Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What has "Disappeared" from your world?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What has "Disappeared" from your world? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  08:05:38 AM  Show Profile
What has "disappeared" from your world? As farmgirls many of us still use things that have gone away for the majority of people, such as, clotheslines, treadle sewing machines, etc., but what about the things that have left nearly all of us? Have you missed what has “disappeared” for you? I'll get us started.

Manual typewriters
Drive-in theaters
Full-service gas stations
Mimeograph machines (gets purple ink on fingers)
Record players
Rotary telephones
Being met by your loved ones as you get off the airplane
My Memory
Polite children (manners)
Carbon paper

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  09:23:35 AM  Show Profile
What a fun thing to think about - I DO miss being met by loved ones at the airport, and I have a really funny memory of asking my little sister to lick the back of mimeograph paper - YUCKIEST taste ever! Let's see...

For a different perspective, I asked my mom and dad, and their replies were...
Rolled down car windows and using my arm to signal
Going barefoot all summer
Beautiful old movie theatres wish ushers that would lead you to your seat with a flashlight - and the newsreels and cartoons that they would show
Getting dressed up to go "to town" or to fly or take the train
Buster Brown children's footwear
Getting generations together and listening to stories - grandmothers, grandfathers, aunts, uncles...oh, the stories!!!
The absence of video games

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

Edited by - Libbie on Apr 08 2006 09:31:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  09:30:09 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Well, I don't miss drive-in theatres, we have 4 in our area and we regularly go to two of them (money permitting)!

I miss family reunions, the smell of wheat being harvested, and riding my bike barefoot in the hot sun!

I miss homemade icecream too, but I'm planning to remedy that one...we have an icecream maker and I'm going to buy the "fixins" for some this weekend!

Looking Toward the Son,
Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  10:58:55 AM  Show Profile
I missed this for my kids as they grew up:

childhood safety - going to the park blocks away by yourselves and playing outside til supper
metal roller skates that went over your shoes
B&W UHF Saturday "monster" movie on TV
gumball machines for 1 cent and the cool little toys inside
when fast food was something you did maybe once in 6 months (McDonalds)

I miss these for me:
doctor house calls
the "Operator" (phone)
yelling when calling long distance
freezer at the bottom of the fridge where it should be!
100% white cotton sheets and duvet covers with the little flowers on a bed of white, untreated with resins
footy pajamas (thick cotton)
baby doll pajamas for summer
running through people's yards and kids playing in back yards all day long
real hippies
living in a converted school bus
being young

Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  12:34:58 PM  Show Profile
Here's a few things off the top of my head:
games played in reality instead of on a computer or TV -- I've had kids tell me they never play a game (yahtzee, for example) with their siblings or parents -- they play against a computer opponent!

the smell and warmth of papers just run off the mimeograph machine (yes, I know smelling the papers wasn't healthy, but I sure did like that smell)

being seen by the doctor within an hour of my appointment time

meals & conversations with friends at a restaurant without a cell phone ringing and the friend carrying on a non-necessary conversation with someone while you sit & eat

hand signals when driving

sidewalks -- & people using them

kids playing basketball at a neighborhood basketball goal until dark in the summertime

long car trips & playing games like license plate bingo, etc.

floor heater registers (I know they can be dangerous, but my grandparents had one, and I loved it)

my dad's car, I think it was a Rambler or something, that you could start and then take the keys out while it was running. We thought that was so neat.

Knowing what the prefix on your phone number meant and using that word. As a kid, my phone number was EDgewater 4-4158 (334-4158)

I'll think of some more, I'm sure. Like Mollie, I miss my memory, so more things will probably occur to me in the middle of the night. Oh, I also miss being able to sleep through the night without having to use the bathroom!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  4:32:51 PM  Show Profile
Home perms! That's the only thing I can think of.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  4:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I miss-
nightly dinners with the whole family eating together.
rural communites that cared about young people
youth activity centers- a great/safe place for teens to hangout
filling up my cars fuel tank for under 20.00 dollars
manners
things built to last
a waistline

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  5:54:53 PM  Show Profile
Catching fireflies at dusk
playing kick the can
reading the "Boxcar Children" series (over and over)
playing with my brother on the bluff overlooking the Mississippi River
Sunday (or was it Saturday) night Walt Disney movie
Summers at the lake
Greatful Dead Concerts
Being able to stay up all night and feel great the next day
My husband's very first kiss
The sweet sweet smell of my babies' skin
The first time my children said Mommy

Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  12:13:58 PM  Show Profile
I forgot:

old Coke in ice cold bottle from a machine where you pull out the bottle by its neck
those "old people resorts" and family resorts in the Alleghenies and Poconos with the wooden cabins and the big community dining room
uncles "magically" pulling a nickel out of your ear
Depression stories of courage and helping each other
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  5:45:54 PM  Show Profile
great question miss mollie ... we do have a really fun drive-in movie theater just 7 miles from our home .. ha! closer than a restaurant or grocery store! and we even have a couple full-service gas stations (you CAN pump your own if you want to though).

I love to report that we have lots of polite children here in Kentucky .. i think it is still a family value down here. and hank and i always meet each other at the airport .. that's an important one for us!

MEMORY .. yep! sometimes that one slips by me!

libbie loved hearing your momma and poppa's list!

katee .. i miss the 'ice cream man' (good humor .. in his white uniform .. white truck) and drippy pop-sickles!

allison .. baby doll pajamas .. oh my .. we felt so 'sexy' in those .. even though we didn't really know what 'sexy' meant!

playing hide and go seek in front of our 'row houses' with all the neighborhood kids .. until we were called in for 'bath time' .. or our favorite new phenomenon .. TV!!!

patti .. YES! no cell-phones connected to us like an umbilical cord coming out of our ear!! when friends and family WERE our entertainment! all the kids wallking together to the local movie theatere for a saturday afternoon matinee .. and it was only a quarter!!!!! and sharing our 'ju-ju-bees' .. the ones that stuck our teeth together!

FOUR DIGIT phone numbers and no such thing as 'area codes' and 'zip codes'!
hand-written letters!!!

robin .. oh my yes! those home perms which usually frizzeled our hair and we were embarrassed for weeks afterwards .. because we looked like a french poodle .. but when it 'relaxed' .. like labor pains .. we forgot the frizzles .. and did it all over again in about six months!

WALKING to school with friends .. we all went to LOCAL schools just a few blocks from our homes!

STREETCARS and the clang clang clang and gently rolling action .. and those little boxes that we put our 'tokens' into! and the excitement of seeing olde friends on the BUS .. or meeting new ones!

FIVE AND DIME STORES!!!

drug store lunch counters (we have one of those in our cute village drug store!!!

BETH .. yes ... youth centers .. YWCA .. and YMCA .. boys and girls clubs and "Christian Youth Crusade every Saturday night for teens" .. great, safe way to socialize!

DAWN .. oh how we loved to catch 'lightening bugs' and peek into our dark fist to see them light up! and collecting them in a jar (but just for a few hours .. and then, of course, letting them fly free!) and yes! first kisses! and snuggles from our children when they were little ones.

oh couldn't these lists just go on and on and on! we all NEED to recreate some of these things in our lives again! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  6:13:04 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Drew hardbacks for $1.25 (yes, I'm that old). I spent every Friday night with my grandparents -- alternating with my mom's parents one week and my dad's mother the other. My grandmother lived in an apartment and every time I spent the night with her, we'd walk 15 blocks or so to the downtown shopping area, where the only bookstore in town was, and if there was a ND book I didn't have, I bought it. If not, I'd settle for something else. I have almost the entire set of hardback Nancy Drew books. The modernized paperbacks just aren't the same.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  9:57:34 PM  Show Profile
"wind-wing" windows in cars (You remember those small, triangular ones set in the front windows. Better than air conditioning!).

Girl Scout cookies for a dollar a box (yes, I'm that old).

Being able to walk or bike around town (safely).

Thinking I could "do it better" when I was grown up.

Dial phones connected to the wall (I confess, I do still have one of these in my kitchen).

Getting up to change the TV channel.

Black and white TV.

The Beatles.

Transistor radios.

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  10:25:43 PM  Show Profile
I miss...

*Letters - everybody sends e-mails now.
*Porches and sidewalks - everybody drives now.
*Unique stores - seems every town/city has the same chain stores.
*Being able to hand a cup of coffee and donuts to an officer who is directing traffic on a rainy night - Now day's I don't think they would trust that they were safe to eat.
*Full service gas stations.
*Glass bottled milk - only one dairy does it out here still.
*Things that lasted and would be repaired - now it seems everything is disposable.
*Neighbors who visited - now everybody works 8-6 and is on the go.
*MANNERS

I'm busy trying to put back the things I miss. I put in new phone wiring but I also yanked out all my new touchtone phones save one and put in rotary dial ones. I look for the unique pieces that come from stores and other places and also from other times. I bake cookies and take them down to the sheriff's station with a thank you card and my name and number; and to the neighbors just to say hello and be friendly.

Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  06:00:43 AM  Show Profile
Walking 2 blocks to watch the "Monkees" on the only color TV we knew of.
Playing safely all over the whole neighborhood and then under the street light till we were made to come in!
Catching lighting bugs and fuzzy catipillars, making a village in the woods and playing there all summer. Having neighborhood pagents and talent shows , skating in everyones basement with the old "key skates"
Playing sports and doing cheerleading in someones yard with out practices and adults involved. Walking to school/ Being on the saftey patrol , The ice cream man!, coke in a bottle, knowing everone in the neighborhood and going in there house. Piling in my neighbors stationwagon (too many of us and no seat belt) to go somewhere -she was the only MoM on the street with a car! Riding the bus Downtown to the ONLY big box store (Sears& Robucks) , Good old TV shows like bewitched , gillian ,beverly hillbillies , little rascles, and all those wholesome shows we planned eachweek to watch because there was no VCR to tape an see later. BIG Movie Theaters and only one movie to choose from,Comfortable shoes like penny loafers amd saddle oxfords. My first basketball shoes (canvas Converse Hightops)

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/

Edited by - garliclady on Apr 10 2006 06:19:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  07:06:52 AM  Show Profile
for me I miss;
manners, when Im in public & someone rushes past nearly knocking you over w/ no apology
Letting a child or older adult have a seat when 10 teens are sitting while they stand
not being able to go shopping w/ your family without hearing curse words you'd never say
sitting in my livingroom w/ my family reading our Bible or praying without hearing the neighbor fighting w/ his wife
just the normal respect for each other as human beings, love, care & respect. Where & when did it leave us?

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  10:40:47 AM  Show Profile
Child being able to ride in a car, front seat or back with no car seat or seat belt. My mother used to use a laundry basket in the backseat to put a baby in. Also we would take trips in our custom van and I could ride in the back on the fold out bed.
Glass juice bottles
Swimming in a pool, lake or pond w/o thinking about germs, pollution, parasites
Innocence
A park in my home town that was huge with trails and a pond that we could walk around (used to sit by the pond with my high school sweetheart's arm around me--he is now my husband *Grin*)
Mowing the grass with my dad growing up--he would wear a wet towel around his neck to keep cool, and then we would drink enormous glasses of iced tea
I used to walk to church.
Sitting in the livingroom with my parents listening to records
Excitement of watching movies with my parents
Doing anything with both my parents as a child, meals, shopping, yardwork, etc.
Eating cake and ice cream in a bowl mixed up together
TG&Y
My first fishing pole
Bobby pin curls
Cheap gas (I think someone mentioned the gas tank for less than $20)
Riding bareback
My little motorcycle with the lawn mower engine that my dad welded together for me
Falling asleep on my dad
Falling asleep in the car and my dad carrying me into the house on his shoulder
Riding my bike everywhere
My body 18 year old body

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  11:01:20 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
heres one i forgot, the olde candy shoppe where it was all a penny. it was all lined up in glass jars and you could scoop some into a bag. i loved walking there after school.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  11:05:37 AM  Show Profile
Let's see.....
Play all day into the evening in the summers
watching the fluffing clouds slide over the sky and making shapes of them
making up dance routines to paula abdul and gloria estevan
my imaginary friends
Falling asleep on my Dad's belly
my Mom playing with my hair
swimming all day at the swim club and being so water logged at night before bed, the snacks at the swim club, getting ticks in hair from playing int he woods at the club.
playing with my brother in the creek behind my Grandmom's
When DH and I were first married - riding around the Santa Monica all day on our bikes with nothing to do, sending all day in the down town library.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com
www.smallsqrl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  11:26:02 AM  Show Profile
What a great yet sad topic. If so many of us in the world miss these things, it's a shame we can't make the world the place we want it to be. While I feel as though some things unfortunately have gone past the point of no return, I still think that money talks! Try and support the types of businesses and people that make the world the type of place you want to live in.

Things I miss most

Safety for our children: In the summer, when my husband and I were growing up, we'd leave right after breakfast and wouldn't come home until lunch, then back out again until the streetlights were on. Now it's not safe enough to not know where your kids are ALL the time and who they're with and what route their taking home in they are playing at a friends house and call me when you get there...etc.

People walking & riding their bike places

Block parties with your neighbors! One thing I can say about living in the country is that I know more of my neighbors that are 1/4 mile a way then I did when they were 10 ft from me in the subdivision.

Innocence & purity: Things seem so tainted these days. (maybe it's just me) Little girls dressing way too old for their age (not sure at what age it's appropriate to show your g-string at the top of your low, low, way too low cut jeans!) Boys growing up with video game characters as their friends instead of real friends or their father and other male influences.

The smell of fresh clean air. I live in a little town and even when I'm walking, it stinks like cars!

Drive ins: I remember taking a bath, getting in my jammies and having my Mom roll my hair in curlers. Then we'd pile in the van for a night at the Drive in.

Having my Mom roll my hair in curlers: I NEVER thought I'd miss this one but just thinking about going to the Drive in made me think of it. I always hated the way my hair looked when she'd first take them out but now I kind of miss it.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  1:09:00 PM  Show Profile
I miss:

Goods that were built to last (and in the US, even!)
Small scale food production/family farms as the norm, not a gourmet oddity.
Basic public decency.
The illusion that our society was functioning to protect the wellbeing of the average person.
Unscheduled, unplanned fun.
Swimming in Lake Ontario, before it got all clogged up with stinking zebra mussels and algae.

Here are a couple of things that I don't think anyone else mentioned:

Pay phones.
Singing actual hymns out of hymnals at church.
Zines. So much cooler than blogs or myspace. (Photocopied DIY magazines, in case you don't know.)

Planning to miss in the future:

Interstate highways.
Polar bears.
Social security.
Plentiful clean drinking water.

Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  1:25:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Amie C.

Here are a couple of things that I don't think anyone else mentioned:

Pay phones.
Singing actual hymns out of hymnals at church.
Zines. So much cooler than blogs or myspace. (Photocopied DIY magazines, in case you don't know.)

We sing actual hymns in our church every Sunday and Wednesday nights. We have a very good pastor who loves to do this, I should tell him how much that it is appreciated!

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  3:47:06 PM  Show Profile
One thing from my childhood that I can't imagine happening today is the monthly township meeting - all the farmers, wives and kids getting together once a month to figure out all the important township business..... (I don't know what it was, maybe how to do maintenance on the snowplow???) We met in the township hall, which was an old one-room schoolhouse.

But the kids played board games or cards, or caught lightning bugs or played kickball ..... there was an OUTHOUSE instead of a restroom.... the ladies outdid each other making fancy desserts to impress everyone... and the men all sat around in a circle discussing the weather and how their crops were doing and the price of corn and soybeans... the ladies traded recipes and sewing tips..

We don't know our neighbors now like we did back then. And there are a lot more of them...

When there was a new person in the neighborhood everyone took over a pie or some in-season produce to introduce ourselves and get acquainted. Likewise a funeral or an illness, everyone in the whole township cooked casseroles for the family.

Now we sometimes don't even know if someone is sick...I don't know the people who live three doors down.

(I wonder what is stopping me from taking a pie over to them????)

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  9:32:59 PM  Show Profile
This is great!
Rag curls
catching frogs in the pump house
friends just dropping by
sitting by the road trying to get the log trucks to honk
lemon-ade stands
ice cream trucks
I agree on with the manners and purity. Wh is propriety so wrong now days?
wanting to hear grampa's stories
Rebecca, we sing hymns from real hymn books too, both Sunday and Wednseday. My daughters boyfriend who is a music major was playing the violin with my husband one day. My DH asked him to go to a certian hymn. He didn't even know how to look up the hymn. He said the church he goes to has never used hymns. WE were shocked! How do you teach kids the wonderful harmonies, let alone the words of these great songs if hymn books aren't used. Sorry, my soapbox.
Here's another one, soapbox derbies.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  04:40:07 AM  Show Profile
What a fun topic!

I miss yogurt containers that were waxed paper. I hate it when I buy yogurt now that has a plastic taste to it.

Foods made with SUGAR, not high fructose corn syrup. That stuff's freaking EVERYWHERE.

Farmers who were diversified. Then if one crop failed, others would pick up the slack.

My mom. I really miss my mom, and the day to day contact with her. But as she would say, if everyone stayed here, then there wouldn't be any room in the world for new babies. I sure miss her though.

Hats. Most everyone wore hats. Your outfit was not complete without them. And gloves. Sometimes I wish they'd come back. They were so whimsical.

Home dairy delivery. I remember having a milkman, and the bottles were glass. Old ones went out to the milkbox, and new full ones would appear, along with ice cream, cottage cheese, sour cream, etc.

I miss being able to go outside and play all day, riding my bike or walking to a friend's. I don't think those days were safer, though; I believe we just perceived them that way. In those days, many crimes against women and children went unreported. When I was a kid, I remember hearing noises in our yard one night. My mother asked me about it the next morning, and at the age of six or seven I found out what rape was. Well, not literally; but from what a child that age could absorb. A teen was walking home from babysitting that evening, and was assaulted. This was a nice neighborhood in the middle of a wealthy suburban town. I remember my mother angrily telling her friend that the victim had to be a ninety year old nun with three witnesses in order to get a conviction. There was no arrest, even though the victim knew the perpetrator, as she was told there would be scandal, and rape would be hard to prove.

I think in those days, people didn't report incest, or rape, or molestations. They were whispered about, and the hushed tones of adults indicated something bad had happened; but nothing much was ever done. I believe we perceive it's worse now, but only because it's more out in the open. I wish it hadn't cost the freedom of the children, though. We felt so powerful on our own, flying through the neighborhoods on our bikes, or exploring the woods, fields, and rivers. *sigh*
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  05:45:23 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
I thought of a few more:
*piano lessons from my grandma
*walking through the wheat fields in June
*picking mulberries by the creek
*shooting tin cans with a pellet gun
*skipping rocks on the pond (and my cousin doing it with cow patties and thinking the "rocks" were floating)
*fresh cow milk at my grandma's
*no-bake oatmeal cookies with my other grandma
*learning how to knit with my cousins (and getting into a yarn throwing contest from one loft to the other above my uncle's living room)
*riding my horse bareback (even the one who bit me, bucked me off, held air in her gut to keep the saddle loose, and ran me through
hedge trees)
*swimming and fishing in the river
*eating soy beans we had grown ourselves (we always saved 2-3 five-gallon buckets of them back from the elevator to last all year)

Wow! I guess I miss the innocence of my childhood, even though it wasn't nearly as innocent and romantic as I like to remember. I miss living on a farm too!

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  12:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
It is not something that disappered from my life but i miss the days when C-sections were not the norm and no one looked at you like you were a freak for wanting to have your child at home with no drugs or even at the hospital with no drugs.

Valerie
Alaska Girl all the way
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What has "Disappeared" from your world? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page