Page: of 4

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  09:17:22 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
I have got this idea, It might be a little crazy, but here goes. A couple weeks back DH & I went to a Home & Garden show, were many people came from surrounding counties. I found myself wondering if there were any FarmGirls around. Then just last weekend we went on a camping trip down in Kentucky, and while there us girls went to the "Tater Days" over in Benton. And again I found myself wondering if there were any FarmGirls around. Wouldn't it be great if we could come up with a unfied little symbol. I know alot of you use your aprons as a way to spot each other at farmers markets and such. However, how many of you wear your apron while on vacation. I keep seeing the red hat with purple ribbon and I know that the lady wearing it is part of the Red Hat Society. It could be something as simple as the letters FG or a sunflower. The symbol can be embroidered, stamped, painted, drawn, or ironed on many surfaces. For those who are talented enough jewelry could be fashioned.

Wouldn't it be fun to be at Disney World and spot a fellow FarmGirl, or standing in an airport, or where every you might be. We could even put in on a flag and fly it at our farms. When a fellow FarmGirl drives by they know there is friend there.

I think this could be a fun and creative way to express ourselves. What do you all think?

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  09:53:58 AM  Show Profile
I am always looking for the farmgirl bumper stickers..but havn't spotted anyone but me with one yet...I will probably act like an idiot and embarrass my kids when I DO see another farmgirl driving along..
I agree that it would be fun to spot a farmgirl somehwere!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  3:56:35 PM  Show Profile
I like the sunflower idea. That would be great to spot fellow farmgirls.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  09:30:44 AM  Show Profile
What a fun idea! I look for farmgirl bumper stickers, too - but I think a little "mascot"-type symbol would be fun, too...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  09:32:16 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
I'm partial to sunflowers, so that sounds good to me! (Not only my "name", but it's my home state's flower! LOL)

Looking Toward the Son,
Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  10:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I like sunflowers too. We need to get as many people to vote and then find the right way to display it. keep the great ideas coming in.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  1:41:12 PM  Show Profile
LOl I would love to spot another farmgirl, but am the only one here. :) Happy to have a sunflower to show what I am though. :)
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  4:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
one place i would love to visit is new zealand. so you never know.......

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  6:59:47 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
I love this idea girls!!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  7:38:49 PM  Show Profile
Great idea, Elizabeth! With all the creative ladies here, I'm sure someone will come up with an adorable sunflower.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  8:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
Great Idea I would proudly wear/show one. i wish i couls see some farm girls around here.

Valerie
Alaska Girl all the way
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  05:13:34 AM  Show Profile
In the words of Barney the Purple Dinosaur.....SUPER DEE DOOPER!!

The red hat ladies have a great visual....the hat. It sits on top the head and can be seen from all angles and heights.

A shirt pin / brooch is pretty but can be seen only if the gal is facing you. We might get in trouble with a pin, too. Think.....you're walking around a flea market or garden show.....you want your sunflower to be seen and noticed.......you stand tall and hold your shoulders back......you end up walking around sticking your breasts out and getting the wrong attention!! HA HA HA Even so, I would proudly wear a pin

How about a MaryJane wide brimmed hat with a sunflower accessory added. Although, at this time, it would not be a well known symbol like the red hats, it would look nice with just about any outfit and at any event. Other gals would see it and want one and come up to you and ask, "I love your hat, where did you get it?" And, voila, the conversation is open for spreading the Farmgirl love.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  07:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
i like the straw hat idea with the sunflower, and agreed it would be easier to spot. I just happen to have bought myself a new one the other day!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  08:50:24 AM  Show Profile
I like the sunflower hat idea, too, and I was also brainstorming about what other ideas are out there -- Here's another idea -- what about instituting a resurgence of aprons? That seems to be so much a part of the "farmgirl" idea and lifestyle - it could be an apron emblem, or even a real one - it's practical, cute, relatively easy-to-make, can be made in a variety of styles, and is definitely easy to spot. I was just thinking of things that are unique to the "farmgirl" lifestyle, and this may be one of them... Now that I'm in the habit (so to speak!) of wearing an apron, it's really become something that I love to do, and it DOES make me feel like the farmgirl that I am and want to be... What do you think?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  08:59:04 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane has a wonderful purse for sale on her website that has her photo on it. If I ever saw someone carrrying that I know I would run up to them and say howdy. It is the cutest bag, and I have been wanting one. And her hats with I Dig Farmgirls on it would be a sure sign to all of us farmgirls, too. Maybe there is already a product in existence that we could order and it could become our MJF badge of honor.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  10:24:24 AM  Show Profile
It would be nice if there was a cap that said "proud to be a farmgirl" maybe with a sunflower emblem on it. That would be great.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  10:35:58 AM  Show Profile
Edited to add -- I found my stronger reading glasses and read the small print (well, not so small to a younger person) and the free hat is only to the first 100 respondants! Also, it must be postmarked by May 8. I think I'll just pick one up at one of my junk stores or a discount/dollar store. I thought about deleting this post, if that's an option, but I figured some of you might have already read my post, and I just hope you read this again and see this addition. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

I don't want to say the name of the product, in case it's against the rules of the site, but a well-known manufacturer of house hold cleansers, family care, and paper products is offering, I think through the month of May, a free straw hat to anyone buying one of their skin care with certain # (shoot, can't remember what the initals are -- SPF??) of sun-screen. Does that make sense? I saw the ad and the coupon in a magazine and cut it out. If anyone is interested and I can find out it's not against the rules, I'll share more specific information.

The straw hat is really cute.

Oh, the purpose behind the campaign, other than to sell the lotion, is something about May and cancer prevention for women. THey're promoting skin cancer prevention.

Edited by - happymama58 on Apr 09 2006 12:32:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  2:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
What about (whether handcrafted yourself, or marketed by MJF) the baseball cap idea with "Farmgirl is a condition of the heart" and little sunflowers embroidered on the front of the cap. Or, if you're not into baseball caps, it could be embroidered on a hat band to go around your straw hat. I think a beige or light brown fabric (thinking tea-stained color) with the embroidery in a sage would look pretty and go with almost anything you would wear.... Or a beige cap with sage embroidery....

My 2 cents! :)

Katee

"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  6:28:18 PM  Show Profile
I really like the idea of the hatband; that way we could put it on whatever style hat we prefer. How do you/we go about running this by MaryJane to see what she thinks?

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  8:31:52 PM  Show Profile
i'm thinking it is a good idea to 'spell it out' .. with the word FARMGIRL .. be it on a hat, purse, apron, pin, patch, flag, scarf, t-shirt, jacket, our boots, etc. etc. .. since we don't all always wear a hat .. or carry the same purse, or might not want to walk around waving a flag or sticking a bumper sticker on our own personal 'bumpers' .. it might be a good idea to have LOTS of these items with FARMGIRL emblazoned on them .. so that we can wear or carry different accessories at different times. It would be fun to see the different things that everyone might come up with announcing our FARMGIRL status to the world! I too, love SUNFLOWERS .. and that could be our 'totem'. Or if someone thinks of wheat, corn, potatoes, farm critters, etc. etc. as symbolizing 'the farm' .. those could be incorporated .. or even just loud and clear .. the words:

F A R M G I R L

what do you all think of each of us creating a personal 'FARMGIRL' item that can be seen and noticed when we are out and about .. and sharing our creations with each other.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

rockinhorse
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Robin
yucca valley Ca
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  9:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Send rockinhorse an AOL message  Send rockinhorse a Yahoo! Message
I really like the idea of the hat with the sunflower on it. Very visual and it would go with almost anything. Would work for vacation, expos, and even picnics. It would serve a great perpose for uniting farmgirls and protection from the sun :)

Robin

Happiness must be grown in one's own garden!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  04:55:35 AM  Show Profile
gurlfrenz .. i don't wear baseball caps (i'm usually wearing a long flowy skirt and somehow .. i don't think the two would 'go' together .. and i rarely wear hats at all .. i don't like 'hat hair' that happens with this wild bush on my head after i take a hat off .. and if it's hot outside .. (unless i'm in the sun for a long time) .. a hat would make my head boil. i'm still thinking that if we limit ourselves to ONE product .. it really won't get worn as much as a variety of things. what thinketh thou?

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  05:08:44 AM  Show Profile
I think the Farm needs to revitalize some shirts thay used to have for sale. They were cotton, with long sleeves or short, and were more stylish than a plan t-shirt. They had her logo on the front, and were shown in one of her magazines. I almost bought one then, but did not.

I love the sunflower idea for an emblem. That seems universal to all tastes and is bright and cheery. It would be fun to have a line of shirts, hats and denim jackets with sunflowers on them.

Peace

Edited by - jpbluesky on Apr 10 2006 05:16:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  05:26:12 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
Wow! You girls really get into the spirit of things. I think Frannie is right on the money. If we keep it simple, then each one of us can interpret it into our one style. Whether your at Disneyland or out for a nice dinner with DH. I typically only wear baseball hats at my kids sports events. If you think about the Red Hat Ladies. They use their red hat on everything. Whether it is jewelry, hats, bags, t-shirts, aprons, bumper stickers, flags, magnets, and what ever else you can thing of. The idea that the symbol be universal, I think, is important. I also think it is important that it isn't something that is not marketed. The image should be freely distributed so that all of us Farmgirls can use it in anyway. Because isn't that kind of what we are about. Each of us has a different style, yet we all have something in common. If the image is freely distributed then we are free to put it anywhere. You can make your own magnet, bumber sticker, t-shirt, bag, hat, or anything your heart desires. It can be embroidered, or painted on any surface.

Keep the ideas coming, and we will get something going!

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  06:21:24 AM  Show Profile
I hate to bring this up again, in case you all thought it was a dumb idea and are just being too nice to say it, but on the other hand I'm thinking my suggestion may have been lost in the midst of all this creativity. Anyway, this was my thought, probably not stated this clearly the first time.

Do you think we should run this by MaryJane before getting too far along? Maybe she has an idea she'd prefer. I'd love to hear her thoughts, get her blessing , what-have-you.

What do you ladies think?

Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  06:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by CabinCreek-Kentucky

i'm thinking it is a good idea to 'spell it out' .. with the word FARMGIRL .. be it on a hat, purse, apron, pin, patch, flag, scarf, t-shirt, jacket, our boots, etc. etc. .. since we don't all always wear a hat .. or carry the same purse, or might not want to walk around waving a flag or sticking a bumper sticker on our own personal 'bumpers' .. it might be a good idea to have LOTS of these items with FARMGIRL emblazoned on them .. so that we can wear or carry different accessories at different times. It would be fun to see the different things that everyone might come up with announcing our FARMGIRL status to the world! I too, love SUNFLOWERS .. and that could be our 'totem'. Or if someone thinks of wheat, corn, potatoes, farm critters, etc. etc. as symbolizing 'the farm' .. those could be incorporated .. or even just loud and clear .. the words:

F A R M G I R L

what do you all think of each of us creating a personal 'FARMGIRL' item that can be seen and noticed when we are out and about .. and sharing our creations with each other.

True Friends, Frannie

I think that's a great idea Frannie. I went to the hats b/c that's what everyone had mentioned. I like the idea of maybe just embroidering or painting "Farmgirl" on items and maybe adding the sunflower, sounds perfect to me! *Farmgirl* <---kind of like that, with a small sunflower on each side would be cute, or you could have a bigger sunflower with a "banner" that says Farmgirl.

Does something like this "have" to be approved by MaryJane? I'm new here, so I don't know. But it seems to me that the word "farmgirl" is pretty much public domain and we could do whatever we want to with it. But I may be wrong.

Katee

"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Spotting a FarmGirl idea?l Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page