Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Sick and Tired of being Sick!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Sick and Tired of being Sick! Next Topic  

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  2:45:08 PM  Show Profile
I am one of those who rarely gets sick, once in a while the sniffles, but nothing major until now. I got a bad cold two weeks ago, fever, chills, chest conjestion, etc. Took a day and 1/2 off from work - but really had to go back because a co-worker I cover for got pneumonia also 4 other guys got the same thing as me. I coughed so hard all day last Saturday that I now do not have a voice for this past week. The big thing that is just killing me is no energy. I would think now after 2 weeks I would be feeling more like my old self. I take vitamins everyday, etc. I guess what I am asking is how do you just stop and get better? I have a house that is in need of some serious cleaning, yard work to be done, laundry, dishes, you name it. DH has done some, but he has been wrapped up in the move to his new office space and he is so use to me not being sick that he is having a tough time with me still being slow and kinda down. He said he would get a maid to clean the house - but no $$$ for that. He can only clean to a degree - severe allergies to everything. If I lay down I feel guilty, even as I type I am looking out at my yard thinking I have to prune and weed, spring is here and I want things to look pretty. I guess I am just venting/whining some What do you do to get over something so that makes you feel so ill? I just want to feel like my old self and I know this is going to take time, but I hate to wait.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  4:58:29 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
you will not get better with all that stress. make a list of the absolutely have to's and then have the hubby help with that. i am sure if you look around there are some things you can forget about for a little until you are well.
prayers for you to get better soon. energy wise- try some moducare. its a natural immune booster made with plabt sterols and sterinols. it will help your body heal itself. i know some cancer patients take it while they are undergoing chemo. i take it whenever i am sick.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  5:21:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Anne,I just got over a humdinger of a cough and cold.I just tried to sleep as often as I could.I also took Emer gen C.It's a powder that has alot of electrolytes in it.Read the directions tho,as you only mix it with 6 oz. of warm water and drink slowly. It has about 1000 mg. of vitamen C in it. I also dried rosehips last fall and made tea with a huge handful of those. Lots of tea,Chamomile with lemon and honey. Take Care.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  7:35:58 PM  Show Profile
I know this is going to sound simplistic, but 2 years ago I got a terrible cold, cough, the whole 9 yards. I rarely go to the doctor, but I was so sick I went. He gave me several medicines, I took them faithfully, and got no better. Finally, someone told dh to have me drink tons of water -- sip all day long and just flush out my system. I did that, and within 24 hours I was feeling so much better it was unbelievable.

Earlier this year I got sick again. Same stuff & I couldn't sleep because of the coughing and congestion, my eyes itched constantly, I was sneezing, and all that stuff. I drastically added to the amount of water I drink, and again I had wonderful results.

I think my system just had so much crud and it needed to be flushed out. I'm certainly not saying this is a cure-all; I do know it worked for me.

I know how miserable being sick for so long can make you. Hang in there and pamper yourself as much as you can. I hope you feel better soon.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  9:07:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks gals for all of the advice and warm wishes and for letting me whine a bit. I will have to try the increase in water intake. I did stop taking all of the cold medicines last weekend because I just felt awful. Also everything I ate, smelled, etc. had a medcine taste to it. So once I got that stuff out of my system I actually felt better. The voice/throat thing has been a bit more tricky. One girl at work turned me onto a herbal tea called Throat Coat. It has organic echinacea root, licorice root and marshmellow leaf/root. Apparently the licorice and marshmellow help regenerate your glands to help lubricate your throat. With honey it is even more beneficial - this has worked pretty good. Beth you are right about the worrying on every little thing - I have always been this way and it hard to let go, but I am going to have to. DH will pick up the slack - he might whine a bit, but he is a good sport and has been doing quite a bit of cooking the last two weeks - which he hates to do. The Emer Gen C, where would I get that - the health food section? Might be good to have on hand for a backup.

Again thanks, I feel better already from all the good vibes

Anne

Go to Top of Page

farmfilly
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Jackie
Gilmer Texas
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  10:52:27 AM  Show Profile
Anne
The Emer gen C is a staple at our house. We swear by it. I started out getting it in the health food store, but it is available in WalMarts now. Hope your feeling 'up to snuff' soon.

Jackie

Life happens, I'm just glad to participate!
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  12:34:10 PM  Show Profile
My fil swears by Emer gen C. I hope you're feeling much better soon.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  03:55:33 AM  Show Profile
Start by throwing your toothbrush away. Remove the new one and risne cup to a drawer and close the potty lid when you flush.

Not to be gross or anything, but the spray goes everywhere.

I read about this years ago in a Reader's Digest and more recently heard about it again on Myth Busters and in a Ladie's Home Journal.

I also turn my back in public toiltes for the same reason. Incidentally, have not (knock on wood) been sick at all this year.

Wash hands and keep one of those hand sanatizers with oyu and USE IT especially after touching a shopping cart. Gross!

Hope you feel better soon!!!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  10:41:48 AM  Show Profile
I certainly hope you're feeling better by now, but here's another product I've had good luck with (for next time). It's called Cold-eez (not sure about the spelling). Basically a cough drop that includes a massive dose of zinc. If I start taking it at the first sign of a cold, it makes the symptoms much lighter and the duration shorter.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  07:06:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone. This week has been better. Engery is slowly coming back, however the voice still not quite there - still on the rough side. Did take up drinking more water then usual and that has helped tremendously. I do take calcium with zinc, problem is I was out for a month right when I got sick. This was the worse stuff I have ever had. Hopefully I won't get it again, at least not for a long, long, long, time.

Thanks again.

Anne

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Sick and Tired of being Sick! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page