Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Soap & hair care questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Soap & hair care questions Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  12:17:20 PM  Show Profile
I am planning to buy some FarmGirl products & figure I'll start with soap. I've read different posts about what people use and am a bit confused.

Do some of you use bar soap (not store-bought) as shampoo? If so, what do you use? I have dry hair and struggle a bit with dandruff, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

As far as soaps for your body & face, what do you suggest? I have dry skin and a bit of exzema (sp?).

I would really like to switch to all-natural products and support FarmGirls, but don't really know what to buy. I'd really appreciate hearing about what you use and why. Oh, when I say what you use, I don't want to hurt any feelings since more than one FarmGirl makes/sells soap, so if you'd just share what kind of products (as in, what ingredients) you use. I hope that makes sense. Thanks so much!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  2:23:56 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Patti-
Check with Susan Dahlem,the soap maven. Her products are outstanding. Plus it's always nice to support A FELLOW FARMGIRL! I too have very dry skin and it can be very sensitive. I love her products and have not had any problems with it. I do however get told how great I smell from many people! Go to-
www.thesoapmaven.com

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  5:41:07 PM  Show Profile
I use a bar of soap for shampoo now and then. If I'm going to work in the garden I shampoo with my Bug Off! bar, for example. Rosemary is good for dandruff.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  8:05:56 PM  Show Profile
Patti, the only farmgirl stuff I've tried is Susan's soaps. They are WONDERFUL!! (Not to say the other farmgirl soaps aren't, I just haven't tried them yet!) I can't complain about one scent that I have. I also use her lipbalm and next to Burt's Bees, it's the best I've used. I have horribly sensitive skin, everything makes me break out and itch. Her soaps are wonderful, I use them on my body and face without any problem.

I have used her soaps before on my hair but I prefer to use shampoo bars from www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com when I want a bar shampoo. Just make sure to use an apple cider vinegar rinse afterwards.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  8:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I make and use my own soap. usually I still buy store bought shampoo because I have not yet converted my boyfriend and habits die hard, although I did go almost all winter using up my supply of summer crafted soaps on my hair and they worked great. I also use them to wash my dog since they lather great while they are in the hair, but rinse very quickly, unlike traditional shampoos that can take a long time to rinse out. I go ahead and just rub the bar of soap on my hair. I suppose you could dissolve it in to water to make it more "shampoo"y.

To help with dandruff- have you tried dumping straight lemon juice on your scalp and letting it sit for about 3 minutes? This helps break up the dead skin cells and helps to stimulate new growth. I think a soap with lemon juice in it would be good for your scalp.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  10:58:56 PM  Show Profile
Now that I use handmade soaps, lotions, ets all the time I could never go back to store bought. All those chemicals - yuk!

My daughter Missy makes great soap too. Everything in hers is all natural -- no fragrance oils, colorants, etc. Just essential oils, herbs, etc. She just made a calendula soap that is working wonders on her little boys eczema. Her Etsy shop is http://www.lamargueritefarm.etsy.com

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com

Edited by - therusticcottage on Mar 25 2006 11:01:22 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Soap & hair care questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page