Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Blood pressure -assisted living found
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Blood pressure -assisted living found Next Topic
Page: of 2

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  3:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Hi Farmgirl sisters,
My blood pressure has been out of control for many weeks now and I'm finally gonna ask ya here for any help ya can give.
It's down to 152/80 at the lowest for a few hours a day...but morning and evening it stays way up to at least 184/100. Dr. has increased both meds and nothing helps. This has only happened since I moved here....to the 12th floor on a high rise apt. I ride the elevator everyday at least a couple times and it's an old rough one. One friend of mine says it's the height and elevator affecting my health. I am very happy here and not really worried about anything...until now with this bp.
:-( I know I need to exercise more and also cut down on salt. I've been on meds for 30 years for this hight bp and it was controlled well for many years. Dr. has told me to go to the ER if it won't go down below 184. I'm tired of doing that and being tested for stroke or heart problems...nothing is ever found except a memory/cognitive problem. I just stay home alot and rest.
Any feedback?

Linda in Scranton, PA

I see trees of green and red roses too...skys of blue and clouds of white, and I think to myself...what a wonderful world.
Louis Armstrong

Edited by - yarnmamma on Feb 27 2010 02:02:28 AM

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  4:30:51 PM  Show Profile
Exercise!!!! I had high blood pressure and was able to control it completely with exercise. We bought a gym membership and I make the 30 minute(one way) drive three times a week. It takes commitment but it has changed my life. I do freeweights a few weight machines, the eliptical and the bike. Hubby and I work out 50 minutes to an hour every Monday Wednesday and either Friday or Saturday depending on our plans. We both feel great. We've been doing this about 18 months. My health has improved too. I used to get bronchitis about 5 times a year and only had it twice last year. Once in the fall and once in the spring. I made it through this fall without it and am still crossing my fingers for the spring. Maybe you could walk a few flights of stairs instead of always using the elevator. Even if you just walk down you will be getting some Cardio.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  4:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I was willing to start trying anything...just need the encouragement and ideas...I'll do some stairs...I can go downstairs easy!

Linda in Scranton, PA

I see trees of green and red roses too...skys of blue and clouds of white, and I think to myself...what a wonderful world.
Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  5:04:46 PM  Show Profile
Linda, there is some evidence that Vitamin D deficiencies can lead to high blood pressure. Some studies have said that in younger women who are deficient, they can develop high bp later in life. Also, some older women who have thyroid problems and low D levels have high bp. I know you said yours has been an ongoing problem, but I wonder if maybe supplementing with D would help?
Your doctor can do a simple blood test to see what your levels are and whether he/she thinks it would be a good thing to try.
I take it to build my immune system, and have found that the arthritis in my knees is much less bothersome.
I know exercise is a definite must for high bp. Maybe just start with a short walk every day, then increase your time?
Hope this helps! Brenda

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  5:38:32 PM  Show Profile
I joined Curves just a year ago.. I am glad because it helped bringing dowm my high BP! I go at least 3 times a week.. just for 30 minutes! Sometimes and mostly go 4 times.
Hubby pays for my membership... so that is my motivator to keep going.

Maybe Curves be a possibility for you?
:o)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  06:53:52 AM  Show Profile
goodmorning, well i want to step in here. just a thought. since i study environments, i think you need to consider your surroundings. this may sound odd at first. there are many articles that explain how your bp can go up. i see you are in a new place. do you have new carpet or floors, furniture? new paint on walls will outgas or dry for a very long time. just as you smell cookies in a hot oven, we breathe what is in our home. if it is your new place. you could buy a good air filter. i use foust. they build clean rooms. they use clean charcoal stainless steel and fans that are sealed. affordable. one way the body copes with stresses is to raise bp. body tries to work to cope at a higher level. reduce stress, physical or emtional such as your height and elavater rides as was suggested by the farmgirls and a clean home. maybe this could help you. we are all different. just a thought sherrye
Go to Top of Page

Peace2u2
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Debi
Hudson NY
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  7:34:26 PM  Show Profile
ask your doctor to run a gFR and microalbumin. If they are normal, ask to follow up with an ultrasound of your kidneys. Also, have your water checked. There are cooperative extensions all across this country. Many will check your water for free. Good luck!

All things good are possible with a bit of sun, soil, and love.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  8:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
thanks for the input....things I haven't thought of..
I'll ask my dr about the medical tests...good ideas.

Linda in Scranton, PA

Thoughts become things... choose the good ones! www.tut.com
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  07:31:05 AM  Show Profile
Linda
Walk UP the stairs! Going down is much harder on the knees and hips. This I know because of training for the firefighter stairclimb. If you can't do the 12 flights, start with one or two and work your way up. lol

Garlic is another easy thing to add to your diet and helps with blood pressure. There are other herbs you can take too. Yoga and meditation help with stress which will also help with blood pressure issues.

Taking extra Vit D, as suggested before, is a really good idea. Our department Doc was saying that many, many people are critically low on their Vit D levels and don't know it.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  11:54:36 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I know you said they have checked for stroke, but did they do an MRI? I have a friend who just went through this, in fact she is in the hospital now. Today they did an MRI and said she did in fact have a stroke.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  4:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
In the MRIs that I have had they look for tumors and didn't see a stroke...but that has been many years now.
My latest bp med increase was a couple of weeks ago...and that was the 4th increase within 3 months...today it was 170/80 so still high...I'll go have it taken again tomorrow and I think I should insist on some testing ...the strange thing is it was managed very well for about 15 years until just the last 3 months...since I moved here.

Linda in Scranton, PA

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  4:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I hadn't thought about vitamins...I haven't taken vitamins in years....
yoga is a very good idea too...haven't tried that but I would enjoy it.

Linda in Scranton, PA

Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  08:47:36 AM  Show Profile
Linda - a regular exercise program is going to help more than anything. Seriously - check into Curves. It's a program for women only, one that is fun and easy to do. The staff are the most encouraging women ever (maybe they're all Farm Girls?" and the price is very reasonable. You'll see results quickly - and that helps with motivation. Yoga would be a great thing to do, too.

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  06:52:01 AM  Show Profile
Linda,
Celery also lowers blood pressure. When my husbands gets a little high we start walking more and I put him on strickly celery snacks with a heart healthy diet.

Blessings,
Tina
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  3:20:00 PM  Show Profile
I second the garlic. I took my late husband to the ER with sky high blood pressure once and they were having trouble getting it down and he was miserable. His legs were swollen up really badly and horribly discolored. A nurse came in and told him to raise up his tongue. She priced a garlic capsule with a pin and squirted it under his tongue. They had the blood pressure cuff timed to take his BP every 5 minutes. Well, they brought in a sports injury and kind of ignored us for a while, but I started writing down the readings on the paper on the bed whenever it went off. I could not believe how quickly his blood pressure was dropping!!! After that he took garlic pills daily and it helped a lot. His problem was he would get a garlic taste sometimes, but I've heard the pills they make now are much better. So you might try that or using garlic in your cooking.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  3:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
great ideas...thanks!

Linda in Scranton, PA

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  11:53:25 AM  Show Profile
Are you retaining fluid? I agree about checking the kidneys. My sister in law is a very thin girl but her BP was really high. After many test, it proved that it was her kidneys. Have they checked you for diabetes? My husband never had any problems with his BP until after he got diabetes. Just a thought. You a in my prayers that they can find someway to get your down.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  01:56:26 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Hi all, I was checked for diabetes. It is normal.
No swelling. I am not sure if kidneys are tested when the complete blood test is done twice a year. I can ask.

I was in the hospital for 3 days last week...went in with extremely high bp.... No heart attack and not alot of pain. After going to the ER with 224/107 bp and all this dificulty I realize it's time for assisted living.

I left the hospital with a new script-- an increase in one.
The pharmacy took a week to get it filled after I had forgotten it myself for 3 days..The pharmacy has made mistakes before..usually giving too small of a dose...grr

It is so hard to manage these days. I have real memory problems --on the new patch Excelon, not real demintia yet or Alzheimers. Doctors say to try the patch to see if it helps.

I tried everywhere I could go to get help with my med management and the only thing available are volunteers that call with a reminder to take morning pill. I just can't keep up with all the refills and asking Dr for new script after the refills are gone.
I have 7 different prescriptions with some once a day, some twice a day and one of them is 3 times a day....some as needed, one is once a week....

The Neurologist said to start looking for assisted living months ago, (because of memory loss)

I woke up in the middle of the night a few days ago and thought I'd missed night dose so took all the meds for the night on the wrong day...making it a double dose I had taken .....one of them being a heart rate med. I see this as life threatening. When I have a bp episode they test me for stroke or heart attack.

I found a place. It is not a nursing home. Residents are not bedridden and have freedom to come and go. Meds are managed, healthy meals are provided and transportation to appointments. The only drawback is roommates. I can live with the roommate situation and thank God there is a place for me. The good healthy meals sounds great! The manager said it is like a family and they care for each other like a family does.

I could use some encouragement from ya'll in this major life change.

Linda in Scranton, PA

Jesus is a feminist.

Edited by - yarnmamma on Feb 27 2010 05:42:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  04:05:20 AM  Show Profile
Linda--I'm glad you found a place you like. It's not an easy decision but you have to do what's best for you. Keeping track of your meds. is no easy task. I am praying that you will get a good roommate and make many new friends. Just be sure to keep in touch with us!
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  05:05:24 AM  Show Profile
(((((HUGS)))))))
This has got to be a hard decision to make. I'm thinking its for the best tho' and you won't have to wonder if you've taken your meds or not....that would be a blessing! Take care and keep in touch ok? Love and light

Email me any time and if I can I'll get right back to you =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  05:28:47 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Thanks so much for the hugs and encouragement.

I am trying to shorten the long post....lol

Linda in Scranton, PA

Jesus is a feminist.
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  06:26:20 AM  Show Profile
Linda I so glad to hear you found a nice place where you know you will be confortable. I have a friend who just moved to assisted living and she loves it. Praying you find that also. Will you still be able to stay in touch with us on this site? Sure hope so, because we would miss talking with you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  06:45:50 AM  Show Profile
Awwww Linda! (((HUGS)))
I am glad that you are strong enough to know that you need minor help with things. Now you'll have assistance when you need them. I hope you'll stay in touch with us too. I have grown fond of you.

(((HUGS)))
BIGGER (((HUGS)))
:o)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus ...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
My Etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures ...http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  1:12:14 PM  Show Profile

I know this could not have been an easy decision to make...but you are being very wise and responsible to make the choice to live somewhere that people are there to help take care of your needs...and prayerfully you will make new friends that will be there for you during this major change in your life...

Blessings...

Judy

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  1:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Today I feel very sad about it all. I'm thinking that maybe I just got too scared the other day in the hospital. It's very hard to not have family or someone I can ask for rides, etc. This is an area of the country that does not want to help anyone that is not blood family...it's just not heard of.

There are friends I am making here that I enjoy knowing...the idea of having no privacy and sharing a bedroom is very hard to accept. I'm glad I haven't signed anything yet. Today I don't want to go at all.

I've got an earache after blowing my nose too hard, along with toothache from bad tooth...waaa wanna cry. :-(

Linda in Scranton, PA

Jesus is a feminist.
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  3:06:42 PM  Show Profile
Awwwwe Linda
(((HUGS)))... maybe go to a different assisted living place.. even if it is another town or state?

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus ...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
My Etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures ...http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Blood pressure -assisted living found Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page