's is selling ethanol as of 4/1/06.

These prices are high, but Americans have been very spoiled for years. Europeans have always dealt with these high prices; this is why they have excellent mass transit. I believe that this is the route that our country will have to take.

I drive 90 miles rt daily in a Volvo stationwagon that was paid for years ago. Don't want to think about what I will have to do when the old Volvo wears out!!! I won't sell my farm, and I have a good job so I guess that I will just have to budget a lot of $$$ for auto expenses. I have already begun staying home on Sunday, as a rule, simply because I want to save $$$$.

There is no chance that we will have mass transit in my rural area in the near future (10 years)!!!

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Northerngal
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Gale
Iowa
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  09:10:21 AM  Show Profile
Well, as of yesterday, we are now at $2.59 a gallon. Just before I go on vacation, too. Sigh.
I agree with you Connie, that mass transit will eventually have to come about. I wish we had more of a nationwide train system like they do in Europe. Looked into traveling by Amtrak for my vacation, but they only go to a few places. Ok, I'll admit it, part of it is nostalgia. I've never ridden on a train, but have heard my Dad talk about traveling cross country by passenger train when he was a young man, so it sort of sounds like a romantic way to travel. Katee, at least with a horse, you get the benefit of free fertilizer for the garden!!
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  12:35:05 PM  Show Profile
Gas is $2.79 here. I think that it will cause many cuts in other areas.
Folks have to get to work to pay the bills, so they will just cut the extras!!
I already had cut my "weekend" trips to only twice a month instead of once a week.
I will just cut them to once a month as the prices increase.
I only drive 20 miles round trip a day to work, but it still adds up.
I really feel for those that have 100 mile round trips

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  12:49:48 PM  Show Profile
I've seen gas prices up to $2.99 a gal for low test! Even our "lowest" place is up to 2.79. Having a manual transmission sure helps, but it's still a high price to pay. I was at the pump next to a HUGE suv and was sure glad when I filled my tank alot sooner (and cheaper than theirs.) Makes me glad I have my ford focus wagon aka the "haywagon". It's true that we've been getting off cheaply compared to Europe - but it's still hard to take. I think the scooter idea is great!

Lovin' my life
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  2:11:51 PM  Show Profile
Some in the industry are saying that before the end of '07 we'll be at $4.00/gal. Which means EVERYTHING will be going up. Heating cost, food cost, electricity. You name it, it'll be affected.
This is so ridiculous!
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2006 :  6:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello,
Looking across the street at the gas station it says $2.89 for low grade. At present I work three miles away but will shortly be moving 30 miles away to the country. I am looking for a closer job and riding my motorcycle more. Thank goodness my hubby in the next 2 months will only have to walk down 14 steps to work. I wish the goverment would spend some money to produce a fuel that would decrease our dependency on oil from foreign countries. Then maybe our troops could come home.

Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2006 :  8:34:11 PM  Show Profile
Dh and I decided that one night this week we're going to figure out the cost per gallon of some of our luxury items, like his big gulp sodas and my bottled (and sugary, I'm sure) juices. We're going to start cutting as many items as possible that are more expensive than gasoline and work our way down. We figured if we turned it into a contest of sorts, of getting down to items below the cost of gas, it would be a little more fun.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2006 :  10:59:28 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

I read an article that discussed the fact that our petroleum-based society is not just impacted by fuel costs but also by the constant use of plastics in our society. I guess that I knew this but had not given it much thought. I was horrified when I considered how much plastic I use in my daily life--take out drinks, plastic bags at the grocery, packaging on products!
I am beginning to examine all of my habits carefully-from type of product, to manufacturer. to shipping costs, to shopping thrift stores, to conserving my fuel. It is 100 degree today in Texas, but I did not turn on the ac. We were hot but survived with fans. And have also stopped driving on Sunday--never thought that I could do it, but I am really enjoying staying home in the country and not even driving the 5 miles into town!!

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  07:55:50 AM  Show Profile
As far as saving on fuel goes, try bicycling for trips under five miles. You would be surprised how quickly you can get used to biking for errands. Last summer, my hubby and I took our honeymoon trip to India. We bicycled between cities, carrying our supplies on our bikes. To train for this trip, we started doing our errands by bike on the weekends in suburbia, and going out on long rides also. Our longest day we ended up riding in India was 65 miles in one day in the blazing heat. It was tough but we made it. Of course, this would not be a daily commute of 65 miles. But you would be surprised how quickly you can build up to trips of 5 or 10 miles and really not have it take that long.
My husband will be taking a new job in town soon, and he can't wait to be able to bike to work every day (5 miles roundtrip).
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  07:57:48 AM  Show Profile
Forgot to put this in my previous post, but in many countries around the world, people routinely ride their bicycles to work. In india and amsterdam, there were thousands of people every day, in all kinds of weather riding their bicycles right along with traffic.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  09:55:26 AM  Show Profile
For those rides where the distance is a bit too long for bikes, mopeds are nice. We had one where we used to live, and it was dirt cheap to use. We also have bikes, although where we live isn't safe for bikes. The roads are way too fast. We have to haul our bikes to bike trails for the most part. They're very nice, though; and I can easily cover fifteen miles in an hour, as long as the terrain isn't very hilly.

Gas here is about $2.89. In closer to the city it's over $3. Hubby now goes sixty miles each way to work (120 miles round trip) per day. He bought a Prius, and in his use averages about 50mpg. I'll be getting him another one later this year, and taking over his. I also have to have a truck to tow my horses, and I'll tell you, it's a sticker shock to fill that thing up! Last trip to the pumps cost over sixty bucks, and gas was even lower then. It really bites.

We've always combined trips, partly from economy of money, and economy of time. We're far from everything out here. We've never had air conditioning, and we set our thermostat at 68. We used to be much better at avoiding packaging, generating only about a bag of trash a month. Now it's about three a week. I'm not canning like I used to, nor do I burn much anymore. Since I burn manure and bedding (we generate FAR more than I could ever put on a garden!) I might start putting a few appropriate things out there.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  09:58:05 AM  Show Profile
I think everybody is aware by now that oil is only going to keep rising in price, and that someday (almost certainly within my lifetime) we are simply going to run out, and our way of life will change drastically.

I hate to bring this up, but I'm starting to wonder whether the "move out to the country" trend is really the best way to go.
In the event of a long-term, drastic energy crisis I suppose being a totally self-sufficient working farm would be a pretty good lifestyle. But during these transitional years, people who are farming part time or for fun, and still maintaining a commute to work and on on-the-grid lifestyle will be getting the worst of the rising energy costs.
Plus, extending supply lines for water and electric further out into the country for new homes just adds to the burden on our municipal systems. I've always - and I mean ALWAYS - wanted to live in the country, so it really pains me to think like this.
Am I being realistic, or not?
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  10:31:40 AM  Show Profile
I don't know about other areas, but as far as the utility situation goes, it's not a burden on municipal systems. In the county we're moving into, only a few towns have "city" water; everyone outside the city limits of those communities has wells (some folks might still have cisterns). The electricity is from a rural co-op that is centrally located in small towns throughout the state. Rural folks who use gas have propane tanks and buy their propane from a supplier; this has no effect on municipal gas, which is natural gas.

The gas issue is a valid one, but I think of all the unnecessary running around most of us who live in the city do every single day, and I'm pretty confident it is far more than the mileage dh will drive going back & forth to work.

Maybe I'm sticking my head in the sand, but I have my doubts that the situation is as dire as it's reported to be. Other countries have been using alternative fuel for years; we've lagged behind in this country, but we do have the resources to catch up, I believe. We also have lots of coal and off-shore resources we refuse to use. Castro & Cuba are mining off-shore sources closer to our shores than we currently allow our own companies to utilize.

I think there are all sorts of options, but the gas folks have a tight grip on things. The average consumer is going to have to take the time to become informed, take a stand, and pressure their senators/congressmen to enact change.

This may not be popular, but I also think there is going to have to be some compromises made between the ecology interests and those developing new fuel sources. The situation with the offshore resources is one example.

I have lots of mixed emotions about all this, but I think difficult decisions are going to have to be made by all of us.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  11:22:42 AM  Show Profile
When I first started riding the bike, the traffic was nerve racking. But I grew accustomed to it. I quickly learned how to stay aware and judge what is going on around me. Traffic in India was often worse, as I was sharing the road with pedestrians, oxen-pulled carts, bicycles, mopeds, cars, trucks and buses, all vying for their space. Again, not everyone is comfortable with this, but I grew accustomed to it quickly.

I can say as someone who used to live in the city (Chicago, downtown), I didn't have to use the car that much if I didn't have a really good reason. I was able to walk everywhere or take public transit. I had a grocery store across the street and a shopping area with clothing stores within 6 or 7 blocks. There was a small paint and wallpaper store across the street also. A few blocks up there was a small hardware store, and further across town was a home depot. I was just a few blocks from the lakefront and Grant Park. There were a lot of pluses to my city lifestyle. I can't say that city folk actually drive more than country folk. I think that suburbia is more the culprit because of planning. I think that the key to being ecological with gas expenditures is planning errands to make the most of your gas and time. Just my two cents.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  11:30:05 AM  Show Profile
Amie,

My husband and I are thinking about the same issues. We want to embody a positive, ecologically conscience lifestyle. We wonder if it is better to live in town and possibly influence those around us with urban homesteading, or do we live the back to the farm movement? Sometimes I think it would be better to show other townies how much they can do with their small plots (since that is where the majority of americans live, is in cities and suburbs with small growing capacity). Not everyone can live in the country, because hey, it wouldn't be the country anymore! I honestly believe the biggest impact for the planet would be demonstrating a more ecological lifestyle to the city and suburban dwellers and how they can change their environment.
Julie
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  2:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Julie, I like your take on this! I'm in suburbs and really don't see an opportunity to move to the country any time before retirement. We keep going back and forth about buying in a regular subdivision or in the one where we currently rent because of the lot size differences versus the "ammenities". We keep leaning toward the subdivisions with ammenities because "that's where the people are"...(my husband is a youth pastor). So, if we took our desire to live on a farm and implemented an urban homesteading mindset, we could have the best of both worlds. I keep leaning to the more land side of things, but that's my farmgirl upbringing calling out to me! LOL I do think we could impact more people (both ecologically and spiritually) if we lived in a "closer" subdivision....

Thanks for making me think and look at this all from a different angle!

BTW--I'd love to ride my bike to work (at the local elementary school), but it's 3 miles on a two-lane BUSY highway with no sidewalks or shoulders....and I have two kids who would have to ride with me. Maybe we should look into getting into the subdivision across the highway from our current location, since they'll have a school opening there next year....I could transfer and then ride the bike to work too! (Something to consider, anyway.)

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  3:16:27 PM  Show Profile
In Carrollton(50 mi. west of Atlanta) low grade @ Wal-Mart was 2.66 yesterday and rising. I am only 3 mi from work and have toyed with the idea of biking to work. There are several problems. It is dark out @ 0630 when I leave and I would be traveling on a 4 lane. Also It will soon be too humid to bike and get to work without smelling funny.:) I have played with the moped thought though. I'd looks like fun.
We are lucky so far on prices ( after seeing everyone elses) and the fact we are so close to work. dh is only 3 miles from job too. Carrollton is about 6-7 miles across town. I was worried about prices ,but now I'm worried for you guys. We are doing pretty well.
Lets hope it gets better ...notworse! Teddie
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  3:41:25 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted everyone to know that I wasn't trying to guilt anyone into riding bikes. I haven't really ridden since I became pregnant, because the books all say not to in case of a fall. One thing I've noticed is that it is easier in a town of less than say, 5-10K , or a large city, to walk or bike many places for errands. In small towns there's less traffic overall and distances are short for bike riding, and there tends to be sidewalks. In large cities, there's sidewalks everywhere, there is a culture of walking and public transit use, and it's actually pretty safe to ride bikes because there's so many stop lights, it's hard for traffic to get up to high speeds for sustained periods. It's the medium sized towns where most of the new development doesn't have sidewalks and has a lot of traffic, that makes it more difficult to not use a car. I could easily walk to the store close by, except that there are no sidewalks, and I can't really push a baby stroller in the heavy traffic. It's kind of frustrating, becaues I feel that I'm not living my values, ya know?
Go to Top of Page

Northerngal
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Gale
Iowa
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2006 :  05:01:56 AM  Show Profile
So many good ideas on how to save fuel from everyone. I have toyed with getting a moped, but haven't done it because I can either bike or walk to work on nice days, and after this year the situation might change. I'm going to night school for a Bachelor's in accounting, and anticipate a different job after graduation. But, fuel costs will definitely figure into what job I will take and where I will live.
The high cost of petroleum is starting to drive prices for a lot of things up, not just gasoline. I noticed this particularly with building materials, since I work for an architect. Right after hurricane Katrina prices for things like carpets, roofing materials, PVC pipe, electrical wiring( - the outside covering or insulation is vinyl) all went up. The prices haven't come back down, and since all of these products use a lot of petroleum the prices will probably keep going up. At some point this is going to affect people purchasing new homes, and I think there will be a slowdown in construction. Glad I am changing careers.
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2006 :  09:30:42 AM  Show Profile
I was thinking about this the other day as I was driving home from work and seeing the prices of gas go up again. We are the ones who are going to have to do whatever it takes to make up for the higher prices. By "we" I mean, citizens. Every business that relys on fuel is able to ad a surcharge or increase their prices to cover their increased fuel expenses. So in essence we are not only having to pay more to fill our tanks ($45, my last fill), but we are also having to pay extra to fill their tanks -that's a double whammy. That really stinks and in all honesty, is not fair, however, the only way we have around it is to help ourselves in what ever way we can. And you ladies have some very good ideas about how to get started doing that.

We have to stick together and continue to share ideas so that we can make a difference for our families. I have not yet found a way to charge extra for anything to get help from others to pay for my tanks of gas, so cutting out and sacrifice is the way to go. And probably not a bad idea, think of what it will mean for you and your family, just like Conne, is finding, it's not all bad not to be on the run every single day of the week. I know I'm going to have to really figure out just where I can create some savings for our household. And, just like Patti is discovering, even those little things add up. So the next time I hear "paper or plastic" I'm going to be going with paper.

I wonder how much difference it would make if all the grocery stores went back to only paper or offered only paper or cloth bags, and go rid of plastic all together? m-m-m-m-m-m just a thought.

Thanks for giving me a place to verbalize my thoughts, random as they are.

Blessings on your day and your efforts to keep your costs down and your family close.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2006 :  09:47:04 AM  Show Profile
Gas has hit $2.75 a gallon here and going up! Convenient that it is going up again right before summer vacation time hits. I heard on TV the other night that we actually get more of our oil from Canada than we do Middle Eastern countries. Does anyone know if this is true? If that's the case how come we have to pay such high prices? I'm not driving as much. Unfortunately where we live I have to drive a distance to shop but will be going into town once a week instead of several short trips a week. I need to be at home more anyway to get things done around here.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
New Product -- Soap Souffle

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Outpost: Previous Topic Coping With High Fuel Costs Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page