Northerngal
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Gale
Iowa
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  10:19:49 AM  Show Profile
Spring is here in some parts of the country and soon it will be summer and time for a lot of people to take a vacation. What are the best things to see in your home state and what other places have you enjoyed visiting?

In Iowa, I would recommend the Amana Colonies near Iowa City. The old stone buildings are great examples of old simple architecture, and very pretty. There are also demonstrations from time to time at a blacksmith's shop and the woolen mill.

The movie set from Field of Dreams is near Dyersville in Northeastern Iowa. Worth seeing if you liked the movie.

If you're near Des Moines and like baseball, check to see if the Iowa Cubs are in town. They are the farm team for the Chicago Cubs. Even though the park has been remodeled, I think most adult seats are still around $10. Kids are even less.

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  10:48:39 AM  Show Profile
I'm in Missouri, and of course I'm really partial to my state. We have lots of opportunities for outdoor recreation, with lots of state parks, canooing, camping, hiking, rock climbing, and one state park has white water rafting.

In the Southwest corner are some of the most beautiful views I have ever seen in my life. THe Ozarks are gorgeous. In that part of the state is Branson with all its attractions, most notably SIlver Dollar City. My favorite attraction there, though, is Shepherd of the Hills, an outdoor evening drama/play and during the day you can tour the grounds, the log cabins, etc. Of course, Springfield is in that area, if you're looking for a larger town and Bass Pro Shops (and it's HUGE).

The Northwest courner has St. Joseph (St. Joe), Kansas City, Independence (home of the Harry S. Truman Presidential Library), and more outside recreation. Also up in that area is Jesse James' home -- been there, but can't think of the name of the town off-hand.

The Northeast portion has Hannibal, home of Tom Sawyer and one of the greatest summer festivals I've ever attended. Great for young and old alike. Again, beautiful countryside.

The middle of the state is gorgeous. In the middle of the middle are some great towns and activities, and on the far east of the middle is St. Louis. Whole books are written about St. Louis -- the Arch, the Cardinals and Rams, the riverfront, and all kinds of activities.

Down here in my corner, the Southeast corner, it's fairly quiet, hilly until you get south of my town, where it flattens out. We're on the Mississippi River and have a downtown full of antique/junk stores. The area around here has small towns (some very tiny), many of which are of German or French history, with old buildings, antique and craft stores, etc. In the summer, there are several outstanding events -- Jour de Fete in Ste. Genevieve (a wonderful, very historic town between here and St. Louis, on the River) is one example.

Okay, I know I went on way too long, but I love where I live and think it has something for everyone. Well, we don't have the beach, but we DO have beaches at some lakes. We don't have actual snow skiing that I know of, but near Six Flags there's a ski resort (artificial snow). We have big cities with pro sports of every kind (except, I think, pro soccer), shopping, fine dining and cultural events, and we have lots of rural area.

Forgot to add, that we also have some semi-pro baseball teams, where tickets are like $4 and up. Great atmosphere and wonderful for the family. One in Springfield and one north of St. Louis.

And I can't believe I forgot about St. Charles -- it has one of the most fascinating historical downtowns with shops and things!! My 17 yr old dd's favorite place to spend the day, and it doesn't have one chain store or typical clothing store!!

Now, if I could go anywhere else on vacation, my absolute favorite place is warm with miles of beach. In the US, I love South Carolina, and outside the US, I love Jamaica. My favorite dream destination is a small coastal town in Maine.

SOrry to go on and on.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Edited by - happymama58 on Apr 09 2006 10:50:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  10:49:06 AM  Show Profile
My home state. Well, I love, love, love the desert - the smoothy-rough red sandstone and the sparseness of life - it seems like everything in the desert has worked darn hard to get and stay there, and there is a certain calmness - an absence of excess - that makes our Utah red-rock desert one of my favorite places on earth (Okay - that I've been to on earth!). Lying flat on sandstone and looking into a bluebird-blue sky can somehow make whatever venom has made its way into my life just seep down out of me. Not to be too "woo-woo," but it really is a magical place.

I feel so fortunate to live at the gateway of Utah, where the northern foresty areas give way to the open valleys and high plateaus of the desert - I love it, and I would highly recommend it as a destination area! Spring and autumn, however, are the most comfortable temperature-wise if you're not into sliding from shade-spot to shade-spot... Summer would be just the perfect time to check out the mountainous areas of Utah - some of the greatest hiking and climbing to be had are here!

I have thoroughly enjoyed visiting almost everywhere I've been. That sounds pretty redundant, I know, but there are so many things to see that are all different and interesting and unique. I have a very soft spot for Seville, Spain. The history...the architecture...the food...the language...the people...the flamenco...I could hardly get enough!

Gale - I have been to Iowa (only the Ft. Dodge area) and it was lovely! What a unique, open feel that land has, and the people there were all SO nice. I was there on business when I worked for a big gypsum manufacturer that has a facility there, and I just couldn't wait to get out of work to look around.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  1:58:40 PM  Show Profile
I live in Florida and I would say go visit some other state! Yes, we have beautiful beaches but we are overcrowded and overpriced. And the places that are Farmgirl quality are fast disappearing. If you want quiet and loveliness, go to North Carolina, northern Georgia, Idaho, and the mid-west. Visit the National Parks. Seek out the unknown. We used to have some of them here in Florida, but they are too quickly being inundated by people. It makes me sad.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  3:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
I too live in Florida, and somewhat agree with jpbluesky, but...

Canoeing through the mangroves with opportunity to see manatees, that is one of the best experiences I've had in my life! There are some great places to visit in Florida still, you just have to look a little harder to find the "roads less traveled". Whenever possible, our family gets off the beaten path to find someplace non-touristy, and we've been happy with some really neat places. Ocala National Forest, Mt. Dora (a quaint town), Tamoka State Park, Fort DeSoto...and if you want some history (and can stomach the touristy-ness of it) St. Augustine is a really neat place to check out also.

Lots of "you pick" farms too....blueberries, strawberries, citrus fruit, etc.
----------------------------------------
Now, if I were talking about my "home" state of Kansas, there are so many places! Cow Town Museum in Wichita, the world's largest hand dug well, the Little House on the Prairie (near Independence), the Oxford Mill, Pony Express stops....so many I can't even name them all!

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Edited by - sonflowergurl on Apr 09 2006 3:13:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  5:15:53 PM  Show Profile
I live in a small town in west central Ga. about 1 hr from Atlanta. We have a few chainstores but no malls or any thing fancy. Ga has lots of different areas. The north has the mountains with camping, outdoor activities and a darling town called Helen all shops are Bavarian in design. There are coastal towns with beautiful old houses like Savannah. Not far from us is Franklin Roosevelts summer home of Warm Springs. The town of Warm Springs is a downtown of all those cute little shops. There is also a state park near by. Actually there are many state parks and many civil war sites.
My "home "state where I grew up is Ohio. I grew up in Akron a big town,but what I miss the most is drives to the country to see and shop in the Amish communities. A favorite was Lehman's. If you farmgirls don't know about Lehman's, visit them @ Lehmans.com they have simple non electric stuff you'll enjoy. A 1/2 mi or so from Lehmans is Coblentz furniture where I bought most of my furniture. There's nothing like Amish made furniture. Lasts forever.
Patti I have been to MO. In 2001 my son graduated Army basic from Ft Wood. We stopped in St Louis to see the arch. We camped about 20 min. from Ft. Wood and canoed down the river. It was beautiful. The place we will remember most was eating in a restaurant in a cave. It was so neat. Can't remeber the name.It was way back off some dirt roads maybe 10 miles or so from the Ft. Very different. I'll try to remember the name.
Teddie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  5:47:04 PM  Show Profile
ALASKA .. god's gift of wilderness and 'awe'!!! xoxo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Northerngal
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Gale
Iowa
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  6:23:13 PM  Show Profile
So many great ideas from all of you. I've been to St. Augustine, Florida. Yes, it is touristy, but Castillo de San Marcos is worth seeing. So much history in that one place. Savannah, Georgia is also very pretty with it's old architecture and cobblestone streets along the river. Went there during the off season and stayed on Tybee Island. Not very many people out on the beaches, mostly locals that were interesting to visit with. And hunting for seashells was better, fewer people looking in February. I had never seen the ocean before, so that in itself was worth it. Haven't made it to Utah yet, but hope to one day. Some of the pictures I've seen are beautiful.

Frannie, I was hoping you'd post about some interesting places to see in Kentucky.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  8:51:47 PM  Show Profile
Western WA is wonderful! Nice cool summers with no humidity. The coast line is great although gets crowded in the summer. You can't go swimming in the ocean (well you could but the water temp only gets up to 50 degrees in the heat of summer) but it's nice to wade and enjoy sitting in the sand. We also have lots of beautiful forests to explore and mountains to climb.

But I have to say my favorite vacation spot is my home state of IL. Love being at my brother's house, sitting on the deck, and looking out over the corn fields! Just the best!

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  06:03:51 AM  Show Profile
Back to the restaurant in the cave. It was Caveman BBQ and steaks. It was in Richland MO. You parked in the lot and a van picked you up to take you for a winding ride to a rock face overhang. There you got out and rode an elevator up to the cave. The opening of the cave overlooked the Gasconade River. I've traveled to many places but this was probably the most unique.
Teddie
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  12:05:21 PM  Show Profile
the northern California Redwood forests... What more do I have to say?!?

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com
www.smallsqrl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  3:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Yosemite is awesome, I just came across pictures from my trip there my Freshman year in college! So magnificent!

Charleston, SC is very cool too. We were there last year and looking at the old (HUGE) houses near the ocean-front....it was just neat to imagine the lives people used to live there 200 years ago. (The old Baptist church where a friend worked was neat, it had tombstones in the churchyard and a hole in the wall from a canon during the Civil War.)

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

coconutcakes
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Emily
Summerfield NC
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  6:31:10 PM  Show Profile
In my homestate, you really can't go wrong. . . there's the Outer Banks on the coast and the Blue Ridge/Smokey Mtns. to the west. In between, there's plenty else to do and see. Just check out www.visitnc.com!

jpbluesky mentions Florida's overcrowdedness, and I've got to tell you, NC is quickly becoming ran over with people who retired to Florida (and their children and children's children) who travel through NC on "their way home North" and fall in love with the Good Old North State. Mountain land is going quick, and it's pretty sad to see the North Carolina of my childhood become so crowded. The demographic and population changes have also changed in what was once considered "genteel manners". . . people aren't as hospitable and friendly anymore sadly.

Emily

"After a long period abroad nothing could make me more homesick or emotional than an American magazine ad of a luscious layer cake, except one, and that was a pictured lemon pie." Irma Rombauer, Joy of Cooking (1943)
Go to Top of Page

Northerngal
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Gale
Iowa
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  04:41:54 AM  Show Profile
The last great place is fast disappearing, seems to be a recurring theme among these posts. Makes a person sort of feel like someone from the old West era must have felt when barbed wire became readily available and the West was fenced off.

I have always wanted to go to the Outer Banks region of North Carolina. Guess I'll have to do that soon.

Other vacation ideas from the wilderness I was born & raised in, the U.P. of Michigan. If you go, go in the fall to the Porcupine Mountains State Park and see Lake of the Clouds. When the leaves have their full fall color, it's breathtaking. There is also Copper Harbor, the Northernmost point in Michigan. Fort Wilkins is there. They have actors in period dress who live there in the summer and do the things people would have done in the 1800's.

Black River Harbor, just a short drive from Bessemer is worth seeing also. There is a wooden suspension bridge that you walk over to get out to the beach. The water is also quite cold, even in August. About the only people you see swimming in it are those born there.
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  2:37:22 PM  Show Profile
Today we had Laura Bush and the elder Bushes here to dedicate 'W's boyhood home.
That about does it for our town.(shrug)
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  4:35:34 PM  Show Profile
What a fun thread! There sure is no place like home! My brother and I once drove from Cape Cod, Mass. to Idaho (home) and experienced the most beautiful changing landscapes. But nothing beats drving across the Montana/Idaho border at sunset! There is no place like the farm and the mountains and the rivers and so on.
But my hubby and I are actually vacationing in Kansas next week! And Katee, I agree, there is a certain beauty about Kansas that I long for. We lived there for just a year and are returning to visit the dear friends we made and I can't wait for, hopefully, a little bit of stormy weather, some chocolate from the most delicious chocolate cafe ever and the wide open skies!
Next on our list is the South. We have a fantasy about it. We've never been and I just would love to eat some yummy foods and experience the kind of humidity that everyone says you haven't until you've been ( my hubby thinks I'm crazy, but I loved Kansas summer!)
Oh, I can't wait to read more from everyone!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  3:56:59 PM  Show Profile
Our favorite is always the San Juans in Northern Washington State - weather is always great in the summer - not too hot/not too cold. Beautiful scenery, blue waters, etc. Here in Oregon, the coast is always a favorite for everyone. We also have Crater Lake toward southern Oregon. Then there are all the small towns in southern,central and eastern Oregon - full of wonderful history and friendly people. One of my favorite is Jacksonville,Oregon (southern Oregon) it is an old mining town near the California border. Wonderful little town, friendly people, great shops and some good restaurants.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2006 :  05:19:38 AM  Show Profile
Like Kay, I love Illinois. I don't often get to vacation because the animals need tending, but there's a lot to do here. There are fabulous world class museums in Chicago. And in Springfield, those who love history will love the Lincoln Museums. There are great state parks, like Starved Rock and Jubilee. I love so much about life here.

But mostly I vacation right here at home. I climb on a trusted horse and ride off into the woods and go exploring. We see deer and beaver, woodchucks and giant snapping turtles, blue herons and ducks, and occasionally a neighbor. But most of the time it's very solitary. I see corn to the north, south, east, and west; and when I don't see corn, I see soybeans. There's a grandeur to this land, the way it stretches to the horizon to touch a sunrise, and the way the mist rises on jewel-like green fields in the early morning. And it can be terrible, watching a storm coming at you from miles away, seeing a tornado form in the skies, fierce north winds pounding down from the north without break, or a curtain of gray storm clouds sweep across the horizon. But there are also rainbows, tiny violets, and sweet bird song.

Mostly, I vacation at home. It's pretty nice here.
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2006 :  07:23:41 AM  Show Profile
I had a great time about six years ago in the Okanagan Valley that runs from the interior of BC down into Washington state. There were lots of wineries, swimming in these beautiful lakes, the Kettle Valley Railway which is an old railroad right-of-way through the mountains that has been turned into a bike trail. There are also lots of fruit orchards so there is lots of fresh fruit available at stands. It was heavenly.
Go to Top of Page

Kate
MaryJane's Farmgirl

135 Posts

Kate
Moscow ID
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2006 :  2:18:28 PM  Show Profile
Emil and I have changed our wedding plans. We are now getting married with just close family in July (instead of December). Anyway we've decided to have the wedding and our honeymoon in Leavenworth Washington. If you've been there you know what I mean when I say it’s an out of country experience. It's a small town in the tall alp like mountains about three hours outside of Seattle. The whole town is a Bavarian village even the Safeway and McDonalds don't look like the usual they have a Bavarian exterior. It's really neat it makes you feel a whole lot further from home. My parents spent their honeymoon their and so will we. I'm very excited it's like getting double for your money!! Check it out at http://www.leavenworth.org/index.html

Kate

Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it.....unless they are spelling mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2006 :  5:38:25 PM  Show Profile
Kate,
Wave and honk at me as you drive through Wenatchee on your way to Leavenworth... I be a half hour away! Hope it's a blessed time for all of you and your families.
Clare

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2006 :  8:59:42 PM  Show Profile
I grew up in a very touristy beach area (central coast of calif) and lets just say I LOVE Utah. There are so many beautiful uncrowded family freindly places to vacation here! I have lived in Idaho and Minnesota both too and think they are both also wonderful but I am so glad we moved here to Utah!
Northern calif is so pretty sqrl..lucky you! My oldest son lived in Ft. Bragg for awhile and we loved it there when we went to visit. And loved visiting him later in Kentucky too..there are so many pretty places out there. And where do we ALWAYS go on vacation...???? Right back to the central coast of Calif..haha. But that is to see family.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Apr 21 2006 9:46:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2006 :  8:12:59 PM  Show Profile
Well, Hubby and I just returned from a week in Daytona. Spring break was over for that area and it was heaven. The beach was almost deserted. Each day I woke up early to watch the sunrise over the Atlantic. We fell asleep each night listening to the waves wash in.....the sky was bright blue and we ate dinner each night looking at the ocean. We saw dolphin in large pods swim by and there were babies in the group. We walked for miles in the surf. So....I eat my words. Florida is still beautiful. Just have to look for the times when it is not overloaded with crowds. We even enjoyed the drive home through small towns and hammocks. We stayed away from Interstate! It was a great relaxing trip.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2006 :  8:46:58 PM  Show Profile
I live in Oklahoma. Here it's fun to see Bricktown. We have an art museum that in 2008 will have an exhibit from the Louvre. We have Whole Hog Day in Checotah, OK that is so fun. Our State Fair is large, but I've grown to not like it as much as you pay to park, you pay to get in and the food is expensive. It's not worth going to for all the money that it costs. Our zoo is nice. We also have an Omniplex science museum and it's kind of neat, probably you will see museums like it elsewhere, I don't know. As far as natural places, I like the Talimena Scenic Drive. I used to love going to the lakes, but they seem dirty to me now that I'm older and very crowded most of the time (with lots of Texans I've noticed?? what's the deal?). We have Okie Noodling--which I've only seen on tv. We also have the Illinois river and going on a canoe trip is fun. We went to Tahlequah for our canoe trip. There is all kinds of Western Heritage all over the place if you're into Native American stuff. Then there are the Arbuckle Mountains & Turner Falls park. I've never been to either. I have been to Sulphur, OK years ago and it was kind of fun.

I loved visiting Destin, FL last year. The water was very nice and calm when I went. I have been to Cancun, Mexico and it was gorgeous (the ocean there was unreal it was so blue & clear), but being in Destin was so much nicer. Cancun seems to be dirty and hot (city streets) and the ocean was so changeable. The currents were very strong. Destin was more my style. We also visited Seaside for part of one day. That is where they filmed the Truman Show.

I also like St. Louis--mainly the zoo. That was the coolest zoo!

Tablerock Lake in MO is BEEEEAUTIFUL.

My husband and I took a trip to Eureka Springs and we enjoyed it's atmosphere. We aren't the Branson type of people at all. We enjoyed puttering around in Eureka Springs, but the restaurants there were not good.

Dallas, TX has a jillion things to do. Also, Padre Island was a relaxing place to go to.

Washington D.C. was very cool to me. I loved riding the Metro and exploring places there.

I went skiing on Monarch Mountain in CO once and it was so beautiful it hurt! I saw a herd of buffalo and the snow was magical.

That's my travel report!

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  08:03:01 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca -

We also spent time in DC, Christmas before last. That was the last Christmas my sister had before she moved from Alexandria, VA to Alaska. It was fun to ride the metro and go to the monuments and museums. I also enjoyed old town Alexandria. Seeing places where George Washington visited, along with going to his home at Mt. Vernon. Very different stuff then here on the west coast.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  08:17:59 AM  Show Profile
Kate - congratulations to you and Emil even SOONER than originally planned! How fun!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Outpost: Previous Topic Favorite Vacation Spots Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page