Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 dressing farmgirl - if you are not 20!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic dressing farmgirl - if you are not 20! Next Topic
Page: of 4

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  07:57:20 AM  Show Profile
The cape is inspired by Little House I think. I will display the finished products when they are done. On the jeans, Wal-mart has a jean by Lee that is just wonderful!!! I got some stretchy cordory looking yoga pants at a salvage store. they were from Lands End. Man they are the BEST!!! With my muck boots, apron, and jean jacket they look pretty farmgirl!!!

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  08:39:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by mscountrygirl

Ok ladies I went to Wal-mart. the only store in our town! I found three patterns that I just had to get so I could share them with all of you! New Look easy and easy 2hour patterns are great!! I found a great cape pattern (6916), a real farmgirl shirt (6809), and a sundress pattern that is super easy (6889). I paid $3.44 for each. The shirt will look nice in a sheer fabric and a cami underneath. I want to find some fake fur to make the cape. I haven't deceided what to make the dress out of yet!

Michelle

It's all good!

I Googled the sundress pattern and I am definitely going to be picking that one up! I have been looking for dresses in that style for a couple of years! I can just see it in a yellow calico-type material!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  08:43:06 AM  Show Profile
I found a great sheet at a yard sale! It is from the Shabby Chic collection at Target. I paid a couple of dollars for to twin sets!!! I wish I had a hat pattern to match. did you see the shirt? The fabric on th e cover is so cool! I am going to try to start cutting today.

Michelle

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  11:29:40 AM  Show Profile
I dress very modest.I wear nothing but skirts,coulottes and sundresses. I buy almost all of my clothes from Blair.com. The calcutta cloth coulottes are soooo comfortable and roomy and long. Just below my knee so they are modest. I can wear them to work ouside or dress them up with a cute top. The best part is they only cost $12.00 when they are on sale, which is most of the time. I have seen them in spring for $16.00.But still!!! The gingham-check sundresses are so comfy too. Blue or red and not see-thru. I just love them! I have never had trouble with sizes there. They are very true and I'm 54, 5ft-6in, 150# and I am a true size 14. Even shoes are right on in size. Really gals, a great place to shop. A happy customer since 1990! ;-)

Sister-chick# 905
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-

Edited by - herblady55 on Jan 30 2010 6:52:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

cntry@heart
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Diane
Clinton MO
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  11:30:18 AM  Show Profile
Okay - we all agree that MJF needs a clothing line! I'm right there with you! I wear jeans and sweats in the winter and capri's in the summer.... I am way over the age of wearing short shorts!! I would like to see some nice tops that are comfortable that give a girl room to work but still has some sense of style. I like the flowered overall idea! That would be awersome! I want someone to see what I'm wearting - and say "Hey there goes a farmgirl - I wonder where she gets her clothes!"
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  3:12:43 PM  Show Profile
I haven't found an overall pattern yet but I'm still searching. I am going to look at the website Judy reccommended. The coulottes sound great.

Michelle

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  6:35:54 PM  Show Profile
gotta say my Ariat Fatbaby Boots!! LOVE them!
Usually with jeans and long sleeved tshirt or wool sweater.
Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  06:24:52 AM  Show Profile
Not a trendy dresser at all. Long skirts, jeans, simple tops and my apron. And of course it all wouldn't be complete without my Tony Lama vintage boots or my Red lace ropers! For me at 54, I guess as the younger folks call it "Freedom of Expression" lol!

gerri

Happiness is in the comfortable companionship of friends.
-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  2:18:54 PM  Show Profile
I am loving reading what everyone wears. When I think of times gone by, each era had a signature type clothing that seemed to exude farmgirl or down to earth gal. There was the Little House look at the turn of the century, in the 1930's, there was the housedress and apron look. In the 70's, there was the Prairie girl/hippie look. I like all of the above, and would love to co-ordinate them into a style today that is easy and nice to look at and wear. But mostly I love reading that you all wear what you like best, and you do not care about image. That is gthe best of all.

I love skirts best, but wear mostly pants. Oh, and I do not love shopping! That makes it harder to find what you want. :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  7:11:55 PM  Show Profile
Myself, I tend to wear overalls when I'm feeling farmgirl. Or long tiered skirts and whatever top suits my activity. (Rarely tees) Tank tops perhaps, or ribbed sweaters, or eyelet button downs. If you have lots to get done, leggings work, and you can slip your wellies right on over them. Uggs when it's dry out, wellies when muddy! Sandals in summer!!!! And I LOVE to go all 19th century when I get dressed up.

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  08:20:47 AM  Show Profile
I need to get some overalls. I have wanted to start on my dress but homeschooling has overtaken me these last few days.

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  08:32:23 AM  Show Profile
I'm in 20x wranglers...all the time. I was wearing the womens carhardt jeans, but I wear the inside of the thighs out fast... yes, my thighs rub together and I'm proud of it. It means, I have enough to eat....I wear the Wranglers simply because they are mid rise, they have a little stretch and yet look pretty good on my wide bum. Pricey, yes... but they are made well. All other jeans I have worn thru in a matter of months. Also, I LOVE the Lee line of Slimming tops. the ones that button up the front and have 3/4 length sleeves. I wear them a lot anymore. Casual yet dressy. In the summer I still wear jeans, you won't catch me in shorts, but I'm a total redneck... I cut the sleeves off my tshirts like the boys do. I buy most of my clothes at TSC. I buy my tshirts from Walmart cuz I wear thru them so fast. I usually get a 3 pack of mens crew neck tshirts and go with it. My style is old John Cougar Mellencamp...white tee, jeans and I never go anywhere without converse low tops or my Justin Boots. I'm a stocky 39 year old, I dont look well in skirts, I'm forgetful about my aprons, and I LOVE my FARMGIRL ballcap I got at Rural King Ohio.... hahaha

http://www.farmboybrand.com/farmboy.asp?farm=girl

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Maven
http://www.harvestthymefarm.vpweb.com
www.onefunkyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
~If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!~

Edited by - deeredawn on Feb 04 2010 08:33:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  08:49:54 AM  Show Profile
I made a couple of simple shift dresses out of light cotton, then made matching aprons to go with them. It's cool for summer time and I wear them while I'm canning and working in my garden. It's great!

I wear my Key's overalls year round. In the summer I just wear a sports bra or a T-shirt under them. In the winter, long sleeve t-shirts and/or sweatshirts.

I wear boots and jeans all the time. But I've gained too much weight over the last couple of years to fit my size 3 Rockies, Cruel Girls and Wranglers. Now I'm wearing those awesome Levi's that "slim" you. Hurray for stretch denim. My boots, Justin work boots and Ariat Fat Babies.

Dawn - I got one of those caps for my birthday last year! I absolutely LOVE IT! And I wear it all the time when I'm not at work. :)

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com

Edited by - chaddsgirl on Feb 04 2010 08:57:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  08:57:32 AM  Show Profile
Matching aprons is a great idea! I never would have thought of that. I also often wondered if the Wrangler jeans were worth the money. I like the Lee sliming jeans but have never tried the shirts. Thanks for sharing ladies.

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  10:44:43 AM  Show Profile
Would love to see photos of those dresses with aprons matching. That sounds really pretty and comfy too.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  10:59:05 AM  Show Profile
Would love to see a MJ clothing line too! I usually wear jeans and tee shirts or long sleeved casual shirts during the week. On Sunday when I go to church I wear dress pants and dressier blouses and shirts. Very rarely I will wear long (to the ankle) skirts. I really want a prairie skirt, but it's so hard to find them at a reasonable price and in larger sizes as well.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  11:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Jeans and t-shirts/sweaters for me too. I recently discovered the Q-Baby jeans from Wrangler and I REALLY like them! They are a mid-rise and have some stretch. I think they are kind of pricey but they wear really well. I like to wear dresses in the summer just because it is usually cooler than jeans (too old for shorts any more!) but I have been having a hard time finding a style that I like. I want a dress that is fitted on the sides, sleeveless or short sleeves, prefer a collar, fuller at the bottom and buttons up the front. I saw one in a dress shop a few years back and didn't buy it because at the time I didn't really wear dresses as I was working in the garden department at the local ACE Hardware. Been kicking myself ever since! LOL!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  12:23:54 PM  Show Profile
Hey Lainey, Walmart carries prarie skirts all the time. Mom and I both have bought them there. They have misses and womens sizes ...and very reasonable. Just keep an eye open if they don't have any right at the moment.....they will!

Sister-chick# 905
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  12:27:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Judy! I hadn't thought of looking for them there. I'll be on the look out now. Thanks again!

Farmgirl Sister #25

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  4:02:23 PM  Show Profile
What does a prarie skirt look like? I don't know if I have ever seen one.

Michelle

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  06:33:09 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
I'm in agreement with the MJF farmgirl clothing line!!! I can't "design" clothes...yet, but I have been reusing clothes and hats and adding that farmgirl charm to them! Hopefully ya'll will see them on etsy soon!!

For myself, you can almost always catch me in bluejeans (where my etsy name came from) bluejeancountry! T-shirts with a flannel shirt in the winter and can't forget my hand me down camo coat and bibs from my dad, they are sooo warm to feed in and everyone in town knows it's me when they see that camo jacket with pink John Deere gloves coming! I love wearing bibs and summer months cut offs and a tank or tshirt with of course my muckin boots and apron to carry in the days eggs. My body is by far not in its 20's or even 30's anymore...as long as you're happy on the inside...who cares?!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360
http://oldethymecountry.secure2cart.com/
http://oldethymecountrybarn.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  07:18:03 AM  Show Profile
I look forward to seeing you clothes! I need to motivate myself to start on my dress out of a sheet for spring.

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  09:18:02 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, they are skirts that come down to your ankles. Some have tiers, some don't. They were really popular where I live in the early 80's. I used to wear them all the time. Here are some pages and pics of them.

http://www.squaredfashions.com/skirt20737.jpg

http://www.modestapparelusa.com/tiered-prairie-skirt-black-twill.html

http://www.katiesmercantile.com/skirts.html

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=62YA

Farmgirl Sister #25

Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  09:34:31 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Katie's mercantile is a great site! I saw all kinds of things I wanna get. Thanks!

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  10:27:43 AM  Show Profile
I really liked the websites. I think I might make a few of those for myself.
thanks
Michelle

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic dressing farmgirl - if you are not 20! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page