Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 dressing farmgirl - if you are not 20!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic dressing farmgirl - if you are not 20! Next Topic
Page: of 4

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  10:41:14 AM  Show Profile
Those are great websites. Love the skirts.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  2:39:54 PM  Show Profile
It's interesting to me that so many of you don't/won't wear shorts anymore. I haven't felt comfortable wearing shorts for a few years (unless walking to and from swimming) and now I know why. I'm at "the age." !!!!! That's okay--I really enjoy capris.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  08:29:38 AM  Show Profile
Aren't they like a broomstick skirt? I know back in the days of being a "dead head" (haha, yep, I did the Grateful Dead thing for a SHORT time) all the girls wore broomstick skirts. I was in Walmart the other day and saw some fabric that was already gathered like that. All you have to do is measure around your waist and get that cut. A straight sew and you've got a skirt in about 5 minutes. I also saw them at Gabriel Brothers. Its kind of a second store. Blooper clothes and close outs. I see them there A LOT in the spring.
http://www.fabricsandbuttons.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/broomstick-front.jpg" border="0">

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Maven
http://www.harvestthymefarm.vpweb.com
www.onefunkyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
~If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!~
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  08:34:32 AM  Show Profile
Well, I guess the pic didn't come thru, but thank you for posting picture links...I have a couple, but I dont feel secure enough to wear them. So yea, a clothing line with skirts, lace up boots, maryjane shoes, bloomers, pillow case tank top, camisoles, pillow case skirts, table cloth wrap skirts, I could go on and one. And denim dress up kits. Like, you find your "perfect" denim jacket and you could buy a dress up kit for it and add lace cuffs, or applique' across the back shoulder or vintage fabric flower pins... Hmmm.... I think I may have to go create today! I just bought a book for altered art clothing, but the best part is, you use recycled clothes, or items that you may have stained or messed up to make wearable art. Neat stuff...

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Maven
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  09:48:12 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
broomstick skirt

Linda in Scranton, PA

"WELL BEHAVED WOMEN RARELY MAKE HISTORY"
(The Junk Gypsy)
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  09:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
The name comes from the way the pleats are put in....when the skirt is wet it is wrung or twisted and then tied onto a broomstick to hold it while it dries. Isn't that cool?

Linda in Scranton, PA

(The Junk Gypsy)
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  10:29:28 AM  Show Profile
OMG with my ivory white legs you'd never catch me in shorts. (I can read by em in the dark they're so bright)I love long skirts,tho!

http://www.pluckyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.mandochicks.com
http://mandolinbabe.net
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
http://www.mtndulcimer.com

@MandolinChick on Twitter
fingerpickin Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  11:17:04 AM  Show Profile
LOL....Sherrie....THAT'S funny. Cracked me up! LOLOL

Sister-chick# 905
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  12:32:15 PM  Show Profile
I still wear broomstick skirts. I have found them in beach shops here and even in regular stores, like Beall's. When I see one, I get it. They are so easy and comfy, and cool in the summer.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  2:32:41 PM  Show Profile
Linda tha skirt is really beautiful! I have one skirt that is layered with brown and red roses. I got it at Wal-mart for $2!It's the ony skirt I own!

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  4:13:53 PM  Show Profile
I have a few of the broomstick skirts. That's the type of skirts I wear when I do wear a skirt. Sometimes in the summer they are really cool. I don't wear shorts out either, well just around the house some. Most of the time at home I wear a duster type thing.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  07:34:00 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the pic Linda! I couldn't get one to load. They are packable too. I mean, gotta love wrinkled clothes that are supposed to look wrinkled!!!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Maven
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  07:36:22 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I love them!...they are still in style because I see them in all the stores...even the fancy Mall ones. I think the ones with the top layer fitting would be slimmer looking...what do you think?

Linda in Scranton, PA

(The Junk Gypsy)
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  10:12:30 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Candy C.

Jeans and t-shirts/sweaters for me too. I recently discovered the Q-Baby jeans from Wrangler and I REALLY like them! They are a mid-rise and have some stretch. I think they are kind of pricey but they wear really well. I like to wear dresses in the summer just because it is usually cooler than jeans (too old for shorts any more!) but I have been having a hard time finding a style that I like. I want a dress that is fitted on the sides, sleeveless or short sleeves, prefer a collar, fuller at the bottom and buttons up the front. I saw one in a dress shop a few years back and didn't buy it because at the time I didn't really wear dresses as I was working in the garden department at the local ACE Hardware. Been kicking myself ever since! LOL!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.

Candy, I like to dress the same way....thanks for the info on the Wrangler Q-Baby jeans, I have been looking at those but didn't want to spend the money. Sounds like they would be worth it though!

I'm also looking for a dress in a style similar to what you described. I haven't looked good in shorts for years and have been wanting to switch to skirts or a cute dress for summer instead. Let me know if you find anything...and I'll do the same!

Kim
Farmgirl #184

http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Giddyup
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Linda
Sheridan IN
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  2:48:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies!! I enjoyed reading all your comments on farmgirl fashion! I, too, buy alot of adorable t-shirts at Tractor Supply. And, if you are just patient, they go on sale for very cheap while in the same season. I do jeans in the winter, but love capris in the summer. I am tall and thin, but I just prefer capris if I go out. Also, LOVE, LOVE cotton, flowy skirts in the summer. I find alot of adorable summer skirts/dresses at the Goodwill!

New Farmgirl Sister,
Linda from Sheridan, IN
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  3:41:03 PM  Show Profile
Don't ya just love Goodwill? I do too!

Sister-chick# 905
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  7:05:33 PM  Show Profile
You can get patterns for prairie skirts in most of the major pattern books or download them. If you google gypsy skirts it brings up some great ones. Old slip patterns make great prairie skirts. I got several of them when I lived in Scotland from the Laura Ashley Shop. They have lasted more than 16 years and I still see the same style in stores at the Mall. I wear mine with tank tops to big sweaters. Flip Flops and my Gypsy Boots work too. I love them. I really can't stand to wear shorts long or short. I am short and capris make me look short and fat which I am not. My only problem with the skirts is that sometimes they are way to long and drag the floor. It is hard to work in them so I make most of mine. They are pretty easy.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  7:35:31 PM  Show Profile
Goodwill, Salvation Army are like looking for treasure!

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  11:15:11 AM  Show Profile
Ain't it the truth Michelle! ;)

Sister-chick# 905
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Miss Giddyup
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Linda
Sheridan IN
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  3:43:17 PM  Show Profile
Judy and Michelle....OMG I am a Goodwill ADDICT!!! (Salvation Army works too!) My husband of 14 months is the one that introduced me to the Goodwill -hehe!!! We were passing one one day and he asked me if I wanted to stop in. I said "why?" and he said, "you know all the stuff that YOU donate...with the tags still on it"....Then I understood!!! If my schedule permits, I hit a Goodwill every day! I'm so addicted that even if I only have 15 minutes I will STILL run in!!! In fact, he and I just went to one a few hours ago!!! I got a beautiful tan, fringed, suede jacket for $4.99!!! It is kinda western looking and I thought it would be good to wear for alot of horse things we do. I bet my husband wishes he NEVER told me about those stores!!!!
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  10:52:58 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Linda not to worry. You are not the only addict. I had to admit to my DH the other day I had a problem. He caught me emptying my trunk when I thought he had left to run an errand. Busted!!!!! The best part was he had been to the junk yard to drop off some metal and brought home 6 old glass pane windows! I so love my DH!!!! Partner in crime!!

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 4 with 1 on the way.
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Miss Giddyup
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Linda
Sheridan IN
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  11:29:03 AM  Show Profile
Betty Jo...that is soooo funny!!! Been there done THAT before!!! I love it that your DH came home with something, too!!! By the way...what is he going to do with the windows???

Linda
Indiana Sister #942
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  12:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Well, we are not sure. Many ideas, so hard to chose which one to create. But I do know they will be incorporated some place and become ART. Our house looks like any 2005 edition but once you walk in it becomes 1930. So at the moment, I am thinking that 2 might become picture frames and the rest will end up for sale during a spring Garden Shed sale. But then again I also need to make some shallow display boxes to display my antique jewelry collect in. I think they would make a great front display window. My DH wants to save the glass to replace new glass with. But since they are stored in what he ALWAYS calls my Attic and since possession is 90% of the law I'm sure they will become some thing beautiful.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 4 with 1 on the way.
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Miss Giddyup
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Linda
Sheridan IN
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  7:07:45 PM  Show Profile
Betty Jo...I think any of those ideas sound neat!! We have found many old, neat things in our barn!!

Linda
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  07:15:46 AM  Show Profile
We have a Dirt Cheap here in MS and AL. We also have an America's Thrift. It's like the super store of thrift! In the spring I look forward to yard sales!!! I find good clothes that way.

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic dressing farmgirl - if you are not 20! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page