Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 dressing farmgirl - if you are not 20!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic dressing farmgirl - if you are not 20! Next Topic
Page: of 4

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  8:24:20 PM  Show Profile
I really want to find some clothes that are simple,down to earth, comfortable, nice looking, and meant for women over a certain age. I would love to look like a farm woman ( but I cannot do those cute tight jeans). I keep looking for that type of clothes. I have long skirts, boots, but do you all have a kind of clothing you love that exudes farmgirl?

I just had a thought!!!! MJF (she will kill me) needs to start a clothing line!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  8:33:53 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you...its hard to find clothes that work. I'm generally in jeans -and no, not the cute tight kind ;)- and a hoodie sweatshirt. Then again, I'm in MN and its about 22 below zero right now. :)

I would love to find something that is comfy and functional but still looks decent...and screams farm girl...so I guess I will anxiously await comments along with you!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  8:46:57 PM  Show Profile
I would like to find jeans that were made for woman who are of a normal size. I have had 5 children and can't possible wear something that only comes to my hip! I agree with you ladies, MJ needs a clothing line. I searched patterns but nothing overly exciting!

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  9:00:54 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, those jeans that come to your hip just don't work after babies. No ifs ands or buts about it.
MJ....clothing line, please?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  9:26:21 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That would be so cool!!!
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  05:35:55 AM  Show Profile
Jeannie, I know that you live in a warm climate, but I always loved the classic style of English country dressing...there are several clothiers that I think would suit you quite well. Just have to get out my British Country Living magazines. Classic, country fashions that are incredibly tasteful while still being earthy and simple (and hardworking).

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  05:59:29 AM  Show Profile
I am usually in jeans in the winter. In spring, summer and fall I am in the gardens and at the market. I have been wearing the short pants. Capris, I think. And t's. I can't wear short shorts anymore. I would love to find some cute prairie type cotton cool long skirts this year. I am trying to lose weight so I'll look decent in them. But right now the fluffy puffy skirts just make me look huge and rediculous. I love skirts and summer dresses. But also I am usually filthy diryt so can't wear nice things anyway. I have my "dirty farm chore" clothes, then my "go to town" clothes. Not so many of those right now, though. But I do want to look nice when I do go to town.

So I'll be checking in here to see what ya'll smart farmgirls come up with.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  06:06:11 AM  Show Profile
I'm 49 and don't look 20 anymore either...so yeah, lets have a farmgirl fashion line =D

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  06:25:09 AM  Show Profile
Right there with you all!

Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  07:37:04 AM  Show Profile
A fashion line is just what I need. It's mostly jeans and tee's for me. I did order a new pair of overalls for Rosiewear, a mountain berry color that I will wear all spring in the garden. If I am out and about it's long skirts. I'm glad I wear a uniform for work, no tellin' what I'd show up in!

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  08:08:59 AM  Show Profile
I like the idea of overalls in maybe a floral type print. I also like maybe, aprons made of floral print canvas. I think maybe an old fashion nightgown as a sundress, cami top as a tank, and bloomers instead of the shorts they sell at Wal-mart! I found a pattern online that was cool, but now I have to try to find it again!!! I also like cotton romantic-poet style shirts, and capes in the winter. I am going to work on this as my "project" now that I have finished my Master's degree with all this free time.

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  08:15:28 AM  Show Profile
Congrats on your Master's, And I like the idea of a night gown as a sun dress, maybe one of those white cotton ones with a brightly colored tank underneath.

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  08:39:40 AM  Show Profile
That's what I was thinking too. I got a new sewing machine from my hubby as a graduation present. I also think vintage sheets would be nice too. I am so going to work on this.

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  08:40:53 AM  Show Profile
In the winter I wear jeans (sorry but I only wear the hip rise ones - but not skin tight). I wear long sleeved t-shirts with hoodies. I get alot of my shirts at Tractor Supply. They have some really cute ones. I also make what my friends call big-shirts. I have a pattern from the 90's of a huge shirt that I make out of flannel and wear it over t-shirts. It is great. In the summer I wear sun dresses and skirts. Mostly made out of light weight cottons. Guess I am lucky that I can make my own clothes. I was really happy when I turned 50 and could wear whatever I wanted. People just say I'm old and eccentric. LOL And I do make sun dressed off night gown patterns. I make skirts of old-fashioned slip patterns and tops of camisole patterns. I found an old pattern for over-alls that I am going to try for the spring. It is made out of several different floral prints. My Mom gave me several pieces for Christmas that I am going to try.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  08:44:16 AM  Show Profile
I like the idea of old-fashioned slip patterns for skirts. I am 40 and my town thinks I am very eccentric. I couldn't wait another 10 years. I would love to find an overall pattern.

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  08:57:35 AM  Show Profile
I'm looking for a source for plus size cotton tee material shirts that are empire in style. That's my favorite style, it hides my tummy and my bum and feels really comfy. I have two right now that I live in and I'm getting sick of wearing either brown or magenta!

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Eager Podcaster
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Podcasts at http://thefannyfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  10:22:03 AM  Show Profile
My jeans are from JCPenney, most of my shirts are from Cabela's, chore coat from Farm/ranch supply, town coat from Farm/ranch supply, chore boots from Farm/ranch, I wear a man's straw hat in the garden from Farm/ranch, My town hat is a ball cap that says, Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. I had to dress for "show" for years, now I dress for comfort and fits the occasion. I put on one of my nightgown/sundress in the summertime after my shower. That is about the only girlie cloths I own.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  1:00:30 PM  Show Profile
In winter I am a jeans and warm sweater gal. In the spring )if it is warm enough' and summer I am mostly a skirt kinda gal (after work lol) Or a nice long flowy dress will work for me too. LOVE the layered skirts, tyou know the ones with 3 or 4 tiers?? Adorable

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  09:25:25 AM  Show Profile
Levi and wrangler both make jeans with a touch of stretch in them, that makes them sooooooo comfy to wear, especially in all the contorted positions we all put ourselfs in on our farm/ranchs on a daily basis,lol. I wear jeans or overalls all year long, with tank tops, t-shirts, sweatshirts or, depending on the time of year. The only time I wear a dress/skirt, is to a wedding or funeral. I wear nothing baggy, cause its too easy to get caught on something, and that can/will be dangerous. I'm kicking the hell outa 53, I've had 4 kids, my figure is "mature", not perfect, skinny , nor is it fat or sloppy, and to tell you all the truth, i don't give a rats ass what anyone thinks about the way I dress, I have no one to impress, and I'm happy and comfy, so thats all that matters, right?

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  11:23:56 AM  Show Profile
WAHOO, Teresa...you go girl!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mamawolf
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Heather
Sublimity OR
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  4:47:09 PM  Show Profile
I personally find most of my clothes at thrift stores. If they fit well, they're really comfortable, because they're basically disposable! Not a worry, if you are too hard on it! But as far as looking nice, I am going to attempt making my first outfit! I know what I want to look like. Now I have to create it! I'll post pics when I'm finished.

I'm sooo happy to be part of this community!

Mamawolf

We Are,...American Farmgirls(and darn proud of it!)
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  4:49:50 PM  Show Profile
Glad to have you here, Heather. Let us know what your outfit looks like, Carol

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  6:38:57 PM  Show Profile
Teresa, I think I am there too!!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  7:48:37 PM  Show Profile
I am a jeans and tee shirts gal...and always always an apron. Sometimes with an added sweater this time of year. In summertime I wear long skirts with tee shirts and aprons or for chores (milking and gardening especially) tend to wear bib overalls. I don't have tons of style and I am lucky to be able to work at home now. My aprons are my uniform for sure.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  8:33:27 PM  Show Profile
Ok ladies I went to Wal-mart. the only store in our town! I found three patterns that I just had to get so I could share them with all of you! New Look easy and easy 2hour patterns are great!! I found a great cape pattern (6916), a real farmgirl shirt (6809), and a sundress pattern that is super easy (6889). I paid $3.44 for each. The shirt will look nice in a sheer fabric and a cami underneath. I want to find some fake fur to make the cape. I haven't deceided what to make the dress out of yet!

Michelle

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  06:05:48 AM  Show Profile
Michelle - let us see your finished products, especially the cape, and thanks for the pattern numbers!

1badmamawolf, I like your attitude. Made me smile! In my head I have am image of what I want to look like....kind of like Ma on Little House (I am such a dreamer) ....and I wear aprons a lot too. More and more. This winter I got some soft velour pants, and some stretch cords that are warm and easy to bend down in....but they do not look very farmgirlish. :) I wear skirts all summer, but in the winter, I have not found any that work with the weather or my shoes. I lived in jeans until I gained a little weight, and now they are not as comfy. Even if I buy bigger ones!!!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic dressing farmgirl - if you are not 20! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page