Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Best Homeschool Curriculum for Kindergarten?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Best Homeschool Curriculum for Kindergarten? Next Topic
Page: of 2

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  7:55:36 PM  Show Profile
Hey all! I am in the process of deciding whether or not we are going to homeschool. I've been toiling over this ever since Camden turned 4 in November. He will be turning 5 this November and is very interested in "school", but I'm not sure if I want to start him this coming school year or hold off for another year. And if I do think he's showing signs of being ready, do I home school or send him to public? I'm just not sure if I'm cut out for it, but I've heard from several people that I CAN do it and that if I just try it for the first year I won't hurt him at all if it doesn't work well.
Anyways, I'm wondering about what curriculums everyone likes best?

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  11:57:41 PM  Show Profile
You could always try one of the free virtual schools. Either k-12 Cyber Academy or Connections Academy have free online programs. They are sort of the bridge between homeschooling and public school.

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  3:31:05 PM  Show Profile
HEY!! I say go for it.

"school" doesn't have to be workbooks and spelling lists. In fact, I bet you already "school" your child.... how to dress, how to fix a sandwich, how to care for animals, etc.... "schooling" young children is really just life.

There are tons of wonderful curriculums out there....

Five In A Row...... a guide to children's literature, you read a book every day for 5 days and do an activity related to the book, learn geography, learn about illustrations and art, perhaps cook something.

Sonlight.......... a curriculum based on literature but related to the core subjects of english, science, history, etc.....

Weaver............ a curriculum based on reading the Bible in book order and relating all the core subjects to the Scriptures. For example, in Genesis you spend weeks just covering all the days of creation and doing activities/experiments. Another example, when reading about Moses you study Egypt, pyramids, shepherding, and make a model of the Nile River. This curric. is cool because you purchase a volume and they give you lesson plans for Kdg - 8th grade. So, families can all be learning the same stuff just expected to show knowledge in different ways.

OOOOps....gotta go, I'll write again later.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  6:08:12 PM  Show Profile
Catherine, Weaver sounds awesome! I'm definitely going to check that one out! Thanks :)

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

JustAnAllAmericanGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Jamie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  09:32:05 AM  Show Profile
I'm a homeschooling mom and thank God everyday that we made the decision to do it.

There are so many curriculums and to be honest it has more to do with your goals in homeschooling than the curriculum itself.

I know I was very confused when I started so my advice to is to read both 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculm: Choosing the Right Educational Philosophy for Your Child's Learning Style by Cathy Duffy and The Homeschooling Handbook: 2nd Edition by Mary Griffith.

There are lots of other books and resources out there but I found these to be very helpful.

I just recently posted a blog about why I chose to homeschool if you are interested in checking it out.

Good Luck! Jamie

www.JustAnAllAmericanGirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  10:06:22 AM  Show Profile
Homeschooling has been the best decision we ever made. My boys have never been to school (thought they have been to outside classes and extra curricular activities). I had a curriculum outline for my eldest for K but when my second came along I had realized no curriculum was needed. We also had Five in a Row, which isn't a big investment like others are, but we already did most of those activities anyway.

We went to the library once a week or so. Read a lot and did activities that related to the books we were reading. The boys would get interested in something and we would follow that. I remember Lukas being really interested in bees because the little girl next door used to carry sleepy bees around lovingly. So we read about bees, did bee projects, counted bees, whatever we could come up with. Memories and fun that last a life time and drew us closer.

Whatever you decide enjoy the time with your son! Also, I don't know who would possibly be better "cut out" for 'teaching' Camden than you. You know what he likes, his strengths and weaknesses. Who better to see his face light up when he learns something new with joy. I know you can do it!

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  10:08:20 AM  Show Profile
LOL Jamie, I JUST posted on your blog before I even saw your post on here. I will definitely check those books out.

Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  10:10:14 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Tanna! How encouraging! :)

Go to Top of Page

JustAnAllAmericanGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Jamie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  10:42:16 AM  Show Profile
siobhan,
Thanks! I'm always here if you have any additional questions about homeschooling. Jamie

www.JustAnAllAmericanGirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  12:14:44 AM  Show Profile
The best curriculum is the one that you like, use, and the kids like and respond well to.

Honestly, your kiddo's still young. This year we're kinda barely starting to do some things with my 6yo (fall 2003). He's just on the immature side of his age bracket, and things are in all kinds of upheaval in our house right now. So nailing down a precise schedule or curriculum at this point isn't going to make or break it for our family. ;)

We've got more of an unschooling/haphazard approach going on in my household. My kids can identify the majority of plants out in our garden (although garlic and onions get confused pretty often, but still, that's better than most adults can do!), know how to turn the wood stove up and down, they help and "help" me cook and clean and do laundry, "help" hubby when he's working on the house (ever been lectured by a 6yo on the origin of galvanized nails? and how volcanoes work? it's amusing!), and so on.

Just living life - they soak up and learn everything like you wouldn't believe. This week it's been obsession with the baby in mommy's tummy and it's 'umbilicum' cord. We're going to the library tomorrow for some books about that particular subject. :D Anyway. At this point, I'm grooving on the idea behind Sonlight, but just working on my own collection of books more catered to my kids' particular interests (robots, trains, weather, plants), got some groovy stuff from Handwriting Without Tears (if you go that route, get an extra little chalkboard or three!), and we do things with local hs'ing friends.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys and growing a new little sprout
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  07:13:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Lanna! Great suggestions!

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  11:16:32 AM  Show Profile
You can get very overwhelmed with all the choices and feel like you have to do them all. Just remember that what someone else is doing doesn't have to be what you do. A preacher once told me, "Someone else's description isn't your prescription" God has plans for all of us.....and they're usually different plans with the same goal....to Glorify Him and reach others with love.

He matched you with your kids to accomplish His plan through you. While another family may be proficient musical instruments and latin, your family's interests may be with sports or art. You just stick with what you feel comfortable with. Don't feel pressured.

Basically, your kids need to know how to read, write and do math. How they learn those things doesn't matter. Plus, once they know how to read and write, they can learn anything! But,all the life activities they experience when they are young are the foundation to reading and writing. So, just keep having fun with them.

I am so glad we had a relaxed or unschooling approach to learning. I love my memories of being curled up together reading, or laying on the ground looking at cloud pictures, or making a mess in the kitchen. My kids never got a "grade" or report card. Schooling was about learning something and then sharing it with others. When they reached what would be their 9th grade age, we started to be more formal so they could be prepared for the college experience.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  11:44:02 AM  Show Profile
I'm would echo what Lanna said - the best curriculum for your kindergartner is what works for both him...and the rest of the family. There are lots of homeschool type things or theories I would LOVE to have work here for us, but they just don't because of who my boys are or what kind of situation we are currently in. There are also other things that I wish we didn't have to do, but in order for things to work, we do. (I would love to be a totally relaxed unschooler...but at this stage of the game, my boys crave structure like oxygen. I myself am an unschooler, my boys are NOT. Me fighting that made it *worse*! It's so very annoying to me, but dangit, you gotta do what makes it work!) So my advice to you would be check out what other people are doing (my first blog below is our homeschooling one) and get a feel for what's out there, but do what works for you. Do not try to model your HS after anyone else. And when what you chose to do isn't working anymore (as often happens) don't freak out! Change with it. The great thing about homeschooling is the freedom to change from one way of doing things to another. So don't stick yourself into a hole and think you can't jump out and into another one at any time! :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  7:10:32 PM  Show Profile
I guess maybe why I'm so worried about finding a curriculum is that I need direction myself. I was always a very good student academically (I went to public school). I made straight A's. BUT...I was very unfocused. I was very disruptive in my classes because I was BORED. I always finished my tests and in class assignments before anyone else and would end up spending the rest of the class bored. I LOVED chemistry and physics and biology any hands-on class like that because it kept my hands busy. I also had a problem with home work because my parents didn't know how to focus me at home.

So, I see the same traits in my oldest son. Seriously...it's like looking at a little me. And that scares me, because I have to teach that and I AM that myself. Can a big person with ADD successfully teach a little person with ADD? I'm just skeeeeeered. I'm afraid if I don't have a specific curriculum that TELLS me what to do that I am not going to be able to focus on getting him focused to learn. And I know that I don't have to teach him like at a public school. It doesn't have to be THAT structured, but I also feel like having the curriculum would help me to know WHAT to teach him at what stage. And all the projects and lessons will be already written out for me. I'm not creative enough with stuff like that to come up with cool things on my own. I NEED to copy someone else's ideas LOL!

Am I making any sense to anyone?

Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  7:53:11 PM  Show Profile
I think a person *with* ADD is possibly *more* qualified to teach a kiddo with the same issue.
You can recognize when he's distracted or losing it, and can divert accordingly.

I actually just snagged a book of Amazon called... _Home Learning Year by Year_ by Rebecca Rupp. So if we're sort of in the range of the "requisite" things kids need to know each year (give or take - I don't see my 6yo reading on his own anytime soon), I'm calling it good. Each kiddo/person has their own strengths and weaknesses, it's just that we can better tailor learning opportunities to the kiddos. :D

You could try finding that book at your library to flip through and see if that'd do it for you, or I'm pretty sure there's got to be some free-type curriculums out there if you really need something structured for both of you. There are *plenty* of curriculum plans out there - for various prices though. ;) I'm just too cheap at this point. Oh, a site a friend recently turned me onto? Abebooks.com - like a giant flea market for books. Oh baby. Definitely made my book money stretch a little farther.

ETA: Btw, I don't even think *I* can focus on something I don't want to or am not ready to learn (for example, I have friends that are huge into the couponing thing, but it's something I just haven't been able to entirely wrap my mind around - in two years!). So the getting a kid to focus thing... yeah. I'm not all that huge a fan of that because they either will or won't, regardless of school location. At least at home you can put something on the backburner until the kiddo's more interested in it, rather than frantically cramming stuff in for the year-end tests. :(

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys and growing a new little sprout

Edited by - Lanna on Jan 29 2010 7:58:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Waynette
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Waynette
Sunbright Tennessee
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  3:44:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies
Just found this forum. You all have answered alot of my questions. Thanks.
I am a 45 year old mother of a 5 year old son. I also have grown daughters (22and 20) My girls were in the public school system. I was not happy at all with their experience.
I would love to homeschool my son. I chickened out this year and sent him to public kindergarten. However, am rethinking myself. He is very unhappy. My question is, is their anyone homeschooling an only child? My son is the only small child in our family and I worry about him not getting to play with other children. I don't worry about my ability to teach him, just don't want to deprive him of interaction with other children. He also probably has ADD as my youngest daughter does. This makes him always have to loose his break at school and he doesn't get to play anyway. He is already playing soccer and is active in his sunday school class. Is this enough interaction?

Thanks for any advice
Waynette
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  9:36:45 PM  Show Profile
I love this site. It has a FREE full course of study for K and other grades using Charolotte Mason approach.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & MRET ~ Energy Healing & Wellness Coaching Sessions

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  05:55:06 AM  Show Profile
You're doing the right thing by asking questions and trying to figure out what you want. If you buy something and then find it isn't working, get rid of it....pass it on to someone else who can use it. Keep trying different things until you find your groove. Surprisingly, you may even find that your style changes from year to year to adapt with your child's maturing changes.

"Slow and Steady, Makes Them Ready" is a good guide. It's got a year's worth of simple and basic activities for learning skills, letters, numbers, etc.... It would be a combination of "relaxed" and "structured".

Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  08:40:30 AM  Show Profile
Waynette,

I have two boys that I am homeschooling but I know plenty of moms homeschooling their only child. The question is is this enough interaction for HIM? Every child is different. My oldest is very social and my youngest is perfectly happy with himself. Are there kids in the neighborhood your son plays with? Is he playing soccer twice a week? Is he happy enough with it. Only you know that. Here is a little article on this issue: http://learninfreedom.org/socialization.html

Here is a thread from another forum about this topic. Read through it as there is a book recommendation in one of the responses you may find helpful: http://www.home-school.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4170

I would think he would be perfectly happy being homeschooled. Really once your homeschooling the question is not about socialization anyway. Most of us find that socialization is about more than just having more and more kids to play with. It is about making lasting one on one relationships. Then the question is only about giving your child the best education to match him perfectly. Also you will be through a day's worth of school work in half the time of the school. With ADD that may be just the thing for you and him.

Whatever decision you make I'm sure it will be the best for your family.

All the best,
Tanna
Go to Top of Page

Waynette
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Waynette
Sunbright Tennessee
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  6:34:30 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much.
You have been very helpful. Gave me somethings to think about.

Waynette
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  1:17:32 PM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
My mom says that Christian Liberty is the best for kindergarten. That's what she started me on 100 years ago...well, 15 or 16, anyway! And look how great I am!! Ok, maybe we shouldn't use that arguement...LOL

Anyway, she had NO idea what to do and Christian Liberty tells you where to take breaths, so it's great for first-timers!

~Kayla

http://www.custerfamilyfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

child in harmony
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Marcia
Middleboro MA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  08:07:54 AM  Show Profile
Homeschooling is GLORIOUS!
If you love your child and want *more* for them, you CAN homeschool.

It also helps if you redefine *learning* as we know it and realize one learns from every experience, every day, good or bad.

It is said that 60% of kids don't learn the way schools teach.

Homeschooling allows your child to blossom in his/her own unique way. Being immersed in the everyday WORLD and connecting with people of all ages and all subject matter and all tools( books, computer, TV, fieldttrips,etc) that have real *meaning* to the child is true knowledge and makes for a peaceful and joyful way to live, as well as increasing confidence and self-esteem in the child.

You also don't have to *know* everything but just know where to go to find what your child wants and needs.

I have 4 older children who did go to school. Public elementary, private high school, and college...the last one graduates in May. And I also have my two youngest , who have NEVER been to school, and they are now 13 1/2 and almost 12. In fact, we have been unschooling for 7 years now.
http://Livefreeinharmony.xanga.com is my unschooling blog on how we just live life ... a glorious journey :)

~marcia

www.childinharmony.com

"Enriching,nurturing and inspiring Life with nature,animals
and the arts .. for the child and the child within"
Go to Top of Page

CynthiaT.
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Cynthia
Alpena Arkansas
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  4:29:14 PM  Show Profile
I have also been doing some research on homeschooling. My son will be 5 in December, however he already wants to learn school subjects. He can read some things and knows most of his letters and numbers. I have three sister in laws that have all used the Accelerated Christian Education program (www.schooloftomorrow.com). I have bought and received the first quarter of lessons for the kindergarten program. But we have decided to continue with workbooks that we bought at Wal-Mart and Walgreens for the time being. We will switch to the A.C.E. program after my son can pass the placement test that comes with the program.

Farmgirl sister # 852
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  5:38:57 PM  Show Profile
I think it is interesting that you posted this. My Tori is 4 and will be 5 in Sept. I've been debating started her then or waiting a year. She loves what she calls "school", but I'm just not sure I am ready yet.
:)
hugs
Jessie

"I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had no where else to go." ~Abraham Lincoln

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  07:09:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!

I am homeschooling 3 kids and have done lots of different things with each of them. What I would recommend for your 4 year old is this:

Rod and Staff has a wonderful series of workbooks called, Preschool A-B-C Series, which are 7 workbooks that are fabulous to color, cut, practice writing and use thinking skills. I found these to be one of the best starters for my kids. They aren't expensive ($19.95 for the whole set) and the quality of their content and the sturdiness of the paper is awesome! It will give you a good place to start without having to buy expensive curriculum and will keep your little one happy with doing some school.

They also have a series of workbooks for your really little kids ages 3 and 4 that my youngest loved doing when she saw her big brother and sister doing school. There are 4 workbooks and they are $2.20 a piece, super bargain!

Rod and Staff doesn't have a website, but there are some online resellers who do carry their books. You can get a catalog from Rod and Staff by calling: 606-522-4348

The other thing that I would recommend is reading books from the Library till the cows come home! We would check out over 100 children's books at a time and read a lot! Bring a rolling cart or something with wheels to take them all home with! The weekly trip to the library was such a fun thing for us. Not only to get out of the house, but to allow the kids to pick out loads of books to take home and discover.

Homeschooling is such a fun adventure and so worth the time and effort. We've been doing this since my 11 year old was 4 and while there have been hard days, it is so worth it! You won't ever regret it!

For your Mommy reading time, you need to read some books to help you wrap your mind around this whole thing called homeschool. Here are some titles I recommend:
  • The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise
  • A Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola
  • Educating the Wholehearted Child by Clay and Sally Clarkson (new edition coming out July 2010)

We are schooling with a Classical/Trivium/Charlotte Mason approach. There are many, many more ways to teach your child. Before we delved into the world of homeschooling, I had no idea that there were so many ways to teach! There are loads of books and websites that you can go to for more information. Don't get overwhelmed, take one book/website at a time and let your mind digest before moving on.

Some great websites to check out:

Okay, now that I have taken up way too much space, I better stop! If you have questions, just ask! I have way too many things to share!!!

~April

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page

peebs
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Yannira
Connecticut
26 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  07:20:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls,

I am so happy that I found this subject on the forum. You girls have so much great advice. This is a subject that my husband and I have talked about for several years now, but have still not put into practice. We have two children (both girls). The oldest (16)is in sophmore year in high school and the youngest (6)is in 1st grade. Both children were in christian parochial school prior to us moving into the town we now live in. So for my oldest, high school is the only public school she has ever known.

I've mentioned homeschooling to my oldest, and she has reservations about this, even though she has plenty of friends at our church (her age) that are homeschooled. She will be going to college in about two years and feels that she can prepare herself much better by being in public school. As for our youngest, I told my husband that at some point I will be transitioning to homeschooling for her, and not wait as long. I guess my question is, how do you transition your kids from public to homeschool and are they going to be affected in a negative way by this. I miss the curriculum and the christian school soooo much :(

Any advice will be much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Best Homeschool Curriculum for Kindergarten? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page