True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  10:37:47 AM  Show Profile
Girls,
I need HERB help. I see all these great cooking ideas that call for fresh herbs. Where do I start? Seeds, plants. and I don't live in the south, so the growing season here would be about the middle of may till fall, So I figure I have to do something about may 15th. I know they can be started in the house but I don't really have a good place, lots of curtains, other plants etc. etc. So, should I buy the plants already started, maybe put them all in one large container? Do I keep cutting them back or let them run amock? What would you recomend as the most usefull to have on hand? notice I already have them running amock and I don't even have them in the dirt yet. See I'am pretty sure this is going to work out.
NANCY JO

Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  12:32:29 PM  Show Profile
HI Nancy.I grow almost all my herbs from seed.Thyme,sage,& parsley are easy.Parsley takes awhile to germinate.If you don't have a sunny windowsill,growlights are needed.I buy tarragon,rosemary as they are too slow.Love to grow bronze fennel for its looks,but put it out in a far corner as n;ot only does it grow tall,it has a smell other things don't like.Dill is easy but also grows tall.I like the Italian parsley best.Cilantro needs to be reseeded every 3 wks. as it goes to seed fast.I start things here about March 2nd.-10th,except for things that grow fast(like dill).Make sure the spearmint is in its own corner or better yet in a pot(it spreads)!I also love borage,it has the prettiest blue flowers./try buying lavender starts,it;s a slow germinator(try Lavender Lady)if you're brave enough to start it from seed./that variety works good for me. I built a window box outside my kitchen window and put a variety of my favorites in there.The thyme should be cut back after about 2-3" as it needs to bush out. /good luck
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  12:42:21 PM  Show Profile
Don't forget about basil. Mmmmm, pesto.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  1:23:18 PM  Show Profile
Dorothy
Thanks for the feeback. Got me to thinking I could maybe put a window box outside my kitchen window. I wrote down all the ones you named and the basil that Laura mentioned. Now how much do you think could be planted in a reg size window box and still turn into something. I could still do some in pots.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  09:54:04 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo - I have recently discovered the book "The Pleasure of Herbs" by Phyllis Shaudys, and it really is a great one - it will take you from seed to table....

I also love basil - the sweet Genovese type, and dill...

Enjou!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  10:15:37 AM  Show Profile
I have some of my herbs through out my flower garden - they smell wonderful and some bloom. My rosemary is huge, I love cutting it for fresh herb cooking. The sage gets trimmed throughout the summer to have nice fresh leaves for cooking. True on the cilantro, it does go to seed fast - that I grow in my veggie garden. Yes, mint does spread, so a pot is a must.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  10:37:15 AM  Show Profile
thanks girls, will look into getting that book Libbie.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  10:48:24 AM  Show Profile
Libbie
just ordered the book, got it used for .69 cents plus shipping,pretty good huh?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  7:53:37 PM  Show Profile
read & try! For me, I grow alot of herbs all through the year. Im blessed w/ alot of sunny windows. During the growing season I have them everywhere in window boxes especially by my kitchen door. I cut & snip constantly. Growing herbs is great fun & trial & error. There are many great books on the subject. Go to the library, tons of info.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  2:33:54 PM  Show Profile
Wow - awesome deal on the book! Don't you just LOVE used book shopping on the internet? I hope it's helpful and that you like it - I sure do!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  3:27:20 PM  Show Profile
Libbie
Yes, have to love those used books. Have not got a bad one yet, you would hardly know they were used. I most always get them from Amazon and have never had a problem. Looking forward to the PLEASURE OF HERBS, Might have some good stuff to add to my cooking.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  11:20:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi,I love my Lois Hole book on Herbs & Edible flowers.It has some recipes too. Oh, and when you think about window boxes remember, they need to be 8" deep.I line mine with plastic so the water won't run out the cracks. I also found this stuff that expands when you add water to it,so I mix it in with the bottom soil(it REALLY expands)!.It's great for holding the water moisture in your soil in pots too!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  11:41:59 AM  Show Profile
Dorothy
Still trying to figure out about a window box, would have to water it by opening up my kitchen window, also to get the herbs. Can't reach it from outide, but the screen slides up and down real easy, be nice to just have them right handy when I need them. If not, I will put them on my back porch in a big old wash tub. Still have to wait a few weeks yet, then I can get them started.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  11:51:33 AM  Show Profile
Good for you Nancy, you will enjoy your herb garden to no end! I have a huge one, plus I like to add some to flower beds and mixed in with tomatoes and peppers too. I just couldn't live without a herb garden, nothing compares to fresh herbs, I hang mine in the kitchen for fresh use and just to make the house smell wonderful!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  12:20:26 PM  Show Profile
Sue
Looked at the sites you listed, thanks for posting them, love looking at what others are up to, would love to hear more about your herb growing. LIKE at what point in their growth are you hanging them in your kitchen, are these cuttings that you are hanging? As you can tell I'am in kindergarten when it comes to herbs.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Lily
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

sara
Wasilla Alaska
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  1:24:10 PM  Show Profile
I have some lavender and basil growing from seed. Any suggestions?

Edited by - Lily on Apr 11 2006 5:04:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jules
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Julie
Roswell New Mexico
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  2:40:19 PM  Show Profile
Herbs are also great companion plants for vegetables, and/or fruits. I plant lemon basil with my tomatoes to keep off bad bugs. It also sweetens the tomatoes.

Jules
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic GROWING HERBS Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page