New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Anyone had storms?? Next Topic  

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  09:20:30 AM  Show Profile
It hailed and blew last night, but clear skies and beautiful weather this morning. I went out first thing to look at the tomato plants and fruit trees but everything seems okay, just a few limbs down. Bad weather sure is tough on new gardens. Anyone else been having storms lately??

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  09:41:04 AM  Show Profile
We had some snow during the night, but nothing exciting. You must be much further south than i am if you already have tomato plants in the ground though.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MichelleTN
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Michelle
TN
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  5:19:51 PM  Show Profile
Tennessee was hit with tornados all around us, just Friday 12 people were killed. You can see the damamge here at www.newschannel5.com, the footage is amazing. Scary weather for sure.

Michelle

http://tangledthreadsandknottedyarn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  5:24:53 PM  Show Profile
That kind of weather is SO frightening to me. I'm glad that you are safe, and my heart goes out to those who were closely affected. That footage IS amazing, and, you're right - SCARY! Keep safe!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  11:25:23 AM  Show Profile
Oh BOY!

We had 3 storms w/in 24 hours 2 weeks ago (I think). Our house is notorious for getting hit with lightning, and this one was no exception.

Since 2003, we have lost 3 modems and 4 answering machines, it's getting VERY old! Last week a few storms blew up. We were at work and were caught out in the middle of an animal exhibit for the a.m. one. (Think cow pasture of 38 acres). Needless to say, I wasn't going to get out and touch metal locks and fences. So we sat in a truck and waited for the worst to pass. One tree did get popped. THAT was exciting enough.

Meanwhile, back home, the same storm was brewing. And needless to say, we lost yet another answering machine. Luckily, the 4th time over, it's habit to unplug the computer AND connecting phone modem. Last storm in 2005 had lightning run in on the phone line and it fried EVERYTHING!!. Printer included. It was so powerful that the cover on the little phone box outside the house was blown off. Same for the square power adaptor to the phone inside. We smelled faint burning electrical, and stayed up for almost an hour after that.

So we are slowly starting to look at whole house protectors and lightning rods. All around us is white quartz/flint. Never knew this could be such a good conductor??? The house is old too, and the ground rod probably too shallow.

The storm that hit the night before was pretty cool to watch.

It moved in from West to East, and the black clouds were really interesting. All critters fared ok. The chickens stay hunkered down and the poor dog hides in the bathroom under the wash basin.....which is probably the safest place yet!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Anyone had storms?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page