Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Neighbors dog just killed one of my hens
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Neighbors dog just killed one of my hens Next Topic  

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  5:56:15 PM  Show Profile
Yes, And I witnessed it.. makes me so angry! Couldnt get to her fast enough. Sad... Now I know what has happened to the other missing 3 hens.. Sadly the girls are now penned up in the back yard. They have plenty forage room with the garden & 8 ft fence... but not the freedom they had... they have been fine for the past 11 months! Now down to 6 girls sharing the studio... guess I will have to order chickies in the spring again....

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen
Be sure to check us out
http://www.Klamathfallscharmingchicks.blogspot.com and my personal
Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Grandmas are mom's with more icing.

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  6:20:59 PM  Show Profile
Sorry once a dog does that you really have to watch because they will never stop.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  6:51:37 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, that's terrible to have had to see it happen. Darn dogs. I hope the neighbor knows what's happened. I am so sorry.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  6:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Diana is absolutely right. I have one of those chicken killing dogs. While he is tightly penned up at all times when not on a leash with me, he would love nothing better than to get over to the neighbors chickens. It makes me just sick to think about it. Im sorry that happened to you Cheryl.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  12:58:14 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl - I hope that your neighbors will keep the dog penned up. That is just so frustrating to lose chickens like that.

Handmade Soap, Lotion Bars & More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  03:21:41 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry to hear of you losing one of the ladies "(

http://www.tribalhorse.blogspot.com ..... http://www.tribalbarter.blogspot.com ( items for sale here )
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  05:17:42 AM  Show Profile
That is so frustrating. Years ago, my neighbor's dog would jump the fence and attack my chickens. The neighbor acted like I shouldn't have something that the dog wants to eat......CRAZY!

Sorry for your loss.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  05:19:18 AM  Show Profile
sorry to here about your girls being attacked like that

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  05:27:34 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry about your hens, I have a hungry fox, and he seems to know just the right time to get one of mine. I hope your neighbor knows, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  05:51:01 AM  Show Profile
So sorry to hear of your dog trouble with your hens. Don't know about where you live, but here in rural Ark. there are laws on the books to protect your livestock. Had this happen with our hens and when I talked to the neighbor about it, he didn't believe his dog would do such a thing and right about that time, here came his dog, my hen in his mouth. Still his only response was that he couldn't afford a fence to keep the dog penned in. So I called the local animal control agent, she came out and made him a visit and a good talking to and since then, the fence has been in place. I try to be a good neighbor and just expect that of my neighbors too. You might call the animal control folks and see what they recommend you do.

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  06:20:15 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear the bad news! I was out feeding and watering my hens yesterday and my neighbors puppy ran into the pen, luckily I was there to shoo her out! Bad habit I need to end! I will be devasted if she kills one of my hens, I am down to 6 after having 12.

Kelly
Farmgirl #238

May your bobbin always be full...
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  06:51:22 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl- Did you call dog control? If not then call them now and everytime you see that dog off his property. Trust me, when they get tired of answering your every complaint the will slap the owner with a fine. I know it's not "neighborly" but neither is letting your chicken killing dog run loose! We had this problem with our neighbor and when dog control finally gave him a fine his dogs stopped coming onto our property. Good Luck.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  08:11:14 AM  Show Profile
The neighbor was called, very apologetic. said she would try to keep her dog in a pen..to shoot him if he came back.. we would not do that...but only to scare him.... . They live on 20 acres we have one.. I hate to see or have any animal penned.. We can hope she will make sure he isnt allowed out...We do live in the country out of city limits... and I realize these things happen... but I want my chickens.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen
Be sure to check us out
http://www.Klamathfallscharmingchicks.blogspot.com and my personal
Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Grandmas are mom's with more icing.
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  08:36:11 AM  Show Profile
I have kind of a strange way to stop the dog killing chickens. This cure is kind of gross but works. My Grandma-in-law would take the dead chicken and tie it around the neck until it was disgusting. The dogs didn't kill chickens after that. Like a said it is a gross cure but worked for her.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  08:53:01 AM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry, but, if a neighbors dog did that here, most likely he would not make it off my property. He would have been shot ( once they kill, thats it and it will get worse, lambs, kids, running horses , etc ), then i would have called said neighbor to bring over $XX.XX to pay for damage and to pick up the bodies to dispose of. And I would expect no less, if it was one of my dogs.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  5:46:20 PM  Show Profile
I am sooo sorry to hear you lost a hen. I love all my chicken dearly. I do agree with Teresa. I would have shot the dog, and made the call.
I hope you can keep that dog off your property.
I have heard the dead chicken tied to the dog works?!?
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  12:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ingrid

I have kind of a strange way to stop the dog killing chickens. This cure is kind of gross but works. My Grandma-in-law would take the dead chicken and tie it around the neck until it was disgusting. The dogs didn't kill chickens after that. Like a said it is a gross cure but worked for her.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!

One of my friends told me her dad did that with one of their dogs when she was a child and it really worked!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  8:37:16 PM  Show Profile
My lab got loose today. He didnt get hold of the neighbors chickens because thankfully we were home but I was sure he was going to get one. I hope I never have to try that dead chicken trick...

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

kylecov04
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Lisa
Eugene OR
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  10:37:11 PM  Show Profile
Lost my 7th chicken this weekend. Chased the neighbors dogs down with my chicken in its mouth and collected my dead chicken. The dog came right up on our front porch to grab it. The neighbors know their dogs have been killing chickens, more than once. Neighbor admits to 3 deaths. Is it true that Animal Control will just warn the neighbors in Oregon when the killing is witnessed?
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  12:34:48 PM  Show Profile
lisa, do the 3 s's, shoot, shovel and shut-up

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

simplecomfort
True Blue Farmgirl

60 Posts

Tawnya
Rural Orrick Mo
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  12:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Send simplecomfort an AOL message
so sorry to hear as well. that happened to me before we moved.. 2 dogs killed 30 chickens in a matter of minutes.. i had just turned out the babies from spring. made me sick. i have a great pyrenees now and she keeps other dogs and possum, coons, etc away but doesnt bother the chickens. great dogs!

"Thank God I'm a country girl"
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  04:29:29 AM  Show Profile
My own "mild-mannered" 12 year old yellow lab, Annie, killed some of my hens. We were SHOCKED! She even took the time to break into the pen one day. No one saw it until it was too late. Now I am vigilant about keeping Annie leashed. What upsets me is that she thinks she is doing something good...she brings the dead bird to the back porch, wagging her tail. At least wild animals eat the poor things! I've heard the trick about tying the rotting hen to the dog's neck. Our younger lab mix was trained NOT to chase the chickens, but Annie was a rescue at age 4 so we don't know her history. Sorry to hear about your loss. Free ranging chickens is dangerous, but what's a farm girl to do? It seems unnatural to keep them penned. Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  05:41:29 AM  Show Profile
We had the same problem. Stared out with 12 hens, now I'm down to 7. I know the neighbor found 3 on their porch, but did nothing to further contain their dogs. And to beat it all, the chicken killer was a Great Pyrneese mix. After numerous calls to the neighbor to tell her that her dogs are over here, again, hubby did the 3 S's. Now their lab mix puppy is jumping the fence. To sit directly behind the kennel my dogs are in when they aren't with me.
Here in NV if your dog is "harassing" livestock it is within the livestock owners rights to shoot the dog. Living in the middle of cattle/ranch country it makes sense. We only have one animal control officer for the whole county, so I can't always afford to wait for her to show up.
I have way too much $$ in horse flesh standing a few feet away. And the chickens love to "eat" with the horses. So as hard as it is, I agree with the three S's.

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page

Moodene
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

Nadine
Devers Texas
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  06:19:54 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Moodene's MSN Messenger address  Send Moodene a Yahoo! Message
I would do the same thing about the three S's with no problem at all.

Love me like I am. farmgirl #801
Go to Top of Page

gr8tfulmom
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Sarah
South Haven MI
143 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  07:57:19 AM  Show Profile
S, S & S here too. I have to say you have a very realistic country neighbor, the owners of the pits we triple S-ed couldn't understand why we were just such meanies....could've been the dismembered pygmy goats and 6 dead rabbits (3 separate incidents). I hope you can keep that dogger away from your hens.

Farmgirl sister #779

http://symbioticstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Neighbors dog just killed one of my hens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page