Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Farmgirls! What is your Farmgoal for 2010?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farmgirls! What is your Farmgoal for 2010? Next Topic
Page: of 3

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  03:50:51 AM  Show Profile
Happy New Year everyone! My 2010 Farmgoal is to go "greener".
I also hope to do more renovation on the old farmhouse & build more
raised gardens. I also have other things on the list, but if I can accomplish those I will be happy.

~Vicky~

It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.
--- Laura Ingalls Wilder

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  06:27:40 AM  Show Profile
Vicky, I would love to have a CSA. But I really need to clean this place up. I need to paint the chicken house-stall out front. Build a hay barn. I would love to have someone that could live in my little house and work here for board. I'd love to be certified to sell goat and cow milk at least for pet consumption. And to make cheese and soaps. I am trying to make alot of soaps to sell at the farmer's market in the spring now. But to have a working, educational farm would be my goal. Something to work towards. But when it's just me doing most of the work, it's hard to get there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  09:35:51 AM  Show Profile
Iwas laid off at end of November so now will work full time to grow and sell organic (we have 2 acres) and am raising annuals and perennials for sale as well. So hopefully that is my employment plan for the year and with luck and hard work this will be my next venture. Also, put more time and energy into my little store that I have on the property to sell my homemade crafts. I have been asked by several people to do their homecanning and be paid for that as well. So will take this and fly with it.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  10:24:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
My goal is to eat more organic, read my bible more, get closer to God.

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/justanotherhousewife
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  11:23:23 AM  Show Profile
On the forum front, I'm hoping for more members for our Farmgirl co-op group. And, to have the "Surprise shop week" be a success.
On the homefront, we have a spot cleared for an organic garden. We will be selling any extra produce to neighbors and friends for extra money.
I hope to find a shop to put my handmade things in. I sell them really good in person, but not off my etsy shop.
I'm a bible instructor, so I'm praying for a bible student in 2010. I love to teach people about God.
And, the list goes on and on.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage tote bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
Go to Top of Page

Tes
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Nancy
New Jersey
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  6:04:59 PM  Show Profile
One of my goals is to learn how to navigate the MJF website with all the forums, etc! My next real goal is to be a more loving wife and mother, as well as to start my own little farmette! Maybe start with a few chickens, and some raised bed gardens. I need to start small as this is new to me and I work full time, so living the farm dream will have to be one step at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  11:12:43 AM  Show Profile
I live in the burbs. My dream is a farm but as I work toward that I want to start a vegetable garden and an herb garden. We have plenty of room for that.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  11:24:41 AM  Show Profile
To add more and new types of veggys to my gardens, another steer or 2 for more fresh beef, try and promote 4-H more, it seems to be becomeing a bygone era in my area, I would hate to see our fair going away due to not enough interest anymore.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  2:18:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
my things to do this year. (This being our first summer in our new house and our first summer living together!) I would love to get the garden up and going. I love plants and i want to have another garden. I had one at my old house but didnt plant anything in it last year because i just didnt have time. But this summer i want to grow and grow and grow! I also want more flowers around the house! I want to eat more veggies, go more green, and to get the house in order finally! OH, i dont think i would mind getting engaged this year either he he.... but that all up to the BF!

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/

Check out my ETSY store too! I'm loving it!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Claudiascraftshop
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  04:20:08 AM  Show Profile
This year I will take cues from last year's garden and plant a little differently. I am going to frame out my three garden beds and fence in my yard (double lot). I am helping to change the city ordinance for backyard chickens, so if that flies I will have some chickens. After the planting is done I am going to build a greenhouse on my slab of cement on the south side of my garage. I have collected enough recycled windows to build it. Hopefully I will have some winter crops in there (fresh salads). Continue on the self sufficient lifestyle, especially when it comes to food, and last but not least, count my blessings everyday!

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  06:54:55 AM  Show Profile
As far as my farm goes, I plan on cleaning up around the place - selling scrap where we can, cutting down brush and fence lines. I want to add at least five raised beds to my garden, and get my herb bed established. If at all possible, I want to add a milk cow and a milking station to my barn. I'm determined to make Paradise as self-sufficient as possible, so my goals and plans are geared in that direction. I also want to increase our farm income by 10%, but unfortunately, to do that it probably means increasing our expenses by about 25%. Fortunately, they will be one time expenditures, so that'll make it better for 2011. Amanda, I'm with you. I want to read my Bible more, and just be a better child of His. My Bible verse for 2010 is I Thessalonians 4:11. I think it's a great one to adopt, both from a personal perspective and a farming one!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  11:41:04 AM  Show Profile
We plan to build a new peacock pen this spring and plant a larger garden this year with more variety. I'd like to plant more flowers than we did last year. We need to prune quite a few of our trees in the orchard and plan to get that done fairly soon. We need to finish expanding the dogs' kennel. And there are many improvements we want to do in the house. One is to lay a tile floor in our dining room. Also I'd like to varnish the floors, but that might be later on in the year or maybe next year.

Personally I want to live a more positive life and to grow as a Christian and as a woman.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  12:18:48 PM  Show Profile
My plan is to stick to a budget. And make sure my husband does too. This will help us save the money we need to pay off debts and have enough money for a down payment for the farm we are renting. We should have this done by this time next yr. and then I will get back next year on what we will be doing after we have bought this farm.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

guerin
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Jennifer
Shandon Ohio
88 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  12:40:29 PM  Show Profile
My goal is to get my budget back on track, It slipped off the track last year. I also want to start a blog for working moms. If any of you lovely bloggers have any words of wisdom, I would love to hear them :)

Other than that, just try to live the simpler life. Get back to my farm girl roots. Put out a garden again :)
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  9:17:42 PM  Show Profile
My goal is to be more self-sufficient this year. We're ordering meat chicks in the spring and plan on setting up beehives by March. The seed catalog's are out and the garden is being planned. We have plans for a new chicken yard and have the supplies to build a chicken tractor. This summer we'll add a corral to make working with the cows a little easier. There are fences to mend, firewood to chop and trees to plant. Now, if I can just figure out how to add hours to the day....*sigh*

Farmgirl #783
http://jabezfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  1:39:51 PM  Show Profile
My farm goal is to have a better garden this year (my pregnancy got the better of my garden ambitions last year) and to raise a crop of pumpkins. Several friends in town have been begging me to do U-pick pumpkins for their kids.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  6:11:15 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
My resolution is to do the things I have been either afraid too or talked out of. I"m going to start my own business. Period.

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  11:06:25 PM  Show Profile
my N.Y. resolution....to be content just to be me....

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  08:28:44 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I have loved going back thru and re-reading this entire thread this morning. I really love all the plans and post. If I had to choose just one farmgirl goal this year it would be to really build the sisterhood & supporting the farm more. Getting farmgirls to understand that being a sister isn't just about getting badges (although, I LOVE THAT PART), but it is also an outward sign that says, we love and support the farm and each other so much that we are willing to throw our $20 into the ring as an outward sign of my committment and support. Oh sure I know it isn't popular to say such things (and I am sure the Queen Bee herself is cringing). Often times it is way to easy to take things for granted until they aren't here, I think it is human nature. While certainly I know that MOST, if not all of us are passionate about what we have here, it is my committment to support the farm this year in every way that I can. It is easy for us to forget that it is a business and these are hard economic times for all. Just maybe they need us, as much as we need them.

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com
www.renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  10:29:42 AM  Show Profile
OK Rene, you've sparked my interest and if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you to tell me more. I have to admit I've been confused about the whole farmgirl sister hood thing and what the money is helping to do. I agree that times are hard for everyone, myself included. I've not signed up in the past because I thought it was all about the merit badges and with a 2 month old baby, I didn't want to commit to anything else. But if there is more to it, than by all means, PLEASE explain. Our little farm is only a year old so I'm learning everything by the seat of my pants and I've learned one valuable lesson, if you don't know... ask around.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  4:03:42 PM  Show Profile
Great reply Rene! That really should be on the top of all of our lists. I have never seen such an amazing group of woman and the support they give each other. The closeness, generosity and genuine sister friendships that evolve here are amazing. By all means support the farm, without it we all wouldn't be here together!

~Vicky~

It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.
--- Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  5:09:16 PM  Show Profile
#1 goal, pay off the credit cards, I figured it up and told hubs I need 24 days of overtime to do this and he said he will do his best. Enlarge the garden and figure out why we have trouble growing corn and potaoes. Get LeaLou and Lucy Mae to puppy school, learn how to knit, get more proficent at making goat milk soap and goat cheese, slow down and enjoy life more.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  5:18:45 PM  Show Profile
Rene, I have to admit I don't know much about the "farm " either. I don't really understand the badges, some of the groups, etc. I think there might be a lot of girls like me that stumbled on here and just write and make friends on here. Maybe you could write a good explanation of how everything works.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  12:03:29 PM  Show Profile
Continue to pay off our bills and expand the farm a little every year!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  1:43:49 PM  Show Profile
I succeeded in getting both vehicles paid off last year, so the debt is dwindling but not completely subdued yet. I want to keep paying down debt util I have "Slayed the Dragon!!"

I have so many goals for my own farm that I'm having to narrow them down so I can focus and actually accomplish them instead of ending up running in too many directions at once and accomplishing nothing.

So far my main focus is:

Chickens
Pigs
Tripling the size of my garden
starting a small orchard (really small, like maybe 10 trees of different varieties, enough of the same to pollinate one another).

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  10:45:59 PM  Show Profile
I live in the city but will have a garden this year - even if it's pots on my patio. I'm also going to eat locally and try to eat more organically. I love this thread and seeing what everyone's plans and goals are.

Good post Rene!! Well said!

Handmade Soap, Lotion Bars & More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farmgirls! What is your Farmgoal for 2010? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page