AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  11:14:31 AM  Show Profile
Here's our little patch in Northern Nevada. It's 3.3 acres, and mostly compacted, dried out horse pasture. But we're trying to change that. We have 5 horses, 7 chickens and a roo, a turkey hen, 4 dogs, a cat, and pond fish living in a horse trough on the porch, waiting patiently for their pond.

This is last years green-ness.

Full horses taking a nap in what's left of a large bale (1/2 ton) This is our "bottom pasture". I try to nurture up the wee bit of grass that comes through. Mostly it's where I ride and work horses. We talk of punching a well (it's a seperate lot, so it should be ok) and planting something. Clover and grasses? Right now it gets taken over by a nasty weed called Curly Dock. Very suited to the desert, those orange roots go down for feet!! And it comes back like no other.

The turkeys were sooo fun! You should have seen them playing in the sprinkler with the boys on those HOT summer days.

The chickens trekking back down to the garden, their winter home, to see if I left any goodies for them. We're hoping that the addition of the straw and bird manure will give our soil a boost. Ok, we know it will, as we have heavy heavy clay soil.

Alicia

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson

www.blondenak.blogspot.com

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  12:42:53 PM  Show Profile
Alicia,
Thanks for sharing your pictures - it's nice to see where you live. We are thinking of moving out to the country (I'm REALLY hoping). The house we live in has been home to my husbands family since 1936 but we have 5 nice acres a little south of here and also 5 acres in the foothills of the blue ridge mountains. We want a few chickens, a donkey and maybe a milk goat.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  1:09:50 PM  Show Profile
I love the pics of the turkeys. Nice place you have there.

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  1:44:02 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Lessie Louise. The turkeys were a blast. If you were hanging out on the grass they wanted to be too.

Kathy-Hope you get to move out to the country. I had a few goats, just for fun, but my fencing isn't set for goats. They were in a fenced in pen, which they were constantly trying to break out of, and when I did let them out to eat weeds and such the first thing they would do is jump on my car! And then run for the hay stack. They have quite the personalities, so I'd consider getting more, as long as my fences were set up to keep them out of areas I didn't want them in!

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson

Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  08:59:48 AM  Show Profile
Great pictures! I love to see what other people are doing. :) Looks like a fantastic place to be...those turkeys are adorable!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  10:15:36 AM  Show Profile
Alicia, you have a beautiful place, too. Don't ya just love clothes on the line blowing in the breeze? It looks very peaceful there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  2:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you so much for sharing your farm with us Alicia!! It's beautiful!!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  2:28:01 PM  Show Profile
It looks beautiful! Can't wait for my own mini farm! Thank you so much for sharing and I love the turkey pics too =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  08:13:14 AM  Show Profile
The new haystack. I love looking out my window and seeing that! Living in the desert, where grazing for the horses is mostly non existent most of the year, that stack is security to me!

And the chickens like it too.

www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  08:17:48 AM  Show Profile
What a great place! You must really be enjoying it!
I love that last picture of the chicken in the haystack with the egg, lol, do you have to go on a hunt to find the eggs there?! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  08:25:40 AM  Show Profile
Alicia, that is a lovely place! Thanks for sharing!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  08:38:29 AM  Show Profile
Yep Brenda, they've abandoned the nest box in favor of the haystack. Which is fine. The haystack is closer to the house, so there less chance of an egg being dropped. And that pocket in the hay goes deep, so I keep a child sized rake right there to pull them to the front. 6 to 7 eggs a day, I find in the hay! (the kids are doing Dr. Suess stuff at school this week, so that rhyme fits right in!)

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  6:32:04 PM  Show Profile
I love the pics of the chickens in the hay. Chickens can just make theirselves at home anywhere, can't they? hahaha I like that other pic of them running towards the garden too! Nothing says "Farm" like chickys!

Sister-chick# 905(Oct.7th2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  4:40:45 PM  Show Profile
Mrs. T has started laying eggs! WHooo Hoooo! She doesn't know it, but she has saved her butt (and breast, thighs, wings) from the stew pot. I told Mike if she didn't start laying, and didn't accept the turkey poults due to come in the end of April, that we could eat her. That's why we got her in the first place. But these eggs are huge! even next to our already large chicken eggs.
This is today's find, number 2 and 3 for Mrs. T.

And I think she'll be a great foster mom. She seems like she's starting to get a little nesty/broody minded, and she's definitely lonely.

Alicia
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  5:47:15 PM  Show Profile
wow those are some might fine eggs i guess she heard you and figured she better get going
nice hen house too..lol
you should use the picture as a postcard its too cute
lots of luck
deborah

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  05:36:36 AM  Show Profile
Alicia, thanks for sharing. Your little piece of earth looks marvelous. Your chickens in the hay are the cutest. It's nice to see different areas of the country. Wisconsin looks very different from Nevada. DH and I are looking for our 10-40 acres and it's nice to see our options.
Thanks for sharing!

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  06:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hooray for Mrs. T! Great pics, Alicia. Love the haystack chickens.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

lindyfran
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

LINDY
shelton WA
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  10:01:17 AM  Show Profile
Great Pictures..how exactly did you post them?, I am trying w no luck..I followed directions ..ps-Any one interested in joining our Sweet little Farm community in washington? pictures coming, we have a farm home group home.

Lady who owns a farm that wants it to be nurtured,cared for & a real working farm
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Our little chunk of dirt Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page