Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Recycling yarn from thrift store sweaters
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Recycling yarn from thrift store sweaters Next Topic  

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  07:48:51 AM  Show Profile
I just did a couple of blog posts about recycling yarn from thrift store sweaters, and using kool-aid, easter egg dye, or food color to dye them. This helped me a TON when I was starting to knit - heck, still does. you can mak your own hand-dyed hanks of cahsmere or merino or angora blend yarn, for just a few dollars (and with some good thrift store luck).

http://girlwithasword.blogspot.com/2010/01/recycling-and-dyeing-yarn-part-2-thanks.html

http://girlwithasword.blogspot.com/2010/01/this-post-is-for-2-of-my-awesome.html

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  3:55:54 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
thanks so much for this post, it is right up my alley. i already craft with recycled felted sweaters, but i have found some that i really thought i would like to recycle for the yarn.
also, just wondering maggie, can you dye the raime cotton yarn?

love
frannie in texas
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)
www.angeltree.etsy.com

check out the farm at:
www.localharvest.org/farms/M24434
Go to Top of Page

Bugabee
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Kristie
Lugoff South Carolina
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  4:20:38 PM  Show Profile
That is such a good idea!!! I saw this amazing sweater yesterday that I am going back to get. I am going to check out how to dye them.

Yes.. these are my rose colored glasses. It's a pretty way to see.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  4:49:51 PM  Show Profile
Just be sure to check how the sweaters are put together if you are buying them for the yarn. If the seams are serged then pass them by as you can't unravel them. Knitting daily had a good post on how to get the kinks out of recycled yarn on their newsletter sight. Another note here - koolaid and food coloring are not light fast dyes so the yarn will fade with sunlight. Cotton and rayon require fiber reactive dyes vs. acid dyes like wool does.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  07:45:13 AM  Show Profile
I have a sweater I need to unravel waiting at home from the thrift. I loved the colors....hated the sweater. Apparently so did whomever it was gifted too.... It doesn't even appear to have been washed yet.
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Recycling yarn from thrift store sweaters Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page