Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 weaning pygmy baby (annie may)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic weaning pygmy baby (annie may) Next Topic  

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  08:27:07 AM  Show Profile
some of you girls will remember annie. she was born nov. 15th. is she old enough to be weaned? she is fat and sassy and eats goat chow and hay and alfalfa. she is so cute and happy. jumping and twisting sideways.if it is better to keep her on then ok.we want what is best for annie. we are creating a whole new area for her and mama at her real home. when i am done fostering them i am going to look for another lamancha. that way ginger will not be alone. thanks sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  08:31:52 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I would think so Sherry. It sounds like she is happy and healthy!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  11:28:39 AM  Show Profile
Sherry, if you're not milking the doe I would leave the kid on as long as you want. At least til 6 months. Because then you have to worry about drying up the doe. This way the doe will wean the kid naturally. But that's up to you really. I hope you can find another Lamancha for your girl. I wish we lived closer. I could sell you one of mine.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  12:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
opps, I didn't do the math. I agree that you should leave her on till 6 months also.
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  7:10:09 PM  Show Profile
hi girls, so mama will wean her kid? i just read a post on kfc. it said that cows will generally not wean their calves. then when new calf comes older calf steals the good stuff.i only saw this since we have a dexter cow due in april. her calf is in the field with her. no one sees him nurse her. we figured she weaned him. his name is dinner. lol .so now not so sure. boy i do not want to have to move him. anyway it would be great if she could just keep nursing and stop when mama says so. there is no plan of breeding any of these foster goats. only ginger my milk goat. so she could have her baby annie mae as long as she wants to nurse her? thanks girls. it is so fun these baby goats. she is happy all the time. sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  10:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
you got it Sherry! Just let mama do her work! She'll ween her kid when she wants too. I hope everything goes great for you!!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

sacredwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kristy
Narka Kansas
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  09:59:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see sacredwolf's MSN Messenger address  Send sacredwolf a Yahoo! Message
The babies should be on a min. of four months (the very min.) but unless there is a reason to wean the baby then goats will wean their own babies. I never wean any of my kids. Goats are not like other animals that you have to watch and makes sure that the wean their young. I was so used to goats that when we had our baby donkey, I did not worry about weaning her and she cont. to suck on mom way past time to wean I mean WAY past time, of course she was a very big and healthy donkey because of it. Good luck!!!
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  07:13:36 AM  Show Profile
thanks everyone, this makes it easier for me. so glad. lots of spring stuff going on.i weaned cocoa the calf i am now getting the cream. yipee sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic weaning pygmy baby (annie may) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page