Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Ideas for my 13 YO Dane Next Topic  

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2909 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2909 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  1:31:50 PM  Show Profile
I have a 13 year old female Great Dane, WIllow. Pretty amazing for a Dane. She does OK; she can still walk, loves to eat, & other than being very frail looking in the hips, she does OK, except for peeing at night. She loses control at least once a night. Every morning I get up, put her double sided fleece beds in the washer(I have 12), wash her (Dr Bronners loves me)& then start over. I would love to have some type of diaper, but I am against disposables. PLus the doggie ones in her size would run me about $70 monthly. I have the cloth canvas "period panties" from when my show Danes were in heat, but they are really designed to hold only a maxi type pad. Any ideas for what I could put in those to absorb a Dane sized pee nightly?? My sewing skills are limited
My Dr Bronners, pee soaked brick floor thanks you!!

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2909 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2909 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  1:37:48 PM  Show Profile
I should also mantion that I have tried the med Proin, which helps this condition, but it made her listless & have diarrhea.
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  3:06:24 PM  Show Profile
This looks like a good product and you can use cloth prefold diapers in it instead of disposables.

http://www.tinkletrousers.com/

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  3:07:35 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, try petedge.com or doctor's foster and smith (drfosterandsmith.com ?) They may have cloth diapers for incontinent dogs. I know Pet Edge has wraps for boy dogs. I'll look in one of my magazines. I used to board dogs so I get lots of those kinds of publications.

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  3:08:36 PM  Show Profile
You could also find someone to make you some absorbant inserts that are made with Zorb (Shamwow) inner layers. It's VERY absorbant and washable.

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  3:56:01 PM  Show Profile
I had a Rott. that did this, and everything you are doing I did. I have no new ideas... just enjoy her!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2909 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2909 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  4:15:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks you guys for the ideas! I think I am going to put the velcor panties for gals in heat on tonight, & put in some of the absorbent cloths, like the chmois styles. Hope that helps some. I'll let you know & if anyome else has any ideas, let me know! THanks again..
& yes Angie, I do enjoy her. I love my Danes. They are the best.
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  9:46:13 PM  Show Profile
I would really like to encourage you to give this dog some vitamin C. Dogs make their own vitamin C but as they age they make less and less. Adding it to their diet helps their hips and for some reason helps them hold their bladder. Just try it, it will not hurt. I assume she is a big dog so I would start with 250mgs and after a week or so go down to 100. It changes all of this very fast.
LaVonna

Farmgirl Sister #758
www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com
http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
http://healthtalkcafe.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2909 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2909 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  07:59:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Lavonna!!
I used the heat panties last night with the big old chamois in it; it was soaked in the am, but at least the bed was mostly dry; so I guess I will go that route for a while.
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  08:58:29 AM  Show Profile
Have you tried lining the heat panties with the Sham WoW. They are soft and absorbant. My daughter uses them for everything.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Ideas for my 13 YO Dane Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page