Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Detergent for Cloth Diapers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Detergent for Cloth Diapers Next Topic  

arenecombs
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Andrea
McKee KY
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  5:31:26 PM  Show Profile
I need help. My friend is expecting her second child any day now. She is using cloth diapers this time, for the first time.
She is wanting to make her own detergent for the diapers and since I have made my own detergent for a while now, she has turned to me for help. So I am turning to you for help.
I understand that one has to be more careful what they wash diapers in since it can effect the absorbency.
Does anyone have any experiences with making their own detergent relating to diapers? Also, in case the make your own doesn't work out, does anyone have suggestions for low cost brands to try?

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  08:58:43 AM  Show Profile
One thing to do to increase absorbency, is to omit fabric softener. They will be soft! I have used softener in years and once all of the detergent was out of our clothes, the clothes were very soft.
I use Charlies soap for all (.12 load), including diapers. Homemade works well (.6 a load). Hanging out diapers and covers "bleaches" them nicely.

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

Farm Girl Projects http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com

My Vinyl Decor Business http://thegirlscreate.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  09:00:28 AM  Show Profile
ok..haven't used fabric softener!

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

Farm Girl Projects http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com

My Vinyl Decor Business http://thegirlscreate.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  10:00:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If you are making your own laundry detergent that should be fine as long as you are using a laundry designed soap. Don't use regular hand soap as that can build up a slight residue in the diapers. Also putting vinegar in the rinse cycle works great as a fabric softener as well as helps denature the protiens from the diaper waste which helps keep the diapers fresh and clean!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

arenecombs
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Andrea
McKee KY
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  06:17:35 AM  Show Profile
Alee,
What do you mean by laundry designed soap? I have always used Ivory myself.

thanks,
Andrea
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  06:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Andrea-

Zote, Fels Namptha and some homemade soaps are designed to be used in laundry and to rinse clean.

Regular handmade soap usually has a certain amount of unconverted oil which is good for your skin, but not so great for clothes and can reduce absorbancy.

If you are having a hard time finding Zote or another laundry soap, I do make a homemade laundry soap that I used in conjunction with the homemade laundry detergent recipe for Nora's diapers.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

arenecombs
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Andrea
McKee KY
USA
8 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  8:26:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the information.
Last Friday we were to make the detergent. But last Friday, the baby decided to make an appearance. At 37 weeks. She had a little trouble breathing, but is doing better with that. Now she is having a little trouble eating, but yesterday she latched on and stayed on for the first time. She is still in the NICU, but they are hoping to take her home any day now. Once she gets home we will have to try again.

Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  07:55:36 AM  Show Profile
Making your own is a great idea. Allens Naturally is a great diaper soap although it can be pricey. You want to stay away from detergents from the store like ALL or Tide. They can create a bunch of build up in the diaper and you'll have to strip your diapers often.
You can use vinegar in the rinse as a fabric softner if you have to, but stay away from ANY other kind. Never use dryer sheets.
Rinse twice to make sure all the soap is out of the diaper and remember to only use about 1/4 of the reccomended amount!
Hanging the diapers to dry will help extend their life.

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  09:27:43 AM  Show Profile
You can use soap nuts. Google them, they are real. They are natural and require no softener. Be sure to hang dry them or at least lay them out in a sunny spot for 10 mins. It kills a bacteria that isn't easily killed by any chemicals. You can also include a half a cup of vinegar in place of softener to totally strip the soaps from the diapers so no skin reaction occurs. It won't leave any vinegar smell behind. I promise. I use the cider vinegar for a sweet smell. It's a natural disinfectant and makes the diapers so soft!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

EarthMamaJEM
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Jenn
PA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  10:16:33 AM  Show Profile
I have been CDing for years now and tried many different kinds over the years, and have found that with my water (city water, not hard water) a brand called "Rockin' Green" detergent has been my fav thus for for the past 5ish months. We use it for our clothes as well.
Go to Top of Page

cjeanjellybean
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Cassie Jean
Plant City FL
USA
71 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  8:31:28 PM  Show Profile
Soap nuts are pricey around here. We were given a gift cert. to www.cottonbabies.com & they sell cases of bumgenius detergent, which is very similar to planet detergent. We use it for our diapers, & hang to dry in the sun...the dryer leaves them with a very odd "burnt rubber" smell. Use homemade detergent for our clothes, but with Kirk's castile as our grated bar soap in the recipe, so I wasn't sure if it was safe for the diapers; we ruined our first set by using a non-compatible detergent~ not fresh smelling at all~ so we try to be very careful now! My biggest suggestion above all else ie to let them dry on the line, in the sun. It works wonders! (God's natural bleaching agent, I guess!)

~Cassie Jean
Farmgirl #1356

" Stand still & let God move." ~The Isaacs
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Detergent for Cloth Diapers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page